Rogers after two practice games

Beerball

And for the record I have a lot of respect for Joe B because I think he works hard and he pumps out the info...Hamilton should stick to hockey...I don't think he's a football mind at all...But even in the case of Joe B I am 100% certain there are quite a few members of this very board that are more qualified to speak to the intricacies of the NFL than he is...And that's not a knock on Joe B either...It just is what it is...So you have to take a bit of what you hear on WGR with a grain of salt...Overall though I appreciate the coverage...It beats the hell out of what I got for 20 years in Charlotte NC that's for sure... B-)

I have a high regard for Joe B and his opinions. He goes to all the practices and has a good idea what is going on.Whether one agrees with his assessments or not he is fair with no axe to grind.. His observation is that Rogers lacks focus and doesn't have a good knowledge of the offense. At this point he is simply being outperformed by the other receivers. What is very telling is that so far Rogers has not gotten the reps that the other receivers have gotten in the preseason games. It is not too difficult to come up with an answer why. He hasn't earned the right to take away playing time from players who are outperfroming him in practice.

The truth of the matter is that not one team, including the Bills, were willing to use a draft pick on him. What is also very telling is that prior to the draft a number of teams had him in for an interview. Meeting him in person in an interview setting had little affect in convincing them that he was worth a draft pick, a low one at that.

The bottom line is that Rogers is a physical talent who lacks the acuity and discipline to play in the pro game. If he had trouble navigating the college game then how is he going to handle the greater responsibilities of the pro game? Marrone challenged Rogers right from the start on what it took to make it on to a pro roster. So far Rogers hasn't come close to living up to the challenge.

I don't see Rogers making the active roster and I don't see Rogers making the practice squad. When you work in a production business you better out pruduce the people you are competing with. So far it hasn't happened and time is running out.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a high regard for Joe B and his opinions. He goes to all the practices and has a good idea what is going on.Whether one agrees with his assessments or not he is fair with no axe to grind.. His observation is that Rogers lacks focus and doesn't have a good knowledge of the offense. At this point he is simply being outperformed by the other receivers. What is very telling is that so far Rogers has not gotten the reps that the other receivers have gotten in the preseason games. It is not too difficult to come up with an answer why. He hasn't earned the right to take away playing time from players who are outperfroming him in practice.

The truth of the matter is that not one team, including the Bills, were willing to use a draft pick on him. What is also very telling is that prior to the draft a number of teams had him in for an interview. Meeting him in person in an interview setting had little affect in convincing them that he was worth a draft pick, a low one at that.

The bottom line is that Rogers is a physical talent who lacks the acuity and discipline to play in the pro game. If he had trouble navigating the college game then how is he going to handle the greater responsibilities of the pro game? Marrone challenged Rogers right from the start on what it took to make it on to a pro roster. So far Rogers hasn't come close to living up to the challenge.

I don't see Rogers making the active roster and I don't see Rogers making the practice squad. When you work in a production business you better out pruduce the people you are competing with. So far it hasn't happened and time is running out.

I have to respectfully disagree with a few of your points.

1. Joe B is usually fair, and while I don't think he a personal vendetta against Rogers, I do think that is judgement is clouded by some preconceived notion, or that he has some other reason which slants his coverage of Rogers. For weeks I've heard and read him harping on Rogers without mentioning some of the spectacular plays he's made in training camp. I wouldn't say that Hogan or Kaufman have been clearly outperforming him.

2. Based on reports from others, (and my humble opinion from watching him at camp), Da'Rick's talent is obvious. I'm not saying that this is certainly the case, but it's well within the realm of possibility that Marrone recognizes Rogers's physical talent, and also recognizes that he needs some time to develop the mental side of the game. Therefore, perhaps he has already decided Rogers is the 5th, 6th, or 7th WR, and that he needs to see more from Easley, Hogan, Kaufman, and Sampson to see who else is worthy of a roster spot.

So while I agree that it seems the writing is on the wall for Rogers, I'm hoping that we shouldn't take these indications at face value. I think it would be short sighted to not at least wait and see if Rogers can get it together. I also think it's short sighted to keep a guy like Hogan over Rogers, when Hogan's ceiling is seemingly barely above Rogers's floor.

If in the unlikely event Week 10 rolls around and they are down 3 receivers and Marrone still can't count on Rogers, then bring back Hogan or Kaufman or some other street guy. I just find it hard to picture a scenario where I'd rather have Hogan on the roster Week 1 than Rogers. Neither are likely to see the field, so I'd rather have the guy with enormous upside in my back pocket, than a "serviceable" backup.

Edited by uncle flap

1. Joe B is usually fair, and while I don't think he a personal vendetta against Rogers, I do think that is judgement is clouded by some preconceived notion, or that he has some other reason which slants his coverage of Rogers. For weeks I've heard and read him harping on Rogers without mentioning some of the spectacular plays he's made in training camp. I wouldn't say that Hogan or Kaufman have been clearly outperforming him.

2. Based on reports from others, (and my humble opinion from watching him at camp), Da'Rick's talent is obvious. I'm not saying that this is certainly the case, but it's well within the realm of possibility that Marrone recognizes Rogers's physical talent, and also recognizes that he needs some time to develop the mental side of the game. Therefore, perhaps he has already decided Rogers is the 5th, 6th, or 7th WR, and that he needs to see more from Easley, Hogan, Kaufman, and Sampson to see who else is worthy of a roster spot.

So while I agree that it seems the writing is on the wall for Rogers, I'm hoping that we shouldn't take these indications at face value. I think it would be short sighted to not at least wait and see if Rogers can get it together. I think it's short sighted to keep a guy like Hogan over Rogers, when Hogan's ceiling is seemingly barely above Rogers's floor.

If in the unlikely event Week 10 rolls around and they are down 3 receivers and Marrone still can't count on Rogers, then bring back Hogan or Kaufman or some other street guy. I just find it hard to picture a scenario where I'd rather have Hogan on the roster Week 1 than Rogers. Neither are likely to see the field, so I'd rather have the guy with enormous upside in my back pocket, than a "serviceable" backup.

Exactly. I think it's highly unlikely that any other team picks up Hogan after he's cut... and if someone does, so what? Just get some other dime-a-dozen WR out there if you need one.

So while I agree that it seems the writing is on the wall for Rogers, I'm hoping that we shouldn't take these indications at face value. I think it would be short sighted to not at least wait and see if Rogers can get it together. I think it's short sighted to keep a guy like Hogan over Rogers, when Hogan's ceiling is seemingly barely above Rogers's floor.

Great post...Totally agree...The bolded and underlined point is literally the best point that has been made about this roster battle thus far...And it's completely accurate IMHO... B-)

Those are good thoughts.. it may be so close that it comes down to whoever is the best teammate or special teams contributor.

I think he's probably looking more at guys like Easley, Hogan, and Sampson, because they've been in the league for a couple years at least and haven't done a whole lot. Whereas the other guys are rookies with potential.

From what I can tell, and this is pure speculation, but I've been to two practices, and read the reports from pretty much every source there is, including here, and Rogers is an exceptional talent, but he's exceptional in a limited regard. From what I've seen, he excels at the deep possession ball. Throw it up deep and Rogers will come down with it, more often than not, if it's remotely catchable. Notice no one, not a single Bill has gone deep enough to receive a ball, nor has anyone gone deep in any of the games thus far. The deepest anyone has run before the ball has been thrown was Woods in the first game, and even then it was only 40 yards from the LOS. Pettine is showing basic blitz packages, one's he's already known for, nothing really exotic so far. This is by design to appear, IMO, that the Bills are leaving nothing off the table. On offense, nothing deep, and sure Marrone says he called for a few, but that was the first game, and we still haven't seen one in the second game, and if my theory is correct, no one has even run any really deep go routes so far so it seems to be off the table. So, tin foil hat on here - My guess is that they know what Rogers can do, and where his "raw" talent is ATM, and they're simply not willing to let anyone else see it; at least not in any PS games. Rogers has done anything in practice that warrants this kind of criticism, IMO, but it is true that he han't shown much at all in actual games so far, so it is anyone's guess what the plan is for Rogers, and I offer mine above. I think they think of him as a Moss type player, throw it up deep and you get a good chance of him coming down with it. Other than that, I suppose it's also true that he really isn't all that and a bag of chips as some seem to be suggesting, but like I said, I have not seen any evidence of that..

This team has stuck with Easley based off of potential. The more I think about it the less likely it is Rogers gets cut.

I was thinking the same thing earlier...Think of Easley in his Rookie season, and look at him now...Easley was ultra-raw coming out of College as well...WR is NOT an easy NFL position to master early on...Rogers comes in with more raw talent than Easley...It's going to take some time no question...But patience here could pay off in a big way down the road...This is a team looking to grow up together...I see no reason to keep a WR with limited upside over Rogers...It just makes no sense at this point for this team...Like uncle flap said earlier in this thread...It would be short sighted... B-)

So while I agree that it seems the writing is on the wall for Rogers, I'm hoping that we shouldn't take these indications at face value. I think it would be short sighted to not at least wait and see if Rogers can get it together. I also think it's short sighted to keep a guy like Hogan over Rogers, when Hogan's ceiling is seemingly barely above Rogers's floor.

Every year there is an unexpected low round star that generates a buzz from the "desperate to believe" fanbase. This year's version of the unexpected camp star is Rogers. The problem with that fictitious status is that Rogers hasn't played to the level that warrants being categorized as that type of surprising talent. He is being outperformed by other prospects that include a number of young receivers.

If you want to discount WGR's Joe B's observations regarding Rogers, then that is not unreasonable position to take. He is simply a media reporter who is watching the proceedings and giving his views. That isn't the critical issue here. What is telling is that the coaches have relegated DR to the end of he receiver line and placed a number of other prospects ahead of him in practice and preseason games. Those same coaches are involved in deciding who makes the roster and who doesn't.

Entering this year's draft Rogers was far from being an under the radar talent. Every organization knew of him and his undisciplined story-line. Many teams had him in for an interview to get a sense of who he is as a person. Every team in the league passed on him in the draft, including the Bills. Why?

If Rogers was playing at a high level and diligently working then there is a case to be made on his behalf. But that isn't the case. Easly, Hogan and Kaufmann are outperfroming him on a roster that includes other young receivers in Woods, Goodwin and TJ Graham. As it stands Rogers ranks sixth or seventh best receiver on a non-playoff team. The notion that he is a special talent that this organization shouldn't gamble on losing to another team makes little sense. As it stands based on his performance he hasn't demonstrated that he deserves to make the Bills roster.

I'm not being critical or Rogers because I don't want to see him do well. I'm not critical of him because I think he is a bad guy. I would love to see him excel. But that isn't the case here. The new regime is putting their stamp on this roster. They are trying to create an environment of accountability and merit. Based on his on field performances Rogers doesn't deserve to be on the active roster or even given a sport on the practice squad.

As the season approaches roster decsions get to be more difficult. This is far from being a tough call to make.

Edited by JohnC

This team has stuck with Easley based off of potential. The more I think about it the less likely it is Rogers gets cut.

Difference is, Easley hasn't cost them a roster spot. He was IR 2 yrs, after that they were able to stash him on the PS 'cuz who wants a 3 yr guy whose never seen the field.

2nd difference is, there's a new sherrif in town. Chan was big on keeping guys with "potential" and letting them develop.

Marrone has been widely quoted as saying if you can't help the team now, we have no place for you.

I think people love to construct elaborate conspiracy theories to explain away the simple and straightforward. Like it or don't, 4 WR slots are full with SJ, TJ, Woods, and Goodwin. The 5th and 6th WR typically have to show strong ST potential, not as kickoff or punt returners but as blockers and gunners. This is the hardest aspect for fans to assess because we typically don't hear much from the news media or news clips, Smith is a strong ST player and an adequate WR. Chances are good out of Easley (if healthy) Hogan and Kaufmann, pick one. One more goes to PS. The rest go home. Right now in terms of reps and demonstrated abilities it looks like Easley to the team and Kaufman to the PS.

If Marrone means business and Da'Rick is missing reps due to inattention as has been reported, he has no place on our roster.

The one thing that's also overlooked in this discussion is the QB confidence in the WR. From what I've seen in games & heard about the practices, there's much greater comfort level with Hogan, especially in 3rd down situations. While we're all giddy about the new talent, speed & athleticism of the new WR corps, I don't know who will emerge as the surehanded go-to option on 3rd downs.

Da'Rick may be the next Jimmy Smith, but I also want to make sure they address the next David Nelson.

I'm not trying to come across as a Rogers apologist. But he has been catching touchdown after touchdown in training camp. He's been blowing by corners and making highlight reel catches.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I do think the bubble guys have been getting more looks in the preseason games because they need further evaluation whereas Rogers has shown enough to warrant sticking around.

Perhaps there's some psychology at play here as well; As with EJ, it could be that Marrone wants Rogers to think he's earned it, not just handed a spot solely based on potential. What better way to get a player motivated by making him think his job is in jeopardy?

There's literally nothing that the bubble guys can do that Rogers can't. I'm not worried about finding the next David Nelson, since Stevie, Woods, and Chandler can work the underneath all day. All of the receivers can catch 6 yard curl or slant- why waste a spot on a guy who can do that, and nothing else? Nelson was a good guy, but he didn't bring much to the table.

Again, I freely admit that I'm spitballing here. I don't have any inside information. But to me, I find it hard to believe that Marrone and Co. would be so hasty as to cut a guy who could develop into a big time force as a pro.

Look at Dez Bryant. All the talent in the world, but immature as they come- until recently that is. By all accounts, he has "matured," although it's taken a couple of years. Now, I can understand not wanting to wait around for a player to develop/mature, but if the reason is so the Bills can keep the likes of Chris Hogan... I just don't think that's a good idea.

I said this upthread, but I'd let him hang around until he "proves" he can't contribute, rather than making him prove that he can in just a few weeks.

Another way to look at his situation is to see how much he plays against Washington.

The coaching staff could been sending him a message about his play during the Colts Fumble Return. Plus there has been a lot of talk on WGR 550 about him not knowing where he needs to be for certain formations and missing reps because he did not realize he was supposed to be on the field.

Hopefully the message is received .

I can think of a couple situations at BillsCamp where he lined up in the wrong place. He's a 2-3 year project. Whether he's a project for us on a WR-deep team...I don't think so. So many more NFL-ready young WRs on our plate (Woods, Hogan, Easley, Kaufman, Goodwin). I'm feeling sorry for Dorin Dickerson.

I'm not trying to come across as a Rogers apologist. But he has been catching touchdown after touchdown in training camp. He's been blowing by corners and making highlight reel catches.

This is what I've been lookin for. I haven't heard this anywhere but here. Have you seen him first hand or are you garnering info off of reports from camp. I've been reading practice notes and daily wrap ups and haven't seen a lot about Da' Rick. If he's blowing everyone away in camp, then by all means they should keep him on the roster. I just want confirmation that is the case.

I can think of a couple situations at BillsCamp where he lined up in the wrong place. He's a 2-3 year project. Whether he's a project for us on a WR-deep team...I don't think so. So many more NFL-ready young WRs on our plate (Woods, Hogan, Easley, Kaufman, Goodwin). I'm feeling sorry for Dorin Dickerson.

Hasn't Dickerson been lining up at TE since a brief spring tryout at WR?

This is what I've been lookin for. I haven't heard this anywhere but here. Have you seen him first hand or are you garnering info off of reports from camp. I've been reading practice notes and daily wrap ups and haven't seen a lot about Da' Rick. If he's blowing everyone away in camp, then by all means they should keep him on the roster. I just want confirmation that is the case.

Both. I admit I *want* him to be good, so perhaps I've overlooked some of the other guys. But while I've been at camp, I've personally seen him easily beat DBs deep for big gains and TDs, outmuscle DBs on jump balls, and make a nasty one hand catch over the middle and turn it upfield for a TD.

I've seen Easley make some deep plays, and Kaufman catch some 20-25 yard posts and flags. Hogan, Sampson, the rest of the bubble guys, not so much. They are running slants, curls, and shallow drags for the most part.

This may be because I have been paying extra attention to Rogers, but I also noticed him fighting through boderline illegal contact and pass interference quite frequently. To me, that signals that he's tough to cover.

I'll defer to the venerable Astrobot, who has been attending more sessions than I have, but I see Rogers as a player with tremendous body control, size and speed. I don't think that his mental lapses are enough to outright discount his physical talent, at least at this point.

I'll also defer to the coaches. If Rogers doesn't make the team, I'm going to assume that it's not because Rogers "doesn't get it" now, it's because they don't think he'll ever "get it."

Edited by uncle flap

I'll also defer to the coaches. If Rogers doesn't make the team, I'm going to assume that it's not because Rogers "doesn't get it" now, it's because they don't think he'll ever "get it."

Then I wouldn't dismiss the possibility that Rogers will develop a quirky injury on August 31 and will have to spend the year on IR.

There's going to be some very tough decisions to be made regarding the WRs that we have. You have to think that four spots are secured with SJ/Woods/Graham/Goodwin. That leaves D. Rogers/B. Smith/Easley/Hogan/Kaufmann/Sampson to fight for 2 and possibly 3 spots.

Of the latter group I think Sampson and Kaufmann could be placed on the PS. So who you're really choosing from is D. Rogers/B. Smith/Easley/Hogan. I think Rogers and Easley have the most upside of those four and Smith is extremely valuable because of his versatility, which is an important factor when the coaches are pulling their hair out regarding who to keep as player #52 and #53.

If it's me I go with SJ/Woods/Graham/Goodwin/Roger/Easley/B. Smith. Put Hogan on the PS. Maybe you keep Hogan and put Easley on the PS.

If you keep Hogan and try to slip Rogers through waivers some team will take a chance on him.

Since you're going with a young team anyway you might as well keep guys like Rogers and Easley because of their size/strength/speed/youth over a possession WR like Hogan who has a much better chance of getting through waivers.

if you're trying to keep them all, or at least as many as possible, you probably need to not cut Rogers.

Da’Rick Rogers turned in another big play in practice on Monday morning. It was a 49-yard pass play with Rogers gaining separation to make a catch along the right sideline to put Buffalo’s offense in the red zone on the first play of a two-minute drill. It’s that type of ability that got Rogers his current opportunity in Bills training camp despite his past transgressions. What he’ll need to do to stay on Buffalo’s roster, according to head coach Doug Marrone, is turn those flashes of playmaking ability into constants.

“With Da’Rick you see a lot of potential out there where he can go ahead and make plays and physically beat people,” said Marrone. ”Then other times he’s getting down a little bit or maybe feeling a little sorry for himself. Whatever it may be then you don’t see that consistency in him. Right now it’s a little bit up and down. Again we’ve just got to get it where it’s constantly going up and he should be a fine player.”

Marrone gave an example of how Rogers approach to the game might not be as structured and focused as that of some of the other rookie wideouts.

“What you see with some of the younger players and where I think the separation has come from, Robert Woods for example, has been out there every day consistently doing well and winning routes,” said Marrone. ”Da’Rick you’ve seen flashes of him being able to win, so it’s just a matter of consistency. When we came up here what we’ve talked with the players about is that mindset. Going out there every day and trying to win and handling adversity.”

Rogers has certainly proven he has talent, but it’s apparent he still has to prove to his head coach that he can handle the day in and day out demands of being a pro.[/Quote]

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/08/19/marrone-with-darick-its-about-consistency/

Looks like Rogers needs consistency.