Spiller's contract

djp14150

i have seen on a few threads people do not understand Spillers contract.

Spiller's contract does run through 2015....but the last year is an option year Spiller can opt out of.....which he will very very likely do.

Effectively the end time of his contract is after the 2014 season.

Some agents negotiate option out clauses but I would think that would be silly with the amount of guaranteed and bonus money he got.

8/6/2010: Signed a six-year, $39.3 million contract.

The deal contains $20.8 million guaranteed.

Another $12.5 million is available through incentives, roughly $12 million of which are available in the final yearr.

Spiller is eligible for an annual $250,000 workout bonus throughout the contract's life.

2013: $2,623,334,

2014: $1,748,750,

2015: $2,196,663,

2016: Free Agent

Some agents negotiate option out clauses but I would think that would be silly with the amount of guaranteed and bonus money he got.

8/6/2010: Signed a six-year, $39.3 million contract.

The deal contains $20.8 million guaranteed.

Another $12.5 million is available through incentives, roughly $12 million of which are available in the final yearr.

Spiller is eligible for an annual $250,000 workout bonus throughout the contract's life.

2013: $2,623,334,

2014: $1,748,750,

2015: $2,196,663,

2016: Free Agent

He needs to show he can stay healthy with the increased work load he is gonna get this year....and the BILLS need to be smart and not use him in short yardage/goaline

There is no reason to even think about extending him until after the season

Every contract is different

I know, but I thought with rookie contracts the 5th year opt out for first rounders was on the side of the club...I thought that was the standard structure.

Well for all the interest in re-signing Byrd, we not only have to think about CJ's future with the Bills but we also have a big decision on Dareus to make at the end of the season. His contract has a club option for the 5th year, but it has to be exercised at the end of the 3rd year(this season), and he would get transition money in the 5th year, which right now would be 6.9 million. Plus Carrington will be up in 2014 too. Not sure from an analytics standpoint I would be willing to give 7 million to Dareus in 2015, who has never sniffed a pro-bowl.

Plus correct me if Im wrong but dont we have a bigger Fitz dead money in 2014 than this year. Why the geniuses in the Bills front office wouldnt of taken the bigger hit this year, with us well under the cap, is moronic.

But in the end, if the Bills are half mill a year or a million a year apart with Byrd, its not to hard to find that money(say 5 million more tops and probably less) if you want. You cut Brad Smith and Freddie next off -season, replace them with 2 rookies and you retain Byrd. Reading the post on Byrd, i can see his frustration. He's seen guys like Fitz, Mark Anderson, Merriman, Kelsay make nice money, journeymen and injury prone past their prime types. Meanwhile he's on the one Bill who has made a real probowl. We dont have big money in QBs like really good teams, there has to be money for Byrd.

Edited by billsfan714

i have seen on a few threads people do not understand Spillers contract.

Spiller's contract does run through 2015....but the last year is an option year Spiller can opt out of.....which he will very very likely do.

Effectively the end time of his contract is after the 2014 season.

link ? EDIT: looking for proof of this so called "option" year

both these links say he will be a UFA in 2016

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/c.j.-spiller/

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5566/cj-spiller

Edited by papazoid

Well for all the interest in re-signing Byrd, we not only have to think about CJ's future with the Bills but we also have a big decision on Dareus to make at the end of the season. His contract has a club option for the 5th year, but it has to be exercised at the end of the 3rd year(this season), and he would get transition money in the 5th year, which right now would be 6.9 million. Plus Carrington will be up in 2014 too. Not sure from an analytics standpoint I would be willing to give 7 million to Dareus in 2015, who has never sniffed a pro-bowl.

Plus correct me if Im wrong but dont we have a bigger Fitz dead money in 2014 than this year. Why the geniuses in the Bills front office wouldnt of taken the bigger hit this year, with us well under the cap, is moronic.

But in the end, if the Bills are half mill a year or a million a year apart with Byrd, its not to hard to find that money(say 5 million more tops and probably less) if you want. You cut Brad Smith and Freddie next off -season, replace them with 2 rookies and you retain Byrd. Reading the post on Byrd, i can see his frustration. He's seen guys like Fitz, Mark Anderson, Merriman, Kelsay make nice money, journeymen and injury prone past their prime types. Meanwhile he's on the one Bill who has made a real probowl. We dont have big money in QBs like really good teams, there has to be money for Byrd.

I've been making the same point on the cap management with Brandon & company --- Bills FO needs to plan ahead and pull as much money into this year as they can with contract restructuring --- for example, take Kyle Williams, he has salaries in 2013, 2014 and 2015 of approx. $4M/each --- and 2016 of $7M (which he'll never see) -- restructure his and make 2013: $8M, 2014: $2M and 2015: $2M -- you add $4M against 2013 and save $2M each on 2014 and 2015 --- do this with 3 more players and you add $16M against cap into 2013 and lower cap in 2014 by $8M and cap in 2015 by $8M to go sign FA's and extend others --- do same with Fitz dead money --- right now $3M in 2013 and $7M in 2014 --- move it all to 2013 --- do that and (versus current cap) --- you spend $23M more in 2013 and lower cap by $15M and the 2015 cap by $8M ---- or some version like that ---- Bills FO needs to be as aggressive with cap management as their OC and DC want to be on the field

Dareus' contract is interesting. Will be curious to see how they handle it. I kinda expect that they don't exercise the option.

Dareus' contract is interesting. Will be curious to see how they handle it. I kinda expect that they don't exercise the option.

This year is going to tell all. Dareus has no excuses. Healthy, playing for a proven DC with two other pro bowlers on his line in Kyle and Mario. His play this year will determine the future of his contract option.

He's looked good in pre season. Hard not to root for big 99, he's such a beast when he's on his game.

I've been making the same point on the cap management with Brandon & company --- Bills FO needs to plan ahead and pull as much money into this year as they can with contract restructuring --- for example, take Kyle Williams, he has salaries in 2013, 2014 and 2015 of approx. $4M/each --- and 2016 of $7M (which he'll never see) -- restructure his and make 2013: $8M, 2014: $2M and 2015: $2M -- you add $4M against 2013 and save $2M each on 2014 and 2015 ---

I am not saying Kyle is not good this year, but do you really believe Kyle will be around in 2015? He will not be worth $4 million if he still is, he will be 33 or 34 years old. Restructuring makes sense only high paid younger players with their their upside years still ahead of them, not on players on their declining downside years. Use the money wisely on younger players still heading toward their peak years, not heading down the other side of the mountain.

Edited by simpleman