Buffalo Bills UDFA Signings

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bet the WR battle in camp is going to rival the QB battle which got better also.

and I think, the winner of the QB battle to start the season will be whichever one gets on track with these WRs fastest.

Personally, I think Kolb will be better with Stevie, but EJ will be better with Rogers, Woods, and Goodwin.

I'm guessing the dropoff from Stevie between EJ and Kolb will be minimal and they will go with EJ to start the season.

Not usually one to get high on UDFA pickups, but Pough, Kaufman and Rogers are a real coup for this team. All three have a chance to stick and be players, especially Rogers.

I would much rather have SJ13, Woods, Graham, Goodwin, Rogers and Smith with Kaufman as a PS player than Jones, Nelson, Ruvell Martin, Derek Hagan, e.g. guys who are maxed out as depth players at best

Every franchise in the NFL expects their 1st round draft pick to "start" and contribute from day one... EJ will start for sure... We are not the Patriots or Packers or Falcons who are set with their franchise QB... Of course Buddy and Coach Marrone will not just hand EJ the job and will say stuff like, "It's a competition", but we all know the fans want and will pay to see EJ start... At the end of the day it's a business and the best business decision they can make, is to start EJ... Talk done...

Every franchise in the NFL expects their 1st round draft pick to "start" and contribute from day one... EJ will start for sure... We are not the Patriots or Packers or Falcons who are set with their franchise QB... Of course Buddy and Coach Marrone will not just hand EJ the job and will say stuff like, "It's a competition", but we all know the fans want and will pay to see EJ start... At the end of the day it's a business and the best business decision they can make, is to start EJ... Talk done...

That and he better than anyone else.

Is better

Forgot the is

I was really hoping the Bills would roll the dice on Lawrence Okoye - many here probably laughed at that, but the British olympian could turn into a monster. He needs to learn, but his body is a rare thing. Who got him? San Fran. They had, I think, the best draft of anyone - considering they had the reverse type situation as Buffalo (where we had a bunch of holes to fill and not enough picks, they had hardly any holes and a bunch of picks!) - they still seemed to get very good players at positions where they can develop or actually help them.

I think San Fran is without a doubt the best team in the NFL. I HOPE Buffalo is only a year or two away from being able to compete with them in that regard. Getting a project player like Okoye is the kind of thing that can separate a FO from the rest - using all the available resources to find Gems where others neglect it, or don't see it. I'm not saying he will make that type of difference, but I'm saying it's the teams that go for the homerun wherever they can find it - like Miami getting Cameron Wake.

I wish we would have got Okoye, but we're still in a stage behind San Fran, where we're still moving to field our best roster, and they've got their roster settled, they're looking to fortify their future.

I loved our draft, though - and I think we're going to be competing for a wild card this year. 9-10 wins is where I see us finishing, on record!

Just because the Bills are a stage behind the 49'ers, it doesn't mean they couldn't have signed Okoye as an UDFA. I don't know if they tried, and it would have been a worthwhile signing given such low risk, but the odds are heavily stacked against him. He's a freakish athlete, but he's never played American football before.

Holy cow I thought the draft as over but seems like we're taking UDFA seriously too for a change instead of just bringing in camp fodder by the 20's. What a difference a well respected college coach seems to be making, also great to see that all these WR's love to come to Buffallo so they can play with EJ... I dont see any of them heading towards the Jets...

I think when the front office left the cupboard bare by leaving pretty much only Stevie as a starter, there were opportunities to earn a roster spot for these guys. Kind of funny how everyone was panicking when we didn't resign anyone. If you are a college prospect, you want to go where you are going to have opportunities. This team definitely did. Give the FO some credit for what is happening here. I am blown away because everything about this draft looks like there was a great deal of planning involved. The Bills look like a team that hit the nail right on the head this time around.

Getting a project player like Okoye is the kind of thing that can separate a FO from the rest - using all the available resources to find Gems where others neglect it, or don't see it. I'm not saying he will make that type of difference, but I'm saying it's the teams that go for the homerun wherever they can find it - like Miami getting Cameron Wake.

Getting a project player like Da'Rick Rogers is a huge event for the Bills FO. They call Rogers a Julio Jones clone - so to nab him as a UDFA is just incredible to me. It's a very exciting group of WRs, for sure.

And many thanks to 26CornerBlitz for keeping the UDFA list up to date. What a haul!!!

Sorry to ask a lame question but how does the actual process work for bidding on these undrafted players? I just want to get some knowledgeable input on this. Thanks!

Its the same as Free Agency. Player and his agent fielding calls and offers. For a lot of late round guys (6th+) its almost better to be a UDFA because you get to pick the team you go to.

Edited by DrDareustein

Getting a project player like Da'Rick Rogers is a huge event for the Bills FO. They call Rogers a Julio Jones clone - so to nab him as a UDFA is just incredible to me. It's a very exciting group of WRs, for sure.

And many thanks to 26CornerBlitz for keeping the UDFA list up to date. What a haul!!!

I really love what we did this year despite the fifth round head scratcher.

I think when the front office left the cupboard bare by leaving pretty much only Stevie as a starter, there were opportunities to earn a roster spot for these guys. Kind of funny how everyone was panicking when we didn't resign anyone. If you are a college prospect, you want to go where you are going to have opportunities. This team definitely did. Give the FO some credit for what is happening here. I am blown away because everything about this draft looks like there was a great deal of planning involved. The Bills look like a team that hit the nail right on the head this time around.

Very true!

Sorry to ask a lame question but how does the actual process work for bidding on these undrafted players? I just want to get some knowledgeable input on this. Thanks!

Basicly the same as it does with normal FA's, players and their agents get to select the team of their choice provided that team offered them a deal. Often recruitment allready starts when the draft is still going on. Staff is calling players that are undrafted at that time letting them know that they are welcome to sign with the team if they go undrafted. As to actual contract money etc I'm unsure but I assume it pretty basic NFL minimum stuff.

Basicly the same as it does with normal FA's, players and their agents get to select the team of their choice provided that team offered them a deal. Often recruitment allready starts when the draft is still going on. Staff is calling players that are undrafted at that time letting them know that they are welcome to sign with the team if they go undrafted. As to actual contract money etc I'm unsure but I assume it pretty basic NFL minimum stuff.

The article on Drew Smith, RB Albany, said he signed a 3-year contract with a signing bonus. That sounds like a "priority UDFA" situation, where multiple teams may be bidding for a player.

Its the same as Free Agency. Player and his agent fielding calls and offers. For a lot of late round guys (6th+) its almost better to be a UDFA because you get to pick the team you go to.

And a priority one might get a better contract than the 7th rounder

I'm hoping they wait till Kolb gets injured again before they start him. He's raw and needs development. The longer he can sit ,within reason, the better he will be prepared.

Hate to see the kid get torn up like RG3

Edited by 3rdand12

If the coaches make their decisions based on what fans will think we're in serious trouble.

I'm hoping they wait till Kolb gets injured again before they start him. He's raw and needs development. The longer he can sit ,within reason, the better he will be prepared.

Hate to see the kid get torn up like RG3

From the sounds of things, Coach Marrone doesn't plan on having him run around like RG3 based on the interview... I don't think Kolb is any good IMO... i say if there's to be a "competition", may the best man win...

If the coaches make their decisions based on what fans will think we're in serious trouble.

The fans aren't always wrong... In this case though I put my trust in Marrone like I did Gailey his first year... If he chooses to start Kolb over EJ, then I'm all for it...