Expectations for EJ: Season 1

I don't want to see EJ on the field this season.

The only exception being a few series at the end of the season (if need be). Should Kolb suffer at QB, do you guys see the fans being patient and not chanting for EJ, or will they want to see our new guy take the field in 2013? If Kolb chokes, we put TJ in I say...

I am excited about the pick but feel that we need to take it slow and not get ahead of ourselves.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I thought of today when reading that Marrone is likely to throw EJ into the mix and make this a three way competition for starting QB...

The first time that Marrone and Hackett are going to see EJ in a Bills uniform, running their plays, is going to be in this rookie mini-camp coming up. In those three days, he is going to be throwing to that rookie triumvirate in Woods, Goodwin, and Da'Rick, (and possibly Gragg) who all have different strengths and styles. If EJ looks very good with those three, and they immediately show some type of synergy together, it may - I repeat may - influence their thought process and make them think maybe we want to just put all these guys in together and let them grow together (along with Stevie, CJ, FredEx, TJ, Brad Smith, etc).

I'm not predicting it necessarily, but those three together really excite me. Too many rookies together is also a recipe for disaster.

I have no problem with bringing EJ around slowly. I think Kolb is a pretty decent QB and will play a lot better behind our offensive line. I can see both of them playing with EJ getting his feet wet in certain packages. Either way, we have the luxury to do whatever is best for EJ's long term development.

One thing I thought of today when reading that Marrone is likely to throw EJ into the mix and make this a three way competition for starting QB...

The first time that Marrone and Hackett are going to see EJ in a Bills uniform, running their plays, is going to be in this rookie mini-camp coming up. In those three days, he is going to be throwing to that rookie triumvirate in Woods, Goodwin, and Da'Rick, (and possibly Gragg) who all have different strengths and styles. If EJ looks very good with those three, and they immediately show some type of synergy together, it may - I repeat may - influence their thought process and make them think maybe we want to just put all these guys in together and let them grow together (along with Stevie, CJ, FredEx, TJ, Brad Smith, etc).

I'm not predicting it necessarily, but those three together really excite me. Too many rookies together is also a recipe for disaster.

Agreed. But I also think a bunch of young bucks experiencing disaster together can quickly galvanize into something great. If a Superbowl is completely out of reach (and it is, this year, methinks) then I'm all for baptism by fire.

If EJ comes out Russell Wilson style in the preseason, I say we play him week 1. Wilson had a slow start to the year, but really hit his stride on the back end. Of course, he was aided by a top D and running game.

Every QB to ever play in the NFL has said "You don't learn anything by sitting on the bench". Start him and keep him in no matter what. If he sucks all season and never improves we draft high and take another QB next year.

I don't have a preconcieved set of expectations for EJ for this season. It depends on so many factors. I think it is reasonable to say that a healthy Kevin Kolb is probably more capable of winning games right out of the gate than EJ. Kolb has enough NFL starting/playing experience that he should be able to come in and win right away. If EJ demonstrates during camp and preseason that this gap is negligible then I think he should start right away. Otherwise, stick with Kolb until he is injured, his play is poor or the team record is terrible. Tne let EJ take the helm.

The only thing I really want is for Marrone to give EJ his full confidence. When you decide to start him you have to stick with it. I don't want him to be looking over his shoulder, fearing that he gets benched if he makes mistakes. I expect him to make some horrendous mistakes early on in his career. But I don't want him to be yanked out of the starting spot once he earns it. I don't to see another Losman situation where the QB is so scared to make mistakes that he inevitably implodes.

I have full confidence in Marrone that this QB 'competition' will be handled correctly and I am extremely excited for this year and years to come.

agree 1,000% here Kelly. I'm not predicting

agree 1,000% here Kelly. I'm not predicting it, and a group of rookies definately could be a disaster. However, at the same time, an argument can be made that EJ might make the WRs better and vice versa and at the end of the day, these WRs are probably going to be all starting in 4 and 5 WR sets. I envision Stevie as the starter, Rogers/Woods (whoever performs better) opposite Stevie, with the rest of them in the slots. Or maybe IF... HUGE IF... Both Rogers and Woods perform well, to see Stevie in the slot and both of these guys on the outside.

It's all going to depend in how quickly EJ can mesh with these rookie WRs. If he can't quickly, then I envision Kolb starting. If he can, then he might take the same route as Wilson and the Seahawks.

I am completely the opposite. I'd like to see him play the entire season, and get lots of reps.

I think sitting "in wait" is really overrated.

I say give them all an equal chance to win the job and let the chips fall where they may.

Yup and yuuuuup. Let their play in preseason and camp dictate the winner

Let Kolb start, bring EJ in for designed packages... give him a feel for the speed of the game. If it looks like were done by Halloween as usual, play the kid in a waterdowned, run heavy offense to help him get his feet wet and have some confidence building success.

I don't care about winning games this season. I do care that they take steps to grow the QB with the highest potential into something great. Put him in and let him take it all in. If we really suck this year, we'll be back at the top of the draft order next year.

Edited by BILLS_ROC