Odd places you've met players

Had a very unexpected encounter this weekend, and thought I'd share and see who's got their own weird tales to tell. I spent the last weekend working a festival in Delaware. While walking across the stage during one band's set, someone stops me, looks at my hat (wearing a Bills hat), and asks if I'm from Buffalo. I told him I was from Rochester, but my family is from Buffalo and I'm a big Bills fan. He gives me a big smile, shakes my hand, gives me his card, and introduces himself as Tony - as in Tony King. Maybe not a huge name in terms of the Bills' history, but I thought that was pretty cool (and entirely unexpected). You never know who you'll bump into! Who have you run into out of the blue? Did they spot you, or did you spot them?

Not to denigrate your story at all but I couldn't recall Tony King. Apparently he played part of one season in the NFL… 7 games for the Bills in 1967.

Met Bruce Smith at the Dallas airport. He was running and I called out "Hey Bruce!" He looked back and said "Have you seen Thurman Thomas?" Apparently he was supposed to meet him there. Made me laugh.

LOL

Met Joe D years ago in TOPS check out line in East Aurora--his ketchup was next to our cereal....

Sounds like there's a possibility you never washed that cereal box… or you know, something like that.

no but I know where his helmet is

:lol:

I watched Jerome Harrison try to break my brothers phone/hand after he snapped a picture of him one night out at a bar.

The Cleveland running back? I overdrafted him in fantasy football one year. He shoulda been grateful someone wanted a picture of him.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New Orleans for St Patty's day when losman would be heading into his second year...me and a bud are sitting at a bar and my friend had his bills hat on. Two beers and two shots come down for us and the bartender says its from a friend from Buffalo. We didn't know anyone there so we were looking around to see who it was....Losman comes up behind us and says hello and asked if we were having a good time. I also had a conversation later on with Elijah Wood at the same bar.

I was fortunate enough to go to the Bills vs Cowboys SB in Pasadena in 93. I took a piss next to Howie Long. I did not say anything well because i was taking a piss. ha

I also attended the first ever Jim Kelly football camp back in the day. I remeber my flag football team sucked. So one night Jim came over and offered to QB for a play. i was the center and snapped to Jim. Jim proceeded to get picked off by a 12 y.o. I turned around and grinned at him and he told me to shut up(while he was laughing).

Had a very unexpected encounter this weekend, and thought I'd share and see who's got their own weird tales to tell.

I spent the last weekend working a festival in Delaware. While walking across the stage during one band's set, someone stops me, looks at my hat (wearing a Bills hat), and asks if I'm from Buffalo. I told him I was from Rochester, but my family is from Buffalo and I'm a big Bills fan. He gives me a big smile, shakes my hand, gives me his card, and introduces himself as Tony - as in Tony King.

Maybe not a huge name in terms of the Bills' history, but I thought that was pretty cool (and entirely unexpected). You never know who you'll bump into!

Who have you run into out of the blue? Did they spot you, or did you spot them?

Kind of ran into Jim Kelly at a Meatloaf concert at Memorial Auditorium in the early 90's. I was takin a wizzzz, he came in and used the urinal next to me. lol! He didn't wash his hands after he finished..... My friend and I got a good laugh out of that.

As I was going to a Chinese restaurant, I saw Brady, Kraft, the Hoodie and Goodell coming out of a gay bathhouse. All were commenting that Goodell was such a good pivot man and Goodell told them he would destroy the Spygate footage because the other there were such "kind lovers" and "incredibly small for having such huge egos."

PS: This is called a joke.

James Lofton and another player (I think it was C. Bennett) made an appearance at the car dealership where I used to work in East Rochester. Either '89 or '90; I know it was before the Bills made their first trip to a superbowl.

I was behind Ryan Miller in line at Wegmans on Amherst St in Buffalo. I didn't realize it was him at first, I was just like this guy in front of me is really tall and skinny. Then people kept coming up to him to get autographs and I was like ohhh It's Ryan Miller. I felt bad for him. He was just a normal dude like myself that just threw a hat on and ran to the store to get some food quick. I would hate it if I had to deal with people coming up to me while I'm trying to buy milk and sandwich meat. What's the point of getting an autograph on a piece of paper anyways? Who cares? People should leave these guys alone when they see them around town. They are just people like you and me.

After playing a round of golf at Harvest Hill me and my buddy went to the Big Tree Inn for some beers and wings. Walk into the bar on a quiet Wednesday afternoon, sit down look to my left and I realize I'm sitting next to Ruben Brown. He was a cool guy, did some shots of Patron with him

Also happened to be at the Sundowner the same night as Andre Reed which i thought was cool, but thats Man Code to not bother another guy while he's at the ballet so didn't even make an attempt to meet him

I met Steve Tasker at Mcdonalds..was kind of an !@#$ though..also met Jevon Kearse @ radioshack in pompano beach, florida. Awesome dude..HUGE hands. He was in town for Tim Couch's wedding.

I have met tons of Bills players over the years, but rarely, that I can recall, in what would be considered "odd places".

Closest I can think of is sitting at a Bills bar I used to frequent in Austin and sitting next to Ahmad Baker, former Texas Longhorn, who had been let go by the Bills the year before...he still followed the team...also, similar experience with the great Kwam Cavil. Ditto for Fred Jacksons' father...was wearing a Fred Jackson jersey before they would have been trendy...

And, like you, ran into Jevon Kearse at a mall in Nashville while helping to open up a Tower Records store in that city.

My sister, who had a job at the DMV in Buffalo a few years back would always get me autographs when guys would come in..she told me that one day, JP Losman and Craig Nall both came in to get motorcycle liscences... said they were both very cool..

Edited by Buftex

When I was about 5 my Dad set up a meeting with Jim Kelly for all of us to meet him. Like an idiot though, I wanted to meet Bruce Smith and he wasnt there. So I was upset and wouldnt get in the picture. Jim tried to get me to go in the picture and actually chased me down the hall a bit but I still refused.

A week later a box showed up to our house with a signed football and a hand written note from Jim saying that no one had ever run away from him like that

What a dummy I was :doh:

One of my worst experiences was meeting Scott Norwood. Bills were doing autographs/holding practice at my local high school in 1987 (or maybe 88). I was 9 years old. Me and some other random kid went up to Norwood for his autograph (no one else in his line).

Norwood said, "I gotta go, so I only have time to sign one."

The other kid said, "my name is Scott, like you, and it's my birthday." (obviously, lying).

So, Norwood signed his paper and left.

He couldn't have taken 3 more seconds to sign for me too?

One of my worst experiences was meeting Scott Norwood. Bills were doing autographs/holding practice at my local high school in 1987 (or maybe 88). I was 9 years old. Me and some other random kid went up to Norwood for his autograph (no one else in his line).

Norwood said, "I gotta go, so I only have time to sign one."

The other kid said, "my name is Scott, like you, and it's my birthday." (obviously, lying).

So, Norwood signed his paper and left.

He couldn't have taken 3 more seconds to sign for me too?

That kid thinks well on his feet, eh?