Leodis McKelvin - Most Targeted CB in the NFL (Through 2 Weeks)

People thought I was crazy when I expressed confidence in Leodis, given the right coaching formula.

Glad to see you're all finally starting to see the light. :nana:

Leodis + Stephon = great things

right on brother. Never doubted. Always felt the same

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People thought I was crazy when I expressed confidence in Leodis, given the right coaching formula.

Glad to see you're all finally starting to see the light. :nana:

Leodis + Stephon = great things

Perhaps the best part of this is, if Leodis continues to do well, we won't have to look at CB early in next year's draft, and can turn our attention to filling other holes like LG, TE, and maybe LB.

Isn't Donnie Henderson, the old D Coordinator for the Jets our DB coach now?

I tell ya, if the Bills get out of this stretch without Gilmore and Byrd at 3-2 or 4-1, Henderson should be coach of the year.

I should also mention Pettine's press conference comment today about what he learned from Rex:

"If you have issues in coverage, make it so you don't have to cover for very long."

Edited by eball

I don't know if it is top level coaching, scheme, positional coaching, whatever... In addition to the overall defense looking vastly better 3 individuals stand out to me as completely resurrected.

McK was a phenomenal returner and a marginal nickel or dime DB. He's thus far looked like a solid starting NFL corner.

Moats was a lost soul bubble LB with a few flashes. He now looks to be a solid off the bench or starting ILB with great run stopping ability.

A Williams was statistically one of the worst DBS in the game, now he may prove to be a solid NFL safety.

Good examples. I think that's why we let Levitre go and refused to give Byrd a long term deal-- It seems that different (and improved) coaching can really raise the level of play from previously mediocre guys. It makes no sense to spend big money on free agents when you don't even know what your true holes are. Maybe Aaron will be just as good as Byrd.

I honestly posted the exact opposite of that about three weeks ago, saying that it was the talent level that mattered 95% and coaching was like 5%, but Pettine is making me eat my words. The only exception is probably Levitre, we took a big step backwards with Colin Brown. I rewatched him at every snap and he is a huge liability. Hopefully he wont' get EJ killed this year.

But as far as reaching new heights I would include Mario and Manny Lawson in there too. They can both have career years in 2013 with this team.

Terrible coaching. I was always under the impression that our old DB coach sucked. Watching our DBs play this year, my impression is correct. It's true, we're getting more pressure this season, but our DBs are also doing a much better job of playing the ball, not just the man.

ive always been of the thought that our old coach was among the best in the league at footwork, but not good at upper body. if true, we may be seeing the rewards of a guy that taught guys to be great with the lower body being followed by guys better known for making plays on the ball with the upper body. add in a pass rush and... good things.

Edited by NoSaint

Pro Football Focus @PFF

Leodis McKelvin leads the league with 26 targets, but he's allowed only 10 catches for 111 yards. 0 TDs 5 PDs

That, my friends, is truly astounding.

Keep up the awesome work Leo!

It would be great if the guy spoke english when interviewed.... Not sharpest tool in shed which is man to man is where he excels. Anything involving brains..... nope....

He's looking like a great #2 corner but hearing his post game interview, the guy is dumb as bricks..

I think the Bills had the same secondary coach forever who I personally thought was a contributing factor to our DBs being so um.... well the sucked. Finally get teams in a third and forever and they would just about always convert.

Catavolos.

He may have been a nice guy, but he was paid to put a better product on the field than what we had seen and with the number of high DB draft picks underperforming it was wise for Marrone to look under the hood to see what needed replacing.

It is still early, but the new secondary coach seems to be actually coaching these guys up to play:

http://www.buffalobi...a6-c711c617d7f3

Props to Donnie.

**** Ooops just noticed that others had picked up on the coaching change - been harping on our old secondary coach for years.

Edited by ColdBlueNorth

I like him and hope he continues to do well.

I cringe watching him just waiting for the flag when he jumps in front of receivers. I'm always looking for his other arm hoping it isn't around the receiver. He may have gotten away with a few, so hard to tell.

In the past it always seemed like he didn't get the benefit of the doubt all of the time, those are just hard to tell as they happen. However it was usually the long ones that got him when he wouldn't look back for the ball and he was in great position. Hope those are all behind him from now on and he keeps playing lights out.

Go Bills!

It would be great if the guy spoke english when interviewed.... Not sharpest tool in shed which is man to man is where he excels. Anything involving brains..... nope....

He's looking like a great #2 corner but hearing his post game interview, the guy is dumb as bricks..

actually it took me awhile , but his dialect is very odd. and difficult to translate

He not dumb he different.

And the boy is playing some awesome football.

The thing about Leo

I love is even after getting benched or downgraded/demoted nver hung his head. He went out and played harder Been my underdog favorite coming into this season.

Hell yeh all hail Donnie Henderson

Edited by 3rdand12

5 pd's on 26 attempts....when did mckelvin learn to do that? The story of his career was he was always able to stay in position and with his man but couldn't ever stop the pass.

Given his prior performance in years past it is no wonder the game plans were to test him thoroughly. Good for him to stand up to the challenge. Remember this is a guy who was benched for being torched. I do not know what the new staff is doing with him but clearly it is working.

I think two-tenths of a second is an eternity for a cornerback.

Isn't Donnie Henderson, the old D Coordinator for the Jets our DB coach now?

He's here to stay.

Every time someone here frets about losing Pettine, I always think about Henderson being groomed to succeed him.

Perhaps the best part of this is, if Leodis continues to do well, we won't have to look at CB early in next year's draft, and can turn our attention to filling other holes like LG, TE, and maybe LB.

As I posted yesterday, this team is trending towards a team that can start thinking about drafting the best player available.

Only if you're the kind of person who believes that how a person speaks or writes is a definitive statement of his intelligence.

Having underestimated many people in my life, I don't make that mistake anymore.

I think the Bills had the same secondary coach forever who I personally thought was a contributing factor to our DBs being so um.... well the sucked. Finally get teams in a third and forever and they would just about always convert.

Catavolos.

The incredible thing about Catavolos is that he coached under Jauron and the Bills retained him under Gailey.

What does that say about the organization?

Terrible coaching. I was always under the impression that our old DB coach sucked. Watching our DBs play this year, my impression is correct. It's true, we're getting more pressure this season, but our DBs are also doing a much better job of playing the ball, not just the man.

I agree. It seemed last year the CB's did a lot of chasing the receiver rather than covering. I notice the exact opposite this year. Even Rogers has been decent this year.

actually it took me awhile , but his dialect is very odd. and difficult to translate

He not dumb he different.

And the boy is playing some awesome football.

The thing about Leo

I love is even after getting benched or downgraded/demoted nver hung his head. He went out and played harder Been my underdog favorite coming into this season.

Hell yeh all hail Donnie Henderson

a lovely haiku