Injuries. When will this team address this?

offyourocker

Honestly besides Byrd and Gilmore going into this game the Bills where pretty healthy. McKelvin going down killed the Jets game.

IF McKelvin is out there to cover Holmes or Hill, the Bills win the game probably, at very least cut down the long deep strikes.

Injuries happen, that is when coaching has to step in. But given the fact the Bills are so banged up in one area- DB's there is no amount of coaching to over come that.

God i hope Byrd and Gilmore are healthy very soon.

I have not seen what is the word on McKelvin yet???

which teams have depth at every position?

No one demands depth at every position. But aside from RB and perhaps DL, the Bills had little veteran depth at any other position. This is a common denominator of how this team has been operated for several years now.

I don't expect them to splurge in UFA, but this lack of veteran depth is part of the reason they are hit hard by injuries: they can't plug in a player with experience and a little talent.

No one demands depth at every position. But aside from RB and perhaps DL, the Bills had little veteran depth at any other position. This is a common denominator of how this team has been operated for several years now.

I don't expect them to splurge in UFA, but this lack of veteran depth is part of the reason they are hit hard by injuries: they can't plug in a player with experience and a little talent.

id normally agree, but you never expect the injuries to hit one group (secondary) as hard as they did this fast. they are normally spread. i agree depth is an issue on this roster, but i do not place gilmore, mckelvin, brooks, and byrd being out as a standard issue depth problem.

Carolina was trying out players off the street for CB this week and they won 38-0.

Bad franchises, and teams with a paper tiger Front 4 like ours, make excuses.

carolina signed a 10 year vet that was with them through camp off the street. thats not really getting the shelf stocker at the local grocery store.

id normally agree, but you never expect the injuries to hit one group (secondary) as hard as they did this fast. they are normally spread. i agree depth is an issue on this roster, but i do not place gilmore, mckelvin, brooks, and byrd being out as a standard issue depth problem.

Exactly...There is no team in the NFL that can lose 4 of their top 5 DB's and expect that it won't have a major impact on a game at some point... B-)

I look at what happened to the GB Packers yesterday and realize it's what separates the big dogs from...us.

They start off the season with RB Eddie Lacy, then he gets injured so they play James Starks. He also gets injured so they play Jonathan Frankin - who I believe was this year's 3rd round draft pick for them - and he lights up the field!

We are spending nearly all of our draft picks to fill the holes in our starting line ups, while other teams get to use the draft to create depth when their starters (inevitably) get injured.

I'm not blaming the Bills organization for this. There's nothing they can do to stop all these injuries. I mean who would have expected our start CB to get injured, then our next rising star CB to get injured 3 games in? It's terrible luck....just part of being a Bills fan.

One thing they can do that would have an immediate impact is stop running the hurry up.

Assume they try to run plays 50% faster; that means both our offense & defense (& ST) will play about 25% more plays. All things being equal, that means 25% more injuries. (& arguably, since players are more fatigued, they're MORE prone to injury). Now, it stands to reason that your opponents are also getting injured at a 25% greater pace as well, but often injuries are a more than 1 game thing, so much of the equalizing benefit that this would cause is lost.

bills get injured because other teams are flying around hitting the **** out of them while they play like they are running in wet cement. Add the fact that they suck donkey nuts and are generally out of position at any given time and the injuries are sure to pile up.

When your a good player (take a guard for example) and its a running play you fire off the ball, and because your not colin brown, you dominate the player your blocking and drive him backwards giving your RB a hole to run thru to daylight. When your colin brown you engage the defender off balance get crashed back into another player on the oline and fall awkwardly onto cj spillers knee causing torn ligaments.

See its easy to understand.

Edited by AKA Bigdog

Exactly...There is no team in the NFL that can lose 4 of their top 5 DB's and expect that it won't have a major impact on a game at some point... B-)

Going into this game they were without #1 and #3 CBs then on the first series lose #2......

you take a teams top 3 CBs from them....not many teams are going to come away with a win.

^ No...

Carolina lost 3 defensive players against the Bills. Didn't stop them from crushing the Giants. Next man up and the Coaching needs to find ways to adapt.

plus it helps when you can sign a 10 year vet that spent all of camp with you at the position of need.

Every single year we are riddled with an insane number of injuries. It has to have something to do with physical preparation. Can we please give Rusty a couple Million dollars to come out of retirement.

It is NFLPA issue not league. Soft camps, restrictions on practices between games, can not practice tackling, etc.

Franklin was also injured for Green Bay. The had no RB's left at the end of the game. Had to line a WR up at RB. Seattle has great depth. Their backups are better than some teams starters. There's the problem. Our backups wouldn't make most teams rosters to begin with yet due to injuries they are starting. Say your two backup CB's were capable of starting somewhere then you have no injury problem. Next man in only works if the backups are decent. Takes time to build quality depth. Figure there are almost 1,700 players in the NFL. There is a serious drop off in talent at some point. Picking up undrafted guys off the street 2-3 weeks in to the season? There are reasons they aren't in the NFL. I think you should be able to dress 53 players on game day plus have a 7 man inactive list plus the 8 man practice squad. Would help with some of the depth problems.