Is Byrd Replaceable?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Need him.

For the first time in a while it might not be necessary to "need" a player to keep him.

Williams might make a very good replacement.

But with all the cap room the Bills have and the urgent need to start winning "wanting" to keep a player might be enough to make it worthwhile to retain him.

I keep seeing the comments of Aaron Williams being capable of replacing Byrd. Free safety is not the same as strong safety. Byrd and Williams do not play the same position. The last couple of games we have had both on the field at the same time and that is a great thing. With two great safeties roaming the backfield while our defensive line is putting pressure on QBs, this defense is much better. Also, guys like Searcy are contributing. Having Byrd, and Williams on the field at the same time, Searcy is actually lining up like a LB. QBs are then fooled into thinking their receiver has an advantage over Searcy because they think LBs are too slow. Searcy however is a S/LB hybrid that can cover.

Make no mistake, having as much talent as possible in the backfield is a huge advantage for us. Our DBs aren't too bad either, this really makes things difficult for an opposing offense. Our DC is really starting to turn things around for our defense. I really hate it when fans think getting rid of good players and good professionals is somehow good for the team. In Byrd's case, there isn't anyone out there that can replace him and bring what he brings to the table. To think otherwise is foolhardy.

Another thing that kind of gets in my craw is, while Byrd was holding out, I am certain he knew about his medical condition. He had issues with it last year. Who's to say the Bills brass didn't also know about it and also new he wouldn't be able to play right away anyway. None of us are insiders. Why do we presume to know that Byrd is unhappy here or that he is only interested in the biggest payday? I'm certain anyone would want to do what's best for their own future. Byrd has said that he wants to play where he is wanted. That tells me he is going to let the market decide. Too me I see a guy who is trying to wisely secure his future and play where he is wanted the most. Letting the market decide does that for him. That is not a bad thing. Perhaps it is for the Bills in the end but that doesn't make him a bad person. Then again, maybe the the Bills and Byrd find a place where they both can agree and he is with us long term. Call me crazy, but I think that could happen.

Edited by Rockinon

For the first time in a while it might not be necessary to "need" a player to keep him.

Williams might make a very good replacement.

But with all the cap room the Bills have and the urgent need to start winning "wanting" to keep a player might be enough to make it worthwhile to retain him.

One of the main reasons I want the Bills to sign, or at least slap the tag on Byrd is the premise that doing so MIGHT prevent the Bills from wasting another prime draft selection on a defensive back.

We have glaring needs, to include another pass rusher, LB, LG, another OT, and of course TE. This if Manuel doesn't get hurt or fall apart.

Byrd is a fine safety. It's not as if we need the cap space to pay 20 million per season to our quarterback and the money is there. The Bills have the upper hand because of the tag, and they truly need to play hardball with Parker, who btw I would hire as my agent if I was a player.

A big - BIG - part of all this is the Bills F.O. actually knowing what they want to do, and having a plan! Half the time it seems like these contract situations take them by surprise. If they want Byrd, then they better either be willing to pay him what he will ultimately demand, or they better have a final number they won't go beyond; and, if that is the case, they better have a second plan in place to TRADE him, to get some value out of letting this guy walk. It seems, ultimately, pretty simple to me. If Byrd is absolutely set on taking the highest bid, and he knows what other teams are willing to pay him, and the Bills know they won't exceed a certain number, then it is up to them to have a sound option - trading - ready. Because, IMO, franchising him again is only going to screw the Bills. He has already shown he can be an impact player in any defensive system he's asked to play in. He could hold out (in the 2nd Franchise year) and not play till week 10, then show up with his "foot" injury, which is really hard to prove fake - and not play the whole year, collect his total 8 million or so, and every team in the NFL would sympathize with Byrd, because they'd all be telling themselves, "we would've paid the man". So - pay him, or trade him. Do not franchise him with the intent of trying to force him to play another year.

Now, don't get me wrong. I would love it it Jairus Byrd and the Buffalo Bills came to a long term deal in which both sides are happy and a very talented safety is out there playing his heart out for us. But as the season wears on, and we've heard rumblings that Byrd is unhappy, and he seems to refuse to play with the same injury he had during the best season of his career (and one that his teammate Mario Williams is productively playing through). He seems to not want to be here.

So with that in mind, I have to ask: How irreplaceable is Byrd to this defense?

Yes, we could use him out there. Our DB corps is one of the most snakebitten in the league and I am counting the days until Gilmore comes back. But how much would they improve by the return of Byrd as compared to Gilmore or...I can't believe that I'm saying this, McKelvin?

Aaron Williams has done a surprisingly good job transitioning to safety, and oddly enough, it seems that his time there has made him a better CB as well. Seacry, while certainly leaving something to be desired is a good run stuffer and has made some big plays. And the veteran Jim Leonard has looked pretty damn good.

Of course, we may have to lose Williams to CB duty from time to time, and Leonard is reaching the end of his career, but this seems to be something that can be solved with the draft or picking up some depth in FA while our last two safety picks develop. So I want to ask: with a group which has gotten 9 interceptions in four games without Byrd, how badly do we need him back?

Is he replaceable? Yes!

Would the replacement be as good? No!

Should we do all to keep him? Yes!

The problem with having to replace Byrd is the same as every other position when we let a good player walk. We have to expend a top pick on a position that we already had filled and that leaves us with one more opening. It is a never ending cycle that destroyed this football team for over ten years. Instead of getting Oline help we will have to draft a safety or sign a high dollar less quality safety FA.

I would rather have Levitre than Byrd, and I think the coaches and EJ, CJ and Freddy would all agree at this point.

Aaron Williams did a fine job of replacing Byrd, while Brown and Legursky have been steamrolled all season on our rookie qb's blindside.

Marrone was telling CJ to yell at his Oline for not blocking, I say yell at your front office for letting our best O lineman walk to save money. Fools.

But now that one of them is gone, it makes sense to keep the other. We have the $$, he's a good FS, lets not be idiots AGAIN and lose more talent.

I would rather have Levitre than Byrd, and I think the coaches and EJ, CJ and Freddy would all agree at this point.

Aaron Williams did a fine job of replacing Byrd, while Brown and Legursky have been steamrolled all season on our rookie qb's blindside.

Marrone was telling CJ to yell at his Oline for not blocking, I say yell at your front office for letting our best O lineman walk to save money. Fools.

But now that one of them is gone, it makes sense to keep the other. We have the $$, he's a good FS, lets not be idiots AGAIN and lose more talent.

So, you think Buffalo should make Byrd the highest paid safety in the NFL? Because that is what he has been and will be asking for. Is he worth it?

Now, don't get me wrong. I would love it it Jairus Byrd and the Buffalo Bills came to a long term deal in which both sides are happy and a very talented safety is out there playing his heart out for us. But as the season wears on, and we've heard rumblings that Byrd is unhappy, and he seems to refuse to play with the same injury he had during the best season of his career (and one that his teammate Mario Williams is productively playing through). He seems to not want to be here.

So with that in mind, I have to ask: How irreplaceable is Byrd to this defense?

Yes, we could use him out there. Our DB corps is one of the most snakebitten in the league and I am counting the days until Gilmore comes back. But how much would they improve by the return of Byrd as compared to Gilmore or...I can't believe that I'm saying this, McKelvin?

Aaron Williams has done a surprisingly good job transitioning to safety, and oddly enough, it seems that his time there has made him a better CB as well. Seacry, while certainly leaving something to be desired is a good run stuffer and has made some big plays. And the veteran Jim Leonard has looked pretty damn good.

Of course, we may have to lose Williams to CB duty from time to time, and Leonard is reaching the end of his career, but this seems to be something that can be solved with the draft or picking up some depth in FA while our last two safety picks develop. So I want to ask: with a group which has gotten 9 interceptions in four games without Byrd, how badly do we need him back?

To answer your question with a question , how good would this DB squad be & how many INT's would Byrd have if he started the year healthy & if he was in OTA's & mini camp ??

If he wouldn't have had his contract thing going on & been there from the beginning & been healthy Byrd would have been a huge factor in this D & would have been in the pro-bowl again as a hands down starter not a second !!

Players like Byrd come along seldom so yes we should do all we can to keep him in a Bills Uni !!

Edited by T master

Aaron Williams did not replace Byrd. The two play entirely different positions. One is a free safety and the other a strong safety. Why is it people don't get this?

Aaron Williams did not replace Byrd. The two play entirely different positions. One is a free safety and the other a strong safety. Why is it people don't get this?

I am wondering if any of the scheme-knowledgeable posters here might be able to give some feedback as to which safety(SS or FS) is more important to Pettine's defense? Jboyst62 maybe? Anyone with more understanding of this than me would do. :)

I am wondering if any of the scheme-knowledgeable posters here might be able to give some feedback as to which safety(SS or FS) is more important to Pettine's defense? Jboyst62 maybe? Anyone with more understanding of this than me would do. :)

Free safety - much more oriented towards passing game and thought of somewhat as a "last line of defense" in that aspect of the game. May serve as the double cover in some dime and nickel packages.

Strong safety - also asked to cover, but thought of as being more important to assisting in the running game. Has to be able to tackle pretty much like a linebacker.

There's overlap for sure, but Aaron Williams strengths aren't the same as Byrd's.

Free safety - much more oriented towards passing game and thought of somewhat as a "last line of defense" in that aspect of the game. May serve as the double cover in some dime and nickel packages.

Strong safety - also asked to cover, but thought of as being more important to assisting in the running game. Has to be able to tackle pretty much like a linebacker.

There's overlap for sure, but Aaron Williams strengths aren't the same as Byrd's.

Yeah, I understand their different roles(generally).....I was more interested in the importance of their positions in relation to the scheme we typically use if any.