If Bryd is a man....

Estelle Getty

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see, Byrd is babying an injury and costing the team games, while making millions. Yep, I'm sure every player is cool with that. Byrd is jerk. No one made him play football. The franchise tag is part of the game. Don't sign it and fake an injury. The Bills should sit his a@@, or put him on IR. Send a message that this behavior will not be tolerated.

I'm a fan of the Bills, not the players who AGREE to a system, then cry about it afterwards while cashing checks which are more than most people will make in a life.

It's a double standard. Yes, I'm pissed at Byrd for not playing. But why aren't you pissed at the team for not signing him long term? He completely outperformed a 2nd round rookie contract. Where you yelling for him to get a raise?

Not one person inside the organization is saying he is crying. They said he has been a complete professional. The harsh reality is Byrd is a valuable person at a job that pays him millions. He will get paid if it's by the Bills or not. He has every right to get every penny he can. If Byrd blew his knee before he ever played a down for the Bills, would you care? Nope.

I hate this situation but I can also recognize it's such BS to put this all on Byrd. And he would be an idiot to jeopardize maybe his last big money contract to play on a one year deal for a team he may not even be on next year. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Yup because every fan has PhDs.

This is getting hilarious. Byrd would be a moron to play through an injury on a one year deal. And like it or not, he's probably going to get big money. But as someone else mentioned, not one teammate or coach had said one thing about Byrd's professionalism.

Not most of the "fans" in this thread. All of the "man up" and "who waits til they are 100% to play" posts and both funny and sad at the same time. Sad to think some Bills fans don't get the simple concept that you have outlined.

It's a double standard. Yes, I'm pissed at Byrd for not playing. But why aren't you pissed at the team for not signing him long term? He completely outperformed a 2nd round rookie contract. Where you yelling for him to get a raise?

Not one person inside the organization is saying he is crying. They said he has been a complete professional. The harsh reality is Byrd is a valuable person at a job that pays him millions. He will get paid if it's by the Bills or not. He has every right to get every penny he can. If Byrd blew his knee before he ever played a down for the Bills, would you care? Nope.

I hate this situation but I can also recognize it's such BS to put this all on Byrd. And he would be an idiot to jeopardize maybe his last big money contract to play on a one year deal for a team he may not even be on next year. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Especially when you consider the Bills FO the last few years. Big contracts handed out guys like Fitz and Kelsey and Mark Anderson but a guy like Byrd who has been a good player, a pro bowler too, since he was drafted is slammed with a one year deal? If I were him I'd be a little miffed and upset too.

I wish he were playing because he is a good player, but I understand his position 100%

Perhaps then the players should negotiate for guaranteed contracts. Again, this is a system the players agreed to. Why, as a BILLS fan, would I want to give Byrd a raise mid-contract? He outplayed his first contract, but that's a contract he signed, and he outplayed it to get more money. Byrd signed the tag (no one made him), and is dogging an injury, saying he's not 100%. That is why I'm mad. If he just holds out, fine, but he is gaming the system and there should be a counter-measure from the Bills. No NFL player is 100%. He should be out there playing. He can likely get injury insurance if he is so worried about getting injured. I'm not mad the Bills didn't sign him long term, the money he wanted no other team would be willing to give him either. (as evidenced by the lack of trade partners). And the Bills are saying he is acting professional to keep him happy. I would imagine the Bills are not happy with the way he is acting.

I questioned the injury timing at first but upon further review....

If he was injured before, why wouldn't he sign the contract offered. It was a great offer, not the top safety paid but it was up there. That would

of guaranteed him a lifetime of happiness.

That leads to believe he wasn't injured and now finds himself between a rock and a hard place.

Its the chance Byrd and Parker took and it doesn't feel like they made the right choice. Although

getting paid hundreds of thousands to stand on the sideline isn't so bad either.

I just don't think he's faking for the sake of not playing. Hopefully he plays this Sunday and all

is right with the world. God knows we could use him.

Go Bills!

Especially when you consider the Bills FO the last few years. Big contracts handed out guys like Fitz and Kelsey and Mark Anderson but a guy like Byrd who has been a good player, a pro bowler too, since he was drafted is slammed with a one year deal? If I were him I'd be a little miffed and upset too.

I wish he were playing because he is a good player, but I understand his position 100%

The Bills FO has been a joke, but making another bad decision (signing Byrd to the highest paid safety contract) does not undo their mind-blowing bone-headed decisions of the past that you mentioned above.

Byrd should be a man, lop off his foot, replace it with one of those blade deals and get out there and make some plays!

FWIW, my girlfriend has PF and there are days that she can barely walk on it. It's not just a "tough it out" injury...

Byrd should be a man, lop off his foot, replace it with one of those blade deals and get out there and make some plays!

FWIW, my girlfriend has PF and there are days that she can barely walk on it. It's not just a "tough it out" injury...

good thing she doesn't have to walk far from one side of the kitchen to the other

can i expect similar replies from you to anyone posting that he IS faking? all the guy your quoting said is that its a business not a family and his coworkers havent called him out yet.

He posted as if he know for sure he wasn't faking. I have speculated that he is probably faking the severity of the injury, and I will hold to that as speculation. His response was one of certainty based upon what has not been said and anyone who thought otherwise was wrong.

I questioned the injury timing at first but upon further review....

If he was injured before, why wouldn't he sign the contract offered. It was a great offer, not the top safety paid but it was up there. That would

of guaranteed him a lifetime of happiness.

That leads to believe he wasn't injured and now finds himself between a rock and a hard place.

Exactly... and someone had to add on to this feeling of disrespect by an "established injury" in order to explain his lack of involvement. Non debilitating for future seasons, of course!!!

Can she play safety?

More of a tight end :D

good thing she doesn't have to walk far from one side of the kitchen to the other

I'm sure if I mention that, her foot will be healed and up my ass pretty quickly!

Perhaps then the players should negotiate for guaranteed contracts. Again, this is a system the players agreed to. Why, as a BILLS fan, would I want to give Byrd a raise mid-contract? He outplayed his first contract, but that's a contract he signed, and he outplayed it to get more money. Byrd signed the tag (no one made him), and is dogging an injury, saying he's not 100%. That is why I'm mad. If he just holds out, fine, but he is gaming the system and there should be a counter-measure from the Bills. No NFL player is 100%. He should be out there playing. He can likely get injury insurance if he is so worried about getting injured. I'm not mad the Bills didn't sign him long term, the money he wanted no other team would be willing to give him either. (as evidenced by the lack of trade partners). And the Bills are saying he is acting professional to keep him happy. I would imagine the Bills are not happy with the way he is acting.

The contracts are one sided. If you over perform your contract, screw you, play out your rookie deal. If you underperform your contract, you're cut tomorrow. Here's your pro-rata pay.

In a game where the career length is on average 3 years, you have a very limited window to earn. Players typically get one real chance to test the market and maximize their pay. Given this scenario, who wouldn't test the market and take a pay day. After football most of the guys are taking a pay cut in the range of 95% to 99%. If you get hurt while tagged, that might be your last paycheck. The guaranteed money associated with long-term deals is the only insurance against injury players have.

I think the issue most people have with BTyrd is that when he says "I won't play until I'm 100%". we are all (in my opinion) rightfully interpreting that to mean, "I won't play until I'm 100%, because I will not jeopardize the quality of my play when I am being evaluated for potential long term FA contracts AND I am so pissed off at Russ Brandon's penny pinching crap that I won't give him the satisfaction" --- granted, we don't know what's in his heart / mind --- but last year, I do not recall (please correct me if I'm wrong), with the same injury, he ONCE uttering those words "I won't play until I'm 100%" --- oh, BTW, rarely are players in the NFL 100% ---

I think the issue most people have with BTyrd is that when he says "I won't play until I'm 100%". we are all (in my opinion) rightfully interpreting that to mean, "I won't play until I'm 100%, because I will not jeopardize the quality of my play when I am being evaluated for potential long term FA contracts AND I am so pissed off at Russ Brandon's penny pinching crap that I won't give him the satisfaction" --- granted, we don't know what's in his heart / mind --- but last year, I do not recall (please correct me if I'm wrong), with the same injury, he ONCE uttering those words "I won't play until I'm 100%" --- oh, BTW, rarely are players in the NFL 100% ---

He won't play until he's 100%, because if he gets seriously hurt he might not collect a salary next year. Its not about looking good or quality of play. Its about making sure hes healthy and his market value is intact so he can get that long-term deal hes looking for and collect that guaranteed money.

He won't play until he's 100%, because if he gets seriously hurt he might not collect a salary next year. Its not about looking good or quality of play. Its about making sure hes healthy and his market value is intact so he can get that long-term deal hes looking for and collect that guaranteed money.

Keep telling yourself that. Last year he took shots to reduce pain so he could play, implying (at least to me) that it wouldn't make condition any worse, so why not do that this year ?

That depends on how you look at it. I just read that the Bills and Carrington had been negotiating an extension, but couldn't come to an agreement. This injury will most likely impact Carrington's ability to receive that long term offer again; from us or any other team. Injury is the risk these players and agents take. In this case, Parker left the money on the table in favor of playing the odds that Carrington wouldn't get hurt and compromise his future. Not saying it was wrong just that he said no to the offer and left it on the table.

It's the old byrd in the hand argument.

GO BILLS!!!

Yes, Parker probably advised his client to take the risk. Too bad for Carrington. Is he advising Byrd to be "extra cautious" with his "injury"? Who really knows - he certainly put Byrd in the situation he is in - but it is apparent to me based on Byrd's statements that he is slow rolling his return to minimize risk. (i.e. he "played through it last year, but this year he needs to be 100%") He is of essentially no value to the Bills this year. I hope it costs him in the end, but it is likely some desperate team will give him what he wants next year anyway. Let the buyer beware. He is showing himself to be a selfish punk, and next year those legs will be another year older, no matter how much time he spends sitting on the bench this year resting his poor sore feet.