Getting Sunday Ticket discounted or free

OK in 2 hours will be June 1st. Time to start the annual 20 page thread about what kind of a deal and how much everyone got off Sunday Ticket. I'm trying to decide if better to call now and see what I get or wait until closer to season. When do they offer more? Personally I'm looking for hardware of $$ off, want a mini Genie, but will settle for both.

Edited by Just Jack
fixed title

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking that the genie upgrade for free would be a good start. But the fine print about "additional fees" concerns me as in how much.

...2nd the rest of the MLB season for free would be nice and of course the old reliable free Showtime and Starz for a few months to make the other half happy.

OK in 2 hours will be June 1st. Time to start the annual 20 page thread about what kind of a deal and how much everyone got off Sunday Ticket. I'm trying to decide if better to call now and see what I get or wait until closer to season. When do they offer more? Personally I'm looking for hardware of $$ off, want a mini Genie, but will settle for both.

Just cancel your account for 30 days and start it again in your wife's name. Problem fixed, free Sunday ticket for one YEAR!

I can't get the service anymore since moving into a different apartment, but I know they now have other options for sunday ticket. Is anyone a non-subscriber to DTV but still ordering the ticket? If so, are you using a play station? Smart phone? Laptop?

Last year was the first year I didn't have the Sunday Ticket since it's inception. More so, many years ago, I dumped over $1800.00 into a BUD (big ugly dish) just to watch the Bills primarily. After 4 or 5 years of scanning the satellites to find the Bills including the last couple where all the games had moved to the Ku band they began scrambling them. The first few years I could get the Bills via my Bud and a Videocipher II descrambler to receive the Sunday Ticket, obviously before the evil empire (DirecTV - sorry Fez but they are) got exclusive rights to it. It cost $89.00 a year back then. When DTV gained exclusive rights, the BUD was retired (RIP old BUD). Stayed with DTV for years, but as an early adopter, I as able to use it for the Sunday Ticket only, no other programing (they stopped allowing this long ago but I remained grandfathered in) and last year was the first time I was completely unable to get DTV to cut even a dime off the price. Must have called a dozen times just to try a different rep, but my account was flagged - no discount. So I dropped it. My chief objection is with the cost of the basic programming continual rise in cost. Couple that with no ala carte options, I got fed up.

Recently, there again has been talk (John McCain) and forcing DTV, Dish, cable, to offer some form of "ala carte" services, but as has happened before, the lobbyists will win the day again, and turn this into yet another false hope. I don't need satellite music channels. Way too many better internet options exist for that. Far too great of a percentage (75% ?) of the channels are simply junk. With talk of DTV not pursuing exclusive rights for the Sunday Ticket in the near future, again I fear it's just more false hopes.

Which brings me full circle in in again remembering my BUD with great fondness. I paid only or what I wanted during the videocipher days, which was for 2-3 movies channels, a couple of children's channels, and ESPN, all for under $25.00 a quarter !!!! OTA took care of the rest of our viewing needs and we were extremely pleased.

I do admire much of today's technology used for Satellite services, but their business models leave me cold. Lastly, this isn't a Big Government letdown, it's a big business issue. An entire party and much of the the other are owned by big business and the truly wealthy. We don't get what Big Government wants, we get what those who stuff the crooks (politicians) pockets with cash want

I called to cancel because I wanted it for free and they wouldn't budge so I said Ok fine, cancel me. The rep thought I was joking but I was dead serious....Then I said, I don't care if I have to pay a $300 cancellation fee, I'm locked in for another 16 months paying you guys $2,240 so basically my cable provider is going to credit me $300 to cancel and then I won't have to pay you guys over $2240 for service. Tell them you get free Cable through your HOA (just lie)

About 2 hours later a rep called from DTV saying they are giving me ST for free and ST Max plus showtime for free for a year just to keep me....

I called to cancel because I wanted it for free and they wouldn't budge so I said Ok fine, cancel me. The rep thought I was joking but I was dead serious....Then I said, I don't care if I have to pay a $300 cancellation fee, I'm locked in for another 16 months paying you guys $2,240 so basically my cable provider is going to credit me $300 to cancel and then I won't have to pay you guys over $2240 for service. Tell them you get free Cable through your HOA (just lie)

About 2 hours later a rep called from DTV saying they are giving me ST for free and ST Max plus showtime for free for a year just to keep me....

I did that a few months ago, but I still cancelled anyways just to prove the point. Now I get a letter every day saying they want me back.

Cancelled one year cause the wouldn't give me DVRs, and every new DTVer was getting them....had to go a day without tv but they called 24 hrs later and gave me what I wanted...

I decided to get the special edition of Madden which includes a digital subscription.

Trying that this year, too. Hopefully, it is as straightforward as it appears and allows watching on tablet or maybe even PS3?

Amazon still has preorders available.