The Affordable Care Act is Coming Home to Roost

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obamacare Is the Vasa of Our Times

by Wesley J. Smith

I have been trying to think of a good metaphor for the Obamacare debacle. I think I found it in the Vasa.

Vasa was a Swedish warship launched in 1628 — only to sink after sailing less than a mile. It is so apt! Here’s the Wikipedia recounting:

Vasa was built top-heavy and had insufficient ballast. Despite an obvious lack of stability in port, she was allowed to set sail and foundered only a few minutes after she first encountered a wind stronger than a breeze.

The impulsive move to set sail was the result of a combination of factors: Swedish king Gustavus Adolphus, who was leading the army on the continent on the date of her maiden voyage, was impatient to see her join the Baltic fleet in the Thirty Years’ War; at the same time, the king’s subordinates lacked the political courage to discuss the ship’s structural problems frankly or to have the maiden voyage postponed. An inquiry was organized by the Swedish privy council to find personal responsibility for the disaster, but in the end no one was punished for the fiasco.

Perfect! We have seen the same exact arrogance, stupidity, and lack of accountability in Obamacare — the public-policy Vasa of our times.

Edited by B-Man

Given Barry's 39% approval rating, I think people are starting to catch on.

I'm siding with Tom. People are WAY to stupid for thier own good. This mornings main webpage on USATODAY was to the effect of, "After Obamacare FIX, consumers still skeptical".

Fix? Nothing has been fixed, but this is being reported anyways. I think it's time to admit the Dems have every intention of making it past mid-terms intact, and I believe they will...

I'm siding with Tom. People are WAY to stupid for thier own good. This mornings main webpage on USATODAY was to the effect of, "After Obamacare FIX, consumers still skeptical".

Fix? Nothing has been fixed, but this is being reported anyways. I think it's time to admit the Dems have every intention of making it past mid-terms intact, and I believe they will...

The media is reporting it as a "fix" but people aren't buying it. But yes I can't argue with the collective stupidity of the general public.

I used to think you were just a really need effective troll. Now I just think you're really that stupid that you do not have a lick of sense.

Wrong, you do not think. You are an idiot. You just don't understand things so you lash out like the ignorant fool you are.

I can't wait for the Democrats to start blaming the "Republican shutdown" of the government as the reason why the website failed.

They did blame the GOP governors for not having state websites, thus "forcing" people to use healthcare.gov, resulting in the major crash.

Obama was blameless. Damned racist anti-women gun toting bible thumping teabaggers!

It could get a lot worse for Obamacare!

http://www.politico....9957.html?hp=t1

One wonders how a President Christie would fix all this??

What is your point? You're posting an article pointing out serious problems with the ACA, a law that you have firmly supported. Are you now against it or hoping that a republican president could correct those problems?

It's funny that for just 3.75% of the population, Barry and his merry band of idiots had to destroy the American health care system. Yet 5% of people being thrown off their plans isn't anything to be concerned over. :rolleyes:

It's funny that for just 3.75% of the population, Barry and his merry band of idiots had to destroy the American health care system. Yet 5% of people being thrown off their plans isn't anything to be concerned over. :rolleyes:

I actually heard Alan Colmes arguing that Obamacare is good if for no other reason than because 100,000 people who never had health care are now on Medicare.

What a super way to court those young healthy citizens who will be the "backbone" (no pun intended) of ObamaCare!

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/11/18/students-suffer-sticker-shock-from-obamacare/

Alan Colmes could make this debacle shine like a baby's bottom...pardon the butt reference in the same sentence w/ Alan the Republican Slayer.

What a super way to court those young healthy citizens who will be the "backbone" (no pun intended) of ObamaCare!

http://www.foxnews.c...from-obamacare/

Alan Colmes could make this debacle shine like a baby's bottom...pardon the butt reference in the same sentence w/ Alan the Republican Slayer.

Students = Mommy and Daddy's money or borrowed money.

Money = They can afford to pay more.

They can afford to pay more = Someone else gets to pay less

Someone else gets to pay less = Votes

Votes = Power

Power = Money

Money = Fame

Fame = Ego stroke

Ego stroke = Self esteem

Self esteem = Feel good

Feel good = End justifies means

End justifies means = A good idea using other people's money

I hate when people display common sense here and just make me ya mad enough to kick them. Yet others spew retarded bull **** and it gets nothing. The facts are upsetting when it comes to Obamacare... its a mess that's going to only get worse...before/if it gets better.

http://www.foxnews.c...from-obamacare/

Doesn't matter, they're covered by their parents' insurance.

And by "doesn't matter," it matters to their parents, of course.

I really can't stand Alan but did he really say that?

Yes. It was one of those last-second "the music is playing, they're ending the segment and cutting to commercial, so I better blurt out something fast" things. He, like Juan Williams, also is great at repeatedly telling everyone how Obama's lie "only affects" 5% of the people with insurance...and that's just a very small number. I mean, yes, that IS over 18 million people, but 5% sounds small.

THE HILL: Keep government out of healthcare, poll finds.

“A majority of voters say the federal government shouldn’t be involved in the business of healthcare, according to a Gallup survey released on Monday. The poll found that 56 percent say making sure people have health insurance shouldn’t be a government responsibility, against 42 who say that it should be. Prior to 2008, federal involvement in healthcare enjoyed strong support, but the bitter Congressional fight to pass the Affordable Care Act, and the ensuing botched rollout, seems to have soured the public on the notion.”

RICHARD EPSTEIN: ObamaCare’s Death Spiral.

LIKE PEELING AN ONION OF FAIL: Woman Held Out By Obama As ObamaCare Success Story Can’t Afford ObamaCare Policy.

Coming next, to a White House podium near you: President Obama writes a new law requiring that Washington State abide by their initial, incorrect estimates.

Furthermore:

Four days after President Obama made his address, the state health exchange publicly revealed a grevious error – its tax-credit calculations were all wrong. The state had been submitting monthly income information to the federal data hub, but the federal computers were expecting an annual figure. Suppose a person claimed an income of $50,000 a year — the tax credit was based on an income of $4,166 a year. The higher the income, the bigger the error. Brokers say they caught the mistake right off the bat and tried flagging it to the state’s attention, but for some reason it took the state three weeks to acknowledge it. So everyone who purchased a subsidized health insurance policy through the Washington state exchange prior to Oct. 23 was quoted too low a rate. The mistake involved 4,600 policies covering 8,000 people – Sanford’s policy was one of them.

Quoted to illustrate a point usually lost in the reporting: it's not just a web site. It's an enterprise system requiring B2B, G2B, and G2G integration between the federal government (IRS, HHS), state governments (taxation departments, insurance regulators) and insurance companies.

Now, given that they !@#$ed up the web site itself, and given that the feds have !@#$ed up something as simple and basic clearly communicating requirements for transmitting annual vs. monthly salary...does anyone want to lay bets on the back-end enterprise integration components working anytime soon?

...does anyone want to lay bets on the back-end enterprise integration components working anytime soon?

Not after reading this.

The system is unable to process payments, and I'm reading on Twitter that Henry Chao, the IT manager, says another 40% of the website still needs to be built.

But yes...everything will be better once the website is up and running next week.

Correction: approximately 70% of website still needs to be built, according to its IT manager, Chao.

“The back office systems, the accounting systems, the payment systems, they still need to be [built],” Deputy Chief Information Officer of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Henry Chao said.

I learned a new acronym today, and it was custom made for the president and his legacy achievement: SCOAMF.

Wait till next September when large corporations begin notifying their employees that their company is dropping healthcare coverage from the suite of employee benefits. If they're lucky their company will give them a thousand or two and tell them to hit the exchanges. The **** will really hit the fan then and I hope there's not a single Democrat that voted for this abomination that gets reelected in November.

It's an enterprise system requiring B2B, G2B, and G2G integration between the federal government (IRS, HHS), state governments (taxation departments, insurance regulators) and insurance companies.

I did a GvG to find out how much B2B, G2B, and G2G are involved and there is a lot. There is also HTML, SMTP, TSM, HADR, CIDR, DHCP, VPN, SNMP, man problems, and a few bad G-Bicks or something according to you know who. He laughed a little and said they have some problems related to cots and pots. I think I heard that right; he was talking in the voice of James Carville, which can be tricky. Anyway I think that means a bunch of losers are smoking dope and sleeping on the job.

Then the big guy laughed really hard and said the government even has some SNA problems on its end and I asked him what was that and what made it so funny. He got pissed and hung up. Whatever dude.

Anyway he is usually right about stuff but sometimes he puts in extra stuff like "man problems" which is obviously related to one of the chick programmers, not the project itself.

Not after reading this.

The system is unable to process payments, and I'm reading on Twitter that Henry Chao, the IT manager, says another 40% of the website still needs to be built.

But yes...everything will be better once the website is up and running next week.

Published not ten minutes after my post. It's like someone's stealing my observations. :lol:

Really, though...the website's the important part to the administration and Democratic party. That's what the electorate sees, so that's all they need for mid-term votes. A "Potemkin Website," of sorts. And when the accounting and payment systems fail, they can blame the insurance industry.

Your position is based on people thinking rationally for five minutes, and believing they're responsible for their own finances.

My position is based on people being unable to do even that much, and on the Democrats successfully selling those people on "We need Democrats to fix the Republican obstructionism of the Democrats' programs."

Let me reduce that philosophical difference to a very simple, real-world microcosm: when Obama blames the insurance industry for not reinstating cancelled policies by the end of the year, and the media backs him, do you honestly think more people will fault Obama than the insurance companies?

You are assuming that the public will listen to Obama/media psychophants this time.

What has changed? The poll data. Yeah, I know...poll data. :lol: But think for a second: data that's been longitudinally set in one direction = "yeah but we still like the guy", for the first time, isn't. Again, I get your argument. But, doesn't this new poll data modulate that argument?

Consider: the media runs marketing studies all the time, just like everybody else, the NFL, ESPN, the political parties, etc. Why has the term "the brand" invaded every conversation, for reasons passing understanding? Too much belief in marketing guys. Not enough in business process and quality control.

When the media's marketing #s come back and look like the "we don't like him anymore" poll data....do you really think they're gonna ignore them? Do you really think their going to look at how they write stories, or how things become stories(business process), or ask themselves about the quality of their reporting now vs. then(quality control)?

Nope. They are just gonna say "we have to protect the brand" :lol:...and that means the daggers come out for Obama.

I actually heard Alan Colmes arguing that Obamacare is good if for no other reason than because 100,000 people who never had health care are now on Medicare.

Yes, Alan, so why the F didn't we just add 100k people to Medicare, and save ourselves this entire fiasco?

You're telling me we bought a entire broken car, that isn't actually designed to be a working car, and therefore will never truly operate as a car, just so we can use the cigarette lighter?

ObamaCare the target of scam artists. http://www.foxbusine...ntcmp=obnetwork

And all this time I thought that ObamaCare was the offspring of scam artists....

:lol:

Look people, I've done the work on this, and, this is what I do anyway.

This is an Enterprise Web Application, not a website.

You can't get one tier of the architecture working, hook it to the Google search engine( :blink: and :lol:), and call that a working Enterprise Web Application.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

You are assuming that the public will listen to Obama/media psychophants this time.

What has changed? The poll data. Yeah, I know...poll data. :lol: But think for a second: data that's been longitudinally set in one direction = "yeah but we still like the guy", for the first time, isn't. Again, I get your argument. But, doesn't this new poll data modulate that argument?

Consider: the media runs marketing studies all the time, just like everybody else, the NFL, ESPN, the political parties, etc. Why has the term "the brand" invaded every conversation, for reasons passing understanding? Too much belief in marketing guys. Not enough in business process and quality control.

When the media's marketing #s come back and look like the "we don't like him anymore" poll data....do you really think they're gonna ignore them? Do you really think their going to look at how they write stories, or how things become stories(business process), or ask themselves about the quality of their reporting now vs. then(quality control)?

Nope. They are just gonna say "we have to protect the brand" :lol:...and that means the daggers come out for Obama.

No, I'm deducing that they will, based on historical pattern. You're assuming they won't, based on historical thinking.

You also seem to be thinking I'm saying they'll defend/support Obama. That's not what I'm saying. You'd know that if you weren't a completely self-centered narcissist who pays attention to no one but himself.

No, I'm deducing that they will, based on historical pattern. You're assuming they won't, based on historical thinking.

You also seem to be thinking I'm saying they'll defend/support Obama. That's not what I'm saying. You'd know that if you weren't a completely self-centered narcissist who pays attention to no one but himself.

What? What does my...whatever...have to do with you saying the media will back him, and now you saying they won't support/defend him?

Go back and read your own post above, the first one I quoted: where you specifically say "and the media backs him". :blink: WTF?

Yeah, tell me my problems again :lol: Don't take any time to focus on your own, like comprehending what you write.

I am doing the deducing here, not you. You have that exactly backwards.

When the value of a variable that has always been the same, and we have seen it to be causal to the outcome, suddenly changes? We aren't assuming the outcome will be different: we are deducing it. Otherwise, the entire thing must be scrapped. Your assumption is that the variable has no causal propeties or that they will be mitigated...by something.

The "Obama likability" variable has been causal to his support, even through the IRS thing. Now, the value of that variable has changed. He isn't "liked". Not anymore. What should we deduce(or assume because, it won't make any difference)?

I am saying that Obamacare sticks, because it effects everyone, in all classes, in all races. What could be more personal than your health care? What could be more personal than your wallet? You seem to think that the Wednesday's will somehow be able to overcome the "average Joes".

What evidence is there that Wednesday's "gimme" has ever trumped Average Joe's "derp"? Reagan won how many states against Mondale?

New Revelations Transform Obamacare from Fiasco into Scandal

by Noah Rothman

Negligence? Absolutely. Incompetence? The case can be made. But scandalous? To suggest that the White House has willfully engaged in the intentional misleading of the public and an outrageous dereliction of its responsibilities to enforce the laws passed by Congress has been a bridge too far. Until recently. New revelations are now forcing even the most reluctant of President Barack Obama’s critics to concede that the Affordable Care Act’s implementation has evolved into a scandal.

“I was not informed directly that the website would not be working, as the way it was supposed to,” Obama told reporters on November 14. “Had I been informed I wouldn’t be going out saying, ‘boy, this is going to be great.’”

“You know, I’m accused of a lot of things but I don’t think I’m stupid enough to go around saying this is going to be like shopping on Amazon or Travelocity a week before the website opens if I thought that it wasn’t going to work,” the president continued.

While the president may have been telling the truth – that he was not “informed directly” that the ACA exchanges web portal would not function on its October 1 launch date – recently uncovered details of the ACA website’s design and construction phase indicate that members of his cabinet were.

A report which surfaced in the Washington Post as a result of the work done by congressional investigators shows officials with the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services and Department of Health and Human Services, including Sec. Kathleen Sebelius, were informed of the scale of the problems plaguing the website’s construction as early as April.

The president’s credibility has already been gravely, possibly irreparably, damaged by the unraveling of his oft-repeated promise that anyone with health insurance would be able to keep those plans if they liked them. It has already been shown that the president was informed as early as February of 2010 that the law would, indeed, force people off their current plans. But a report which surfaced on Monday night indicated that the president’s own Justice Department authored a brief in October showed that most of the country’s insured will have to seek new plans.

http://www.mediaite....o-into-scandal/