Pat Kirwan's Bills TC preview

Interesting that he questions Carrington. I think Alex is going to have a huge year.

I scratched my head at that too. There are a bunch of under the radar guys like that on this team. Question is who else is going to break out this year? Bradham? Graham? As much as Spiller was held back last year, he could hit 2000 all purpose yards. Will Mario bust out? How about Kyle Williams healthy for a whole season or Fred Jackson for that matter. Mark Anderson?

There is talent on this team and even depth in a lot of key areas. Really looking forward to this season.

I have not even read it yet and agree with everything Kirwan said. If you can take it, because it's a lot to digest, Pat Kirwan and Gil Brandt doing shows together on Sirius NFLN is the most in depth and complete show there is - they make Madden and Summerall or any of the best look like HS commentators.

I am surprised that Mark Anderson was not mentioned as on the bubble. He showed very little prior to injury.

I think he is getting a pass from everyone, myself included, because everyone showed very little prior to his injury. At that point of the season we sucked.

I didn't realize Lawson was already a lock at ROLB. Given our LB play of the past few seasons, I think EVERYBODY has to earn their spot. I, too, am surprised with Carrington on the bubble. We have more DL than we can keep and the talent and skill level appears very high. If this is true, we will be killer on Defense because Alex shown bright in a dismal season last year.

It's interesting to me how non-committal his evaluation really is. I'll have to see if I can find some of his evaluations of other teams to calibrate.

I don't know Pat Kirwan from Pat Moran but this article was pretty superficial. I guess most of these one page summaries are but there really are no new insights in it.

Pat Kirwan, unlike a bunch of media pundits, actually knows something about football having been a pro scout and NFL assistant as well as a HS and college coach. His book "Take your eye off the ball" is one of the more interesting Fan Football publications - the average fan can really improve his/her football acumen by reading it. I think. I haven't seen my personal copy in about 3 years, I loaned it to a guy who loaned it to a guy who....yeah, it's gone. Kirwan strikes me as more offense than defense oriented, which is a little curious given that he was a defensive assistant for the Jets.

Yeah, I agree, no new insights. I think these 1 page summaries are written more for the edification of general NFL fans who start from knowing nothing at all about the team and its personnel.

I'm glad he mentioned the issue at QB. I have high hopes for EJ Manuel, but I don't see where they are going to find 24 touchdown passes on this team this season. Certainly not from Kolb.

I don't know Pat Kirwan from Pat Moran but this article was pretty superficial. I guess most of these one page summaries are but there really are no new insights in it.

A national sportswriter is a jack-of-all-clubs, master of none. But Kirwan is better than most.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Kirwan lost me with the last section "Something to Prove". He thinks its a sep backward to lose an experienced GM, does he know that all of Buddy Nix GM experience came on his three years at Buffalo?

Chan Is a loss? He was an OC not a head coach, by his own admission he didn't pay attention to the defense.

Fitz forced the Bills hand so he could find a better situation. He knew his days as a starter with the Bills were numbered at best. He couldn't stay. I don't think Kolb will start but I think the Bills are better of with Kolb as a back up than Fitz. Fitz's presents could have created controversy.

I agree that Kirwan knows football...and i agree that a one page camp summary isn't going to reveal much more than the obvious...but i do think the national football media will set a very low expectation for the bills...frankly they all got scorched last year by setting the Bills up as playoff possible...there is no upside painting the bills as anything but a work in progress and under new management...as a fan i think they got the stuff to surprise...unlike last year...this year may be a pleasent surprise...

I have not even read it yet and agree with everything Kirwan said. If you can take it, because it's a lot to digest, Pat Kirwan and Gil Brandt doing shows together on Sirius NFLN is the most in depth and complete show there is - they make Madden and Summerall or any of the best look like HS commentators.

Yes I listen to Pat Kirwan as well. Dude knows his stuff more than anyone else I've listened to on the radio. I guess Jaws is up there as well.