Buffalo Bills UDFA Signings

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A local product in Jordan Dangerfield... sounds like a small school sleeper to me... perfect for what is being sought by Marrone & Co. Give him some respect!!!! ;)

All-American performer at free safety who will be a candidate for Buck Buchanan Award as top defensive player in FCS football ... hard-hitting defensive back who was named to the All-Colonial Athletic Association first team in 2011 ... named pre-season All-CAA prior to 2012 this season ... third-year starter ... one of the captains of the Turnaround Tigers last season ... vocal and physical leader of the Tiger defense ... excellent tackler and very passionate football player ... great leader and a very smart player ... has great speed and excellent range ... earned third team pre-season All-America honors from The Sports Network ... transfer from Hofstra University after the 2009 season who joined Tigers because Hofstra discontinued its football program.

http://www.towsontig...TCLID=204971617

Edited by BmoreBills

Surprisingly there are more.

The UAlbany football program continues to grow under Ford's leadership, leading to connections between the program and the National Football League. Rudy Vido, who graduated in 1974 as a fullback and defensive end, became the first player in school history to try-out for an NFL team. He tried out for the New England Patriots, but never played in the league.

In 2005, Kurt Campbell became the first player in the program's history to be drafted into the NFL. Campbell was selected in the 7th round by theGreen Bay Packers.

In the 2007 NFL Draft, Rashad Barksdale, who made the game winning interception against Delaware in 2006, became the second player in school history to be drafted. He was selected in the 6th round by the Philadelphia Eagles. Barksdale was cut however at the end of training camp, but was signed by the Kansas City Chiefs, and became the first player in school history placed on an NFL 53-man roster.

Barksdale made his National Football League debut on October 7, 2007 against the Jacksonville Jaguars. It marked the first time a UAlbany player had appeared in an NFL regular-season game when he took the field on special teams. He also played on the punt cover and punt return units and recorded his first career tackle in the fourth-quarter.

http://en.wikipedia...._Danes#Football

Player Year Position Teams Played With NFL Regular Season Debut Date Dan Gmelin 1997 DE San Diego Chargers Seth Thomas 1997 TE Carolina Panthers Matt Caliandro 1998 DE Tennessee Titans Kurt Campbell 2005 LB Green Bay Packers (Drafted 2005 - 7th Round);Oakland Raiders; Tennessee Titans Geir Gudmundsen 2005 OL Buffalo Bills Andre Coleman 2007 DE San Diego Chargers Jacob Hobbs 2007 OG Philadelphia Eagles Rashad Barksdale 2007 DB Philadelphia Eagles (Drafted 2007- 6th Round) ; Kansas City Chiefs; New York Giants Oct. 7, 2007 Jon Morgan 2013 LB Detroit Lions Drew Smith 2013 RB Buffalo Bills

Very interesting, thanks.

Yes, I was too lazy to look it up myself. Drew Smith has caught headlines here locally, and since he was a dominant offensive player he probably had a little more visibility.

Obviously I don't follow the Danes that closely.

Obviously I don't follow the Danes that closely.

My wife and I went out yesterday evening and pulled up to the stoplight.

There was a Great Dane in the car next to us with his head and neck sticking out the window. He was so big he could have easily leaned over and licked my face.

I didn't encourage him though.

Also, the 5'8" Nickell Robey at CB sounds like Rudy... I'm rooting for him to make some noise despite his size!

Nickell Robey was indubitably one of the most beloved players while he was at USC. It is easy to see why he was so easily loved, despite his small stature he played well above his size. He was known for shutting down wide receivers who were bigger and stronger, and he did exactly that to Notre Dame receiver Michael Floyd in 2011. Also he had an eye for the ball, in his three years at USC he totaled seven interceptions. The most memorable was his pick six on Andrew Luck in 2011 and the stadium absolutely erupted. Luck now knows to NEVER throw the venus on a spyder 3 y banana!

http://www.conquestc...igns-with-bills

Edited by BmoreBills

Kaufman runs a 4.6... not quite NFL speed.

Didn't stop Anquan Boldin or Jerry RIce (4.7), nor did it stop Allen from getting drafted. SJ also ran ~4.6. So as a UDFA it's all about whether he can help the team, not track numbers.

Having said that I give him about a .3% chance of making the team, given we have SJ/Graham/Smith (Could be cut), drafted Woods/Goodwin, and signed Rogers (who should have been drafted). Any WR's other than them who make the roster needs to be a ST ace. If he shows well in camp maybe he can make the psquad.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I heard an interesting tidbit this weekend about UDFAs.

There are more UDFAs in the Hall of Fame (15) then #1 Draft Picks (12) and Heismann Winners (6). Now, granted, you have more UDFAs to choose from, but I still found it to be an interesting point.

Carry on.

If I'd wager on who makes the club I'd bet on WR Rogers and QB Tuel. Robey and Edwards would battle for a spot with one of the two earning PS invite. I thnk robey could transfer to FS.

I'd say Rogers and Kaufman, with Drew Smith having a real shot to stick as the short yardage RB. I can see Tuel and Pough on the PS.

Edited by Doc

I heard an interesting tidbit this weekend about UDFAs.

There are more UDFAs in the Hall of Fame (15) then #1 Draft Picks (12) and Heismann Winners (6). Now, granted, you have more UDFAs to choose from, but I still found it to be an interesting point.

Carry on.

Thanks for the info. I was talking to a guy at work today that I think UDFAs work harder and have a chip on their shoulder, first rounders seem more relieved and ready to spend their money, IMHO.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2013/04/darick-rogers-tell-bills-fans-they-got-the-steal-of-the-draft.html

"I'm ready to come work. I'm ready to come grind," Rogers said. "Tell the Bills fans they got the steal of the draft. I won't let them down."

I'd say Rogers and Kaufman, with Drew Smith having a real shot to stick as the short yardage RB. I can see Tuel and Pough on the PS.

I really like Pough's chances...Especially after the Shep trade if the Bills stand pat at ILB...I know Pough did not run well (his shuttle and 3-cone times did not help much either) at the Combine and that killed his Draft stock...But you watch him on tape, and you look at the production, it's surprising he ran that slow...He did have a sprained ankle during the 2012 season...I wonder if something was up during the workouts...Not that I think the kid has blazing speed or anything like that...He just does not look like a 4.8-4.9 guy on the field at all from the limited amount I've seen...I think he's got a chance to fill a depth spot and be a solid ST's player... B-)

Basicly the same as it does with normal FA's, players and their agents get to select the team of their choice provided that team offered them a deal. Often recruitment allready starts when the draft is still going on. Staff is calling players that are undrafted at that time letting them know that they are welcome to sign with the team if they go undrafted. As to actual contract money etc I'm unsure but I assume it pretty basic NFL minimum stuff.

Great, thank you!

Only one of these guys i know is Kendall Gaskins, FB, as i have Richmond Season tickets. Tough short yardage runner. Good blocker. Hate to say, but cannot remember him on special teams. Not saying he did not play there, i just don't remember.

With Corey Mac not signed(think that be the case) , maybe he has a shot if he can play teams?

Only one of these guys i know is Kendall Gaskins, FB, as i have Richmond Season tickets. Tough short yardage runner. Good blocker. Hate to say, but cannot remember him on special teams. Not saying he did not play there, i just don't remember.

With Corey Mac not signed(think that be the case) , maybe he has a shot if he can play teams?

Paul, what I'm hearing is that it's possible the Bills won't actually keep a true FB on the roster. Marrone was even quoted that they could use a DT in the backfield on short yardage/goal line plays.

That said, they obviously like this kid enough to give him a shot, so who knows?