Rogers after two practice games

Beerball

Why not give the guy some credit? Maybe the coaches know exactly what they have in him due to his extensively documented history, the fact that they brought him in pre-draft, and have been working with him since April. Give the other guys who a still unproven a chance to show their stuff.

A 5/6th WR is kept based on pure potential alone (see: Easley) and I think we all agree that he has the highest ceiling of a WR we have had in a bills uniform for quite some time. I'm glad hogan and Kaufman look good against the 2s and 3s but does that make them more valuable than the ceiling Rogers has? IMO, no.

Clearly I'm a Rogers fluffer...

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be surprised if Rogers makes this squad.

If he clears waivers, which he probably won't, then I'd expect him on the PS.

Paul Hamilton was saying on GR that he'd miss reps in practice because he wasn't paying attention. Maybe he's slow to mature, maybe he's just slow, but either way, if he can't focus well enough to take his reps in practice and he doesn't get reps in games, I don't see him fitting into their scheme at present and possibly ever.

Maybe he'll be a star in the league some day, I don't see it in this scheme. This looks like a really talented bunch of receivers - the Bills haven't had that in ~10 years. I don't see them keeping a true project on the active roster when they've got the opportunity to keep several other guys that could potentially step up as a reasonable starter this year and have potential to be true #2 quality guys next season.

with all due respect to you and your thoughts.

Paul Hamilton is one of the biggest idiots in sports news ever in Buffalo. He has his hand on the Sabres heartbeat a little bit only because he gives handiest to Miller on the bus rides to and from the airport. Other than that. He's an idiot.

Carry on.

You point is well taken...I don't think anyone here thought the Bills would have this much quality competition at WR...It certainly will make the decision to cut Rogers easier if in fact that's the way the Bills coaches want to go...

It's interesting because I wonder how much of Rogers struggles have to do with how ill-prepared he was for learning an NFL Offense...Especially one that demands you to think quickly at all times...He basically played one full year of big-time College football...I doubt the Offense at Tennessee Tech looked much like the one the Bills are running...And the competition was...well...It was Tennessee Tech...The WR position may very well be the toughest behind only QB to come in and contribute immediately in the NFL...Calvin Johnson is the best WR I've personally ever seen, and he only had 48 receptions and 756 yards as a Rookie...Even Jerry Rice fell short of 1000 yards as a Rookie...And the line of 1st round busts at WR is literally a mile long...I'm certain this has to be a consideration in ultimately deciding Rogers fate...

I still think he's got a 50/50 chance to make the roster because the top 5 looks pretty good, the 6th WR is going to be inactive on most Sunday's anyway, and the Bills should easily be able to slide a couple of the lesser known WR's down to the PS...But we'll see soon enough... B-)

Yep, he does seen ideal for the 6th spot... too much potential to just let go, I say work on developing him this year & see if he can make an impact in 2014. I'm reluctantly agreeing with you more on Smith, looks like Easley is at least #5 & he is the odd man out.

On the Minn KO return that went for a TD, but negated by a holding call, Rogers chased the returner the entire length of the field. He didn't give up even tho there was zero chance of him catching the guy, and perhaps even realizing a flag had been thrown.

It seemed to me that he's learned to play to the whistle after getting an earful about the "fumble" in the Indy game.

I also noticed some decent blocking on running plays. Not great, but an indication he is at least attempting to play a well rounded game. I think I detected some "body language" after a play where he was wide open, but Tuel hit Kaufman instead. The play went for a first down, but Rogers might've had a TD if Tuel found him.

All in all, I think Rogers still has too much potential to risk cutting. He may have a long way to go, but I think it'd be short-sighted to give a kid with that much upside such a limited window to prove his worth.

Obviously, I'm not privy to everything the coaches see, but I'd let him hang around til he "proves" he can't contribute, rather than making him prove that he can in just a few weeks. I realize roster spots are at a premium, but I wouldn't be willing to give up on the Da'Rick experiment unless there is some injury crisis at another position during the season.

Winner winner Chicken dinner.

This guy is a talented but undisciplined player. He has a lot to learn. He's definitely shown flashes in practice from what folks here and the media have said

Smart money is, if he's not getting the reps it's because the guys who are out there are ahead of him in the coaches' minds.

He already wants to be traded .

Wish we could.

Hogan has earned every bit of it. Easily has too. Those who hang on to his "potential" as a reasoning should be flogged for proping up Rajas .

I fully expect the coaches to school the kid in hopes he show up for the final 53.

I am fan of 7-11 and thinking to get on board the Marcus Easely Bus

Thank you! This board will implode when Da gets cut.

I may not. Good job by Whaley and Co. though giving the kid a shot

Put it this way, what would Rogers look like three years from now if he had the same amount of time working and practicing as Marcus Easley, or even two years from now like Chris Hogan (this is 7-11's third year).

Lets call Easy the anomaly . I know he has been an underdog fan fav with some folks. Based on his potential .

Seems he is showing up just now.

For real ? not sure. as mentioned above wisely, I too would like to see these kids line up with ones against washington. I feel Hogan may be steady and reliable long term but nothing dramatic ? But Marcus i want to see more of. The Bills staff have given both these guys some opportunities that they have taken advantage of and thats the Marrone way i think.

now consider how much time easely did practice and play. he had at least one season he never was on the the field at all due to that "unspecified injury" . which was later specified . among others that kept him from running at all/

But can Rogers develop ? i would like to think so. but we need to field some reliable consistent receivers for our QBs this year and as we know there are limited spots. give him to the jests. that way no one can throw to him

Limited playing time = waived!

I laughed when people said he was better than Cordarrelle Paterson, We have plenty of athletic WRs, I'm tired of us holding onto guys with tons of potential that don't pan out. If it comes down to Kaufman or Rogers, Rogers can go, I want guys that can play even if they aren't "athletic".

agree, this guy isnt that good, there was a reason he wasnt drafted

If there is even one iota of truth to Hamilton's report that Rogers misses reps at practice because he's not paying attention, at best, he'll be in the coach's doghouse for a while. Great talent or not, if he doesn't have his head on straight, they'll cut their losses.

GO BILLS!!!

now consider how much time easely did practice and play. he had at least one season he never was on the the field at all due to that "unspecified injury" . which was later specified . among others that kept him from running at all/

But can Rogers develop ? i would like to think so. but we need to field some reliable consistent receivers for our QBs this year and as we know there are limited spots. give him to the jests. that way no one can throw to him

unspecified injury with Easley in 2011 was an issue was with a heart condition that hasnt been made public.

Easley was out in 2010 due to a knee injury.

In 2012 he wasnt played much so he could be get on to the PS which was done then he was activated in November from it.

You point is well taken...I don't think anyone here thought the Bills would have this much quality competition at WR...It certainly will make the decision to cut Rogers easier if in fact that's the way the Bills coaches want to go...

It's interesting because I wonder how much of Rogers struggles have to do with how ill-prepared he was for learning an NFL Offense...Especially one that demands you to think quickly at all times...He basically played one full year of big-time College football...I doubt the Offense at Tennessee Tech looked much like the one the Bills are running...And the competition was...well...It was Tennessee Tech...The WR position may very well be the toughest behind only QB to come in and contribute immediately in the NFL...Calvin Johnson is the best WR I've personally ever seen, and he only had 48 receptions and 756 yards as a Rookie...Even Jerry Rice fell short of 1000 yards as a Rookie...And the line of 1st round busts at WR is literally a mile long...I'm certain this has to be a consideration in ultimately deciding Rogers fate...

I still think he's got a 50/50 chance to make the roster because the top 5 looks pretty good, the 6th WR is going to be inactive on most Sunday's anyway, and the Bills should easily be able to slide a couple of the lesser known WR's down to the PS...But we'll see soon enough... B-)

It's possible he makes the team, but right now I'm not expecting it.

I'd like to see Hogan and Easley both get some work w/ the 1's against the Skins (even though it'll be Kolb rather than EJ looking for them) to see if they can get open against the 1's. If they can only do it against the 2's-4's, I'd expect Rogers chances go up. If they get the chance and look reasonable, Rogers is probably toast.

Perhaps his physical potential will get him onto this squad. Unless Easley or Hogan falter these last 2, I expect he'll have to show more from here than he has to date.

unspecified injury with Easley in 2011 was an issue was with a heart condition that hasnt been made public.

Easley was out in 2010 due to a knee injury.

In 2012 he wasnt played much so he could be get on to the PS which was done then he was activated in November from it.

and theres the stash him on the practice squad theory again : ) .

I dont think gailey had much use for his Long speed with Fitz needing to use his quick reads to missthrow the football. he is a strider by last report but seems to be getting seperation in the preseason

Pat Kirwan's thoughts on Rogers:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pat-kirwan/23205639/best-of-the-rest-nfl-rookies-who-went-undrafted-but-not-unnoticed

3. WR Da'Rick Rogers (Tennessee Tech), Bills: He wasn't because of off-field problems but has first-round talent. He made a few catches in front of me that were spectacular. If he is released he will be claimed within seconds.

Where did this come from? Has he actually stated this or pure speculation?

no absolutely not. pure speculation. excepting some reports he seems to be hanging his head a bit.

The part about trade . which cannot happen. would be advantage Buffalo. He has a ton of raw talent.

Tin foil hat time.... Perhaps everything that comes from this regimes mouths should be taken with a grain of salt. From the start of camp Marrone has said that at best he was competing for the back end of the receiving corps. Why limit him with so little having been seen? I have little doubt that physically he is far more gifted than probably any of the other receivers, the sprinters included. Marrone is savvy enough that he won't take that for granted. I'm a firm believer that its the "Jimmy's and Joes" not the "x's and o's". Every football mind that I respect has felt the same way.

If there is even one iota of truth to Hamilton's report that Rogers misses reps at practice because he's not paying attention, at best, he'll be in the coach's doghouse for a while. Great talent or not, if he doesn't have his head on straight, they'll cut their losses.

GO BILLS!!!

From what I know...and I listen to WGR religiously...It's the same incident being rehashed over and over again first by Joe B, and then Hamilton piggy-backing on it...It was during a goal-line-drills part of practice a few weeks back...Rogers did not know he was supposed to be in the offensive package, and the Coaches could be heard clearly yelling out his name...Goodwin ran on to the field for a second to cover for Rogers before Da'Rick came running out...Apparently Rogers took an earful...But I swear to you I have heard that exact story regurgitated over and over again on WGR...I have heard no other specific report on Rogers not paying attention, or dogging it, or anything like that...Just the same story which probably happens to dozens of NFL players every week during Camps...It's part of the micro reporting were getting these days on the NFL...It's nice to get such detail...But it can also get a bit ridiculous as well...

And for the record I have a lot of respect for Joe B because I think he works hard and he pumps out the info...Hamilton should stick to hockey...I don't think he's a football mind at all...But even in the case of Joe B I am 100% certain there are quite a few members of this very board that are more qualified to speak to the intricacies of the NFL than he is...And that's not a knock on Joe B either...It just is what it is...So you have to take a bit of what you hear on WGR with a grain of salt...Overall though I appreciate the coverage...It beats the hell out of what I got for 20 years in Charlotte NC that's for sure... B-)