Can I start another $%&#@ Dave Wannstedt thread?

eball

It was pointed out by our good friend Rastro on Twitter that 8 out of 11 currently-designated starters on the Bills' defense were 1st or 2nd round draft picks.

Gilmore

McKelvin

Mario

Dareus

Lawson

Alonso

Byrd

A. Williams

The other three? K. Williams (4th), Carrington (3rd), and Bradham (5th)

Only Lawson and Alonso are newcomers this season.

I think we know why Mike Pettine wanted this job -- talent out the yin-yang.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might suggest that you not call this a Wanny thread. It is about the talent level on the D and draft pick rounds that support it should be better than last years performance.

Now to your point, yes this d should be better than what we saw last year. Wanny had an awful scheme period.

It was pointed out by our good friend Rastro on Twitter that 8 out of 11 currently-designated starters on the Bills' defense were 1st or 2nd round draft picks.

Gilmore

McKelvin

Mario

Dareus

Lawson

Alonso

Byrd

A. Williams

The other three? K. Williams (4th), Carrington (3rd), and Bradham (5th)

Only Lawson and Alonso are newcomers this season.

I think we know why Mike Pettine wanted this job -- talent out the yin-yang.

KW was as 5th rounder.

And Sir Nigel was a 4th-rounder. So your errors canceled out, I guess.

I said long before the season started that if this was a coaching and scheme issue and not a talent issue.....the the defense was about to rebound in a big way.

This defense SHOULD have been top 10 - 12 LAST YEAR........and Wanny came in and put too much emphasis on the DL to get all the pressure.......

Pettine is a true innovator.........its showing....the players are responding......

We could actually make the playoffs.

It's still not going to be an overnight success. Should the results be better? Absolutely, however it'll take time to adjust to the scheme for both players and the coach. Our linebackers are still a question mark until proven otherwise.

Week 1 and Week 2 are going to be outstanding tests. As much as it makes we want to puke on my keyboard, I have to admit that Brady is this generation's Montana or Unitas and NE has a great coaching staff. Cam Newton will test whether the Bills can play a multi-dimensional QB with talent -- Steve Smith, DeAngelo Williams, James Stewart, Greg Olsen--around him...

I think the Bills D accounts itself well--the talent is there...it just hasn't been used correctly. Its aggressive talent and the Bills have been running passive schemes.

Be careful eball I went here like a month ago and was amazed that there are some people that DON'T think that it was Wanny's fault. His vanilla scheme was so outdated. It was like watching the Pro Bowl every week. That was certainly the biggest problem last year with the defense. You have to put people in position to succeed. You need to dictate the pace not react to what is being dictated to you.

Not just that but you need to DISGUISE!! The amount of game planning that teams do now is far more advanced than ever before. If teams know what you are going to do before you do it they design something to expose the flaws of what you are about to do. He never understood that and thought that if we line up with more talent we should win. That is not always the case.

For example if they know where Mario is coming from they will shift a TE or back to help. They weren't scared to get beat by a blitz in this situation because they RARELY sent anyone other than the front 4.

Edited by Kirby Jackson