2010 Draft Revisited

eball

What's your point about last year's SB? The Niners ran wild in the second half, and it came down to one final play in which the CB made the crucial defensive stop (and it wasn't a hold, fwiw). The Niners outyarded the Ravens 468-367. They had more first downs too. The argument doesn't wash with regard to the SB.

The Niners' D was exposed in the championship game primarily because of massive secondary breakdowns early on, not just the lack of a pass rush. I remember it clear as day. I'm not saying, however, that the lack of a healthy Justin Smith (a great player) didn't hurt them. He's a difference maker when healthy. The Falcons racked up 477 yards.

EDIT: I do realize that Ngata went down in the second half. He's not really a pass rusher, but he's certainly a difference maker.

The point is that losing a star cornerback didn't make much of a difference for the Ravens. They weren't playing great defense anyway. The injury to Justin Smith turned the Niners into a different defense.

But that's just s small story in the big picture which has seen very little elite cornerback play from the elite teams.

I'm not saying you can't get to a SB with an elite corner but it apparently isn't very important....the record says so.

The perceived need for s shutdown corner is probably some kind of carryover that dates back to when Deion Sanders could jump teams and significantly tilt the balance of power between Dallas and SF. The game has changed, and as Sisyphean said the rules have changed also. It's more of a passing league but that has only made it more important to get pressure on the QB. Quality of individual CB play is not as important in part because there are more receivers in play but also because corners aren't allowed to be as physical as the days when Deion Sanders and Kevin Smith were keying a Cowboys defense.

The last HOF type CB to play CB in a SB was Charles Woodson a decade ago. Asante Samuel is the best corner to start for a SB team since then, and he was never really considered a hip-pocket cover guy. He has been somewhat exposed as a product of a system in the years since.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the smart posters on this board have proposed a trade with KC in which we deal Byrd for OT Branden Albert. What say you? I like Byrd a lot but if he is disgruntled and the organization is not signing him to a long term deal I would be for it.

I don't know Albert's contract situation so it's tough to answer. The sad thing is, the Bills skipped over Albert AND Ryan Clady in order to draft who? Yep, Leotis McKelvin. This by the way illustrates the point I am trying to make to you.