Maybin Cut on Hard Knocks

Anyone else watch this last night? I figured it would be apart of the episode since he was cut last week. I gotta say, I felt a range of emotions watching the whole ordeal transpire.

For those that didn't see, the episode opened with Maybin painting in a studio and the narrator using art as a metaphor for building a NFL team. Right away all my contempt for the guy came racing back. Every other player the show has chronicled is off either off busting their ass or dreaming of being an NFL player, and this guy is in lala land painting. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it just falls back into the perception he was never into football...Maybin Mayhem came to mind. Anyway, throughout the episode you watch him get thrown around like a rag doll, make excused for his crappy career, etc. Watching him struggle I started to remember how excited I was for Maybin, I was biased as a Penn State alum, and the crushing disappointment that followed. By the time it becomes obvious he's not making out of the episode (give credit to Hard Knocks for superb audience manipulation) I started feeling bad for the guy. Then I did a quick search to remember the Bills gave him 15 million guaranteed and the pity left again. Remember Eric Wood mouthing off to him?

In the end, it was a unique experience to see this notorious Bill's bust career basically come to an end. Granted its been a couple of years since we've really had to think about this guy, but as Bills fans, there is such a higher level on investment watching Maybin get cut. If you can stomach watching this guy for about 10 collective minutes, it did offer some closure. I hope the Bills never whiff so hard on a #1 pick again.

I have always admired his artistic abilities, but I could have done without the closeup shot of his fungus toenail. :sick:

It does help explain why he falls over so easily though. :ph34r:

lol, you may be onto something there.

I was surprised to see that he looks even smaller than he did when he was here. That kid can't maintain weight for anything. I still think he should convert to TE, though...

In the bigger picture he is a guy who was hit with the lucky stick. Turned one good season into millions.

No doubt...no reason to feel sorry for him at all. Unless he's a complete idiot, he's set for life on Ralph's dime.

In the bigger picture he is a guy who was hit with the lucky stick. Turned one good season into millions.

He still earned a scholarship to one of the best colleges in the country & made the top 1% of his profession. He did that while overcoming the death of his mom & a child.

I hate it was the Bills that drafted Maybin. Never wanted him. But it's funny how much football players get criticized for being busts at the next level when in fact they have been extremely successful to even reach the top 1% of their job. How many posters can claim the same?

I felt bad for him for being cut on national TV. I feel worse for the Bills for drafting him so high and paying so much bank for absolutely no return. I also hope he saved his $. I could not believe how small he looked. The image that is branded in my mind is of him sitting at the presser on the day he signed (after a holdout, ahem) with Bruce Smith's # shaved into one side of his head and his # on the other side, saying he wanted to be the next Bruce. Excuse me while I am sick.

There are a ton of people who are awful at their jobs who don't give money back. And the fact is he was really good to reach the point where he could get millions. Don't be jealous.

Don't act like your not jealous guy... he lucked out and became a millionaire..

1 stat padding season of college football vs scrub teams... look it up.

It was a joke as well, take it easy...

Also, it is different in football, he never actually did any "job".. he sat the bench because he couldn't perform.. He was paid based on potential.

Edited by kobe808lak

He still earned a scholarship to one of the best colleges in the country & made the top 1% of his profession. He did that while overcoming the death of his mom & a child.

I hate it was the Bills that drafted Maybin. Never wanted him. But it's funny how much football players get criticized for being busts at the next level when in fact they have been extremely successful to even reach the top 1% of their job. How many posters can claim the same?

Yeah, it really is amazing. I've watched a bunch of documentaries on college football and attempting to make it to the NFL. It's unbelievably difficult. We tend to act like guys who can't break into the top 53 on a roster suck, but in reality they're still ridiculously good at football.

It was a mistake to draft him so high, not his fault really. I like that he paints but I am an artist (didn't even know that about him). I wish I had some of that money lol.

He certainly has tried to make it as a football player. I hated that we drafted him then, though.....

Don't get hardknocks over here. Now I kind of wish I did.

It's amazing how much hate this guy gets. He's one of MANY busts we've drafted over the years, why is he so special?

Either way, good luck to him. It's nice to see a NFL Player have a hobby such as painting, instead of, I dunno, drugs and murder.

Hearing Maybin's name gives me the urge to punch Dick Jauron. I still recall standing on the turf at RWS during a Bills draft party when Maybin's selection was announced. I can still hear the groan of a thousand fans,

PTR

Players drafted after Maybin: Brian Cushing, Brian Orakpo, Clay Matthews, Percy Harvin, Michael Oher, LeSean McCoy

as long as he saved the money he stole from Ralph. He can sit wearing a smoking jacket and paint away for the rest of his life.

I wonder if he ever considered a Eric Wood portrait?

this pick always smelled to me like a wilson pick: knee jerk, off the wall, based on intuition, knowing better etc. if i'm correct, then wilson has no one but himself to blame. if it was the gm or coach, it still falls back on wilson for hiring such lousy ones. no pity here for being "stolen" from..

That was the worst 1st round pick in Bills history....

Definitely up there, but the Bills have a corner on the "worst #1 pick" market. Walt Patulski, Tom Couseneau, Erik Flowers. Like your kids, it's hard to pick a favorite.

PTR

this pick always smelled to me like a wilson pick: knee jerk, off the wall, based on intuition, knowing better etc. if i'm correct, then wilson has no one but himself to blame. if it was the gm or coach, it still falls back on wilson for hiring such lousy ones. no pity here for being "stolen" from..

always screamed desperate coach grasping for his prototype cover 2 end to try to save his job imho. ive never heard rumor of wilsons hands on it that i currently recall.

If I remember correctly, wasn't that all Jauron on that pick?

Don't act like your not jealous guy... he lucked out and became a millionaire..

1 stat padding season of college football vs scrub teams... look it up.

It was a joke as well, take it easy...

Also, it is different in football, he never actually did any "job".. he sat the bench because he couldn't perform.. He was paid based on potential.

IMO he hardly "lucked out". He had to work his butt of to make a college team to begin with. Yes, an injury led him to start that season at Penn State, but he still dominated that season and showed potential. I didn't like the pick at all, but to say he "lucked out" would be wrong. He worked for everything he got. It didn't work out in the NFL, but I would consider myself to be succesfull if I achieved what he has so far. I don't see how any of you can't see him as having a succesfull life so far. Let me guess, everyone here that gripes about Maybin not being succesfull is at the very pinnacle of his/her position at work, riiiiight !!!! Again, just my opinion.

1) Orakpo was the clear pick that year... flat out the Bills blew it. 2) Maybin is so much smaller now than he was as a rookie. It really makes me question his final year at Penn State leading up to the draft.

As a Buckeye fan, I remember losing to Penn State his senior year, at home, and Maybin was all over Terrell Pryor that game. He looked awesome. I didn't really watch any other PSU games that year. I remember he was considered a "project" in the draft - many thought he had 1st round talent when it came to potential, but that he would not be an immediate contributor. Clearly a bad pick from all angles, we needed starters.

Hearing Maybin's name gives me the urge to punch Dick Jauron. I still recall standing on the turf at RWS during a Bills draft party when Maybin's selection was announced. I can still hear the groan of a thousand fans,

PTR

I, too, was right there with you at that draft party thing in the Jim Kelly suite area ... and my buddy and I (and everyone in there, it seemed) were so excited when it was clear that Orakpo would be on the board for the taking.

And I, too, remember the huge groan and associated wtf's that were muttered when they announced the Maybin pick.

He is neck and neck with E. Flowers in the recent annals of Bills draft busts.

IMO he hardly "lucked out". He had to work his butt of to make a college team to begin with. Yes, an injury led him to start that season at Penn State, but he still dominated that season and showed potential. I didn't like the pick at all, but to say he "lucked out" would be wrong. He worked for everything he got. It didn't work out in the NFL, but I would consider myself to be succesfull if I achieved what he has so far. I don't see how any of you can't see him as having a succesfull life so far. Let me guess, everyone here that gripes about Maybin not being succesfull is at the very pinnacle of his/her position at work, riiiiight !!!! Again, just my opinion.

He hardly dominated that season. I think 7 out of his 10 sacks that year came against Temple & a D2 school. I think there were 9 games where he did not record a sack that season.

But once again the fault really lies at the Bills front office. One of my friends went to Penn State & follows them very closely, before that draft he said I don't care who they take as long as it is not Maybin. I read reports when the Bills selected him there out loud laughs at the draft from other teams tables because it was such a stupid pick. I honestly do not know any Bills fan that was actually happy when the Bills announce they were selceting Maybin. The Bills have noone but themselves to blame & it is foolishness like the Maybin pick that has kept us out of the playoffs & basically a laughingstock for this past decade.

What enraged me was the indifferent attitude when he got cut. Represented his play.

I have a feeling the producers gave him a heads up that it was going to take place and would be filmed. He probably knew it was coming, especially as they showed him getting zero playing time. Also, he could have been more emotional about it but chose to do so off camera. Interesting how the LB coach said in the meeting beforehand that he just didn't need to play him because they had been ahead in both games and didn't need to come out of their base defense. He wasn't dying to get rid of him, but saw no reason to keep him. It started me thinking about who those guys are on the Bills.

I have no issue with Maybin. He didn't draft himself in that spot. Jauron and Co did. Had we used a third round pick on him we all would have just chalked it up to a miss.

I am perplexed by the fans who consistently vent their anger at the player (Whitner, Maybin) and not at the GM's and coaches who drafted them That said, i do see a lot more venom directed at Marv for the Whitner pick.

It's not Maybin's fault he was selected at 11. Blame Dick!