Mark Anderson released.

Kevin

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

During the Nix "Regime" 2010-2012

UFA / Re-signed players not with team

Dwan Edwards: Signed as an UFA to a 4 year 18M contract March 2010 (cut September 2012)

Cornell Green: Signed as an UFA to a 3 year 9M contract March 2010 (cut November 2010)

Chris Kelsay: Re-signed to a 5 year 28.2M contract extension September 2010 (retired February 2013)

George Wilson: Re-signed to a 3 year 7M contract March 2011 (cut February 2013)

Drayton Florence: Re-signed to a 3 year 15M contract July 2011 (cut May 2012)

Tyler Thigpen: Signed as an UFA to a 3 year 11M contract July 2011 (cut March 2013)

Nick Barnett: Signed as an UFA to a 3 year 12M contract July 2011 (cut February 2013)

Ryan Fitzpatrick: Re-signed to a 6 year 59M contract October 2011 (cut March 2013)

Vince Young: Signed as an UFA to a 1 year 2M contract May 2012 (cut August 2012)

Mark Anderson: Signed as an UFA to a 4 year 20M contract March 2012 (cut January 2013)

UFA / Re-signings

Kyle Williams: Re-signed to a 6 year 33.6M contract extension July 2011 (2013 starter)

Brad Smith: Signed as an UFA to a 4 year 15M contract July 2011 (potential cut 2013)

Erik Pears: Re-signed to a 4 year 9.8M contract December 2011 (likely 2013 starter)

Rian Lindell: Re-signed to a 4 year 10M contract extension February 2012 (potential cut 2013)

Steve Johnson: Re-signed to a 5 year 36.25M contract extension March 2012 (2013 starter)

Mario Williams: Signed as an UFA to a 6 year 96M contract March 2012 (potential re-structuring 2014)

Scott Chandler, Re-signed to a 2 year 5.5M contract March 2012 (2013 starter)

Fred Jackson: Re-signed to a 3 year 10.8M contract extension May 2012 (2013 primary backup)

Kraig Urbik: Re-signed to a 4 year 13.3M contract extension December 2012 (2013 starter)

Nix decided to sign 19 players during his tenure. 10 are no longer on the roster and departed before their contract was up, meaning his hit rate was about 50%. That's a far cry from the batting 1.000 you mentioned, but still well above the .333 winning percentage his teams recorded. If Brad Smith and Lindell are cut, well, then Nix has so far hit on about 40% of his signings.

Your numbers mean nothing unless you put them in context and compare them to other GMSs.

This is true.

Yes, I neglected to include Pears and Chandler. I will update.

Also you (and everyone else) forgot Chas Rheingoldstaten.

This place is so disappointing sometimes.

they said you couldn't keep a secret . did i listen ? nooooo

well this is just great. if i could fire you i would right now you.. you .......

nanker !!

That freaking Nanker. He is a pet peeve unto himself.

Other pet peeve that arose in this topic: don't say "multiple" as a synonym for 2, unless you're bragging about your sexual prowess.

Can we agree that 2 is 2 and that multiple means more than 2?

Thank you.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000220115/article/what-we-learned-from-nfl-training-camps-tuesday

3. The Buffalo Bills released defensive end Mark Anderson after one disastrous season. We weren't expecting much from Anderson (neither was I), but it's hard to see where this team will get its outside pass rush. Manny Lawson and Jerry Hughes are the top options to start opposite Mario Williams.

To me, it's not a surprise he got cut. The surprise is the timing. Why not bring them all in to camp and see who's got it? The only logical conclusion, imo, is slow recovery from injury.

My thoughts as well. If he was cut for not fitting the scheme or to make room for someone else it would've happened long before this.

It's not different. We have seen this in preseason on multiple occasions.

Dwan Edwards was mentioned in this thread. He was cut at the end of camp and went on to play very well in Carolina last season, putting up 6 sacks and earning praise for his performance. Edwards didn't seem like a great fit in Wannstedts upfield attack but they discounted what he brought to the run defense.....and obviously he outsacked the more heralded KW and DD. He was clearly good enough to make the team, his release was a cost/use decision. They didn't think they were going to use him that much so he wasn't worth the cost.

How can we forget the Langston Walker nonsense on the eve of the 2009 season? There is no way that the guy that you just moved to left tackle the week before the season starts is suddenly not even good enough to make the roster at all. The OL was an absolute train-wreck that year. Walker wasn't great but the Bills at one point that season were starting the least experienced OL since the merger. Their struggles alone made watching the team very difficult that year.

These moves were economically motivated at a time of the year when the economics should be taking a backseat to performance on the field.

The Bills took a cap hit cutting Anderson, but they saved actual money by not paying him his salary this year so it's not without economic merit.

I get that the team doesn't want to waste money.....but bring your damn team to camp for chrissake. Don't get there and then start thinking about who you can skate by without to save a few bucks. We deserve better than that. I mean what if Mario Williams goes down......where are you going to get a pass rusher of any pedigree for that kind of money?

Edwards outplayed Williams and Dareus last year.

Happens all the time to vetarans at the end of camp. They are cut and resigned a week or two or maybe more into the season when their salary is no longer guaranteed for the year.

Anderson was rather unheralded coming out of Alabama. He put together a couple of statistically productive years, others were not so great. I don't know a ton about him, other than he was, when healthy, a fairly good pass rusher. I would like to know more about when the minimum spending rules take hold. There is no reason I can find for the Bills to NOT absorb the full cap hit now. If they do not, I am going to view this move as a possible hybrid version of "cash to cap."

Blatnick is solid vs the run and more versatile than Anderson? An undrafted FA that hasn't played a regular season down in the NFL is solid vs the run and more versatile than a guy whos has multiple 10+ sack season? Interesting.

Anderson had just two seasons with double digit sacks. And these were a bit apart. One in 2006 with the Bears and the other was 2011 with Pats. He didn't have much production in the other years .

It's not different. We have seen this in preseason on multiple occasions.

Dwan Edwards was mentioned in this thread. He was cut at the end of camp and went on to play very well in Carolina last season, putting up 6 sacks and earning praise for his performance. Edwards didn't seem like a great fit in Wannstedts upfield attack but they discounted what he brought to the run defense.....and obviously he outsacked the more heralded KW and DD. He was clearly good enough to make the team, his release was a cost/use decision. They didn't think they were going to use him that much so he wasn't worth the cost.

How can we forget the Langston Walker nonsense on the eve of the 2009 season? There is no way that the guy that you just moved to left tackle the week before the season starts is suddenly not even good enough to make the roster at all. The OL was an absolute train-wreck that year. Walker wasn't great but the Bills at one point that season were starting the least experienced OL since the merger. Their struggles alone made watching the team very difficult that year.

These moves were economically motivated at a time of the year when the economics should be taking a backseat to performance on the field.

The Bills took a cap hit cutting Anderson, but they saved actual money by not paying him his salary this year so it's not without economic merit.

I get that the team doesn't want to waste money.....but bring your damn team to camp for chrissake. Don't get there and then start thinking about who you can skate by without to save a few bucks. We deserve better than that. I mean what if Mario Williams goes down......where are you going to get a pass rusher of any pedigree for that kind of money?

Edwards outplayed Williams and Dareus last year.

Don't forget the Lee Evans trade, which Gailey opposed and supposedly was livid about.

It seems like every August, Littman insists on trimming several million dollars from the accounts payable ledger. This happens every single year, to a team with no depth.

Should have used that money on Levitre.

Andy was going to go to the top bidder. We've seen enough of this now to predict he'll be cut in a couple years BECAUSE of his enormous salary. That would have happened here as well, if we were top bidder for him.

Don't forget the Lee Evans trade, which Gailey opposed and supposedly was livid about.

Why would you cite one of the best moves in recent Bills history to bolster your point?

The Evans trade was an absolute home run from the Bills' perspective.

Why would you cite one of the best moves in recent Bills history to bolster your point?

The Evans trade was an absolute home run from the Bills' perspective.

Agreed. Wrong choice as proof of roster trimming. Lee Evans was a one-trick pony (albeit a good one at that) and his status of being out of the league a year after the trade is a good indicator that it was about talent evaluation and not about the money. It is the same with Mark Anderson. Is he worth 5M a year for the result he produced....The answer was no. Did the coaches see anything different in him compared to the other OLBs...The answer was no...Those two answers made it easy for the Bills to let him go.

Shows you what kind of a coach "Mega Mind" at least at evaluation, really was (although I did like his personality). I am sort of happy Anderson is gone and guess that it means we won't have a Kelsey type of end/OLB to B word about this year.

Edited by bowery4

This is true.

We can debate all day how successful the team is in signing good players versus others clubs. It's a weak attempt at conflating the argument by those who would rather not criticize a "new" regime. But the record is what it is, and winning one third of your games means your personnel decisions were bad.

All the while, there are common themes developing between the new and previous "regimes." Cutting players before camp, not being able to sign All-Pro caliber talent. New coaches, GM's, etc. It's all symbolic until they begin proving they are willing to do what it takes to win.

It seems like every August, Littman insists on trimming several million dollars from the accounts payable ledger. This happens every single year, to a team with no depth.

I'm pretty sure you're mistaken about this. Gailey never seemed to like Evans and was very lukewarm about the receiver any time he was asked to publicly comment on him.

Also Nix seemed to go out of his way for the most part as far as accommodating Gailey's personnel desires so I seriously doubt the Bills traded Evans away against Gailey's wishes.

We can debate all day how successful the team is in signing good players versus others clubs. It's a weak attempt at conflating the argument by those who would rather not criticize a "new" regime. But the record is what it is, and winning one third of your games means your personnel decisions were bad.

All the while, there are common themes developing between the new and previous "regimes." Cutting players before camp, not being able to sign All-Pro caliber talent. New coaches, GM's, etc. It's all symbolic until they begin proving they are willing to do what it takes to win.

Just pointing out the truth that a simple audit without context proves virtually nothing.

It goes without saying that the Bills have not made great personnel choices, nor have they made good coaching hires.

In an aside, I wrote a while back that there will be surprise cuts as there are every year, particularly when a new regime takes over. This will not be the last surprise cut. I also agree that it's not so much the player as the timing that's the surprise.

Finally, the Anderson signing was a feel good signing that seemed to make sense when it happened. People wanted to accept it and feel good about it. But I remember someone posted a "Mark Anderson highlights" video from YouTube a month or so after the signing and you could see that he was basically a stronger Aaron Maybin. All of Anderson's sacks in that video came from speed and hustle and virtually every sack in that video resulted from the QB holding the ball too long. It was clear from that video that Anderson was the proverbial one-trick pony.