The Affordable Care Act is Coming Home to Roost

Isn't it only 1.3% that have to pay a tiny bit more?

And overall the budget situation improves because of Obamacare! That's awesome. So repealing this law will actually cost America more

You're insane.

By the way, anyone want to take a guess at how much just this current fiasco retards economic growth next year? Went through it with my brother-in-law last night, we together figure it's worth a few tenths of a percent of GDP growth in 2014.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rich just need to pay their fair share. Forward!

I'd rather have that than see people ruined by health care costs. Affordable health care is something the government should make happen. And that Obamacare stops the evil process of allowing insurance companies to simply dump people from health insurace for...BEING SICK! is moving forward

You're insane.

By the way, anyone want to take a guess at how much just this current fiasco retards economic growth next year? Went through it with my brother-in-law last night, we together figure it's worth a few tenths of a percent of GDP growth in 2014.

You are blaming the President for the economy and calling me a retard?? Lol, Was the economic meltdown of 2008 Bush's fault?

You are an idiot

You're insane.

Any rational person with any private sector experience would look at the status of the Obamacare rollout and put a stop to it immediately before any more damage is done. Pull back, re-evaluate, and plot a new course. Even Rex Ryan knows when to put Geno Smith on the bench.

But not this president, and not his supporters. They know one thing: when you've dug yourself into a hole, keep digging in hopes that no one will notice what you've done.

I've witnessed some amazing events in my brief life, but I'm increasingly convinced we will all be sitting around one day talking about where we were the moment the Obamacare Death Spiral started, and how odd it was to see the president of the US under his desk in the fetal position, sucking his thumb.

Any rational person with any private sector experience would look at the status of the Obamacare rollout and put a stop to it immediately before any more damage is done. Pull back, re-evaluate, and plot a new course. Even Rex Ryan knows when to put Geno Smith on the bench.

But not this president, and not his supporters. They know one thing: when you've dug yourself into a hole, keep digging in hopes that no one will notice what you've done.

I've witnessed some amazing events in my brief life, but I'm increasingly convinced we will all be sitting around one day talking about where we were the moment the Obamacare Death Spiral started, and how odd it was to see the president of the US under his desk in the fetal position, sucking his thumb.

Enjoy this while you can! When its working 100%, saving people from financial run and death and evil insurance company practices, all while saving the country money, what will you cry like a pooosay about then? You stupid f'n loser

Why are you set in being an obstructionist.?

Just get on board and have faith that these little wrinkles will be iron out with future legislation... or another decree.

Oh we're not being obstructionists. We may have to scrap our whole plan because it may not be ACA compliant.

Let people in States that do not have their own exchanges temporarily buy insurance in States where is it is working, Colorado, Kentucky, Washington, etc. Maybe the HHS folks will visit one of those places and see how they are doing it, copy it, and make it work. Its a pretty simple temp solution until the Federal Government is able to make Healthcare.org work.

It's not just the White House, costs really have slowed! I thought that would make Conservatives happy?

How can you guys not be happy about slowing health care costs??

http://www.usatoday....growth/3650243/

Heck, even the GOP supported study gave Obamacare credit!

I think someone needs to explain to you how insurance works. Everyone has asked for a solution that is better and here's mine. Never, ever, ever tie health insurance to your job. You get it just like life insurance. The younger you get it the cheaper it is and that premium can never change. You get health insurance when you're young (hell your parents can sign you up when your a toddler) for a very low price because of your age and health and that low premium never changes as long as you continue to may your premium payments.

Let me ask you a question. Uh oh, there I go again. Why doesn't the government force people to have life insurance? I think it's safe to say that just as many, if not more, families are ruined due to a premature death, terminal, chronic or critical illness of one of the main bread winners. Why isn't THAT insurance mandatory?

Let people in States that do not have their own exchanges temporarily buy insurance in States where is it is working, Colorado, Kentucky, Washington, etc. Maybe the HHS folks will visit one of those places and see how they are doing it, copy it, and make it work. Its a pretty simple temp solution until the Federal Government is able to make Healthcare.org work.

Imagine if we just let people buy across state lines BEFORE passing this embarrassing law.

But no. We need to FUBAR everything and THEN use common sense.

I think someone needs to explain to you how insurance works. Everyone has asked for a solution that is better and here's mine. Never, ever, ever tie health insurance to your job. You get it just like life insurance. The younger you get it the cheaper it is and that premium can never change. You get health insurance when you're young (hell your parents can sign you up when your a toddler) for a very low price because of your age and health and that low premium never changes as long as you continue to may your premium payments.

Let me ask you a question. Uh oh, there I go again. Why doesn't the government force people to have life insurance? I think it's safe to say that just as many, if not more, families are ruined due to a premature death, terminal, chronic or critical illness of one of the main bread winners. Why isn't THAT insurance mandatory?

Probably because if you were to die, the person affected is your wife and childen, I am not affected- in theory. When someone gets cancer and get 250K worth of treatment and no way to pay, and we treat them because we are an empathetic society based in principle, theorectically every one of us pays through highest charges at the hospital, hense higher premiums from your carrier.

I guess you could argue maybe your wife ends up on food stamps or you kids get free lunches because you died and your cincome was not replaced... then I guesss you have a point.

I just want every person, rich or poor to pay their way... it really shouldn't be this hard to acheive that goal.

Imagine if we just let people buy across state lines BEFORE passing this embarrassing law.

But no. We need to FUBAR everything and THEN use common sense.

I still don't think that would have made any difference to cost or availbility, States want regulatory control over the insrurs who do business in their State. To let insurers sell insurance in New York when they are based in Cali essentially makes the Fed the arbitrator... as we have seen with Healthcare.gov's rollout, maybe its best to keep this States based.

you're mandated to buy car insurance, at least in Colorado. Ironically, no car insurance covers basic preventitive mantenance, tires, breaks, glass.. its Cat only

It's.

And that will be when exactly? I mean, it's taken three years just to get the program to 40% online and you STILL can't purchase anything.

So another...what? Eight years? Nine?

I'm sure America is cool with that. :lol:

Look at the bright side. The government will be flush with cash from all of these "non-tax" penalty taxes assessed against people whose insurance was cancelled because of Obamacare and who cannot buy Obamacare-compliant policies because the website is screwed up.

Probably because if you were to die, the person affected is your wife and childen, I am not affected- in theory. When someone gets cancer and get 250K worth of treatment and no way to pay, and we treat them because we are an empathetic society based in principle, theorectically every one of us pays through highest charges at the hospital, hense higher premiums from your carrier.

I guess you could argue maybe your wife ends up on food stamps or you kids get free lunches because you died and your cincome was not replaced... then I guesss you have a point.

I just want every person, rich or poor to pay their way... it really shouldn't be this hard to acheive that goal.

How does everyone paying their own way jive at all with Govt healthcare?

That's the exact opposite of everyone paying their own way.

Look at the bright side. The government will be flush with cash from all of these "non-tax" penalty taxes assessed against people whose insurance was cancelled because of Obamacare and who cannot buy Obamacare-compliant policies because the website is screwed up.

Still wondering about that myself. All kidding aside, there is NO way that they can actually fine people when it's impossible to buy insurance. Maybe another decree from the King?

Way to miss the point. And if you have the proper kind of life insurance and you get cancer guess what. You can use it to pay your cancer bills even if you don't die.

How does everyone paying their own way jive at all with Govt healthcare?

That's the exact opposite of everyone paying their own way.

How exactly is paying premiums and decutibles on your private health policy and using private hospital and doctors "Government Healthcare?" Are you suggesting getting a credit to buy Private Coverage is Government Run?

Even Medicare and Medicaid use private providers.

If you are talking VA, then no argument.

Way to miss the point. And if you have the proper kind of life insurance and you get cancer guess what. You can use it to pay your cancer bills even if you don't die.

What was your point? That Amercians should be able to forgo having Health Insurance, still get treated and skirt reposnibility to pay for it? Or that everyone should get Variable Life to pay for cancer if they get it?

How exactly is paying premiums and decutibles on your private health policy and using private hospital and doctors "Government Healthcare?" Are you suggesting getting a credit to buy Private Coverage is Government Run?

Even Medicare and Medicaid use private providers.

If you are talking VA, then no argument.

What was your point? That Amercians should be able to forgo having Health Insurance, still get treated and skirt reposnibility to pay for it? Or that everyone should get Variable Life to pay for cancer if they get it?

Good thing there aren't Govt subsidies.

Even the idea of insurance with our without Govt involvement is contradictory to the idea of paying your own way.

Fine, I'd love to scrap the whole employer insurance system and go with a goverment run system, but that is politically impossible.

Your question about life insurance is silly. Why are people ruined by a death in the family? Because the family is left with f'n medical bills to pay off, I mean DUH! Sorry if DUH is too immature for you, but OMG, its th--no, it's--the internet

:lol:

Now there's a great argument!

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/johncassidy/2013/11/americans-like-obamacare-where-they-can-get-it.html

OMG, you mean in states where the states are cooperating Obamacare is working!

During the first two weeks of November, almost sixty thousand people signed up for private insurance policies or for Medi-Cal, the local version of Medicaid. That’s more than twice the figure for all of October. “What we are seeing is incredible momentum,” Peter Lee, the director of Covered California, said at a press conference on Monday.

Similar things are happening in other states across the country. An article in Tuesday’s Los Angeles Times cites Connecticut, Kentucky, Minnesota, and Washington as on track to exceed their enrollment targets. Here in New York, too, there are positive signs. Last week, officials reported that close to fifty thousand people had signed up for health insurance through the state’s new Web site, NY State of Health, with about half of them taking out private plans and half enrolling in Medicaid. “I would say we are seeing great interest in New York, and we are very pleased with our enrollment numbers,” Danielle Holahan, the deputy director for NY State of Health, said.

Great article!

Insurers restricting choice of doctors and hospitals to keep costs down

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/insurers-restricting-choice-of-doctors-and-hospitals-to-keep-costs-down/2013/11/20/98c84e20-4bb4-11e3-ac54-aa84301ced81_story.html

FORMER DEMOCRATIC REP. HAROLD FORD: The Obama Administration Should Consider Shutting ObamaCare Down.

TRAIN WRECK UPDATE: Obamacare Bailout Sought as Effort Planned to Bypass Site.

It’s bailouts all the way down.

Also, the bypass is illegal.

“I was with a big investor yesterday who said, you know, the next big challenge he believes for this, is that he believes there’s not enough doctors in the system,” Ford said, “so you get to 30 million people signed up. We don’t have enough physicians to accommodate the flood of people who want to have health insurance."

Man...if only someone could have predicted this.

Oh, wait...

No, it's with you not really meaning what you're saying.

Yes, I mean't what I said. You buy into a risk pool that covers losses. that is not a new or difficult concept to grasp. You aren't getting a free ride...

If you mean people cash for every services and have no insurance, I am fine with that too. I just want to make sure they can be turned away of they run out of money. If they die, meh, that's what you get for being stupid and for poor planning. But sure as hell I am not paying for people like them.

Oh, wait...

So the better direction would just have been to say tough luck to those 30 million people? The Doctor shortage, which I think is bunk and about utilization not staffing, was an issue goign forward regalrdless of the ACA.

It seems like to private healthcare marketplace had this issue long before HCR.. and he always cite Single Payor systems as the one with that problem...

So the better direction would just have been to say tough luck to those 30 million people? The Doctor shortage, which I think is bunk and about utilization not staffing, was an issue goign forward regalrdless of the ACA.

Sorry B, I guess I'll jump in here.

It's a false argument (that we've had before) That this was "all or nothing" situation, and that there were no conservative ideas for lowering costs or increasing access.

The dems got the (first step) plan that they wanted.

JAMES TARANTO: They’re Desperate Now: ObamaCare supporters crank up the racial rhetoric.

Sometimes it’s obvious when somebody states the obvious, and we’ve seen a lot of examples of late as America’s left-liberals have struggled to come to grips with the disaster of ObamaCare.

Example: “The mismanagement of the website HealthCare.gov and the cancellation of millions of policies pushes an underlying question out into the open:
Is the federal government capable of managing the provision of a fundamental service through an extraordinarily complex system?” Arguably the answer is no less obvious than the question.

WHY WOMEN ARE abandoning Obama.

“Why are women finally beginning to reject Mr. Obama? Because he betrayed their trust. It’s personal. With the truth of Obamacare on the table for all to see, including the higher premiums, the canceled policies, the excluded doctors and hospitals, the original targeted marketing of Obamacare to women has now been exposed as the cynical and manipulative fraud it really was.”

Edited by B-Man

Interesting! Looks like insurance companies are simply telling people they have to go to cheaper hospitals to keep costs down. Well, we will have to change that and simply spend more money

Oh, wait...

They made the same argument in Great Britain after WW2, never panned out. It's just an argument, doesn't make it a fact

Fine, I'd love to scrap the whole employer insurance system and go with a goverment run system, but that is politically impossible.

Your question about life insurance is silly. Why are people ruined by a death in the family? Because the family is left with f'n medical bills to pay off, I mean DUH! Sorry if DUH is too immature for you, but OMG, its th--no, it's--the internet

Now there's a great argument!

from someone who picks and chooses their arguments that is funny. You back out or hide when someone brings up something too tough for you yet mock someone for simply mocking you. That's ironic.

Sorry B, I guess I'll jump in here.

It's a false argument (that we've had before) That this was "all or nothing" situation, and that there were no conservative ideas for lowering costs or increasing access.

The dems got the (first step) plan that they wanted.

JAMES TARANTO: They’re Desperate Now: ObamaCare supporters crank up the racial rhetoric.

Sometimes it’s obvious when somebody states the obvious, and we’ve seen a lot of examples of late as America’s left-liberals have struggled to come to grips with the disaster of ObamaCare.

Example: “The mismanagement of the website HealthCare.gov and the cancellation of millions of policies pushes an underlying question out into the open:
Is the federal government capable of managing the provision of a fundamental service through an extraordinarily complex system?” Arguably the answer is no less obvious than the question.

WHY WOMEN ARE abandoning Obama.

“Why are women finally beginning to reject Mr. Obama? Because he betrayed their trust. It’s personal. With the truth of Obamacare on the table for all to see, including the higher premiums, the canceled policies, the excluded doctors and hospitals, the original targeted marketing of Obamacare to women has now been exposed as the cynical and manipulative fraud it really was.”

B- the ACA is the Hertitage Foundation's framework, a conservative think tank, so we can agree the basis of HCR was founded in conservative ideals. Also, let's remeber at the healthcare summit, John Boehner, one of the most repsected R in leadership, came to that meeting with a blank piece of paper, literally and kept saying "Start Over"... The only plan I have seen come out in full, written form was from the American Enterprise Institute 3 years after HCR passed... I posted it here, it have very similar reforms, I to be honest I would have been fine with that plan as well.

And lets be accurate, the Website Healthcare.org is !@#$ed up and embrassing, but the reforms made to the Healthcare systems overall are going to help alot of people. The website, !@#$ed up.. the reforms, good.

Edited by B-Large

Its because at this point, all reforms are splitting hairs from one another if we believe that private insurance compaines are to play a key role in our system. Whether it be buying insurance from Ohio when you live in Florida, capping Med LP claims, individuals mandates, laws against recission.. they are all the same or prety darn close.

My propsed plan (I can't remeber if I posted this here, its been a while):

1. Every Amercians has a deductible they must meet for themselves and family. If you make 10K a year, its $100. If you make a million a year, maybe its 50K. But EVERYBODY has to write a check for their care, so they can see what the cost is, and providers will begin being transparent about their real costs, and complete for patients.

2. State or National Cat Pool- yes another tax, but a risk pool covering people once they make their deductible. At this point, what does a Private Insurance company really do anyway? Why can't a group of people who are experts in healthcare write up screening guidelines based on Evidence Based research? Treatment regimes based on EBR? If people want to pay for a test that is no considered standard of care, they can write a check.

Its really simple, drug makers, hospitals and provider remain private, everybody is covered and everybody is paying a fair share... seems resoanble to me.

This is what everyone paying their own way looks like to you?

I think you mean paying their fair share.

Forcing people off the plans they currently have on to plans they can't afford is good?

What good is a plan that doesn't have your back when you need it? that sounds like a scam, not a benefit contract

And way to focus on he minutea of people who have non-compliant plans, and ignore all the other reforms that will benfit 300+ Americans... but, please continue to nickpick and find items that fit your agenda.

What good is a plan that doesn't have your back when you need it? that sounds like a scam, not a benefit contract

And way to focus on he minutea of people who have non-compliant plans, and ignore all the other reforms that will benfit 300+ Americans... but, please continue to nickpick and find items that fit your agenda.

Because single men need maternity coverage?

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/115479/obamacare-rate-shock-men-why-they-should-cover-maternity-services

WOW."The minutea" 4.2 million people have had their plans cancelled.

You are heartless

Edited by Gary M

I'd rather have that than see people ruined by health care costs. Affordable health care is something the government should make happen. And that Obamacare stops the evil process of allowing insurance companies to simply dump people from health insurace for...BEING SICK! is moving forward

You are blaming the President for the economy and calling me a retard?? Lol, Was the economic meltdown of 2008 Bush's fault?

You are an idiot

Why yes, yes I am. When he decided to unilaterally and illegally change the definition of "legal" insurance polices and create the expectation that insurers would resurrect dead policies, he created an impossible fiscal situation for insurers, government, and several million Americans (at least), the damage from which will take a significant amount of time and money to undo (at the very least, a minimum of a million people lost access to health care). More realistically, between the lost coverage, reduced providers, increased costs, and the sheer cost of fixing the administrative and regulatory mess this law has created at the federal and state level, a $30B-$40B hit to economic growth resulting from this train wreck is a pretty reasonable estimate.