The Affordable Care Act is Coming Home to Roost

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drafting Docs : Look for doctors to be conscripted to treat Medicare and Medicaid patients.

The main obstacle to reducing Medicare and Medicaid spending is the fact that physicians have a choice about whether to participate in the programs. In the long run, the fact that physicians have a choice about whom they see and where they practice is the most significant challenge to the full implementation of Obamacare. The logical thing — politically and economically — is to eliminate that choice. You don’t have to formally nationalize the health-care industry; you just nationalize 40 percent of each physician’s practice and call it his “fair share.”

I'd almost like to see the libtards try this. I realize that they seem to think that the US Constitution is nothing more than a mere suggestion, but that whole minor 13th Amendment thing may get in the way.

At least we can keep our health insurance plan - if we like it, and we can keep our Doctors - if we like them. The President said so.

No you nitwit, he said you can keep your insurance plan so long as it hasn't changed even the slightest since 2010, and only then if he likes it, and that you can keep your doctors if you like them, subject to Emperor Obama's determination of whether or not your feelings towards your doctor qualify as "like". Period.

Stop misquoting the Chosen One, you racist women-hating bible thumping gun toting malicious evil teabagger.

I can't believe the results of the Harvard Survey, and, if I understand it correctly, this isn't some snap poll. This is coming from the young people they've been talking to over the course of many years.

I mean, those are scary numbers if you are a Democrat. Those are quite literally Mondale numbers. Sure, opinions change and the next news cycle...etc.

However, if they don't get those numbers up, and I mean way up, back to 2012 numbers, they are screwed in 2014 and 16. The generic Democrat candidate needs to be running at 55%, minimum, among young voters to have any chance of winning. http://www.people-press.org/2012/11/26/young-voters-supported-obama-less-but-may-have-mattered-more/

Right now, Obama is running at 47% young people that would recall him? Not just not like him right now, but throw him out of office? :o 46% would not. Cripes. Even if we are generous, Obama, and you bet your ass: the generic D, who isn't Obama, is running 9 points behind where he needs to be.

As my link states: it's about turnout. You don't get the turnout, and you get less than 55% of those that do?

That's a slaughter. That's the math. The older voters who can't stand the guy will turn out. If the younger voters don't show? Slaughter.

This is my anti-B-Man impersonation:

So get this Repugs:http://www.washingto...d-on-obamacare/

But take it from me, your Senior Plum Line Reckless and Irresponsible Youth Correspondent: young people will eventually come around on Obamacare. Here are six reasons why.

1. Young people are not actually invincible. In fact, like most humans, we are rather squishy and helpless, and die quite easily. Today brings a very good example of this from inside the the White House itself. As Michael Robertson, the chief of staff in the Cabinet Affairs Office, demonstrates, serious illness can strike at any time:

[He] was diagnosed with stage IV colorectal cancer at age 35. “I went overnight from being completely healthy and exercising and all that to having this catastrophic disease,” he said.

Obamacare can be a tough sell for absolutely healthy young males. But as Robertson shows, even those people can be turned in an instant to people with pre-existing conditions — which is to say, people who will benefit from the protection of Obamacare.

2. Going without insurance is morally wrong. The only way insurance can work for everyone is if everyone is in the system so risk can be pooled. This one doesn’t carry much weight yet, since the system isn’t even operating. However, as time passes, this will become an important norm — and for young people, the norm has outsized importance (older people already have a reason to get coverage; they get sick more easily). Getting insurance will be part of living in a decent society where everyone chips in when they can afford it, and free-riding is frowned upon — and over time, young people will come to see this as part of being a responsible citizen.

3. It’s the law. People hate paying fines and generally prefer to follow the rules, even if it would be cheaper to do pay the fine rather than pick up insurance. Being judged is unpleasant. Maybe it’s true that young people would be relatively more likely to get on the wrong side of the law, but even most young people will ultimately want to follow the rules.

4. People haven’t grasped how the subsidies work yet. Younger uninsured people are disproportionately poorer — and less likely to pay attention to media coverage — and the range of subsides available hasn’t sunk in yet. This is compounded, of course, by the website’s struggles, but once the range of financial help trickles through the national consciousness young people will be surprised at the prices on offer.

5. Pressure from mom and dad. Take it from me, few things make your folks more nervous than the knowledge that a simple accident or serious illness means instant medical bankruptcy, and maybe even them having to dip into their retirement account to save your sorry carcass. These days, hospitals look on uninsured people with the cold calculation of a loan shark, and a single little laceration can easily run into the multiple thousands.

6. Being uninsured sucks! Without insurance, even for cocky young bohemians, there is a constant little voice nagging you all the time, especially when even a minor medical issue crops up. What if? it says. What if I get the flu this year and I can’t work for a week? But that shot is 45 bucks without insurance! What if this rash is something serious? But I can’t afford to go to urgent care! Season with a little WebMD-induced hypochondria, and this can be a profound source of anxiety.

:obamacare has many fail-safes built in to keep the system going for a couple years at least even if young people stay away en masse at first. Eventually, young people will forget they ever worried about :o bamacare, and buying health insurance (if you don’t get it through work) will be part of becoming a full-fledged adult.

....just thought I'd do a little bizzaro-world today. :lol:

I'll leave it to the posters here to chop up 1-6, but, when I say "wishcasting" this is the finest example I've ever seen of it.

Have at it. I expect nothing less than hamburger when I return.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

No you nitwit, he said you can keep your insurance plan so long as it hasn't changed even the slightest since 2010, and only then if he likes it, and that you can keep your doctors if you like them, subject to Emperor Obama's determination of whether or not your feelings towards your doctor qualify as "like". Period.

Stop misquoting the Chosen One, you racist women-hating bible thumping gun toting malicious evil teabagger.

I'm trying to stop. I really, really am. But it isn't easy. Somebody else needs to make that happen for me. Maybe the government can help. I hear the NSA is doing a crack job of snooping. Are they the ones the dictator put in charge of checking whether people were changing their underwear every sixteen minutes like he commanded?

This is my anti-B-Man impersonation:

So get this Repugs:http://www.washingto...d-on-obamacare/

But take it from me, your Senior Plum Line Reckless and Irresponsible Youth Correspondent: young people will eventually come around on Obamacare. Here are six reasons why.

:obamacare has many fail-safes built in to keep the system going for a couple years at least even if young people stay away en masse at first. Eventually, young people will forget they ever worried about :o bamacare, and buying health insurance (if you don’t get it through work) will be part of becoming a full-fledged adult.

....just thought I'd do a little bizzaro-world today. :lol:

I'll leave it to the posters here to chop up 1-6, but, when I say "wishcasting" this is the finest example I've ever seen of it.

Have at it. I expect nothing less than hamburger when I return.

Am I allowed to give the "anti-" Anti-B-Man" response :w00t:

1. Young people are not actually invincible: No Sh*t. This "attitude" among younger Americans has been around for over a century, I hardly think that the Affordable Care Act and examples of young administration illnesses will change that.

2. Going without insurance is morally wrong.: Easily the funniest of the six. The Left will now play the morals card. Good luck with that.

3. It’s the law: True. But history shows us that laws change, and the smart money is on the youth waiting til the last possible moment, and by then (as I said) the law may have changed.

4. People haven’t grasped how the subsidies work yet: Tell us Mighty WaPo, how stupid we are.........................I do agree with the last line of section 4, young people will be surprised at the prices on offer.

5. Pressure from mom and dad: Another hilarious one. I raised my three kids to stand on their own (I'll help them when they need it) but lecture them to get Obamacare........nope.

6. Being uninsured sucks! (Another keen insight ) My kids have two RN"s for parents, two MD's for uncles, two Nurse Practitioners for aunts, their whole life they have been hearing about health care, they are now adults, they can make their own decisions (see #5)

I guess this "five years down the road" all these twenty year olds will sign up proclamation is kinda short sighted, they will just be replaced by the "new" twenty year old, whio have just the same objections to paying thousands of dollars a year for "coverage" that they do not need.

I'd like to propose legislation that would allow people to keep their children on their healthcare plans until the children reach the age of 65.

it used to be 18 unless they are full time students, at least in Ohio. In NC it is 28, IIRC.

Poll: Support for ObamaCare down sharply among white women

Mary Landrieu: You’re damned right I ordered the code red on affordable health-care coverage, and I’d do it again

What’s a few hundred million dollars between friends?

Different media outlets have pegged the cost to build the cost to build ill-fated Obamacare exchange website at anywhere from $350 to $618 million. According to two tech experts who appeared on Sean Hannity ‘s Fox News program on Wednesday the price should have been more like $5-10 million. Most of the discussion centered on the lack of security on Healthcare.gov, but as Hannity was ending the segment he asked the two experts, David Kennedy, president of database security firm TrustedSec and Luke Chung, president and founder of the software firm FMS

“If you would have been hired to build this site, how much could you build it for and how much better could it be?” Kennedy answered; “I would say to build a site like this with the infrastructure, the architecture around it, you are looking at
maybe $5 million to $10 million
at a very maximum rate.”

Hannity referring to the Congressional testimony of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Henry Chao that as much as 40 percent of the site had yet to be even built, asked:

Totally secure and it would work, functional start to finish. You wouldn’t still need to build 40% of the website? Kennedy responded, “Basically functional. You do proper testing. This isn’t rocket science. Web application development is a proven science. Companies do it all the time. Luke Chung agreed: “I would agree with Mr. Kennedy
in the $5 million-$10 million range max.”
and added, “None of these contractors are ever held accountable for delivering such crap.

Internal email from yesterday between 2 people here discussing employee leaving our coverage and moving to Obamacare Bronze. Read from bottom up. You can't make this stuff up!

Well, since it’s bull **** it falls into your area of responsibility. You are the CBO.

Yes, and it’s not even straight up bull ****, it’s confusing with bull **** bombs around every corner!

This whole thing is total bull ****

I sent an email to XXXXX at XXXXX asking if I could drop him online or if there was something else I needed to do. She called me and long story short, he can’t drop our coverage and go on Obamacare and claim a federal subsidy. As long as an employer offers employees coverage they are not eligible for a subsidy, he would have to lie during the application, it is illegal and supposedly the IRS will enforce. You are also not able to drop coverage unless you can prove you have other coverage. XXXXXX is saying that he can’t drop our coverage until the next open enrollment period (next November) or if we as a company decide to drop our group coverage at any time or if there is a special enrollment situation for him like having a baby or divorce. XXXXX's wife can go through Obamacare and get a subsidy since she’s not eligible for coverage through an employer.

“If you would have been hired to build this site, how much could you build it for and how much better could it be?” Kennedy answered; “I would say to build a site like this with the infrastructure, the architecture around it, you are looking at maybe $5 million to $10 million at a very maximum rate.”

The $300-600M spent is bull ****, but so's $5-10M. Maybe just the coding...but if you want full life-cycle development with integration with independent state and industry systems, you can't do it for less than $30M-50M. For government work, double it for the oversight you need to make sure you're not wasting money. :wacko:

Youth, Hispanics and white women turning on Obama. What everyone, including and especially the president, is witnessing is quite possibly the most amazing case study in bad product development the country has ever seen. Anyone working in the private sector has seen their employer, or some other company, create and try to sell a product that was not driven by market demand, but by the eye twinkle of a CEO who felt he or she knew what everyone wanted.

I've spent virtually all of my career working for manufacturers, and every one at some point created a new product that few people wanted. They'd spend time and money marketing it, but after a while, the numbers never lied and it became evident to everyone, including the CEO, that they needed to drop the product because in addition to bleeding money, they were losing customers of their other products.

Obama has one product...an eye twinkle of the progressives for years...something they were sure people wanted. Few people want it, and now everyone is bailing.

What you're seeing is the epic failure of a product developed by people who have lived their lives in a bubble.

Youth, Hispanics and white women turning on Obama. What everyone, including and especially the president, is witnessing is quite possibly the most amazing case study in bad product development the country has ever seen. Anyone working in the private sector has seen their employer, or some other company, create and try to sell a product that was not driven by market demand, but by the eye twinkle of a CEO who felt he or she knew what everyone wanted.

I've spent virtually all of my career working for manufacturers, and every one at some point created a new product that few people wanted. They'd spend time and money marketing it, but after a while, the numbers never lied and it became evident to everyone, including the CEO, that they needed to drop the product because in addition to bleeding money, they were losing customers of their other products.

Obama has one product...an eye twinkle of the progressives for years...something they were sure people wanted. Few people want it, and now everyone is bailing.

What you're seeing is the epic failure of a product developed by people who have lived their lives in a bubble.

your analogy to business is interesting in that unlike a real CEO of an actual company, the president doesn't need to worry about losing his job due to poor market performance of his product. he doesn't have to worry about the quality of the product, since his aim is essentially to take over the industry entirely, eliminating any competition (I believe that people who think he's not intending to establish a single-payer system are well off the mark). instead of running ads touting the benefits of his product, they run spots that are pure spin and lies, touted by professional accomplices and devout true-believers. saying that they've lived their lives in a bubble is an understatement....correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a single cabinet member or presidential advisor of his has ever held a private sector position of any real significance. the only thing they know about business is how to tax it and how to destroy it, and they're demonstrating that they can do so at an industry level. they wouldn't know the first thing about running a business if it came up and bit them in the nadgers.

Not The Onion:

Covered California Wants You to Stuff Stockings With Obamacare

Covered California, the state’s Obamacare exchange, wants you to “Give the Gift of Health” this holiday season.

The exchange has put up a new webpage that provides users with several ways to give the gift. Options include:

• Sending loved ones a pre-written emailtelling them you care and want to make sure they have health coverage.”
  • Printing a pledge certificate (shown below) to present to your loved ones “as a symbol of your willingness to help them get insured.”
  • Obtaining a list of “tips for starting a discussion with friends and family about the importance of having health insurance.”

Pledge%20Certificate.JPG

The exchange also suggests that family members or friends “may choose to help young adults by paying for a month or more of their insurance premium.”

Covered California says it will partner with community-based organizations and other Obamacare advocates to promote the “Give the Gift of Health” campaign through email blasts and social media in English and Spanish.

This is in the N.Y.Times.......That Obamacare is a disaster may come as a shock to these readers

Enrollment Errors Put Medical Coverage at Risk

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration said Friday that the enrollment records for roughly a quarter of all the people who signed up for health insurance on its website in October and November could contain errors, raising questions about whether those consumers would get coverage in time to pay for their medical care next month.

Even now, the administration said, it may be sending incomplete or erroneous information to insurers for one in every 10 people who enroll.

The disclosure added yet another complication to a long list of technical troubles that have hampered the rollout of President Obama’s health care law.

http://www.nytimes.c...e.html?hp&_r=1

Indemnity! Whiskey! Sexy! Will young adults greet ObamaCare insurance salesmen as liberators?

This column has made the point before that there are three phases of the ObamaCare catastrophe. Phase 1, the technical failure, might have been avoided had the administration had some basic standards of competence. But Phases 2 and 3 are inherent in the law.

Audits of ObamaCare Critics Just a Coincidence. Uh huh.

Edited by B-Man

This is in the N.Y.Times.......That Obamacare is a disaster may come as a shock to these readers

Have you ever, in your life, seen someone so frequently, blatantly and blindly stand in front of a microphone announcing everything is fine while the complete opposite is happening while they're speaking?

Other than Baghdad Bob, I mean.

Have you ever, in your life, seen someone so frequently, blatantly and blindly stand in front of a microphone announcing everything is fine while the complete opposite is happening while they're speaking?

Other than Baghdad Bob, I mean.

The comments in that article are great. Half of them are "It's a new program, it'll take time to work out the bugs. A 25% failure rate isn't that bad." In the meantime, 25% of the people trying to get insurance, won't.

But you sure were in a great big damned hurry to pass the law without reading it, because lack of insurance was a major crisis.

The comments in that article are great.

The best NYT comments come at the end of a Paul Krugman article. They're not comments, really, so much as long diatribes by what seem to be mini-Krugmans, offering their own amazing economic insight as though they're all gathered together with their laptops in the same den off Krugman's offices, wearing ascots and smoking pipes while typing nonsense in front of a roaring fire.

You have to like how he uses the word "phony" in describing the policies held by the people who are currently losing the very plans and doctors Obama specifically promised them they could keep.

Phony health insurance.

Phony scandals like Benghazi or IRS or Fast and Furious.

Everything is phony to these guys.

It's beyond comical at this point. In fact, it's so easily predictable, even a gatorman can do it.

Nobody’s This Stupid and Incompetent

What consumers can see on the Obamacare Website is bad enough. The landmines that they can't see are far worse.

Doctors boycotting California's Obamacare exchange

An estimated seven out of every 10 physicians in deep-blue California are rebelling against the state's Obamacare health insurance exchange and won't participate, the head of the state's largest medical association said.

“It doesn't surprise me that there's a high rate of nonparticipation,” said Dr. Richard Thorp, president of the California Medical Association.

Thorp has been a primary care doctor for 38 years in a small town 90 miles north of Sacramento. The CMA represents 38,000 of the roughly 104,000 doctors in California.

“We need some recognition that we’re doing a service to the community. But we can’t do it for free. And we can’t do it at a loss. No other business would do that,” he said.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/doctors-boycotting-californias-obamacare-exchange/article/2540272

GOOD: Obama has shown how a future GOP president can gut Obamacare.

http://www.barackobama.com/news/isaac-obamacare-lifetime-limits/

Obamacare

When Isaac was one year old, a representative from an insurance company called his mom, Kim, and told her that Isaac was getting close to his lifetime limit. At just one year old, he had used a "lifetime" of care. Kim remembers putting this to the back of her mind, thinking, “There’s no way they would take away a kid’s insurance.”

But a few weeks later, Isaac’s medical supplies stopped arriving in the mail. A phone call confirmed that Isaac’s insurance company had dropped him.

Thankfully, Kim was able to get Isaac new insurance through her employer. A month later, the Affordable Care Act was signed into law. And for Kim and Isaac, the new law meant freedom.

Before Obamacare, Isaac's pre-existing conditions could have disqualified him from future coverage. Isaac and his family would have had a difficult— if not impossible—time finding insurance that would cover him. And his parents estimate that if lifetime limits were still legal today, Isaac would have already reached his a second time.

So, for Isaac and his family, the Affordable Care Act is life-changing.

Today's Cincinnati Enquirer

Ba93eaBCUAAiDI-.jpg

Obamacare exchanges have limited physician, hospital networks

As hundreds of thousands of Americans shop for health insurance plans on the new online marketplaces, they’re finding that many insurers have limited their choice of physicians and hospitals.

Locally, that’s translated into a smattering of new insurance offerings that leave out top hospitals and doctors, an Enquirer analysis of local plans on the marketplaces reveals.

http://news.cincinna...WS01/312080024/

And so goes the progressive mindset...save one at the expense of 50 million.

I thought that was anecdote at the expense of common sense...

You two morons, are a pair. Ok, bird brains, how are 50 million people being expended to save this kid?

Nobody’s This Stupid and Incompetent

What consumers can see on the Obamacare Website is bad enough. The landmines that they can't see are far worse.

http://washingtonexa...article/2540272

GOOD: Obama has shown how a future GOP president can gut Obamacare.

Ah! The good old Washington Examiner. What, Newsmax ran out of material?

You two morons, are a pair. Ok, bird brains, how are 50 million people being expended to save this kid?

It's not 50 million. It's more like 200+ million. Obamacare forces changes and imposes additional costs to virtually every health insurance policy that existed. Everyone will pay more except those that paid for coverage independently previously and now will get a subsidy. We didn't need Obamacare to fix pre-existing conditions, coverage limits or to cover "kids" until they are 26. Obamacare makes government bigger and will add to the deficit. As for the previously uninsured, it's no surprise the Democrats simply wanted to fix that that problem by giving away coverage paid for by others or in the case of our federal budget, paid for by nobody.

It's not 50 million. It's more like 200+ million. Obamacare forces changes and imposes additional costs to virtually every health insurance policy that existed. Everyone will pay more except those that paid for coverage independently previously and now will get a subsidy. We didn't need Obamacare to fix pre-existing conditions, coverage limits or to cover "kids" until they are 26. Obamacare makes government bigger and will add to the deficit. As for the previously uninsured, it's no surprise the Democrats simply wanted to fix that that problem by giving away coverage paid for by others or in the case of our federal budget, paid for by nobody.

blah blah blah you are an idiot

Does it make you feel any better that if it was up to me I'd just put a .22 between slug his eyes?

I say we give the healthy and unproductive 5 years of government support and if they can't become self sufficient at that time, we export them to Mexico.

blah blah blah you are an idiot

Thanks for the laugh.

I say we give the healthy and unproductive 5 years of government support and if they can't become self sufficient at that time, we export them to Mexico.

.22 is cheaper and easier, also much more humane. Flick it in the eye and see if you killed the brain activity. If you want to stop the throes a slug in the head will work but it will get messy.