Is Jim Kelly ill ?? (update - has cancer)

He might have developed this cancer from chewing tobacco or drinking. Head n neck cancers are very rare outside of people who smoke, chew tobacco, drink alcohol or have had radiation to the neck.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the great pleasure of sitting down with Jim and Jill in their home when I interviewed them for Buffalo Soul Lifters. They were both great people (and meeting Hunter was one of the great moments I've had on this planet).

I wish him all of God's good grace in battling this and hope he makes a full recovery.

Very sad news, but I'm hopful that Jim will win this battle too. He is my all time favorite player in any sport. Kelly has been the first to admit he was an ass early in his career. Hell so was I, and if I was crazy rich, I'm sure it would have been worse. But he matured like most of us do and has been through a lot and seems like a genuinely good person now. No one can discount the positive influence he has had with his charity and there are not many better ambassadors to the city of Buffalo than #12. My prayers are with him and his family. Get well soon Jim!

F**k Cancer!

Get well soon Jimbo.

Watching Jim play created some of the greatest sports memories in my life when I was a kid and really haven't been rivaled since. I hope he gets well soon, because no matter what anyone says he's a great ambassador for a city nobody ever fights for, and a great fundraiser for charity.

Edited by Just Jack

I swear I hate the word cancer... My Mom had it( and beat it so far) and my Father died from complications of it last year.

I wish Jim the best. I hope he kicks its ass like he did on the field.

My prayers go out to him and his family.

They have to find a cure for cancer. It effects to many people in the world.

As I said in my previous post, the "cyst" in his mouth sounded ominous. Squamous cancer doesn't start in the bone, it spreads to the bonefrom the cells that line the oral cavity. The nickel sized cyst he had removed likely was the source of the cancer whhich now is in his upper jaw. The surgery ususally includes resection and neck dissection for removal of lymph nodes. Some of these commando neck operations can be disfuguring.

Did he chew tobacco?

Wish him luck--he's got a long road ahead.

My boss died from it a couple of months back... still pisses me off we can't cure this after decades of cash, cash and more cash...

That cash has done great things. When I was a kid, a cancer diagnosis sounded like a death sentence. That is no longer the case, at all.........The Yankees broadcast last night had an appearance by Michael Milliken, who is very involved in prostate cancer research. He teamed up with the Yankees 18 years ago, and either since then or in the last ten years (forget which one) - the death rate from prostate cancer has decreased by 50%. That's unreal!

Cancer is a thousand different diseases and there will not be a "cure for cancer." You find this stuff out when your family has it.

I actually have to say that I know way way more cancer survivors than people who died from cancer.

From the little bit I've read on this type, I think Jimbo will beat this as well.

Jill Kelly posted this on her Facebook page a little while ago:

(and no, I don't know who the girl on the right is... maybe their oldest daughter?)

post-21-0-80949700-1370278745_thumb.jpg

Edited by JÂy RÛßeÒ

Hate to hear news of anyone getting cancer; it just plain sucks. Hope JK pulls through this, and lives on for many more moons, and is around when the Bills finally hoist up the Lombardi trophy.

Not sure if y'all know about the national commercial running, touting Buffalo as a great place to do business, but JK has a prominent part in that spot. Have been seeing it a lot lately on the national cable news channels.

My mother died from it....have other relatives that survived and some not. It is a horrible disease but research is helping. I think it's very difficult to cure as it has many forms but progress has been made.

People are going to be very surprised to see him post surgery... my boss's surgery to try and remove the cancer left his face like Roger Ebert's... he had to use a pad to write down longer speech and carried a towel to wipe his drool. It wasn't enough to save him, and I can only hope this surgery is enough to save Jim Kelly.