Open Containers O.P Police will be giving out warning

Thanks for the heads up. In the past, I could be found walking to the stadium finishing my last bottle of suds. With all the rules and changes this season, smart decisions will be crucial.

I truly wonder how strict, and how effective, these new OP codes will be.

Looks like we need pre-season to get used to all the changes

It's a real shame that one of the best tailgate locations in the NFL has to clamp down on the fun.

I do understand why. When you have 70,000 people drinking a couple of dozen are going to take it too far

But still the vast majority maintain control and are responsible, but have to lose their privileges all for a couple of idiots.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I think the big think here is the questionable cause and effect.

Clamping down on open containers on sidewalks is going to reduce alcohol related issues how?

If they want to crack down, start checking ID at the gate and ban people who commit legitimate infractions for a year.

Or

Have a DWI checkpoint for all exiting stadium traffic.

Or

Something.

This open container deal is a lame revenue ploy. No public safety implications that I can think of. I'd love to hear otherwise???

I'm guessing they will still allow drinking in the lots surrounding the stadium. If you park in Hammer's lot or one of the close lots, bring a full beer and crack it open as soon as you cross the street. Only 15 yards of "no open container zone". Kind of an inconvenience, but at least you can enjoy one last reasonably priced beverage while waiting to get into the stadium. They can't stop you from bringing an unopened beer across the street right?

They should worry more about the people drunk in their cars than the people in the road walking, you're not going to injure many people with a beer in your hand on a sidewalk.

Except that guy that died in a creak last year. But to be fair, I don't think he had a beer in his hand.

Rules are lame. Kick the aholes out....let us happy drunks be happy

It's always the irresponsible few who spoil it for the responsible many. Not just with this but with most things in life.

Except that guy that died in a creak last year. But to be fair, I don't think he had a beer in his hand.

he was already in the stadium and drunk...not sure how preventing him from walking with a beer would have made him any less stupid

he was already in the stadium and drunk...not sure how preventing him from walking with a beer would have made him any less stupid

Good point. Red solo cup usually gets around the open container laws.

Also, Props to your Avatar pic (another Austinite here).

Have a DWI checkpoint for all exiting stadium traffic.

That would slow down traffic far too much. But can you imagine if they did that unannounced after a September regular season game? They could probably fund the stadium renovations from all the DUI fines alone.