Mad Scramble to Fill a Roster

jumbalaya

I have never seen a team in such a mad scramble just to fill their opening day a roster as this year's Bills team. Seems there is more of a focus on who they can find to wear a uniform than on the Patriots. I am not optimistic that this team is prepared for Sunday.

Thanks for that input, really insightful. And how many starting positions is this mad scramble filling?

Meanwhile, teams other than the Bills also shuffle people on and off their rosters in the days before the first game. Why, the Boston Globe itself is reporting:

Expect moves

While the Patriots had 53 players at practice Monday, it’s doubtful that those will be the 53 players to travel to Buffalo.

“There are probably going to be roster moves over the next few days,” said Belichick. “I don’t even know what they are, but it’s just that time of year.”

The roster currently stands at 52 after the Patriots waived fullback James Develin and offensive lineman Josh Kline and re-signed cornerback Marquice Cole, who had been cut Sunday.

According to reports, the Patriots will sign former University of Maine tight end Matthew Mulligan. The Packers cut Mulligan last week and the Patriots worked him out Monday.

Could it be that, in fact, most teams actually do the same thing with the final few spots on their rosters just before the season starts?

Thanks for that input, really insightful. And how many starting positions is this mad scramble filling?

Meanwhile, teams other than the Bills also shuffle people on and off their rosters in the days before the first game. Why, the Boston Globe itself is reporting:

Could it be that, in fact, most teams actually do the same thing with the final few spots on their rosters just before the season starts?

Easy there, fact boy.

I have never seen a team in such a mad scramble just to fill their opening day a roster as this year's Bills team. Seems there is more of a focus on who they can find to wear a uniform than on the Patriots. I am not optimistic that this team is prepared for Sunday.

i likewise assume that we cant gameplan AND manage a roster at the same time. it just makes too much sense that we cant sign a kicker and still run effective practices to deny the logic.

HERETIC!

Everyone KNOWS that all the other teams in The League have had their final roster set now for WEEKS. It's only The Bills who have had injuries and are stuck making roster adjustments because their coaches are stoopid, the FO is inept and the owner is cheap!

I am really concerned on who the 3rd string guard is going to be opening day......truly

Easy there, fact boy.

Thanks, Big C. I'll settle down now.

By the way, did you see the Pats* sign a street FA TE? Wonder what that means about Gronk...

Edited by Rubes

Seriously?

I guess I missed when they cancelled practice to interview kickers

Never seen it? I have seen posts about it in other threads by you so I guess you have a memory lapse since then.

Suffer a concussion beating head into wall? Next time I recommend a running start.

It would be nice if we could rate threads and comments and keep track of who provides good information versus who provides "other". Every team in the NFL is in the same position this time of the year. EVERY TEAM. The fact that they're signing a kicker because our only kicker pulled his groin isn't concerning at all. What would you expect them to do? At the end of the day injuries happen. This year, I'm just extremely satisfied that there's nothing serious besides Stephen Gilmore.

It would be nice if we could rate threads and comments and keep track of who provides good information versus who provides "other". Every team in the NFL is in the same position this time of the year. EVERY TEAM. The fact that they're signing a kicker because our only kicker pulled his groin isn't concerning at all. What would you expect them to do? At the end of the day injuries happen. This year, I'm just extremely satisfied that there's nothing serious besides Stephen Gilmore.

Actually, it is kind of concerning that your starting kicker, whom you cut a decent kicker for earlier doesn't even make it to game 1 without hurting himself in an area where it can't be good for a kicker to be hurt (I get what your saying/mean though.....)

Thanks, Big C. I'll settle down now.

By the way, did you see the Pats* sign a street FA TE? Wonder what that means about Gronk...

It means their FO is all a bunch of stooges. Surely they must have foreseen his inability to play. Where were they during the draft? FA? Hello!?

Actually, it is kind of concerning that your starting kicker, whom you cut a decent kicker for earlier doesn't even make it to game 1 without hurting himself in an area where it can't be good for a kicker to be hurt (I get what your saying/mean though.....)

thats really not concerning for me in a talent evaluation sense. on whether it will effect our week 1 results, sure, but im not concerned at all that they decided on a kicker of the future and he tweaked something at practice afterwards.

Five days before the first game we are uncertain of our starting QB and only have two rookies on the squad. Two other QBs were grabbed to start and finish the last preseason game. We couldn't play an UDFA QB in the 4th preseason game because we had to protect him from injury! If EJ has a set back this week we will be the first team to start a UDFA ever and we will have to pull Lewis from the practice squad with all of one full game experience.

Our back-up guard goes down and he is the only back-up guard on the team. We tried to scramble to find a replacement for him but...our rookie K goes down with a groin before we can pick one up.

So we sign a replacement K less a week before the first game and carry two Ks into the first game.

Our top CB goes down so we bring in a slug to back fill as we don't have enough to cover the team in case one of remaining 4 goes down with injury. Without a doubt he will be pressed into playing time in the first game.

Our pro bowl safety finally comes into town and immediately leaves because his foot hurts, or so he says. So we scramble to find another safety. At least, Leohnard knows where the stadium is.

No other team is in such a mess. Not even Oakland.

thats really not concerning for me in a talent evaluation sense. on whether it will effect our week 1 results, sure, but im not concerned at all that they decided on a kicker of the future and he tweaked something at practice afterwards.

Was it just a tweak or is it a full blown pull? (i'm sure many here can come up with some dirty comments to go with this)

I think whats more concerning is that the Bills front office/coaching staff did not plan for this already, why is there no backup kicker on this roster!

Seriously though, its true, signing a veteran kicker to fill in for the full time kicker who got hurt really isn't concerning, injuries happen and guys will be brought in to replace them until they are healthy. I'm just saying that an injury to the kicker, or any player, is always a concern

Five days before the first game we are uncertain of our starting QB and only have two rookies on the squad. Two other QBs were grabbed to start and finish the last preseason game. We couldn't play an UDFA QB in the 4th preseason game because we had to protect him from injury! If EJ has a set back this week we will be the first team to start a UDFA ever and we will have to pull Lewis from the practice squad with all of one full game experience.

Our back-up guard goes down and he is the only back-up guard on the team. We tried to scramble to find a replacement for him but...our rookie K goes down with a groin before we can pick one up.

So we sign a replacement K less a week before the first game and carry two Ks into the first game.

Our top CB goes down so we bring in a slug to back fill as we don't have enough to cover the team in case one of remaining 4 goes down with injury. Without a doubt he will be pressed into playing time in the first game.

Our pro bowl safety finally comes into town and immediately leaves because his foot hurts, or so he says. So we scramble to find another safety. At least, Leohnard knows where the stadium is.

Ej is starting. If you doubt this at all you are just looking for something to B word about. Did you really want Leinart here after he 11 yrd and two INT performance?

I'm not worried about the backup guard. Sam young will play that role and only 7 OL are active on game day anyway.

CB ill give you is a concern. But A. Williams can play there in a pinch and with NE using so many TE's and RB's in the offense it may be more benficial to have safteys and LBs on the field.

And are you actually worried about a kicker?

So, just so I understand this, the team is a mess because:

- The starting QB is coming off of having his knee drained

- The backup guard is injured

- The top CB will miss, at most, the first 5 games

- The team has a different kicker now

- A guy that hasn't been here the entire off-season and doesn't know the defense might miss some games

Gotcha

How so? We cut a decent kicker in Lindell who has a career success rate of 81.3%. Our rookie gets hurt and we turn around and sign a guy with comparable experience to Lindell who has a career success rate of 81.9%. Not concerning at all.

Ej is starting. If you doubt this at all you are just looking for something to B word about. Did you really want Leinart here after he 11 yrd and two INT performance?

I'm not worried about the backup guard. Sam young will play that role and only 7 OL are active on game day anyway.

CB ill give you is a concern. But A. Williams can play there in a pinch and with NE using so many TE's and RB's in the offense it may be more benficial to have safteys and LBs on the field.

And are you actually worried about a kicker?

I have to laugh that we are worried about not having a kicker who actually has yet to make his first real NFL kick

So are we so bored with the real issues like QB, Byrd, the secondary... we need to find some where they don't exist? Only 46 players will be active anyway, the others are for the FO to worry about. The coaches are only concerned with the 46.

I thought it was 45, but either way... Players 47-53 will just get some sweet tickets for the Bills victory over the Pats*. Lets not get wrapped up about these bottom end guys, sure it's great to have quality depth, but you can only dress 45-46 on game day... WHICH IS 5 DAYS AWAY, WAHOOOOO!!

I think most of the fear comes from not knowing what kind of play we will get from the QBs this year and the fear of a bad secondary becoming even more depleted with Gilmore going down. It makes things seem like a bit of a mess. My guess is the management thinks their CBs will be good enough to hold the fort down??? I hope our young DBs have got better from last year, we will see soon

Now that our season is lost I hope were not pulling scouts off college duty for this all consuming situation. Would hate to blow the draft because of the kicker injury!

?? There are pro scouts and there are college scouts. They typically do their own jobs at this point in the season. Oh, you're kidding. Whew!

By this logic, I'm guessing the Jets don't qualify as an actual NFL team anymore. Ask Sexy Rexy which QB situation he'd rather have, ours, or the one he just mangled in NYC.

Do the browns even have a kicker yet?

I think they just signed the guitarist from Stillwater.

Here here! Also Da bills Practice squad doesn't have Da'greatest wide receiver in the league this year.... Instead said WR will lead Da'Colts to Da'superbowl.

I can't believe they just didn't settle for who they had like chan always would...

8-P

Why not? We signed 2 kickers! That makes us twice a kicky as any other team!