The Affordable Care Act is Coming Home to Roost

Healthcare.gov: Worse Than Ever, But Don’t Be Distracted

FTA:

While the web site issues give rise to an entirely appropriate sense of schadenfreude, they are of relatively little importance. I assume that eventually, by brute force and the expenditure of billions of dollars, the administration will be able to create a web portal that more or less functions. But the real problems with Obamacare have little or nothing to do with the web site; they have everything to do with the substance of the law.

The first wave of revulsion occurred when it became evident that millions of Americans in the individual and small group markets were losing their health insurance, contrary to the Democrats’ oft-repeated promise that if you like your health insurance, you can keep it. The falsity of that promise has dealt a devastating and well-deserved blow to Barack Obama’s credibility, and the lie will haunt every Democratic Senator or Congressman who runs for reelection next year.

For the next year or more there will be a rolling fiasco as millions of Americans lose their coverage not only in the individual market, but in the employer-sponsored market that covers most people. The Obama administration predicted in 2010 that over half of all Americans who have employer-sponsored group plans will lose them during Obamacare’s first year; those tens of millions of people will be distinctly unhappy. That will be the second wave of disgust with Obamacare.

The third wave of revulsion will overlap with the second; it will come when people realize–again, in both the individual market and the employer-sponsored market–that Obamacare has made their health insurance coverage more expensive. President Obama’s promise that the average family will save $2,500 annually in insurance premiums is an absurdity. Anyone with any sense can see that Obamacare will be more expensive than what came before, not less expensive. The $2,500 promise will soon be as notorious as the “if you like your insurance, you can keep it” pledge. The only ones who save money will be those who are heavily subsidized by their neighbors. They will be ashamed to admit who they are.

This disaster will unfold inexorably.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just embarrassing...

McKinsey0287.jpg

And this is purely true...

This disaster will unfold inexorably. It has nothing to do with the web site; rather, it is the intended consequence of the Democrats’ plan. All Republicans need to do is stay out of the way as Obamacare implodes and drives Democrats from office. When Democrats plead for help in “fixing” Obamacare on a bipartisan basis, Republicans must just say No.

What in the hell is going on?

IT Security Experts: Take heathcare.gov down immediately

“Just by looking at the website, we can see that there is just fundamental security principles that are not being followed,” he said.

Kennedy demonstrated how hackers are attempting to exploit the website’s vulnerabilities to access personal information and testified that he believes the website has either already been subject to cyber attacks or will be hacked soon.

“We can actually enable their web cam, monitor their web cam, listen to their microphone, steal passwords,” he explained. “Anything that they do on their computer we now have full access to.”

Three of the four witnesses agreed that the Obama administration should take the site offline in order to address the security flaws.

All Republicans need to do is stay out of the way as Obamacare implodes and drives Democrats from office. When Democrats plead for help in “fixing” Obamacare on a bipartisan basis, Republicans must just say No.

But it is the Republicans fault.

http://nation.foxnews.com/2013/11/20/its-not-me-its-them-reeling-obama-shifts-blame-obamacare-mess-republicans

The Republicans better be careful now. They can't be defined by the King any longer. They have the opportunity to offer a different vision to the American people - a workable alternative to this mess that will offer insurance coverage to virtually every American. The left will balk because the only alternative they have the slightest interest in is single payer. So far they haven't grabbed center stage and presented their plan to the public - in the new context of the abject failure of the PPACA and the disgrace the dishonest administration has brought upon itself. They can make Obama irrelevant just as Clinton was during the Contract With America.

The Republicans better be careful now. They can't be defined by the King any longer. They have the opportunity to offer a different vision to the American people - a workable alternative to this mess that will offer insurance coverage to virtually every American. The left will balk because the only alternative they have the slightest interest in is single payer. So far they haven't grabbed center stage and presented their plan to the public - in the new context of the abject failure of the PPACA and the disgrace the dishonest administration has brought upon itself. They can make Obama irrelevant just as Clinton was during the Contract With America.

They've had ample opportunity to do so many times, and have had no interest in doing so. Coming up with a feasible plan right now would be the smartest thing theyve done in many decades, but that being said, there is no way they do so. The GOP is a case study on how NOT to run a political party in 21 centruy America...

While I agree the stupidity of the GOP can never be over-stressed, I disagree (slightly) with the last few posters.

The Republicans should NOT offer a "Obamacare Replacement" , people are awakening to the fact that there should not be Huge, over-reaching, grand Health Care plan.

What they should do (as they have tried very unsuccessfully in the past) is offer several, immediate, functionable plans to address Costs, and potability.

They've had ample opportunity to do so many times, and have had no interest in doing so. Coming up with a feasible plan right now would be the smartest thing theyve done in many decades, but that being said, there is no way they do so. The GOP is a case study on how NOT to run a political party in 21 centruy America...

Its because at this point, all reforms are splitting hairs from one another if we believe that private insurance compaines are to play a key role in our system. Whether it be buying insurance from Ohio when you live in Florida, capping Med LP claims, individuals mandates, laws against recission.. they are all the same or prety darn close.

My propsed plan (I can't remeber if I posted this here, its been a while):

1. Every Amercians has a deductible they must meet for themselves and family. If you make 10K a year, its $100. If you make a million a year, maybe its 50K. But EVERYBODY has to write a check for their care, so they can see what the cost is, and providers will begin being transparent about their real costs, and complete for patients.

2. State or National Cat Pool- yes another tax, but a risk pool covering people once they make their deductible. At this point, what does a Private Insurance company really do anyway? Why can't a group of people who are experts in healthcare write up screening guidelines based on Evidence Based research? Treatment regimes based on EBR? If people want to pay for a test that is no considered standard of care, they can write a check.

Its really simple, drug makers, hospitals and provider remain private, everybody is covered and everybody is paying a fair share... seems resoanble to me.

The Republicans should NOT offer a "Obamacare Replacement" , people are awakening to the fact that there should not be Huge, over-reaching, grand Health Care plan..

while I agree with this in principle, I have absolutely no faith in the intellectual capacity of the electorate to realize this. tort reform and loosening the restrictions on interstate insurance sales have been issues for years now, and very few people are even aware of what those issues entail, or what effect their reform could have.

Has anyone really stopped to think about the magnitude of just this current cluster-!@#$? People losing insurance can't buy insurance because the only recourse to buy insurance for many of them doesn't work; the president unilaterally amends the law - which he can't do - to restore cancelled coverage - which the insurance companies can't do as both a practical and legal matter - to cover his own false promises; and the president threatens to veto any Congressional attempt to amend the law in the same way he just unilaterally amended it?

So we've got many millions of people to not just lack health insurance but lack access to any sort of health insurance market, as dictated by a law and a legislative process that has been stomped on and mangled so much that the states and insurers can't realistically comply with it.

I don't think this mess can be fixed before next August at the earliest, frankly. This is an Iraq War level tar-baby.

Has anyone really stopped to think about the magnitude of just this current cluster-!@#$? People losing insurance can't buy insurance because the only recourse to buy insurance for many of them doesn't work; the president unilaterally amends the law - which he can't do - to restore cancelled coverage - which the insurance companies can't do as both a practical and legal matter - to cover his own false promises; and the president threatens to veto any Congressional attempt to amend the law in the same way he just unilaterally amended it?

So we've got many millions of people to not just lack health insurance but lack access to any sort of health insurance market, as dictated by a law and a legislative process that has been stomped on and mangled so much that the states and insurers can't realistically comply with it.

I don't think this mess can be fixed before next August at the earliest, frankly. This is an Iraq War level tar-baby.

Govt at its finest.

This has turned out far worse than even the most ardent Obamafail hater could have imagined. And as I said, the irony is that it will create a backlash against single payer, which was the libs' goal.

This has turned out far worse than even the most ardent Obamafail hater could have imagined. And as I said, the irony is that it will create a backlash against single payer, which was the libs' goal.

That's why it is going to backfire to all the ones polking the fire right now. Everyone will forget the Administrations failure and champion the underdogs cause when you have the quote of Stan Johnson (R-??) declaring how awful this has been...

McKinsey0287.jpg

"There's nothing wrong with that LABillz, you just aren't familiar with the way they do it in "the Valley".

Don't you know that 292 Google, and Apple, and Oracle programmers have been assinged? They can fix the entire approach, and make code, as yet to be desgined, derived from as yet unstated requirments, magically appear! They are from California! They work for Google!

So your stupid Gantt Chart, which represents a "waterfall" approach, is useless, because we do RAD/XP. Got that? RAD has worked great for every Ruby on Rails project, ever, so why wouldn't it work here? It works great in "the Valley". Your stupid waterfall from the 80s isn't how we do things in 2013. You might as well be talking about not using ORMs!

Rather than using phases, we can iterate our way into doing anything...and not encounter serious structural and design flaws...because we didn't anticipate all the requirements....

...oh....wait...."

:bag:

It's hilarious watching the arrogance of California IT...implode. I'm going to have a good laugh over the next year, because it's still not working.

Boston may benefit huge from all of this. "Why would you go with a company that's based in Fairy Valley, when you can work with some salty guys who get the job done right, without all the blather"?

You can just hear them saying it....

Edited by OCinBuffalo

This website is like an all you can hack buffet for hackers and identity theives.

Since you are now forced to have health insurance and enroll on this website if needed.... since its law, and you comply, and your identity is stolen and your back account drained, can the government be held liable?

This website is like an all you can hack buffet for hackers and identity theives.

Since you are now forced to have health insurance and enroll on this website if needed.... since its law, and you comply, and your identity is stolen and your back account drained, can the government be held liable?

Government by law is shielded from the repercussions of its stupidity.

And most theft of personally identifying information nowadays is done by the NSA, so the risk is actually quite low.

"There's nothing wrong with that LABillz, you just aren't familiar with the way they do it in "the Valley".

Don't you know that 292 Google, and Apple, and Oracle programmers have been assinged? They can fix the entire approach, and make code, as yet to be desgined, derived from as yet unstated requirments, magically appear! They are from California! They work for Google!

So your stupid Gantt Chart, which represents a "waterfall" approach, is useless, because we do RAD/XP. Got that? RAD has worked great for every Ruby on Rails project, ever, so why wouldn't it work here? It works great in "the Valley". Your stupid waterfall from the 80s isn't how we do things in 2013. You might as well be talking about not using ORMs!

Rather than using phases, we can iterate our way into doing anything...and not encounter serious structural and design flaws...because we didn't anticipate all the requirements....

...oh....wait...."

It's hilarious watching the arrogance of California IT...implode. I'm going to have a good laugh over the next year, because it's still not working.

Boston may benefit huge from all of this. "Why would you go with a company that's based in Fairy Valley, when you can work with some salty guys who get the job done right, without all the blather"?

You want a good laugh? I just did some quick 508 testing on the site.

Not even close to being compliant. :lol:

I assure you I have. I don't like what I've been thinking lately. Not one bit. I hope I am wrong.

Consider: The LOW estimate is that ~October, 50 million people on group plans...will be off group plans. That's the low estimate. (Didn't we get into this thing because of 30 million people? WTF?)

As many of you know, I'm no fan of government-run anything. Government is a necessary evil. It's the worst choice for problem solving, so it's the last choice. However, I am no anarchist(or Anti-Christ 4mer). If you throw 50 million people out into the street...while their medical treatment is ongoing?

That's a pescription for all-out rebellion. You're fooling yourself if you think that doesn't come with chaos and violence. I know, I know "why did they think they were entitled to anything, especially of they voted for this clown?". That's a different discussion.

What matters right now, today: what if 1 father loses his kid due to this? How about something more realistic #s-wise? With 50 million? How about 20k fathers lose their kid/wife? That's .0004%. What do we do with 20k fathers that want blood? We can't even manage to keep 1 kid from shooting up a school. What do we do about 20k, or, (assume half regain their senses) 10k guys looking to put a bullet in the people who did this? Still think some of them get weak on the day of? Ok, what about 5k guys? What about 2.5k guys? A what point do the excuses/mitigations run out...while we are still left with a very large number?

Shoot them? 2.5k guys, who just lost their wife/kid? 1000 guys, who decide to go postal? See? This is about large numbers. It always has been. That's why this is so unsettling.

The large #s here dictate: we may very well have an even bigger mess on our hands, than many of us are able to conceive of, when we fully realize the unintended consquences, and the response to those cosequences unfolds.

I'd like it if we tried to find a way to get ahead of that issue, or, if we realized right F'ing now that this is what's coming, and acted immediately to stop it.

There is no escaping the math here. Or the statistical probabilities inherent to 50 million people losing their health care plans, that they've earned, because they actually work. That anger can't be quantified. But, it sure as hell can be applied, on scale that is difficult to imagine.

...oh....wait...."

Wrong thread to argue against Chef Jim, you sneaky bastard.

I assure you I have. I don't like what I've been thinking lately. Not one bit. I hope I am wrong.

Consider: The LOW estimate is that ~October, 50 million people on group plans...will be off group plans. That's the low estimate. (Didn't we get into this thing because of 30 million people? WTF?)

As many of you know, I'm no fan of government-run anything. Government is a necessary evil. It's the worst choice for problem solving, so it's the last choice. However, I am no anarchist(or Anti-Christ 4mer). If you throw 50 million people out into the street...while their medical treatment is ongoing?

That's a pescription for all-out rebellion. You're fooling yourself if you think that doesn't come with chaos and violence. I know, I know "why did they think they were entitled to anything, especially of they voted for this clown?". That's a different discussion.

What matters right now, today: what if 1 father loses his kid due to this? How about something more realistic #s-wise? With 50 million? How about 20k fathers lose their kid/wife? That's .0004%. What do we do with 20k fathers that want blood? We can't even manage to keep 1 kid from shooting up a school. What do we do about 20k, or, (assume half regain their senses) 10k guys looking to put a bullet in the people who did this? Still think some of them get weak on the day of? Ok, what about 5k guys? What about 2.5k guys? A what point do the excuses/mitigations run out...while we are still left with a very large number?

Shoot them? 2.5k guys, who just lost their wife/kid? 1000 guys, who decide to go postal? See? This is about large numbers. It always has been. That's why this is so unsettling.

The large #s here dictate: we may very well have an even bigger mess on our hands, than many of us are able to conceive of, when we fully realize the unintended consquences, and the response to those cosequences unfolds.

I'd like it if we tried to find a way to get ahead of that issue, or, if we realized right F'ing now that this is what's coming, and acted immediately to stop it.

There is no escaping the math here. Or the statistical probabilities inherent to 50 million people losing their health care plans, that they've earned, because they actually work. That anger can't be quantified. But, it sure as hell can be applied, on scale that is difficult to imagine.

Now we know why the IRS wanted to procure millions of rounds of ammo....

But on a serious note as a father (luckily my.kids generally have good health) if any of them ever wasted away because of this FUBARd healthcare mess, I'm saying right now while I'm completely calm and rational, that I'm certain I would not handle it well and would have real anger that I probably would not be able to control.

Edit- I feel for some of our friends. He owns a business and his wife had full time hours with a company and she got their health insurance, she just found out her hours are getting cut (I explained its a side effect of this terrible legislation) and now their daughter has no insurance until they can figure something out

Edited by drinkTHEkoolaid

You want a good laugh? I just did some quick 508 testing on the site.

Not even close to being compliant. :lol:

Oooo I wanna try!

How? Not for me, and, even if it was, why the F do I wanna go set it up when you can just tell me? I'm lazy, dammit!

But, not for me, post it online, so everyone can see it.

Let's have Chef run the test! :lol:

Better yet: have gatorman do it!

I love how the "clients", us, are paying(taxes) to run our own sysem and acceptance tests. What rubes we are. We're dumbest clients in the history of clients, and do you realize how dumb that is?

Now we know why the IRS wanted to procure millions of rounds of ammo....

But on a serious note as a father (luckily my.kids generally have good health) if any of them ever wasted away because of this FUBARd healthcare mess, I'm saying right now while I'm completely calm and rational, that I'm certain I would not handle it well and would have real anger that I probably would not be able to control.

Edit- I feel for some of our friends. He owns a business and his wife had full time hours with a company and she got their health insurance, she just found out her hours are getting cut (I explained its a side effect of this terrible legislation) and now their daughter has no insurance until they can figure something out

Yep, this is the point:

When we talk in terms of large numbers, the thinking has to change: consider how far a light year...really is. How far is it from where you are sitting reading this? (This is what I use to help people understand the Internet). Drastically far, isn't it? Can you see how far away it is?

When we talk 50 million people(again, the low end of the estimate) losing their insurance, the thinking also has to change, drastically. You've been to a Bills game. That's 80k(old days) and 70k now. How many "old" Bills games = 50 million people? Try to visualize that. That's 625 Bills games.

Then, visualize only 32 guys in each Bills game, losing their wife/kid, and going postal. That's the 20k fathers.

As I said, think that's too much? Cut the # in half, if you want. Cut it in half again. Cut it in half as many times as you want....it's still a very large number of people going nuts, and shooting up the place...whatever "the place" is. 500 men going postal in a 6 month period, would cause mass hysteria. 50 would as well.

Anybody want to have a gun rights discussion then? The hysteria, as hysteria does, would lead to more, as people overreacted.

But, let's say you decide, whether you talk to your priest, or the Family Feud guy, you aren't going to do it. Let's say you just make it your mission in life that another far-left clown never gets elected again. That makes 49 guys instead. Great. But remember, we've already eliminated so many of you, when we cut the # down from 20k.

This is why I am a little worried. I'm not tin-foil hat paranoid. I just understand large numbers.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

The numbers could be even larger. I've heard up to 100 million could lose their insurance once the employer mandate goes into effect.

People will begin to know by the Summer of Recovery 6 next year when their HR departments begin floating the balloons around their offices about how the company is expecting big changes in healthcare coverages. They'll try to soften the blow, with messaging that will clearly explain why the company is backing away from this employee benefit. Oh, they'll give a stipend of a grand or two to the lucky ones, but at the end of the day millions of American workers are going to be kicked off their healthcare coverage plans and forced into Obama's swamp.

Way to go Dems. Now just go to hell. You're deserving.

Good news!! This should make all you Conservatives happy. Health care costs are slowing, in part because of Obamacare. It's working!

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/11/obamacare-health-care-costs-report-100130.html

The slowing growth in health care costs isn’t just a fluke or a remnant of the recession, the White House asserted in a report released Wednesday, but rather a result of reforms in Obamacare.

The White House report is an attempt to shape the debate over how much credit should be given to the Affordable Care Act for the growth in health care spending dropping to its lowest levels since the 1960s.

Awesome!!

Good news!! This should make all you Conservatives happy. Health care costs are slowing, in part because of Obamacare. It's working!

http://www.politico....ort-100130.html

Awesome!!

The entire article falls apart on this one statement.

"the White House asserted"

The white house also assert that "if you like your plan you can keep it"

The entire article falls apart on this one statement.

"the White House asserted"

The white house also assert that "if you like your plan you can keep it"

This will be the left's albatross for years: they blatantly lied to the American people to pass a law no one wanted, then lied about the lies...and we're supposed to believe anything they say?

Look for the cartoons coming of a turkey getting pardoned by Obama, and realizing his words are absolutely useless.

Elections have consequences. Shedding liberty for the illusion of security has consequences.

You damn libertarians and your ridiculous talk about liberty and tyranny. Remember the words of your president.:

"Unfortunately you've grown up hearing voices that incessantly warn of government as nothing more than some separate, sinister entity that's at the root of all of our problems. Some of these same voices do their best to gum up the works. They'll warn that tyranny is always lurking just around the corner. You should reject these voices."

The numbers could be even larger. I've heard up to 100 million could lose their insurance once the employer mandate goes into effect.

People will begin to know by the Summer of Recovery 6 next year when their HR departments begin floating the balloons around their offices about how the company is expecting big changes in healthcare coverages. They'll try to soften the blow, with messaging that will clearly explain why the company is backing away from this employee benefit. Oh, they'll give a stipend of a grand or two to the lucky ones, but at the end of the day millions of American workers are going to be kicked off their healthcare coverage plans and forced into Obama's swamp.

Way to go Dems. Now just go to hell. You're deserving.

We may have to scrap our whole plan for our company next year. We've spent two weeks trying to be proactive but it's kind if hard being proactive if you haven't a clue what's coming down the pike.

thanks Mom. Auto correct is not correct

Autofill is worse than autocorrect. I recently got cc'ed on an email between one of my customers and one of my competitors because my email was autofilled by mistake. It lasted about a dozen emails of the customer destroying my competitor for not knowing what he was doing and abandoning a job.

Meanwhile...back on track, please enjoy your new commemorative stamps from the US Postal Service celebrating Obamacare...

Obamacare_Stamps_color.jpg

We may have to scrap our whole plan for our company next year. We've spent two weeks trying to be proactive but it's kind if hard being proactive if you haven't a clue what's coming down the pike.

Why are you set in being an obstructionist.?

Just get on board and have faith that these little wrinkles will be iron out with future legislation... or another decree.

It's not just the White House, costs really have slowed! I thought that would make Conservatives happy?

How can you guys not be happy about slowing health care costs??

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2013/11/20/health-care-spending-growth/3650243/

Heck, even the GOP supported study gave Obamacare credit!

Republican critics of the law, such as Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, remained skeptical, citing a report by actuaries for the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services that said much of the reduced increase in spending was due to the economic slowdown and not the law.

That report, published in September in the journal Health Affairs, predicted a higher rate of increase in health spending than the White House report. However, the actuaries also credited the law for some of the reduced increases in costs, as well as a slower economy, the slow growth in public programs and increased cost-sharing requirements for patients.

It's not just the White House, costs really have slowed! I thought that would make Conservatives happy?

How can you guys not be happy about slowing health care costs??

http://www.usatoday....growth/3650243/

Heck, even the GOP supported study gave Obamacare credit!

This is like arguing that the Obama administration has done great work stemming the number of illegal aliens entering the country by tanking the economy.

But hey...you keep trying to sell Obamacare. All day. Every day. Get out there and let those 10s of millions of people your party lied to who are losing their plans and doctors hear about an 'in the weeds' number...and let them know it's really, really true this time.

Good luck with that. :lol:

Edited by LABillzFan

Elections have consequences. Shedding liberty for the illusion of security has consequences.

Nonsense, elections shouldn't matter according to Pelosi.

This is like arguing that the Obama administration has done great work stemming the number of illegal aliens entering the country by tanking the economy.

But hey...you keep trying to sell Obamacare. All day. Every day. Get out there and let those 10s of millions of people your party lied to who are losing their plans and doctors hear about an 'in the weeds' number...and let them know it's really, really true this time.

Good luck with that. :lol:

Pshaw, it's not "tens of millions" losing insurance, it's a measly 5%. That means 95% of the US population isn't affected by this minor glitch that no one could have predicted. You know what's also 5%? A nickel. Who cares about a nickel? What can you buy with a nickel anyhow? Nothing, that's right.

Nonsense, elections shouldn't matter according to Pelosi.

Pshaw, it's not "tens of millions" losing insurance, it's a measly 5%. That means 95% of the US population isn't affected by this minor glitch that no one could have predicted. You know what's also 5%? A nickel. Who cares about a nickel? What can you buy with a nickel anyhow? Nothing, that's right.

Isn't it only 1.3% that have to pay a tiny bit more?

And overall the budget situation improves because of Obamacare! That's awesome. So repealing this law will actually cost America more