2010 Draft Revisited

eball

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, welcome back! I knew I could draw you out with something from the Nix era! You've been awful quiet the last couple of weeks with nothing to complain about. ;)

Just really busy this time of year. Following the team, but from a marked distance for the first time in a while.

As of right *now*, Spiller is the only good player, and he was a "luxury" at the time.

Hopefully, by the end of the season, Troup, Carrington, Easley, and Moats actually contribute to the team... which up until now, none of them really have other than Carrington a handful of times.

Hopefully, by the end of this season, Dorkington actually contributes to this board... which up until now, he really hasn't.

Really easy sitting on an internet board being a blowhard, dissing people that are actually putting in effort to achieve something.

Not aimed directly at you, Dorkington. Rather at the ease and frequency with which many here are extremely critical of extremely fine athletes trying to make their dreams reality.

Not that it is exclusively the domain of the internet board poster... There are many "media" members who make a living doing the same or worse. Completely shameful for them...

Outside of Spiller, that draft was garbage and he took nearly two years to develop. The 2013 draft however looks much more promising from the start. If Manuel becomes a legit starter it could be a home run.

A draft can't be judged without the context of who was available in that draft. Have a look at the 2010 draft and, without cherry picking one standout pick per round, tell me who did much better. Not every draft is equal.

BTW, the BRILLIANT SF 49ers just traded their 1st round pick last year for a very disappointing Jon Baldwin in a desperate attempt to get something for that selection. The draft is an inexact science. Everyone makes mistakes....

The 2010 Draft has been cited frequently as one of the worst in recent memory, and as evidence of Buddy Nix's incompetence as a GM.

1st -- Spiller

2nd -- Troup

3rd -- Carrington

4th -- Easley

6th -- Moats

Spiller is a budding superstar. Carrington is a starter poised for a breakout year. Moats is a 2nd string ILB and ST contributor. Easley appears to finally be healthy and could be the 5th or 6th WR. Troup is healthy but likely faces the longest odds to make the roster in the DL rotation.

It's hard to comment with respect to Troup and Easley because their careers have never really gotten started because of injury. Moats and Carrington were arguably miscast by the previous coaching staff, and Spiller was underutilized.

I dare say the possibility exists that by the end of the 2013 season, this draft will be looked back upon quite fondly by fans of the Buffalo Bills.

Spiller and Carrington really make that draft......Easley just temps you with his talent and ability....then crushes your heart with his injuries. Thank GOD we are not relying on him this year even if he is kept. Troupe is a guy I would keep for one more year just to make sure......

Define sparingly.

Oh...about 300 attempts and 1500 yards spread over 2 years, for a HOFer. I'm not going to hack on Spiller. I like Spiller. But I don't think you can mention HOF until a player has at least ONE special year (actually 5).

Oh...about 300 attempts and 1500 yards spread over 2 years, for a HOFer. I'm not going to hack on Spiller. I like Spiller. But I don't think you can mention HOF until a player has at least ONE special year (actually 5).

I don't think anyone said Spiller was a HOFer at this point (or ever). However, there is BIG difference between saying he is a bust/not a bust and saying he is a HOFer. There are plenty of guys who didn't explode on the scene and went on to having good to very good to great careers. I don't believe that Eric Moulds did much of anything his first two years in the league, yet he is one of the better players that the Bills have ever had - certainly not one that would be considered a first round bust.

I don't think anyone said Spiller was a HOFer at this point (or ever). However, there is BIG difference between saying he is a bust/not a bust and saying he is a HOFer. There are plenty of guys who didn't explode on the scene and went on to having good to very good to great careers. I don't believe that Eric Moulds did much of anything his first two years in the league, yet he is one of the better players that the Bills have ever had - certainly not one that would be considered a first round bust.

Pretty much agree with you. I thought PTR was talking busts in Canton, no?

I'm not calling this draft bad, but you are leaving out a few guys:

Ed Wang

Danny Batten

Levi Brown

Kyle Calloway

If Troup does get cut that leaves:

1 potential superstar - Spiller

1 solid DL - Carrington

1 backup LB - Moats

1 6th WR - Easley

Does 1 potential superstar make a draft class a success?

I remember on NFL Network, as the draft was late in the 7th round, the crew was analyzing the Bills draft.

Charles Davis gave the Bills a C+, and Corey Chavous gave the Bills an A-.

I can't remember the last RB HOFer who played sparingly his first 2 years.

OJ? ;)

First year he was used as a decoy. Second year he got hurt but still wasn't expected to be used a lot. He had 301 carries in his first two years. In 21 games. Which is about 14 a game. And then 183 the next. Granted, they were 14 game seasons but still. Spiller has 314 in the last two years. In three years, OJ had 484 and Spiller had 388.

OJ? ;)

First year he was used as a decoy. Second year he got hurt but still wasn't expected to be used a lot. He had 301 carries in his first two years. In 21 games. Which is about 14 a game. And then 183 the next. Granted, they were 14 game seasons but still. Spiller has 314 in the last two years. In three years, OJ had 484 and Spiller had 388.

Good response. I guess that's why they brought Saban in?