So What Would a Successful Season Be For EJ?

I don't see how anyone can realistically think this team is going to win 8-10 games.

It would obviously be great if they did but this is going to be yet another transition year with a new coaching staff and new systems on each side of the ball, new QBs and an offensive line that lost one of if not its best players

The defense should be improved just by the style they will play but I still see stopping the run as a big problem

Edited by Max997

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see how anyone can realistically think this team is going to win 8-10 games.

It would obviously be great if they did but this is going to be yet another transition year with a new coaching staff and new systems on each side of the ball, new QBs and an offensive line that lost one of if not its best players

The defense should be improved just by the style they will play but I still see stopping the run as a big problem

Because even with Fitz and a schitt defense we won 6 and were 3 plays from 9 wins.

PTR

1. Show the God-given talent to sense where the pass rush is coming from and slide in the pocket to avoid it while keeping his eyes downfield

2. Scramble at opportune times but always slide and generally be aware of protecting himself from big hits. Run out of bounds when available. Do not hold the ball too long.

3. Start 16 games.

4. Make some big plays that display his great natural talent (arm and legs). Show improved accuracy as the season progresses.

If he fails in any of these 4 areas, I would draft a QB with the 2014 first-rounder.

Will EJ be labelled a bust and Marrone a failure after 2 pre-season games?

PTR

What's ironic to me as that the posters who B word and moan the most about how much this team sucks will indeed B word and moan the most if the team sucks. When you step back from the tard-a-palooza and watch it go round and round, it's actually a pretty funny sight.

GO BILLS!!!

Play 16 weeks in good health and be a better QB on week 16 than he was on week 1.

I agree but will add some other thoughts. If he's in the middle of the pack or better of the QB ratings (efficiency, QBR), that would be a good start for a rookie. If he leads the team to a 8-8 or better record, that would be a good start for a rookie. If he throws more TDs than INTs, that would be great too.

Let's remember that Jim Kelly didn't have a great rookie season with the Bills, despite some post-collegiate seasoning in the USFL. Then again, with Spiller and Jackson in the backfield, EJ doesn't need to be team's saviour.

If he were to start and play the entire season, What would a "successful" season look like for EJ? Wins, TD's/Int's, Yds...

Interesting question. I believe a successful season in EJ's eyes would be if he exceeds what his opponents expect of him but more importantly if he equals or surpasses his own expectations for himself.

I'm not sure what a certain number of TD's, Ints, yards or wins would constitute a successful season. Does he have the potential for Big Ben rookie numbers? Yes I think it's possible. Can the rest of the team complement his efforts at this point in time. That remains to be seen but it's not out of the question.

What's ironic to me as that the posters who B word and moan the most about how much this team sucks will indeed B word and moan the most if the team sucks. When you step back from the tard-a-palooza and watch it go round and round, it's actually a pretty funny sight.

GO BILLS!!!

Some just like bitches who moan so they just repeat it here.

Win-Loss records belong to teams; not quarterbacks.

Agree completely with this. Or were all those wins in Denver last year by Tebow?

Play 16 weeks in good health and be a better QB on week 16 than he was on week 1.

Not sure I agree with this - we play New England in Foxboro in week 16 unless you are counting bye week and mean Miami. And I can think he can have a successful season even if he is hurt week 15 and does not play that game.

I will avoid numbers for this post. I would like to see him start all 16 games, show flashes of his natural talent and lead a couple of 4th quarter game winning drives. The Bills have rallied and fallen short many times in recent years and I think that winning is a mentality. I would like to see him get it done and subsequently see growth from the team.

If he were to start and play the entire season, What would a "successful" season look like for EJ? Wins, TD's/Int's, Yds...

My minimum for a successful season would be to play at the level that Tannehill played at last season. He wasn't consistent, but he had some big games and huge plays that gave you a sense that he is going to be a difference making QB.

Manuel was better at Florida State than Tannehill was at Texas A&M. IMO, considerably better. What I would like to see is EJ play at the level that Russell Wilson played at as a rookie. As a longtime close observer of college football, I can say that Manuel is at least as good of a prospect as Wilson was.

IMO, it is simply easier for these young QB's to transition to the NFL than it used to be for a number of reasons ranging from pro-preparedness at the college level to the fact that the NFL is a far less violent place for QB's and WR's than it used to be.

I expect EJ to continue the trend of college QB's actually becoming better, relative to their competition, at the pro level. How soon he does that will make all the difference in terms of wins and losses.