Mad Scramble to Fill a Roster

jumbalaya

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread makes me think that One Bills Drive over the last few days has looked like the closing credits of the Benny Hill Show, with "Yakety Sax"

blaring throughout the building. You can imagine the scene- Whaley, probably dressed as a woman, being chased by the coaching staff throughout the offices with Marrone beating Brandon over the head with an umbrella- something along those lines.

Edited by RussellDopeland

Thanks for that input, really insightful. And how many starting positions is this mad scramble filling?

Meanwhile, teams other than the Bills also shuffle people on and off their rosters in the days before the first game. Why, the Boston Globe itself is reporting:

Could it be that, in fact, most teams actually do the same thing with the final few spots on their rosters just before the season starts?

The Pats article makes for a nice rebuttal though the sarcasm was unkind and unnecessary.

Five days before the first game we are uncertain of our starting QB and only have two rookies on the squad. Two other QBs were grabbed to start and finish the last preseason game. We couldn't play an UDFA QB in the 4th preseason game because we had to protect him from injury! If EJ has a set back this week we will be the first team to start a UDFA ever and we will have to pull Lewis from the practice squad with all of one full game experience.

Our back-up guard goes down and he is the only back-up guard on the team. We tried to scramble to find a replacement for him but...our rookie K goes down with a groin before we can pick one up.

So we sign a replacement K less a week before the first game and carry two Ks into the first game.

Our top CB goes down so we bring in a slug to back fill as we don't have enough to cover the team in case one of remaining 4 goes down with injury. Without a doubt he will be pressed into playing time in the first game.

Our pro bowl safety finally comes into town and immediately leaves because his foot hurts, or so he says. So we scramble to find another safety. At least, Leohnard knows where the stadium is.

No other team is in such a mess. Not even Oakland.

We have more than our share of problems but...

As for the QB... If EJ both starts and finished the game, it's a non-issue. This is the guy Marrone wants to be in there. If Tuel starts and finishes the game, oh well. That's life. Sometimes your #2 has to play.

As for the replacement K... really? This is bugging you? Kickers get hurt occassionally and teams find replacements on the street. It's not like the replacement has to learn a new scheme.

As for CB... Yeah it sucks that Gilmore is hurt. But at least he's not out for the whole season. And the guy we signed is someone who's weak at the Tampa 2 but good (so they say) at the press coverage Pettine likes to use.

As for safety... It also sucks that Byrd is hurt. At least Leonard knows Pettine's defense. Byrd will learn while sitting out.

Injuries are part of the game. It's a bit of a downer but there are many positive thing to get excited about: new HC, new OC, new DC, maybe we've finally found a franchise QB, we may have drafted some good guys, we may have signed some productive FAs, etc. There's some unhappy data out there but a lot of good data points too. I don't think it adds up to a "mess." I hope it adds up to a team that is rebuilding and in that process will have to overcome some adversity.

HERETIC!

Everyone KNOWS that all the other teams in The League have had their final roster set now for WEEKS. It's only The Bills who have had injuries and are stuck making roster adjustments because their coaches are stoopid, the FO is inept and the owner is cheap!

I am glad you made sure to include that...otherwise, this board will erupt and turn this into a Ralph is cheap thread again!

What I got from the OP on this thread is that we expected to have 53 players a week before the season and we had five injuries that made us make at least five different decisions to fill the 53 man roster a week before the season, none of which will affect a starter, outside of perhaps Jairus Byrd, which we addressed.

If anything, keeping 50 instead of 53 allowed us to address the 100% unforeseen injury to Hopkins and the fluid issue of Byrd's status.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

As for the QB... If EJ both starts and finished the game, it's a non-issue. This is the guy Marrone wants to be in there. If Tuel starts and finishes the game, oh well. That's life. Sometimes your #2 has to play.

As for the replacement K... really? This is bugging you? Kickers get hurt occassionally and teams find replacements on the street. It's not like the replacement has to learn a new scheme.

As for CB... Yeah it sucks that Gilmore is hurt. But at least he's not out for the whole season. And the guy we signed is someone who's weak at the Tampa 2 but good (so they say) at the press coverage Pettine likes to use.

As for safety... It also sucks that Byrd is hurt. At least Leonard knows Pettine's defense. Byrd will learn while sitting out.

Injuries are part of the game. It's a bit of a downer but there are many positive thing to get excited about: new HC, new OC, new DC, maybe we've finally found a franchise QB, we may have drafted some good guys, we may have signed some productive FAs, etc. There's some unhappy data out there but a lot of good data points too. I don't think it adds up to a "mess." I hope it adds up to a team that is rebuilding and in that process will have to overcome some adversity.

Ok, enough with rational thought and optimism. Let's get back to hysteria, please.

What I got from the OP on this thread is that we expected to have 53 players a week before the season and we had five injuries that made us make at least five different decisions to fill the 53 man roster a week before the season, none of which will affect a starter, outside of perhaps Jairus Byrd, which we addressed.

If anything, keeping 50 instead of 53 allowed us to address the 100% unforeseen injury to Hopkins and the fluid issue of Byrd's status.

Sure but it clearly did so at the expense of Sundays game planning, didnt it?!? I bet Hackett was even in on the kicker search. Probably isnt ready to call plays now. Look for a lot of "malfunctioning headsets" when the guy forgets what he's supposed to be doing.

Atleast we kept buddy nix on board for such stressful times.

I have never seen a team in such a mad scramble just to fill their opening day a roster as this year's Bills team. Seems there is more of a focus on who they can find to wear a uniform than on the Patriots. I am not optimistic that this team is prepared for Sunday.

I've been thinking about this, because I have a similar impression. The question is, is it a good thing or a bad thing?

There's always a scramble to cut bubble players and sign different ones at the end of August. Green Bay just dumped all their backup QB and signed Seneca Wallace, for example.

Are the Bills really doing something different?

Well, first off, due to the quantity of injuries, they rather must take action at QB. So they did. But our new starter is still there, as is one of the backup signed this Spring. So that's actually pretty typical.

I think to me the big difference was cutting DB so deeply that we had roster room, even with Byrd questionable and Gilmore injured.

Marrone said publically after the 4th preseason game, that some guys couldn't do what they were asked to do, and in his view every game counts.

So out came the broom and they were all gone. No "we'll keep the best of a bad lot", just "you didn't get it done, good bye and we'll find someone who is at least untested".

So yes, I agree with the OP that this year's scramble is a bit more mad-deeper cuts at positions where injuries had created holes. And overall, I think it's a good thing.

Are the Bills really doing something different?

What they did different, IMO, is they cut down to 50 then reloaded. Most teams keep their 53 then release guys 51-53 to sign new guys. I don't know which is better, but the common practice might be a bit more 'safe.'

What they did different, IMO, is they cut down to 50 then reloaded. Most teams keep their 53 then release guys 51-53 to sign new guys. I don't know which is better, but the common practice might be a bit more 'safe.'

Hi Beerball, that was kind of the point I was trying to make. I think (just my thinking) that Marrone was sending a message "give all you got or get out of the building". He wasn't going to keep guys he assessed as inadequate, no matter what. Cut 'em and even if you don't find better, you'll at least find guys who are unproven either way instead of proven poor.

Hi Beerball, that was kind of the point I was trying to make. I think (just my thinking) that Marrone was sending a message "give all you got or get out of the building". He wasn't going to keep guys he assessed as inadequate, no matter what. Cut 'em and even if you don't find better, you'll at least find guys who are unproven either way instead of proven poor.

Or making the manuevers that way gave those players a couple extra days to find work elsewhere.

You think Byrd is paying attention? He is only paying attention to the next flight out of town. He does not want to be there Sunday or any Sunday.

You think Byrd is paying attention? He is only paying attention to the next flight out of town. He does not want to be there Sunday or any Sunday.

Believe it or not, other teams (you know, the ones that Byrd is looking to get his big contract from) care about how he conducts himself. Sitting there ignoring the game would be a very poor strategy for cementing his reputation around the league.

OMG! I just got the text alert that they signed Carpenter as a kicker! Oh Sweet Jesus... a carpenter? Seriously? We're in worse shape than anyone could imagine.

I'd feel much better about the defensive backfield if Reggie Corner was still on the team. At least we have a Nickell playing "nickel". :)