Bills reportedly concerned Kolb's career over

FluffHead

I could never call him "Kobb" with the "L" in there, so perhaps it's better off.

And reportedly, Fitz was offered $3 M to stay and left to play for $2M. What are you gonna do?

I don't think they needed to restructure Fitz. He could have been an expensive back-up for a season. Instead, the FO tried to force him to take a paycut, so he left.

In hindsight, by letting Fitz go and signing Kolb, it forced the Bills to draft their franchise QB in this draft--they had no choice. God forbid if Manuel had been taken before their pick.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice straw man argument there. For the record, I wasn't enthused about the Kolb signing given his doing almost nothing in the NFL and injury history. But true fan-hood apparently now means you don't criticize the team, we're not supposed to come down hard on the franchise. There's apparently new management in charge and we should give them time before offering an opinion.

Kolb was the latest in a long line of cast-offs brought in by this franchise who somehow were going to resurrect their careers. Holcomb, Fitz, VY, Tarvaris, and Kolb. At what point do people start questioning the QB decisions the franchise makes at the most important position? Based on the evidence, it appears the Bills don't know what they're doing at QB, despite having a new GM and HC. EJ had better be good and healthy because there's nothing behind him but UDFA talent and Matt Leinart.

Im sorry I have to disagree here......

This is NOT the same ole same ole.....we DRAFTED our QB.....when you use a 1st round pick on a QB that I the guy....EJ Manuel was ALWAYS going to be the starter and future of the team

So now if falls to what you are doing BEHIND your starter.....and there just was not a lot of pickings for that this year when Ryan Fitzpatrick turned down the restructure that the bill offered...so they went with Kolb who as a backup might have something to offer because of his pedigree and because he actually won game when healthy....at this point you are NOT thinking about who your starting QB is gonna be....you are thinking about who can win a few game for you if needed while providing a veteran/no threat to your 1st rounder QB....Kolb from the outside looking in DID appear to be that type answer.....

You cannot account for injurie....if EJ doesn't get hurt this isn't as big of an issu....then KOLB completely fell apart and thre I NO WAY anyon could have known that......

What the bill ARE doing is a good job of scrambling to find more QB option for a BACKUP QB

Nice straw man argument there. For the record, I wasn't enthused about the Kolb signing given his doing almost nothing in the NFL and injury history. But true fan-hood apparently now means you don't criticize the team, we're not supposed to come down hard on the franchise. There's apparently new management in charge and we should give them time before offering an opinion.

Kolb was the latest in a long line of cast-offs brought in by this franchise who somehow were going to resurrect their careers. Holcomb, Fitz, VY, Tarvaris, and Kolb. At what point do people start questioning the QB decisions the franchise makes at the most important position? Based on the evidence, it appears the Bills don't know what they're doing at QB, despite having a new GM and HC. EJ had better be good and healthy because there's nothing behind him but UDFA talent and Matt Leinart.

Aren't you contradicting yourself in this post? We did address the qb situation by grafting EJ didn't we?

Uh, there is new management in charge. That management brought in the first QB taken in this draft.

Do you have trouble tying your shoes in the morning?

Aren't you contradicting yourself in this post? We did address the qb situation by grafting EJ didn't we?

But, we failed to take 4QB's to camp......rookie GM and rookie HC.....especially when they are running the ball with the read option!!! This isn't a bad break, its a brain cramp on the part of the Bills leadership!!!!

He is not contradicting himself. He said the bills keep on making bad decisions at qb, and he is right. Too early to pass judgment on Manuel, so he doesn't count in the tally of good/bad decisions yet

I could never call him "Kobb" with the "L" in there, so perhaps it's better off.

And reportedly, Fitz was offered $3 M to stay and left to play for $2M. What are you gonna do?

He wasn't going to take a pay cut because the GM announced to the world that Fitz would be demoted. And the Bills decided to cut him anyway, with zero talent available in free agency and the weakest rookie QB class in a decade. Basically, Bills left themselves no room for error and now it caught up to them. Good thing it's still preseason.

But, we failed to take 4QB's to camp......rookie GM and rookie HC.....especially when they are running the ball with the read option!!! This isn't a bad break, its a brain cramp on the part of the Bills leadership!!!!

Nah...just a bad break!!!!!!!!!!

He is not contradicting himself. He said the bills keep on making bad decisions at qb, and he is right. Too early to pass judgment on Manuel, so he doesn't count in the tally of good/bad decisions yet

But he was complaining about how people say it's too early to pass judgment on the new regime, which basically is hanging its hopes on Manuel. It's baffling.

The one positive to take out of this situation is EJ will be the week one starter

MAybe not. He has to be healthy enough to play. Remember he is expected to be out the entire preseason and if/when he returns after that will he have enough practice time and be ready to start. We could be looking at Tuel time for week one.

I had no desire to see him start for the Bills, but Jesus, this sucks. Not so much for us, but for him. Hopefully he can still lead a functional and comfortable life.

lol, are you kidding me.

i saw jimbo get hit so hard once, he walked to the wrong sideline.

kolb got hit, finished the drive, and it was the only points we scored all day.

nfl is probably paying him to retire. if this was 3 years ago, homeboy would be starting on thursday against detroit.

lol, "a functional life".

immediately after that hit was the only time we had a "functional offense" all game.

I think the fact that they dump Fitz was really the issue. They are not paying Manuel starter money yet so they could have kept Fitz and let there be the same QB competition. They are counting his salary against the cap anyway and he had chemistry with the team mates. There was no need to bring in a veteran presence you had one on the team that was more durable and of the the same if not better calibre.

There certainly are reasons to question the front office. One, cutting Fitzpatrick when there were no quality QBs available. Two, cutting Jackson knowing Kolb's injury history. So in effect, they wasted training camp on guys who won't be back-ups

They 'cut' Fitz because he wouldn't agree to take a pay cut. Would you or anyone else on this board be happy right now if Fitz was still on the roster with his scheduled salary?

It's amazing the number of guys now saying the Bills "should have known" Kolb was doomed to a career ending injury. Like I said earlier, the lengths to which some people will go...

He wasn't going to take a pay cut because the GM announced to the world that Fitz would be demoted. And the Bills decided to cut him anyway, with zero talent available in free agency and the weakest rookie QB class in a decade. Basically, Bills left themselves no room for error and now it caught up to them. Good thing it's still preseason.

I don't really think he'd take a pay cut either way. New Regime almost always equals new QB, and he'd get paid whether he played for the Bills or he was cut. Might as well stand your ground and make the Bills make the decision on you. Either they keep you on there at that price, or they cut you and you get to play for that money somewhere else.

They 'cut' Fitz because he wouldn't agree to take a pay cut. Would you or anyone else on this board be happy right now if Fitz was still on the roster with his scheduled salary?

It's amazing the number of guys now saying the Bills "should have known" Kolb was doomed to a career ending injury. Like I said earlier, the lengths to which some people will go...

To get off to a fresh start, they needed to get rid of fitz imo. Though I think they should have kept Tavaris over Kolb. I think that falls more on marrone than the front office though.

As long as EJ is able to start and is healthy, all this backup qb stuff doesn't matter much. But it is a concern that there really is nothing behind him if the worst happens

Edited by DanInUticaTampa

I think the fact that they dump Fitz was really the issue. They are not paying Manuel starter money yet so they could have kept Fitz and let there be the same QB competition. They are counting his salary against the cap anyway and he had chemistry with the team mates. There was no need to bring in a veteran presence you had one on the team that was more durable and of the the same if not better calibre.

I can fully understand and support the move to not confuse the team with the prior regime's QB, a guy that some people on the team probably still have some loyalties towards, and is expensive.