Trade Byrd

Why should anyone flame this? It's logical given the seeming intractable nature of the negotiations. It would be nice to see what they have in A Williams and the rookie safeties they drafted this year before trading him but given Whaley's history with a team that was never shy about letting some damn good players look elsewhere, I can see him taking a 1st before then.

What's interesting to me is that all those granting Byrd superstar status just don't seem convinced that he's worth a #1 pick. I wonder why that is.

GO BILLS!!!

Gotta sign him first, right?

And next to RB, Safety is one of the least valued positions in the draft, making it less likely a team would give up a first rounder. Not saying they wouldnt for an up-and-coming young All-Pro safety. Just that if he were a WR or LT or OLB it would be much easier.

For 1 #1. It's obvious he does not want to be here- my guess he wants to be in Chicago. That's not too steep. Trade both # 1's, and move up to draft Jadeveon Clowney. I rest my case.

Flame away as only this board can!

He cannot be traded unless he signs

There's no indication that he doesn't want to be here, and less than no info connecting him to Chicago

I doubt anyone will give us a #1 pick for him

Why would anyone pass on Clowney?

Other than that, it makes sense :D

For 1 #1. It's obvious he does not want to be here- my guess he wants to be in Chicago. That's not too steep. Trade both # 1's, and move up to draft Jadeveon Clowney. I rest my case.

Its obvious? Name the players who were happy getting the F tag. Name any players that signed their F tag immediately. Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Gotta sign him first, right?

And next to RB, Safety is one of the least valued positions in the draft, making it less likely a team would give up a first rounder. Not saying they wouldnt for an up-and-coming young All-Pro safety. Just that if he were a WR or LT or OLB it would be much easier.

Yep, gotta sign him first. however, People don't trade #1's for safeties, i don't care who they are. Everyone needs to accept the fact that his agent is getting him both the money and out of this franchise, both good moves for Byrd. The guys in the prime of his career and he is with what looks like an expansion team.

Byrd would not be a #1 Rd pick. He would be 2nd at best. Its not that he is not elite. It is that a 1st rounder will likely be a guy you want to get to the HOF. Unless a team desperately needs a S to get them over the edge then no one makes the trade. What team is a safety a way from a championship?

So today is pitchfork day??

Calm down, witch-hunters. This happens every year, it's just kinda new to the Bills. He may grumble publicly, but he's making top $$ via the Tag and there's still AT LEAST another season after this one, if the Bills so choose.

Wow! Really?!

Look, we're all tired of the protracted nature of the negotiations. But it's protracted, not contentious - there's a difference.

To their credit, neither the Bills nor Byrd has negotiated in the press - that leaves EVERYONE (you, me & the press) with nothing but our imaginations to go by. At this time of year that's a dangerous thing - minds running wild with speculation while our favorite team is trying to amass the pieces to a successful roster and team.

Byrd is a pro bowl caliber safety or very close to it. He's a 27ish yr old young man, who, at this unique time in his life, is on the cusp of signing a contract that will leave him set for life. If I'm in his shoes - I'm not in a hurry. (I don't like it, I want him here. But I get it.)

I can't say more any better than Joe Buscaglia does here.

So today is pitchfork day??

Calm down, witch-hunters. This happens every year, it's just kinda new to the Bills. He may grumble publicly, but he's making top $$ via the Tag and there's still AT LEAST another season after this one, if the Bills so choose.

Good point. Plus there are seven other franchised players who have not signed long term deals. NFL Total Access stated that Ryan Clady, (The only player besides Byrd not to sign his tender) is the only player close to signing a lomg term deal before the deadline on Monday

I don't think you'll get flamed for this. I just question what makes it so obvious to you that Byrd doesn't want to be here?

As others have stated, he needs to sign before he is traded.

My gut tells me that he does want to stay in Buffalo, but that he is also smart enough to get as much money as he can. This is the NFL and this is America.

The Bills did the right thing, in my opinion, by not paying an OG an OT salary. That gives me confidence that they will do the right thing - monetarily.

One position doesn't make or break a team.

The Jets had Revis in his prime and won as many rings as the Bills did during those years.

That said, I want Byrd and I think he could be a top 5 guy at his position. He doesn't deserve to be the highest paid, but he deserves better than top 10, IMO.

Enjoy the quality commentary that only this board can provide.

Go Bills!!

Byrd wants to get paid....big time money. He will do that in Buffalo, or any other NFL city, doesn't matter. He has connections here, but could make the same elsewhere. This is all about the MONEY. He won't take a contract he doesn't like to stay in Buffalo. I agree he is not a #1 athletically, but, he has great reads and anticipation and is at least a journeyman on his weaker skills. He is a valuable commodity. He will likely play in Buffalo this year under a one year deal, but will try to extract a promise that they won't tag him again next year. If Buffalo does not give this assurance, he might be a November show up guy like Vincent Jackson was in SD a couple of years ago. Personally, I think they need to keep the money to get Spiller to reup when his contract is done, and that will be a whole lot of money folks.

the 49ers

How important was that safety in their SuperBowl? The FS is not the impact player most people think he is on the average defense. Byrd is a player you can design plays around. I cannot imagine him going to a team like SF and contributing the same way. He has the liability of Whitner in front of him who is a run first pass second guy. George Wilson helped Byrd a lot because he was a smart player. I am very interested to see how Byrd is with a different SS in the game with him. He will have to be smart.

No debating that Byrd is a top 5 safety at this point in time. But what is that worth? Like RB or OG, safety seems to be an easy position to replace. You need good players at the position in Pettine's scheme but it is a position that you cannot afford to overpay for. It is not a QB or pass rusher. With that being said if you cannot sign Byrd let him play under the tag this year and tag him again next season. At this time next year (once these young guys have developed some) if you cannot reach a long term deal, explore your trade options. If you could get him for 5 years - $34M with $16M guaranteed than do it, but my sense is that he is looking for more $ and more guaranteed $. The guy is a really good player (elite at his position) that I'd love to have but you cannot overpay for a safety.

How important was that safety in their SuperBowl? The FS is not the impact player most people think he is on the average defense. Byrd is a player you can design plays around. I cannot imagine him going to a team like SF and contributing the same way. He has the liability of Whitner in front of him who is a run first pass second guy. George Wilson helped Byrd a lot because he was a smart player. I am very interested to see how Byrd is with a different SS in the game with him. He will have to be smart.

While I appreciate your larger point here, Wilson was no help to anyone last season. Perhaps the worst SS play I've seen on a play by play, game to game basis. He was abysmal.

GO BILLS!!!

No debating that Byrd is a top 5 safety at this point in time. But what is that worth? Like RB or OG, safety seems to be an easy position to replace. You need good players at the position in Pettine's scheme but it is a position that you cannot afford to overpay for. It is not a QB or pass rusher. With that being said if you cannot sign Byrd let him play under the tag this year and tag him again next season. At this time next year (once these young guys have developed some) if you cannot reach a long term deal, explore your trade options. If you could get him for 5 years - $34M with $16M guaranteed than do it, but my sense is that he is looking for more $ and more guaranteed $. The guy is a really good player (elite at his position) that I'd love to have but you cannot overpay for a safety.

I wouldn't lump RB in with the other interchangeable positions. Depending on the RB of course. While Spiller isn't a Peterson just yet, he is on a sharp ascent. Put another way, he is far closer to superstar player than Byrd has ever been or will be at free safety. Spiller is a threat on EVERY offensive play. Same just can't be said for Byrd on the defensive side of things.

GO BILLS!!!

I disagree. I think if the 49ers didn't have whitner in the game, they would've won the Super Bowl. He was torched the entire 1st half. They drafted Eric Reid in the 1st and can play him at SS and Byrd at FS. As of now, they still have whitner starting and that sucks for them. Getting whitner out of the starting lineup is a key to them winning the title IMO. The problem with the niners acquiring him isn't them them giving up a pick, it's fitting him under the cap with such a young talented roster.

He cannot be traded unless he signs

There's no indication that he doesn't want to be here, and less than no info connecting him to Chicago

I doubt anyone will give us a #1 pick for him

Why would anyone pass on Clowney?

Other than that, it makes sense :D

Teams may pass on Clowney in order to get themselves a QB. Who's picking 1st? Who knows, but if I was picking 1st and had Blaine gabbert, Henne, Weedon, Matt Flynn, Sanchez, Carson Palmer, ponder, locker as my starting QB, it would be tough to pass on a talent like Bridgewater.

I'm sick of all this Byrd talk. And why do we need another thread about the same topic that's being discussed ad nauseum in the other Byrd thread?

ding ding ding...

It's multiple added topics each day on this. People think their take deserves a different title. Or they are too lazy to read through the other Byrd posts.

Either way, I'm surprised this one has made it this far. I expect a merge or a lock within a few hours though.

Any team in the NFL can sign Byrd today.

There is nothing stopping them.

The Bills Receive a 1st and 3rd as compensation.

If a team wanted Byrd they could have him for the price of the second highest paid Saftey in the NFL and a 1st and a 3rd pick to the Buffalo Bills up until Monday.

After Monday Byrd can only sign a one year deal.

With the Bills starting yet another rebuild they may not even have to trade up for Clowney

I am for trading Byrd as I don't think he is a good as most do. Good player but not elite

Any team in the NFL can sign Byrd today.

There is nothing stopping them.

The Bills Receive a 1st and 3rd as compensation.

If a team wanted Byrd they could have him for the price of the second highest paid Saftey in the NFL and a 1st and a 3rd pick to the Buffalo Bills up until Monday.

After Monday Byrd can only sign a one year deal.

I wonder why no other team has done just that.

GO BILLS!!!

I wouldn't lump RB in with the other interchangeable positions. Depending on the RB of course. While Spiller isn't a Peterson just yet, he is on a sharp ascent. Put another way, he is far closer to superstar player than Byrd has ever been or will be at free safety. Spiller is a threat on EVERY offensive play. Same just can't be said for Byrd on the defensive side of things.

GO BILLS!!!

I hear you and agree that they can be game changers (and worth paying in a couple of cases). I was approaching more from the point that teams think that RBs are easy to find. In hindsight, I'll bet that the Titans wish that they didn't tie all that $ up in Chris Johnson. I think that he is very good but you can find someone that will give you 90% of that production for 20% of the $. The same for OG and safety.

I'm sick of all this Byrd talk. And why do we need another thread about the same topic that's being discussed ad nauseum in the other Byrd thread?

because the OP had vast new insights on the situation not covered in the 46 page thread on the subject

Because the original owner of the thread has not closed it and it has spawned lots of side discussions so that is why it has been discussed ad nausea in other thread.

I wonder why no other team has done just that.

GO BILLS!!!

Because:

a. they do not want to do Bills negotiations for them and Bills can match

b. he is not worth a 1st and 3rd draft pick AND the associated costs of signing

Take your pick