Bills reportedly concerned Kolb's career over

FluffHead

you can say that again, we should have drafted another QB like the redskins did like Landry Jones or Nassib.

Clearly drafting two QBs is the only thing that could make this crowd happy (or bringing back Fitz which wasn't going to happen in a "new beginning" year). Of course, had we drafted Nassib as our second QB we would STILL be screwed with the preseason he's having...

And for everyone saying "Kolb is fragile" and despite having two previous concussions he still had to get hit hard enough for his brain to bash into his skull. It wasn't like he got a love tap and was carted off.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard this on the trip in this morning. Gotta love hearing tweats 12 + hours before the Bills release info.

So much for the Kolb competetion and being a bubble cut and ........

Next up - The Epic (rehashed) battle between WEO and DOC on the qualities of Matt "LineArt" Leinart. What was he infamous for.... pictures with ????

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

While I always wanted EJ to win the starting job, I did not want it to come at the expense of another players health.

Here is hoping that Kolb does what is in his beat interest health wise and that he does not suffer from and long term affects of his multiple concussions.

I always respected him and liked the fact that he was genuinely excited to be apart of this team

CBF

"IF" is the word I said. I did not call him a "loser QB pick" I said in 3 years I would prefer a blind squirrel as a GM if this regime and QB fails. What don't you understand?

I simply see the need to cross that bridge IF we get to it. I'm not even thinking about Manuel's prospects for failure. I just see this differently.

You could watch that game from Saturday

Reps kind of indicates practice. He hasn't gotten a lot of that with the first-teamers.

No one predicted that he wouldn't last through training camp. But it was a near certainty based on his history that he wouldn't last the season. That's why the bills got lucky that they need to hit reset button now and not in week 9. But that doesn't excuse the awful strategy by the front office.

Paging Captain Hindsight...Captain Hindsight.

While I always wanted EJ to win the starting job, I did not want it to come at the expense of another players health.

Here is hoping that Kolb does what is in his beat interest health wise and that he does not suffer from and long term affects of his multiple concussions.

I always respected him and liked the fact that he was genuinely excited to be apart of this team

CBF

This is pretty much how I feel. My wish has been to never see Kolb take a snap in a real game - but not due to injury.

As far as the Bills getting Kolb, in the first place, I was critical from day one (as were many, many others), but financially it made sense.

Keeping Jackson seemed like the smarter thing to me, but then again, I have to think there's a reason they chose to not keep him and rather sign a guy with an extensive injury history.

Put it in perspective ... NE's only healthy QB two weeks ago was none other than Ms. Tim Tebow. Even Brad Smith is better than Tebow, as is Leinart.

We're fine.

Go Bills!

I simply see the need to cross that bridge IF we get to it. I'm not even thinking about Manuel's prospects for failure. I just see this differently.

But the bridge *could* be out there (and it might be down!) - best to just pull the car over, get out and forget about driving...

We all know its ONLY about the destination, not the journey :D

The guy already had a storied injury history when they decided to keep him instead of Tavaris Jackson. Shows a complete lack of foresight.

Not Necessarily. I don't think Jackson figured into their plans other than being a 3rd String where they were looking for 1st/2nd string material.

Kolb has just had a horrible preseason. No luck what-so-ever. I feel for the guy, I really do.

That said I am more concerned with E.J.'s health. They brought in 2 more QB's. At least Matt L. has game experience but now I'm worried for the start of the season.

CBF

EJ had won the battle for #1 before this injury and subsequent bad news came out.

Paging Captain Hindsight...Captain Hindsight.

Right on queue.

How about this for a search exercise? Provide the proportion of posts where Promo offers analysis, insight of the team's play vs the snarky reply to another poster who has the temerity to question the front office's decisions. This should be fun.

I know that it's a lot easier to slam the posters than to address the issue that the front office left no room for error this offseason.

You don't need a link to know that there were three major concerns with the roster as it changed from last year to this - QB, secondary & interior line play. In each of those, Bills chose to go with a very risky strategy of hoping that the guys who either never played in the NFL or never had success in the NFL be their primary and back up options. Through the first three weeks of preseason it looked like the gamble may pay off. Now that they got injuries to key players in those spots, the strategy has certainly backfired.

I've already laid out where I thought Bills messed up with the QB position. There were plenty of CBs available in free agency that are way better than McKelvin, Brooks & Rogers. Plus, it may have helped to have your best safety in camp because you virtually turned over the entire defensive backfield. No 20/20 hindsight needed for the fundamental incompetence of composing the roster.

Now your turn to explain why it's not a big deal that two QBs picked up on the eve of the season may start or play a large amount of snaps.

how quickly people forget that Fitzpatrick was not very good

How many weeks before there are "at least with Chan...." threads?

Fitzpatrick can lead you to 5-6 wins a season. He's not a good QB. The standards are so low here that when a Bills QB throws for 300 yards we want to build statues and make t-shirts. That's called "almost every game" for the top QBs in this league.

The front office rightfully isn't caught up in the starry eyed love of mediocrity that so many fans (apparently) are. They are trying to win the Super Bowl, not go 8-8.

Right on queue.

How about this for a search exercise? Provide the proportion of posts where Promo offers analysis, insight of the team's play vs the snarky reply to another poster who has the temerity to question the front office's decisions. This should be fun.

I know that it's a lot easier to slam the posters than to address the issue that the front office left no room for error this offseason.

You don't need a link to know that there were three major concerns with the roster as it changed from last year to this - QB, secondary & interior line play. In each of those, Bills chose to go with a very risky strategy of hoping that the guys who either never played in the NFL or never had success in the NFL be their primary and back up options. Through the first three weeks of preseason it looked like the gamble may pay off. Now that they got injuries to key players in those spots, the strategy has certainly backfired.

I've already laid out where I thought Bills messed up with the QB position. There were plenty of CBs available in free agency that are way better than McKelvin, Brooks & Rogers. Plus, it may have helped to have your best safety in camp because you virtually turned over the entire defensive backfield. No 20/20 hindsight needed for the fundamental incompetence of composing the roster.

Now your turn to explain why it's not a big deal that two QBs picked up on the eve of the season may start or play a large amount of snaps.

While you state that 20/20 hindsight is not needed, that is all you offer. Who were the "plenty of CBs available" that were better. Where was your post on that? Where was your post on the supposedly short sighted QB situation? We should have had our best safety in camp? No kidding. What was your master negotiation strategy here - pay him whatever he wants? To what eventual end? Do not criticize other people for offer no facts when you offer none of your own, just hindsight opinions. Life offers no guarantees - you make judgements based on available facts and limitations and always hope for the best. That does not mean there was not strategy involved, even you do not, in hindsight, agree with it.

While you state that 20/20 hindsight is not needed, that is all you offer. Who were the "plenty of CBs available" that were better. Where was your post on that? Where was your post on the supposedly short sighted QB situation? We should have had our best safety in camp? No kidding. What was your master negotiation strategy here - pay him whatever he wants? To what eventual end? Do not criticize other people for offer no facts when you offer none of your own, just hindsight opinions. Life offers no guarantees - you make judgements based on available facts and limitations and always hope for the best. That does not mean there was not strategy involved, even you do not, in hindsight, agree with it.

Again, it's not hindsight to see that Bills' offseason strategy left no room for error at three key positions.

There was a gaping hole at CB opposite Gilmore, and resigning McKelvin did not plug it because he's never shown any propensity to be an effective outside cover guy. He only became a valuable contributor when he played slot. Despite fans' love affair with Brooks & Rogers they have been a constant liability in coverage. This was pointed out in March & April, well before the catastrophic injury to Gilmore. But anyone who questioned the strategy at the time was mocked by the usual suspects. No one has a crystal ball to predict injury. But you don't need to be a seer to recognize a big problem that would happen if the one star at the position were to get injured. Bills' personnel strategy fir the season had a lot of hope and prayer associated with it. I guess that's the Moneyball aspect of it. Except in baseball's moneyball, A's looked to obtain value-priced veterans who had a track record of production in the big leagues. That's where Bills failed. Hoping that suddenly Rogers & Brooks see the light, or Nickell Robey or Crezdon Butler would be those guys is a foolish strategy.

Here's a list of FA DBs in 2013 - there are many better than Rogers & Brooks.

I don't recall the usual members of team storm cloud ushering Fitzpatrick out the door. His days as a starter were numbered, but he was still one of the best backup QBs in the game.

But he refused to renegotiate in the face of his imminent role as a #2 - that and a new system being installed and he wasn't the Golden Boy, #1 Son of the new regime. I'm sure he took less from Cinci or wherever the hell he is now than what The Bills offered him. It was his choice too.

Does this mean we have to take back all those "good luck in whatever's next" posts?

Glad to hear things seem as good as they can be. Surprised the protocol would keep him out for "some time" - I would have guessed a couple weeks, but the NFL isn't messing around with the concussions!

Makes me think of all the times I've cracked my head snowboarding, skating or riding my bike...

Does this mean we have to take back all those "good luck in whatever's next" posts?

Glad to hear things seem as good as they can be. Surprised the protocol would keep him out for "some time" - I would have guessed a couple weeks, but the NFL isn't messing around with the concussions!

Makes me think of all the times I've cracked my head snowboarding, skating or riding my bike...

You've got a few more in ya. I think KK does too - but likely not within a Bills uni.

But he refused to renegotiate in the face of his imminent role as a #2 - that and a new system being installed and he wasn't the Golden Boy, #1 Son of the new regime. I'm sure he took less from Cinci or wherever the hell he is now than what The Bills offered him. It was his choice too.

As I said, he miscalculated his market value. But that has nothing to do with how the bills needed to approach the season. They knew that the talent after Fitzpatrick was very thin and the rookie QB would likely need a year of grooming. So if it wasn't going to be Fitzpatrick, then the next decent veteran QB would also cost them about $3 million for the year. Kolb came at a bargain basement price because no team wanted to touch him...

Again the Bills won the battle on a players contact. How does the on the field product look?