If Bryd is a man....

Estelle Getty

He's part of the players union, no? He's agreed to have the players union negotiate the collective bargaining agreement, correct? Part of the agreement that all the players voted on and agreed to is the franchise tag, right? If so, then he can't get upset when it's used on him and he's getting 7 million bucks to play for 17 weeks.

Great, so we established that there is a difference. On to the next matter.

99% of the players who voted couldn't care less about the tag, it will never be used on them. So if an overwhelming majority cast their vote on an issue which doesn't effect them, the effected have no right to be upset at the outcome? Why don't you ponder that a moment while I issue a referendum on whether or not you should be allowed to breathe oxygen. I'm sure you'll respect the outcome either way.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry but when brees was rumored to be pushing for franchise tag reform I seem to recall outrage (from many on this board) that he'd put himself and quibbling over his 20m a year pay day over his union brothers that needed to get back to work to pay their mortgage (and our desire to see football)

And that was just minor changes, not abolishing

Edited by NoSaint

Great, so we established that there is a difference. On to the next matter.

99% of the players who voted couldn't care less about the tag, it will never be used on them. So if an overwhelming majority cast their vote on an issue which doesn't effect them, the effected have no right to be upset at the outcome? Why don't you ponder that a moment while I issue a referendum on whether or not you should be allowed to breathe oxygen. I'm sure you'll respect the outcome either way.

Then don't unionize. Can't have it both ways. Can't be part of the union and agree to the terms then b*tch about it when it's not as good for you, individually.

Then don't unionize. Can't have it both ways. Can't be part of the union and agree to the terms then b*tch about it when it's not as good for you, individually.

I don't recall byrds big push for unionization.

I suppose he could've avoided this by becoming an employee at his local best western instead of an nfl athlete though.

What do you propose byrds other options were as an aspiring nfl talent?

Actually, for the sake of not having a PPP style debate on unions lets just let it be. I think the cliff notes on each side are out there, people can take them and feel how they want about unions/membership. No reason for a debate here.

I don't recall byrds big push for unionization.

I suppose he could've avoided this by becoming an employee at his local best western instead of an nfl athlete though.

What do you propose byrds other options were as an aspiring nfl talent?

Actually, for the sake of not having a PPP style debate on unions lets just let it be. I think the cliff notes on each side are out there, people can take them and feel how they want about unions/membership. No reason for a debate here.

I'm not advocating for or against unions. I'm just making the point that there is a governing document in place and this, for better or worse, is part of the agreement. So Byrd, if healthy enough, needs to buck up and play.

I'm not advocating for or against unions. I'm just making the point that there is a governing document in place and this, for better or worse, is part of the agreement. So Byrd, if healthy enough, needs to buck up and play.

I believe the phrase you used was he can't be upset.... Which agree with him or not, he can certainly be unhappy that the tag exists.

It's BS...If I'm paying 7 million...Frieking play! Pay me 7 million..I'll go out there with 1 arm...Overpaid bitches...The NFL better reign this crap in or really...nobody's gonna care....Already happening with the rules...No kick returns now...The player safety thing is BS. It's watering down the game.

YOU are paying 7 million? are you ralph wilson? what i dont understand about so many people on this board claiming him to be a B word or wuss cause hes only making 7 million. reality is you probably wouldnt do it. lets say you could play for 7 million on a 1 year deal and possibly get hurt like anothny spencer and henry melton just this past week and miss out on a potential pay day of a long term deal near 20 million... so would you risk that possible other 13-20 million? r you would you risk that and play when you might just get tagged again if you dont get hurt? youd rather risk the 13-20 million?

if you are mad at these "overpaid bitches" you should stop watching football. also realize that nfl teams are making truck loads of cash. the bills had enough to pay byrd and levitre and chose not too. and i for one am furious. let the colin brown experiment continue.................

What's disappointing to me about Byrd's situation is this whole "I won't play until I'm absolutely 100%" mentality. Imagine if everyone thought that way...that would mean that, this Sunday, we'd be without:

EJ

Spiller

Urbik

Stevie

Kyle

Mario

Dareus

McKelvin (who may miss the game anyway)

In addition to guys like Carrington, Gilmore, Goodwin, and Brooks who are already out.

I'm not saying Byrd is definitely in shape to play, just that his comments come off as though he could play if he wanted to...

I would avoid multiple year guaranteed contracts or you are stuck if a player is injured or not worth it. Sanchez contract comes to mind. There is less incentive to work hard if you have a guaranteed pay even if you don't play

What's disappointing to me about Byrd's situation is this whole "I won't play until I'm absolutely 100%" mentality. Imagine if everyone thought that way...that would mean that, this Sunday, we'd be without:

EJ

Spiller

Urbik

Stevie

Kyle

Mario

Dareus

McKelvin (who may miss the game anyway)

In addition to guys like Carrington, Gilmore, Goodwin, and Brooks who are already out.

I'm not saying Byrd is definitely in shape to play, just that his comments come off as though he could play if he wanted to...

Absolutely. That 100% comment is when I made up my mind I don't care if he comes back or not. I've never met a regular, full time player on a team that was ever 100% during the season. There's days when you feel better than others but that's as good as it gets. Byrd knows this, the rest of the team knows this, and most fans know this.

And I love this little gem from today's article, " “I mean, I don’t want to see them do bad." Guess there's no "us" in Byrd.

He may be an All Pro, but he's not all professional. At all.

GO BILLS!!!

Absolutely. That 100% comment is when I made up my mind I don't care if he comes back or not. I've never met a regular, full time player on a team that was ever 100% during the season. There's days when you feel better than others but that's as good as it gets. Byrd knows this, the rest of the team knows this, and most fans know this.

And I love this little gem from today's article, " “I mean, I don’t want to see them do bad." Guess there's no "us" in Byrd.

GO BILLS!!!

I thiunk you would be hard pressed to find a lot of guys in the NFL who are "100%" every week. He makes me sick. The PFT article this morning, which compared him to Santonio Holmes, made me even more sick because of what happened Sunday.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/26/jairus-byrd-wont-play-unless-he-feels-100-percent/

with few exceptions they are all just mercenaries. of course.

some are happy some unhappy. but they will all switch sides without even thinking about it, for a dollar more, and i would guess that far less than half of them really care THAT much if they win or lose, except the play-offs offer more opportunities to pick up a check.

certainly a lot of fans care a whole lot more.

Wow. I don't happen to believe that they don't care about winning or losing. Of course they will switch teams if they can get more money elsewhere. Who wouldn't. That doesn't meant that they aren't professionals and don't care about winning. Can't agree with you on this one.

In Byrd's slight defense, he was getting $7MM this year no matter what.

$7MM was his minimum this year. Whether from the Bills or somewhere else. He probably believes he earned at least that much, because that's the CBA. He's just pissy because he is making the "minimum" this year, instead of more.

I still think he should actually man-up and earn that money. Its not $7MM of a windfall. Its not a Jackpot or the Lotto or something.

Its $7MM to PLAY FOOTBALL.

Edited by maddenboy

Honestly I don't see how anyone could back Byrd here.

Here's the disclaimer, if he's legitimately hurt and can't play, he shouldn't. That increasingly seems NOT to be the case.

No one knows what the Bills offered Byrd. By some of the rationale on this board, Byrd should just get his demands and if not, sit. What if he was demanding 11m a year?

I wanted them to sign Byrd to a long term deal also. But maybe they just don't value the free safety position that way. Maybe they think Byrd isn't worth top 3 money over 5 years. Maybe they want to see how he does in the new Defense before committing that money to a free safety. Maybe Byrd's demands were totally unreasonable.

Bottom line is the franchise tag is there for a reason and agreed to by players and teams. Sucks if it gets used on you, but honor your agreement like a gentleman and play. Or don't sign the franchise tender. But dont collect 7m for sitting on your arse.

GO BILLS!!!

No doubt that was a rough quote. Didnt like it one bit.

No doubt that was a rough quote. Didnt like it one bit.

He is only hurting himself by acting like a D-bag. Not to say that another team wouldn't sign him because of the attitude he is displaying - they will. But they may not think he is worth what he wants because he hasn't shown to be team player. So unless he just wants out of Bflo as his main objective and the $ isn't the real issue, he is only bringing his value down. There are guys out there playing through much worse injuries and this makes him look very bad.

In Byrd's slight defense, he was getting $7MM this year no matter what.

$7MM was his minimum this year. Whether from the Bills or somewhere else. He probably believes he earned at least that much, because that's the CBA. He's just pissy because he is making the "minimum" this year, instead of more.

I still think he should actually man-up and earn that money. Its not $7MM of a windfall. Its not a Jackpot or the Lotto or something.

Its $7MM to PLAY FOOTBALL.

Exactly. If he did not want to risk injury he could have refused to sign the tender and sat out. Instead, he took the money with no intention of earning it, trying to make his presence so unpalatable as to force a trade.. He is taking advantage of the system he is complaining about while screwing over his team mates. He is the very definition of a POS. Byrd has less and less value to the Bills or anyone else as the weeks go by. If it were my team, assuming I could do it under the cap without screwing myself, I would franchise him again next year and sit him on the bench, replaced by a new draft choice. Lets see who wants to pay him top dollars after two years of inactivity. Whatever happens, I sincerely hope the Bills stay the course and do not given in to this selfish douche and his greedy agent.

Edited by MDFan

I can't blame Byrd for feeling he's worth quite a bit more than the Bills are willing to pay him. I also can't blame the Bills for establishing a price they feel a Safety is worth (no matter his skill level). I have never agreed with all of this "tag business" once a player has fufilled his contractural obligations. I also can understand Byrd's reluctance to play under the tag and suffer a potentially career ending injury.

That being said ... at some point it should become obvious that the team has "lost" the tagged player, and that player has lost his "emotional buy-in" to the team, and the roster spot becomes more valuable to the team than the chance the player in question and the team can repair their relationship. Wouldn't the best course of action at this point be to put Byrd on IR, get somebody that could possibly help our depleated secondary, and at the end of the year present Byrd with our best and last contract offer, and allow him to "shop himself" around the league and if he gets a better offer just shake his hand and wish him luck?