The Affordable Care Act is Coming Home to Roost

I just had an employee walk into my office and say he wants to discontinue his health insurance because he's eligible for about $250 per month in a subsidy. He'll save money by doing this. Looks like Obamacare is working. He gets part of his premium paid for and he'll keep voting for the guys and gals that provide that for him.

It may be working to save him money. But that's temporary and he'll have a hard time finding a doctor.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just had an employee walk into my office and say he wants to discontinue his health insurance because he's eligible for about $250 per month in a subsidy. He'll save money by doing this. Looks like Obamacare is working. He gets part of his premium paid for and he'll keep voting for the guys and gals that provide that for him.

That's great news. Did he compare deductibles and caps or just his out of pocket cost for coverage?

Isn't the exchange for people that don't have employer-provided insurance available? Not for people that have it but simply don't want it?

He's in an unusual situation. He buys coverage for his kids through an Illinois program that has been around for years that heavily subsidizes that cost. The state program pays about 80% of the cost. His wife was covered by a plan they bought separately because "family coverage" through us was pretty expensive compared to the cost to buy a plan for her only separately, and he wanted to keep the subsidized plan for the kids. We will go over all the coverage and cost details tomorrow and I'd wager that he's not looking at this apples to apples. As of now he can get three subsidies. One through the state for his kids and one through Obamacare for he and his wife plus whatever stipend we offer if he declines our coverage altogether.

He's in an unusual situation. He buys coverage for his kids through an Illinois program that has been around for years that heavily subsidizes that cost. The state program pays about 80% of the cost. His wife was covered by a plan they bought separately because "family coverage" through us was pretty expensive compared to the cost to buy a plan for her only separately, and he wanted to keep the subsidized plan for the kids. We will go over all the coverage and cost details tomorrow and I'd wager that he's not looking at this apples to apples. As of now he can get three subsidies. One through the state for his kids and one through Obamacare for he and his wife plus whatever stipend we offer if he declines our coverage altogether.

We look forward to his appearance in the balcony at the next State of the Union address by King Obama.

He always likes to have a few representative examples of how his largess enriches the lives of millions of the American faithful on hand to stir the crowd. It's good for ratings.

For Democrats in 2014, the Web site is not the problem

by Marc A. Thiessen

Democrats are praying that this weekend’s relaunch of the Obamacare Web site will save them from an electoral bloodbath in 2014. Their hopes are misplaced. Here are five numbers that suggest that public anger over Obamacare will only grow as Election Day 2014 approaches:

5.5 million. That is how many people the administration needs to sign up in just 23 days because Obamacare drove them out of their health-care plans. That’s some 240,000 sign-ups every single day, just to break even.

50 million. That is how many Americans will be surprised to find their employer-based health plans dropped or substantially changed next year because of Obamacare. Some will see their plans canceled; others will lose their doctors and see premiums or deductibles rise dramatically. If Democrats think the public is mad about 5.5 million cancellations in the individual market today, imagine the outrage when tens of millions lose their plans in October 2014, right before Election Day.

53. That is the percentage of Americans who now say that President Obama is not “honest or trustworthy.” Americans are not just questioning Obama’s competence, they also are questioning his integrity

12. That is the number of Senate Democrats up for reelection in 2014 who are complicit in Obama’s lie. They are on record (and on YouTube) making the same false promise.

7. That is the number of states with vulnerable Democratic-held senate seats that also have Republican governors. Why is this important? Because Obamacare premiums are set to skyrocket next year (because the exchanges are signing up many older, sicker people and not enough of the young, healthy people needed to subsidize the others). No wonder the president moved next year’s Obamacare sign-up date to 11 days after Election Day. The flaw in his plan is that the nation’s governors will know the new rates before Election Day. In blue states, Democratic governors may keep the secret, but in red states, such as Alaska, Iowa, Louisiana, Michigan, North Carolina, New Mexico and South Dakota, Republican governors won’t. So not only will millions of Americans get hit with cancellations next October, many also will learn that they cannot afford new coverage under Obamacare either — right before they go to the polls.

In other words, Democrats who are obsessing over the failure of the Web site are focused on the wrong problem. Americans are not just angry about a broken Web site; they are angry about a broken promise. They are angry about being told they could keep their health plans but finding out that pledge was never meant to be kept.

More (on each number) at the link: http://www.washingto...ae21_story.html

Good news, everyone! The web site is fixed. No. Really.

Bob Shlora of Alpharetta, Ga., was supposed to be a belated Obamacare success story. After weeks of trying, the 61-year-old told ABC News he fully enrolled in a newhealth insurance plan through the federal marketplace over the weekend, and received a Humana policy ID number to prove it.

But two days later, his insurer has no record of the transaction, Shlora said, even though his account on the government website indicates that he has a plan.

“I feel like this: My application was taken … by a bureaucrat, it was put on a conveyor belt and it’s still going around, and it’s never going to leave the building,” he said. “I’ve lost hope. If it happens, great.”

Lost hope? How about some change?

Video: Sticker shock greets those who successfully navigate Healthcare.gov

“Now that those glitches have been taken care of,” Newsnet 5′s Debora Lee reports, one Ohio woman finally went shopping for health insurance on Healthcare.gov — and wishes she hadn’t. “I thought it was supposed to help,” Liz Binns told Lee, but now she asks, “How can I pay this kind of money out?”

Welcome to the (kinda) fully functional ObamaCare

White House ready to go on offense over ObamaCare or something

FTA:

If they know that the next eight weeks, at least, will be filled with more ObamaCare landmines exploding — and they will be — then they’ve got three options. They can stand around waiting for them to go off and then hem and haw their way through the wreckage when they do. They can try to change the subject to some other area of policy, like Iran, and hope somehow that the media remains fixated on it hour-by-hour until, er, February. Or they can swallow hard and try to defend the law, if only to force reporters to squeeze a little “ObamaCare has good intentions” pap into news stories about people suffering lapses in their coverage next month because they can’t get the farking website to work or can’t afford their new premiums.

{snip}

Update: Indeed:

Again, no matter. The crisis that these errors will create in January is January’s problem.

Today’s crisis, one of internal cohesion within the Democratic Party, is more acute. The left demands that caution be abandoned in favor of a hollow display of force.

These panic-inspired offensive operations against ACA opponents are not designed to achieve any strategic objective.
They are politically inspired and are aimed at achieving a political goal. Each has had the temporary effect of increasing Democratic unity, but the president cannot overcome the static conditions of the terrain on which they are fighting. The underlying problems associated with the ACA are fracturing the Democratic Party
. So long as the ACA remains unreformed, the Democrats are in a losing position.

LOL............IowaHawk......of course.

2375_84984116216_633511216_2728356_7132856_n_normal.jpgDavid Burge@iowahawkblog20h

Good news! New improved http://Healthcare.gov queuing system makes sure you go straight to the Fuh Queue.

Expand Collapse

Bonus:

David Burge@iowahawkblog 6h

We handed the healthcare system of the world's largest economy to the Harvard Prom Decorations Committee. #GoodJobAmerica

Bonus:

We handed the healthcare system of the world's largest economy to the Harvard Prom Decorations Committee. #GoodJobAmerica

Bonus:

But they are really smart.

So let's see if I've got the math straight here:

My health insurance, which is pretty middle-of-the-road, costs about $1200/mo, of which my employer picks up about $700/mo. In addition, I contribute about $150/mo to a FSA.

Because of the premiums (not the coverage), under the ACA that's considered a "Cadillac plan" (note that it wouldn't be if I were female, which is ironic considering I'm required to carry maternity care). The amount of the premiums - employer plus employee paid - above $10,200, PLUS the amount contributed to the FSA is subject to a 40% excise tax. That's 40% of $6,200 = $2,480 my employer owes in excise taxes. PLUS the $8,400 they pay in premiums. Next year my health insurance will cost my company $10,980.

And what's the penalty for offering no coverage? $2,000.

Assume I'm an outlier and divide the difference by 2, then multiply by the 6,000 people my company employs. That's $25M they save not offering health insurance.

Why the hell would ANY company offer health insurance to employees under those terms?

My health insurance, which is pretty middle-of-the-road, costs about $1200/mo, of which my employer picks up about $700/mo. In addition, I contribute about $150/mo to a FSA.

Because of the premiums (not the coverage), under the ACA that's considered a "Cadillac plan" (note that it wouldn't be if I were female, which is ironic considering I'm required to carry maternity care). The amount of the premiums - employer plus employee paid - above $10,200, PLUS the amount contributed to the FSA is subject to a 40% excise tax. That's 40% of $6,200 = $2,480 my employer owes in excise taxes. PLUS the $8,400 they pay in premiums. Next year my health insurance will cost my company $10,980.

Assume I'm an outlier and divide the difference by 2, then multiply by the 6,000 people my company employs. That's $25M they save not offering health insurance.

Why the hell would ANY company offer health insurance to employees under those terms?

you're an idiot. They hired you. They're idiots. So they might

This nonsense provided to you by one funny dude

There is no reason for companies not to drop employees. Which is what is coming in mid-2014, to the tune of 50-80M people. And while Barry has decided to delay enrollment for 2015 until after the election (So 50-80M people will have to sign up in a month and a half?!), Governors will get the new price information, and the Repub ones are expected to announce them right before the mid-terms.

Exactly my position as well. when the excise tax on Cadillac plans kicks in in 2015, my employer cannot afford to cover us. I cannot imagine any other reason this was written into the law except to purposely force people into the exchanges. I work for a Fortune 500 and they can't afford it, what hope does anyone else have?

I cannot imagine any other reason this was written into the law except to purposely force people into the exchanges.

Another key point in support of that being: "Cadillac" is defined by premiums not coverage. As premiums go up (which they will), more plans will become "Cadillac" plans.

But the truly interesting point, I thought, was how much more money this puts into the pockets of corporations. $25M is a significant chunk of change in my company. In any other context, the very idiots who passed this law would be calling this "corporate welfare."

Another key point in support of that being: "Cadillac" is defined by premiums not coverage. As premiums go up (which they will), more plans will become "Cadillac" plans.

But the truly interesting point, I thought, was how much more money this puts into the pockets of corporations. $25M is a significant chunk of change in my company. In any other context, the very idiots who passed this law would be calling this "corporate welfare."

And those evil insurance companies could make out by getting premiums for the same prices as before, but with the government subsidizing it for people, and paying doctors Medicaid wages.

And those evil insurance companies could make out by getting premiums for the same prices as before, but with the government subsidizing it for people, and paying doctors Medicaid wages.

Doctors need to pay their fair share and work for slave Medicaid wages.

Exactly my position as well. when the excise tax on Cadillac plans kicks in in 2015, my employer cannot afford to cover us. I cannot imagine any other reason this was written into the law except to purposely force people into the exchanges. I work for a Fortune 500 and they can't afford it, what hope does anyone else have?

The perks will remain as fringe benefits for folks like me. As always, it's the middle class who suffers. Nothing about my comp plan or insurance will change. My support staff? They're !@#$ed.

So, those of you with Cadillac plans, what is the options of self insuring?

I have done it before, it was not that much different then what I got with any company I worked for or for the exchange I am in now. It was, though, mostly emergency medical coverage because I will be damned if I am going to pay in to something and not get crap out. If I get an illness, like the bronchitis I have now, I will eventually just go to an urgent care facility where I will pay $50 or something high like that. Which is fine, because instead of paying $800 for a "silver" plan or $1200 for a "gold' plan or $1600 for a "platinum" plan, I pay bare bones and still come out on top - and don't give a **** who my doctor is...

The perks will remain as fringe benefits for folks like me. As always, it's the middle class who suffers. Nothing about my comp plan or insurance will change. My support staff? They're !@#$ed.

Well there is NO relief in sight for them.

The Emperor has spoken.

Obama on ObamaCare: There’s no way we’re repealing this boondoggle while I’m president, America

Is this really the message Democrats wanted him to put out today, when news outlets are filled with stories about rate shock, glitchy enrollments, and catastrophic security lapses? I thought the headline was supposed to be “ObamaCare is wonderful,” not “There’s nothing you can do.”

Good lord. This feels like a communique from Two-Face to Gotham city:

nbc.jpg

The clip shows him engaged in a common lie, that there are no conservative alternatives to ObamaCare, but that’s probably his best play from a weak hand.

If you think something should be done about the health-care system, well, ObamaCare qualifies as “something.” Even if it all goes to hell next year, at least he tried, right?........................................................ Maybe that’ll save a Senate seat or two for Democrats.

He also assured his audience today that O-Care will help reduce the number of uninsured in America, which might eventually be true but surely isn’t true at the moment.

Never forget, for all his hyperventilating about the junk insurance that Americans were supposedly stuck with before the dawn of this boondoggle, his idea of improving health care for the poor is to expand the junkiest insurance of all.

http://hotair.com/archives/2013/12/03/obama-on-obamacare-theres-no-way-were-repealing-this-boondoggle-while-im-president-america/

Well there is NO relief in sight for them.

The Emperor has spoken.

And those people behind Obama at his speech today? Do you know who they were? Neither does the media, and the WH ain't telling because....ummmm.....TRANSPARENCY!!!

But Obama never said who those people were, and, unlike other events, the White House did not release their names or biographies. A spokesman later said the White House would not provide the information. A pool report called the group "19 individuals whom the White House said benefited from health care reform." Beyond that, their connection to Obamacare remains unknown.

If your company chose to discontinue a health insurance benefit cold turkey and sent all 6000 of you to buy your own insurance, they would be reducing your compensation substantially. They'd have 6000 pretty unhappy employees if they did that. I doubt many companies will do that unless they are in financial trouble. Pissing off your workforce is never good. Short term you're probably safe. Longer term who knows.

And those people behind Obama at his speech today? Do you know who they were? Neither does the media, and the WH ain't telling because....ummmm.....TRANSPARENCY!!!

Obama is Harold Hill, but without the eventual change of heart. The problem with his bungling is that he won't even achieve the eventual results of the Music Man. He's nothing but a "flim-flam man".

If your company chose to discontinue a health insurance benefit cold turkey and sent all 6000 of you to buy your own insurance, they would be reducing your compensation substantially. They'd have 6000 pretty unhappy employees if they did that. I doubt many companies will do that unless they are in financial trouble. Pissing off your workforce is never good. Short term you're probably safe. Longer term who knows.

This strictly depends on the level of compensation of the employees as a whole. If most of the employees make lower wages and qualify for subsidies and their employer insurance was not "Cadillac" level then they might be better off. But then again, someone other than the government will actually be subsidising them. The law sucks, no matter how you look at it. It does exactly what not they claimed it would do.

Oh, it won't be cold turkey. Companies like that will offer a stipend to their workers. If they previously paid $700/month ($8,400/year) they'll deduct the $2,000 penalty from that and offer their employees three or four thousand dollars and give them a list of health care insurers to contact. And if employees are pissed, what's their alternative? If all companies are doing the same thing, i.e., bolting from offering a substantial employee benefit - where does everyone go?

Nothing says compassion like Obamacare! And these azzholes think people are going to be deaf, dumb, and blind for the midterm elections because the deadline got moved a week or two. Never in the course of American history have so few screwed over so many so badly in such a short amount of time.

they won't, they (and my company) will offer plans that run in the compensation package they were offering before. That means our coverage goes down and cost for us goes up. It has too, it is impossible for it not to. The President lied to me when he said I could keep my plan. He specficially wrote language in the Law that prevents me from keeping my current insurance with the 40% excise tax which hits in 2015...

Oh, it won't be cold turkey. Companies like that will offer a stipend to their workers. If they previously paid $700/month ($8,400/year) they'll deduct the $2,000 penalty from that and offer their employees three or four thousand dollars and give them a list of health care insurers to contact. And if employees are pissed, what's their alternative? If all companies are doing the same thing, i.e., bolting from offering a substantial employee benefit - where does everyone go?

Nothing says compassion like Obamacare! And these azzholes think people are going to be deaf, dumb, and blind for the midterm elections because the deadline got moved a week or two. Never in the course of American history have so few screwed over so many so badly in such a short amount of time.

I think the law is terrible and agree that it gives employers an incentive to get out of the health insurance business. Stipends come with other expenses as they would be subject to taxation and other costs (FICA, Medicare, Medicaid, Unemployment ins, Workers comp ins, Retirement plan contributions) so employers will weigh all this. I can see a transition over time where employers move from providing insurance to offering a stipend and then to neither.

Two years ago the workforce was 8500. That should tell you all you need to know about their attitude towards the workforce right there.

It may be working to save him money. But that's temporary and he'll have a hard time finding a doctor.

Update: Plan this person wants to buy is "bronze". I just explained to him how the deductible and co-insurance (only 60% coverage) works. A cheap plan it is but you're pretty exposed if you need any care. The deductible is high also. He's rethinking this.

Update: Plan this person wants to buy is "bronze". I just explained to him how the deductible and co-insurance (only 60% coverage) works. A cheap plan it is but you're pretty exposed if you need any care. The deductible is high also. He's rethinking this.

does he use or need medical treatment often? Is he single w/o dependents?

If your company chose to discontinue a health insurance benefit cold turkey and sent all 6000 of you to buy your own insurance, they would be reducing your compensation substantially. They'd have 6000 pretty unhappy employees if they did that.

True, but health care at the workplace has always been a bennie...something put on the table with vacation days, 401K programs, etc. Some offered more and some offered less and while some people would take a job based on how good the bennies were, the reality is that in the next two years, I'd suggest it won't be considered a bennie by virtually all companies. Factor in the ridiculous stagnant economy Obama has brought us and yes, you'll have 6,000 unhappy employees, but their options will be nomimal.

In other words, in two years, everyone will realize that Obamacare killed employer health benefits and allowed corporate America to take the profits back because middle class workers won't have many options for employment that will be better than what they have.

LOL.......how disorganized do you have to be to hold a Pep Rally for Obamacare and then have this happen.

A little later, criticizing Republicans who have pronounced Obamacare a failure, the president said, "I would advise them to check with the people who are here today and the people that they represent all across the country whose lives have been changed for the better by the Affordable Care Act."

So the media does as he asked and tries to check with the people and unlike other events, the White House did not release their names or biographies.

A spokesman later said the White House would not provide the information. A pool report called the group "19 individuals whom the White House said benefited from health care reform." Beyond that, their connection to Obamacare remains unknown.

Its not really important who they are but

Why did they let him say that and allow themselves to look foolish again?

http://washingtonexaminer.com/who-was-standing-behind-obama-today-white-house-wont-say/article/2540122

LOL.......how disorganized do you have to be to hold a Pep Rally for Obamacare and then have this happen.

A little later, criticizing Republicans who have pronounced Obamacare a failure, the president said, "I would advise them to check with the people who are here today and the people that they represent all across the country whose lives have been changed for the better by the Affordable Care Act."

So the media does as he asked and tries to check with the people and unlike other events, the White House did not release their names or biographies.

A spokesman later said the White House would not provide the information. A pool report called the group "19 individuals whom the White House said benefited from health care reform." Beyond that, their connection to Obamacare remains unknown.

Its not really important who they are but

Why did they let him say that and allow themselves to look foolish again?

http://washingtonexaminer.com/who-was-standing-behind-obama-today-white-house-wont-say/article/2540122

rheotrical question? Obama got his quotes. He is now on the TV saying the website works, these are just a handful of people better off with the ACA and those who say there is no good to this need to check again because of the first two being proof.

People will buy in to it. They'll hear it ripped apart by talking heads then side with the Pres for now because he is the Pres and the media will curve the story to sound favorable.

Friends Don’t Let Friends Pretend Obamacare Works

The president’s remarks Tuesday marked a hard pivot back to what Obamacare advocates do best: Tug at heartstrings. Monica, Julia, and Justine . . . You wouldn’t want to deny them health insurance, would you?

Of course not.

But for each of the compelling stories the president shared, there’s another story on the other side of the ledger. There’s Edie, and Debra, and Liz. We could swap anecdotes all day long, but these individual stories don’t provide a full assessment of Obamacare, where many will enter, and few will win.

As the president said himself, only about 500,000 people are currently set to gain coverage through both the exchanges and the Medicaid expansion.

While these enrollees may celebrate that they now have coverage, the more important question is this: What kind of health care will enrollees be able to access?

Obamacare supporters are obsessed with coverage, often because they confound health coverage with health care.

Keep reading this post . . .

well. Now that you're back troll boy go back a few pages. To cover all the folks cut off of insurance by Obama they need to get well more then that to break even.

But hey, no one expects you to really make a valid point or argument. You won't even stand up to Tom who you mock constantly

well. Now that you're back troll boy go back a few pages. To cover all the folks cut off of insurance by Obama they need to get well more then that to break even.

But hey, no one expects you to really make a valid point or argument. You won't even stand up to Tom who you mock constantly

Flys don't mock fly swatters. They just annoyingly buzz around until they get flattened.