ESPN cutting hundreds of jobs

This is just the suits at Disney feeling like they need another fat bonus. It's happening every day.

Management figures out that people will work harder to hang on to their jobs. So you blow out 4% of your workforce, wait and see if stuff still gets done, then give yourself a bonus for being such an awesome manager.

PTR

This is so true

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just the suits at Disney feeling like they need another fat bonus. It's happening every day.

Management figures out that people will work harder to hang on to their jobs. So you blow out 4% of your workforce, wait and see if stuff still gets done, then give yourself a bonus for being such an awesome manager.

PTR

Yep. It will only get worse. No one is going to point the finger at themselves and say, 'Hey, our shows suck'. Remember back when MTV played music and ESPN had sports coverage?

Or go back to their roots and show cheaper sports like Bulgarian Womens Weightlifting.

On a real note - they've been heavily spending on live rights for sporting events, and that (coupled with Disney mandating cuts across the entire brand) likely has more to do with if than anything else.

Corporate America at its finest..must maximize gain! Who cares whose lives we destroy in the process! Keep stockholders happy!

Then hide behind '...its not personal, its business.' Reality is its more personal than business.

Everyday I hope we are one day closer to this 24/7 news crap burning out. Sooner or later the people have to realize the damage it is doing, and the absolute worthless nonsense it is causing. There is no bigger threat to society than the 24/7-Cycle Media Entertainment industry.

Well put.

It's not really the on-air people that are being cut so far as I can tell. It's the behind the scenes people. Colin Cowherd isn't going anywhere, and if he was fired he would get another job offer before he cleaned out his desk. I get the impression that they are reaping in profits (not mismanaging, or losing ratings, like so many here are hoping), the top guys just want more of the profits.

It's America baby! I was fired along with 400 other people (all the union employees) by an insurance giant (Delta Dental) that was doing just fine. All I can say is, until it really effects the masses, no one is going to do anything to change the way things are going. It takes real desperation to get the masses moving. But for now, let's just cheer for Team Red (Elephants) or Team Blue (Donkeys). Cuz they really make a difference. And don't forget to vote!

ESPN will probably cut all the low level staff people so that they can hire another 250 ex-jocks to provide "analysis". ESPN receives $5.15 per subscriber per month. This is outrageous!!!

The satellite and cable systems don't have the balls to stand up to them. Every time ESPN demands an increase in fees, the providers put up no resistance and just pass the fee down to the little guy.

ESPN and Disney are greedy and wasteful.

I don't watch ESPN very often anymore, not with NFL network on 24/7. I don't visit their website that much either, considering they want me to pay for draft info from Kiper & McShay

CBSSports.com and others sites have as much current info as ESPN does, so why bother with them at all?

:lol:

They need to become "NFL" network with a sprinkle of other sports.

Maybe they should jump on the MMA bandwagon and start covering the the greatest and fasting growing sport in the world.

They don't need to, they are raking in the dough. Why are so many here acting like they know how to make ESPN money? The joke is on you. They are making tons regardless of how cleverly some may put down their programming. The point of the story is that a big chunk of working people are losing their jobs (not the on-air people). Few of the on-air people that posters here like to sh** all over are gonna lose their gig.

"ESPN informed its staff about the layoffs on its internal website, and encouraged employees to contact their supervisor with any questions."

Classy. I wonder if they get this internal website for free, or if $5.15 per month was deducted from their now defunct paychecks for the right to read about the loss of their jobs. How gutless.

Everyday I hope we are one day closer to this 24/7 news crap burning out. Sooner or later the people have to realize the damage it is doing, and the absolute worthless nonsense it is causing. There is no bigger threat to society than the 24/7-Cycle Media Entertainment industry.

Simple solution ....

Do not watch it