Is Byrd Replaceable?

I think you're a good poster K-9 but this is some crazy talk. JL was off the scrap heap, people wanted to cut Searcy and Williams, now one of the best S in the game won't help the defense. Some of you need to separate the contract stuff from the player. Byrd is far superior to anyone on the Bills' roster at S.

Biscuit, you missed my meaning, which is, until Byrd decides to get in the lineup, he's useless. And ANYBODY is exponentially better in the system at the moment.

I won't take back my comment about him getting beat deep though. It's happened more than I'd like to see out of an elite player.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Biscuit, you missed my meaning, which is, until Byrd decides to get in the lineup, he's useless. And ANYBODY is exponentially better in the system at the moment.

I won't take back my comment about him getting beat deep though. It's happened more than I'd like to see out of an elite player.

GO BILLS!!!

Agreed and I love the attitude of the team moving on without him. But it would be foolish to think the Bills won't be better off without a Pro Bowler back there.

Agreed and I love the attitude of the team moving on without him. But it would be foolish to think the Bills won't be better off without a Pro Bowler back there.

CB, I'm not disagreeing that Byrd would be an improvement. I'm just wondering if he's worth overpaying. Some guys are worth breaking the bank for. Safeties usually don't fit that bill (no pun intended). I don't know if the Bills' D is "a Pro Bowl safety away," from being dominant. They're doing well without him. Bring Gilmore and McKelvin back healthy and he becomes even less necessary, IMO.

CB, I'm not disagreeing that Byrd would be an improvement. I'm just wondering if he's worth overpaying. Some guys are worth breaking the bank for. Safeties usually don't fit that bill (no pun intended). I don't know if the Bills' D is "a Pro Bowl safety away," from being dominant. They're doing well without him. Bring Gilmore and McKelvin back healthy and he becomes even less necessary, IMO.

Agreed with that and that's the dilemma the Bills' front office is facing.

The whole time, I think both sides have valid points. IMO, Byrd is maybe the best defensive playmaker we have had in forever (Kiko is challenging for the title already. Oregon has been good to Buffalo) He is one of the best at his positions. Fans are letting their personal feelings get in the way of good judgment. This D is much better with Byrd playing.

But I do agree long term, I'm not sure I would pay that much. IMO, I think in a pass first league, S is more important than a G. But how much is that worth? I'm honestly not sure.

Agreed with that and that's the dilemma the Bills' front office is facing.

The whole time, I think both sides have valid points. IMO, Byrd is maybe the best defensive playmaker we have had in forever (Kiko is challenging for the title already. Oregon has been good to Buffalo) He is one of the best at his positions. Fans are letting their personal feelings get in the way of good judgment. This D is much better with Byrd playing.

But I do agree long term, I'm not sure I would pay that much. IMO, I think in a pass first league, S is more important than a G. But how much is that worth? I'm honestly not sure.

If they actually took that money and spent it on another position (and spent money on other players so they were near the cap) I'd agree that it's a very tough decision. But as it stands now, with $20M in cap space remaining overpaying doesn't seem like a big deal. Why do Bills fans care if the team has $12M in cap space left or $20M?

If they actually took that money and spent it on another position (and spent money on other players so they were near the cap) I'd agree that it's a very tough decision. But as it stands now, with $20M in cap space remaining overpaying doesn't seem like a big deal. Why do Bills fans care if the team has $12M in cap space left or $20M?

Because any big contract is going to be big every single year of the contract. That means that in 3 years time when we have to give EJ a $25mil/year deal to pay him what he's worth, there will be a chunk less money because we chose a few years earlier to overpay lesser talented players at lesser important positions.

Byrd will come back and will be celebrated here as if this never happened.

As long as they don't overpay him, I'd celebrate his return. I don't like the "injury" crap he's pulling, but for the right price, I'd get over it.

Byrd HAS been replaced. Overall the D looks much better than last year. It's about team rather than pussyfoot individuals.

Exactly. Would have been nice if he had joined the team but he's choosen not to, so !@#$ him.

Byrd will come back and will be celebrated here as if this never happened.

That would require him agreeing to a longterm deal in Buffalo and the odds of that happening appear slim.

I think that the stellar effort put in by the noname DBs this week will prompt Byrd to return to action, because now there will be even more people asking if it's him or the schemes. If he still wants the top dollar FS contract next year, he needs to suit up.

It's the NFL, someone will take the risk of over-paying for him

Either way it will be viewed as a mistake. If they let him go they will be ridiculed for not paying him. If they pay him they would have overpaid. The only answer is for him to take what he is worth. He is good, but is he the best safety in the league? All I can say to Byrd is prove it on the field. Now that you have a better supporting cast and a better scheme, prove your the best. Sitting on the bench isn't going to get you "PAID" by any team.

Either way it will be viewed as a mistake. If they let him go they will be ridiculed for not paying him. If they pay him they would have overpaid. The only answer is for him to take what he is worth. He is good, but is he the best safety in the league? All I can say to Byrd is prove it on the field. Now that you have a better supporting cast and a better scheme, prove your the best. Sitting on the bench isn't going to get you "PAID" by any team.

Nice first post....welcome. :thumbsup:

I think similarly. He has an opportunity to show that he is worth the money that he wants. He needs to take that opportunity and run with it IMO.

There is little question Byrd is potential top 10 safety TALENT. But just like Da'Rick and hundreds of other NFL players who had talent, there are other factors like heart, desire, focus and willingness to put in the effort required to turn that talent into results on the field. His actions this preseason/season and his Byrddogging make it difficult for me to believe he will ever again be willing or able to put in the effort or make the sacrifices required to turn that talent into results on the field for THIS team.

I think his mind is so poisoned against the Bills organization that him being the player he was is now impossible. His not playing out of spite is so against logic and his own self interest that it shows just how far beyond repair his attitude is. If he had went out on the field and played his heart out, the Bills could have possibly worked out a trade that would have been good for him and good for the team. Now he has so lowered his value that will not happen. I believe he really has cost himself real money when he does sign with another team. He has made a bad situation much worse for all sides. just for the pleasure of spite.

Edited by simpleman

It's a great time for Bryd to step in so we can see what we've got.

It's easy to speculate, that since safety play has been good with a convert, a FA pick up, and down the depth chart, it could be that the bills are proving safety is a relative commodity in this defense.

Bryds best years have seemed to come in tampa/cover two defenses.

Ultimately the Byrd discussion boils down to two fundamental questions:

1. Is Byrd great or merely good and understandably looking to leverage big int #s into a great deal not a good one.

2. Does the current d scheme consider FS as a position where they need a good player or a great one?

It will unfortunately drag on so it seems. I really hope it doesn't turn out to be a season long game of rope a dope where Byrd is day to day the whole season occupying a roster spot and shirking on his obligation to the team.