Is Da'Rick Rogers this year's Vontaze Burfict?

Good comparison. But remember that what is in question is Rodgers ability to stay on the field due to his off the field antics. I always think you can take on one guy who has talent but a bit of a knucklehead now and again. You don't want a locker room full of guys like that but if you got a good locker room you can take on one guy in exchange for talent at a good value.

There's really no persuasive argument offered in the article to make us think Rogers will shine this year - though I hope you're right. What makes Rogers such a great NFL prospect? Superior body control? Hand-eye coordination? Route running? Speed? Elusiveness? Strength?

Somebody or another compared Rogers to Randy Moss and I hope that - on the field - the comparison proves justified. As of right now, I'm not expecting him to crack the starting lineup.

I have to give Coach Tuesday credit that was awesome, but let's be honest so far this kid has been impressive in camps. He is a free draft pick. I remember when Vontaze was called by Marvin Lewis, Marvin told him he would give him an opportunity but if he slipped once it was over. Vontaze didn't act up he played very well and shined. I think that was important.

Da'Rick Rogers has never really had that support, but at Tennessee Tech he has not had any problems. He was the guy that feel out the draft due to character. He will now get a shot to prove his worth. I feel he will shock everyone.

I wouldn't say vontaze slipped through the cracks - he was a train wreck that has simply made the most of his chance so far. He created the cracks and forced his way through them to get to his undrafted status.

So, yes? Because you SAID no, but you just described what a "yes" answer would be.

So, yes? Because you SAID no, but you just described what a "yes" answer would be.

My point was I think small school, or diamond in the rough when I hear slipped through the cracks not a guy that was a first round talent that had a huge volume of issues to make him undraftable in vontazes case drugs, getting out of shape, a temper, and more. Did Rodgers really slip through the cracks if 14 teams called to sign him immediately? He wasn't forgotten or never known or

There's really no persuasive argument offered in the article to make us think Rogers will shine this year - though I hope you're right. What makes Rogers such a great NFL prospect? Superior body control? Hand-eye coordination? Route running? Speed? Elusiveness? Strength?

Somebody or another compared Rogers to Randy Moss and I hope that - on the field - the comparison proves justified. As of right now, I'm not expecting him to crack the starting lineup.

If you're gonna make a ridiculous comparison, I think his game compares more to TO than Moss, albeit they both are ridiculous at this point

It was Pat Kirwan on Sirius XM (Moving the Chains) that made that comment when they visited Bills camp. He followed up that statement by saying how "thick" he was in the body. That statement made me think of TO, not Moss. In any case, Kirwan felt that he had the skill set to make the roster.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/pat-kirwan/22951661/bills-observations-in-qb-battle-prepared-rookie-manuel-looks-to-get-nod

Edited by I_want_2_BILL_Lieve

My point was I think small school, or diamond in the rough when I hear slipped through the cracks not a guy that was a first round talent that had a huge volume of issues to make him undraftable in vontazes case drugs, getting out of shape, a temper, and more. Did Rodgers really slip through the cracks if 14 teams called to sign him immediately? He wasn't forgotten or never known or

Yes, he slipped through the cracks. And a LOT of people called on Burfict, too. I'm assuming you don't know Da'Rick's story?

Edited by DStebb716

Perhaps SJ will tone this guys act down enough to be a useful addition for us. Take him under his wing and make him a family man. LOL! Honestly though if Stevie can get with him and straighten him out enough to avoid trouble this could be an incredible find.

I think physically Rogers reminds me a little bit of Dez Bryant and I like Rogers toughness (in the college video I've seen he took some pretty good hits but the ball never looked jarred) but he has to improve his route running

Are the Bills going to be in 3 WRs a lot? that's the impression I get but don't know, Stevie and then two out of Graham, Woods and Rodgers, -Goodwin is a given and probably will be featured as a returner, then maybe Hogan and Smith I think they are both pretty good on ST

The only way he doesn't make the roster is if he gets a DWI on the drive from St. John Fisher to Buffalo. First Team All-SEC guys are NFL players.

He and Woods are both absolute studs. It will be interesting to see who gets the most looks.

Woods. Without a doubt. I have high hopes for Rogers, but let's not forget who Woods is.

Yes, he slipped through the cracks. And a LOT of people called on Burfict, too. I'm assuming you don't know Da'Rick's story?

I'm well aware his story - again, my point was the phrase "slipped through the cracks" is very passive in my opinion - as if it wasnt their own choices or they didnt have teammates and coaches who would have been much happier with those talents fully contributing to their teams and fought to keep them contributing... Damond, no offense but your story grossly understates the issues vontaze had - even in the predraft lead up it wasnt just a failed drug test, he was out of shape, his measurables were a mess (ran a 5.1 40, for instance), word was his interviews were epic failures... That disregards how awful his final college season was. Likewise da'rick had a completely unmentioned knack for taking plays (and games) off. Both deserve to be taken to task for the behavior that got them where they were on draft day,

I've been a supporter of da'rick since before the draft and have followed his story for quite some time (dating back to his college recruitment) - what the two have in common are immense physical gifts and noteworthy attitude and drug issues that forced them to undrafted status. Vontaze has stayed out of trouble approximately one year, and truly we don't know what that amounts to off the field besides "hasn't been arrested, or failed a drug test" likewise da'rick. I love a good redemption story and hope we have one on our hands but both have a lot to prove.

Last up, and I know this sounds a bit curmudgeonly on my part (as if the rest hasn't), but the comparison between the two has been obvious and made for months. The second da'rick went undrafted the comparisons between the two first round talents that went undrafted were made by anyone and everyone discussing da'rick. He's not a sleeper - he's not a guy that might surprise - fans are already expecting him to be a contributor as long as his heads on straight and he doesn't mess up. With just a post id likely let it slide more or try to be less blunt but with it being a linked article I'm going to hold it to a bit higher of a standard and this one fell flat for me.

Edited by NoSaint

Not to rain on your parade, but there's not much analysis in your article.

"last year a knucklehead did well, so this year's knucklehead might do well also."

Is there something about their families, their support systems, their coaching, their particular brand of knuckleheadness (weed?) that lends itself to a fresh start (being not physically addictive, but merely psychologically addictive)? It seems to me the better comparison might be Burfict = Honey Badger (although I fully understand that burfict and Da'rick were undrafted and considered borderline undraftable).

Give me a little bit more to sink my teeth into.

Edited by maddenboy

Not to rain on your parade, but there's not much analysis in your article.

"last year a knucklehead did well, so this year's knucklehead might do well also."

Is there something about their families, their support systems, their coaching, their particular brand of knuckleheadness (weed?) that lends itself to a fresh start (being not physically addictive, but merely psychologically addictive)? It seems to me the better comparison might be Burfict = Honey Badger (although I fully understand that burfict and Da'rick were undrafted and considered borderline undraftable).

Give me a little bit more to sink my teeth into.

If I remember correctly, Damond even did quite a bit on burfict last year, so to have it characterized as simply a fight and a failed drug test seems especially frustrating as a reader. I'm pretty sure he knows better. It just comes across really poorly

Maddenboy I disagree, you cannot take anything away from Rogers. The kid is an SEC all american who made dumb decisions. He can play without a doubt.

MB doesn't disagree with that in his post- he asks what they have in common that makes you think that he will be able to overcome his past like burfict so far. Otherwise you simply said "these two guys both got in trouble enough to go undrafted but they are good at football" when you really boil it down.

I wonder if the Bills only gave him a one year contract ....if so, perhaps he will be gone if he can play. You never know how these situations will play out. I think a lot of tough decisions on what receivers to keep. If DeRick Rogers makes the roster, other well thought of talents will be gone. I am guessing he makes it if he stays straight....but, the Bills need players to stay longer term. The Free agent contract is probabily cheap.....but not long.

Vontaze problems were this:

He fought a player in the lockeroom, he fail a drug test at combine, he had 15 personal fouls in college, and he didn't take ownership when scouts ask him why he didn't perform well. That is all with Burfict. I covered him extremely hard

Da'Rick had over 10 failed urine tests, and was expelled for that. He was clean at Tenn. Tech

What is the difference? Not much, small issues to be honest.

You have players that are full pledged gang bangers, guys who have crazy charges on them and have been drug users and dealers. They tell you during the interviews

They are simple, tell us the truth and we won't hold it against you. I have watched them, and a team will disregard everything if your truthful.

No prospect has ever killed their chances more than Burfict. He was an idiot on & off the field. He then showed up out of shape & tested terrible before the draft. Good for him for playing well but it sort of amazing because he looked to be a lost cause.

I don't know the full story on Rogers. Hopefully, he was a kid who just liked green. I'm not counting on him but perhaps not getting drafted could be the best thing to ever happen to him. He's not the star anymore & any slip up can cost him a lot of money. Here's hoping for the best.

I'm well aware his story - again, my point was the phrase "slipped through the cracks" is very passive in my opinion - as if it wasnt their own choices or they didnt have teammates and coaches who would have been much happier with those talents fully contributing to their teams and fought to keep them contributing... Damond, no offense but your story grossly understates the issues vontaze had - even in the predraft lead up it wasnt just a failed drug test, he was out of shape, his measurables were a mess (ran a 5.1 40, for instance), word was his interviews were epic failures... That disregards how awful his final college season was. Likewise da'rick had a completely unmentioned knack for taking plays (and games) off. Both deserve to be taken to task for the behavior that got them where they were on draft day,

I've been a supporter of da'rick since before the draft and have followed his story for quite some time (dating back to his college recruitment) - what the two have in common are immense physical gifts and noteworthy attitude and drug issues that forced them to undrafted status. Vontaze has stayed out of trouble approximately one year, and truly we don't know what that amounts to off the field besides "hasn't been arrested, or failed a drug test" likewise da'rick. I love a good redemption story and hope we have one on our hands but both have a lot to prove.

Last up, and I know this sounds a bit curmudgeonly on my part (as if the rest hasn't), but the comparison between the two has been obvious and made for months. The second da'rick went undrafted the comparisons between the two first round talents that went undrafted were made by anyone and everyone discussing da'rick. He's not a sleeper - he's not a guy that might surprise - fans are already expecting him to be a contributor as long as his heads on straight and he doesn't mess up. With just a post id likely let it slide more or try to be less blunt but with it being a linked article I'm going to hold it to a bit higher of a standard and this one fell flat for me.

I didn't read any of this, but I just wanted to let you know that the only reason I used the "cracks" analogy is because you used it. You said Vontaze created the cracks himself, which is exactly what Da'Rick did.

I didn't read any of this, but I just wanted to let you know that the only reason I used the "cracks" analogy is because you used it. You said Vontaze created the cracks himself, which is exactly what Da'Rick did.

Agree fully, and why I used it is because Damond used it - from what we know vontaze was far more determined to mess his life up though so I used him as the primary example of why I thought slipped was silly and overly dismissive of their issues.... Wasnt trying to let da'rick off just because I didnt mention him in the post, vontaze was just such an easy example

Edited by NoSaint

Vontaze problems were this:

He fought a player in the lockeroom, he fail a drug test at combine, he had 15 personal fouls in college, and he didn't take ownership when scouts ask him why he didn't perform well. That is all with Burfict. I covered him extremely hard

And of course being overweight, running a 5.1 forty. Being a guy that didnt follow assignments on the field shooting for highlights.... And the fact that you listed numorous major issues and finished with "that is all." The dude assembled a huge laundry list. I know you like him personally but it's not good integrity to ignore the issues if your going to be putting out articles on him.

Edited by NoSaint

And of course being overweight, running a 5.1 forty. Being a guy that didnt follow assignments on the field shooting for highlights.... And the fact that you listed numorous major issues and finished with "thats is all." The dude assembled a huge laundry list. I know you like him personally but it's not good integrity to ignore the issues if your going to be putting out articles on him.

"he didn't take ownership when scouts asked him why he didn't perform well"

Are you grading Damonds post now?

In the Rogers interview with Hannah she asked him about cars. he said he doesn't own one and didn't think it was necessary unless he had a ferarri ro something. If he does make it I hope the Money doesn't make him turn stupid.

"he didn't take ownership when scouts asked him why he didn't perform well"

Are you grading Damonds post now?

When they are linking to an article he wrote for his website I am, already stated in this thread, far more critical of the content.

"that is all with Burfict" can be interpreted in different ways.

When he's knowingly leaving things out of his article, and minimizing the stuff he does include... Well, I don't much care how you interpret that one line. It comes across as Damond being really excited that the biggest guy he's had has worked out so far and that coupling with the board that's most embraced him has a guy that has issues this year.... so in my opinion he wrote a lazy comparison as a fan of burfict and someone who thinks this will be easy clicks for his website instead of trying to bring new or insightful content....

Like I said, as a post I'd maybe just add the extra info and disregard calling out the lack of... Well... Just about anything meaningful, but when it's a link to a story on his website I treat it like I would a link to any other source, and the source on this one is lacking. No harm meant to Damond, hopefully the feedback helps him down the line. He clearly really likes what he's doing and if it was a homerun piece I'd give him props. Hopefully the next is.

This ones lacking content- facts that are widely known, its making the comparison but giving little info as to why da'rick is likely going to follow in the footsteps of the guy he's being compared to beyond "he's also good at football wasnt drafted and isn't in a gang" and it has a bunch of throw away lines like da'rick being a model student at Tennessee tech without really anything backing them up.

His problems were minimal compared to some there Saint. Your title fits well, but I see your point. While I don't feel I left out a lot of what Tez did wrong, I do feel that Da'Rick had the same amount of problems. To be honest, teams will look at multiple failed drug tests worse than a person who is not working out. If you go back and look, Vontaze was given an award for the preseason of his senior year, for the most fit and best gym guy on the team. He admitted in a story and to the media that he took his chances for granted because he had no one to really push him. That is not good, but at the end of they day. The guy is a good guy, he was just given a bad rap. It's ok, you can be upset No Saint, I understand but at the end of the day. You will become a huge Da'Rick Rogers fan.

His problems were minimal compared to some there Saint. Your title fits well, but I see your point. While I don't feel I left out a lot of what Tez did wrong, I do feel that Da'Rick had the same amount of problems. To be honest, teams will look at multiple failed drug tests worse than a person who is not working out. If you go back and look, Vontaze was given an award for the preseason of his senior year, for the most fit and best gym guy on the team. He admitted in a story and to the media that he took his chances for granted because he had no one to really push him. That is not good, but at the end of they day. The guy is a good guy, he was just given a bad rap. It's ok, you can be upset No Saint, I understand but at the end of the day. You will become a huge Da'Rick Rogers fan.

After the draft there was a radio show in which an NFL analyst was asked why no team would take a gamble with a low draft pick on such a talented player such as Rogers. The analyst stated that many teams had him in for a pre-draft interview and to put it mildly he didn't interview very well. It is not unusal to draft "smokers" but not only was he a multiple repeat offender but after his interviews most of the teams didn't feel that he had the maturity to handle his troubling issues.

Don't get me wrong I want him to succeed. If he actualizes his physical talents I will not only happy that the team benefits but also that he as an individual benefits. With regard to his drug use is he designated as a one strike drug user before he even plays his first professional game? If that is the case then I understand why so many teams didn't want to have anything to do with him in the draft.