Geno Smith goes home <edit> will attend day 2

I know, right! Or all the people predicting, 6 teams drafting ahead of us are going to take QBs. I argued, no way are 6 teams looking for QBs, but Whatever! Amazing how everyone thinks they have all the answers, and will let you know that, yet they really have no clue.

Obviously the fans know more than NFL GMs.

PTR

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I place 100% of the blame upon Geno's advisors for having him show up in NY for the 1st round. That said, him leaving when he'll almost certainly be drafted in the 2nd tonight doesn't do anything to help sway the perceptions he isn't mentally tough.

It's hilarious grown men picking on a 21 yo for being disappointed on one of the biggest nights of his life. But he's the immature one.

I place 100% of the blame upon Geno's advisors for having him show up in NY for the 1st round. That said, him leaving when he'll almost certainly be drafted in the 2nd tonight doesn't do anything to help sway the perceptions he isn't mentally tough.

Check Aaron Rodgers in the green room before he was drafted. If he was smiling & laughing, then he would get knocked for not caring.

Cordy Glenn left too last year, no big deal if you ask me.

The rules are different for QBs and if you are a QB you need to understand that. Cam Newton isn't the only player in the leauge who pouts on the sidelines but he's going to get more grief about it than anyone else, that's just a fact of life. If Smith's agent is worth anything, he will talk some sense into the kid and have him back at Radio City tonight.

What a crock. There is no way his decision to go home has ANY impact on a team's evaluation. On Mike and Mike, Polian was adamant that this kind of speculation is total BS.

I agree that teams aren't changing their evaluation based on this. I think it's the reverse -- his actions are validating the evaluation that he wasn't worth a high pick (at least in the public's eye, which for high profile people is important).

http://profootballta...back-on-friday/

At a time when quarterback Geno Smith has faced harsh criticism regarding his ability to handle adversity,Smith isn’t handling adversity well.

Specifically, the game that is the NFL draft isn’t going the way he expected, so Smith plans to take his bat and ball and go home.

Smith told ESPN’s Suzy Kolber after Thursday night’s opening round that he won’t be backon Friday for rounds two and three.

If Smith doesn’t return, he’ll be confirming in the minds of many that he can’t show grit and resolve under pressure. That he’ll sink his head and slump his shoulders when the team is 14 points behind in the third quarter. That he’ll pout if he’s not the starter or if he gets benched. That he’ll complain about the use of too many running plays when he prefers to air it out.

At a time when multiple other quarterbacks remain on the board, Smith needs to stand tall in the face of disappointment and show up for Friday’s festivities. Only 32 players have been picked, including only one quarterback. And if Smith thinks he has it bad, at least Smith didn’t have to experience his college coach Dana Holgorsen take an NFL head-coaching job (Marrone-Nassib), trade down from No. 8 to No. 16, and then select E.J. Manuel.

What if the NFL had no plans for any of the guys they invited to be there on Friday?

What's he supposed to do, crash the draft?

This is trying to make a lot out of nothing IMO. Guy was told for the past few months he was a top 10 pick and would be the first QB off the board. This is worse than the Aaron Rodgers drop. Was he upset? Sure...Does that make him a bad leader or unable to handle adversity? Let's wait and see what he actually does when he puts a uniform on.

This is as ridiculous as trying to pick a winner and loser from round 1.

i was surprised that the bills literally could have had any qb they wanted in the 2nd round. i am not sure yet about manuel. i can understand if smith is disappointed the guy thought he was going to be drafted in the first 8 picks. but he shouldn't go home, he should stick around show he can tough it out even when disappointed.

That is a load of crap... the Bills have the 41st pick... the Eagles and Jets both liked Manuel. Sure Barkley, Nassib, or even Geno may have fallen there but the Bills didn't want any of those leftovers..

That is a load of crap... the Bills have the 41st pick... the Eagles and Jets both liked Manuel. Sure Barkley, Nassib, or even Geno may have fallen there but the Bills didn't want any of those leftovers..

And, we'll have to wait and see how it plays out as to which of these guys have productive careers.

Was Geno the only player left backstage?

I was wondering the same thing. I forget how many they had there to start the night, but you'd have to think at least one or two more are still available.

Well, I think they said last night that the NFL had 24 people there, which is just ridiculous in the first place.

After the past few years of watching some of these kids get humiliated on live TV, you'd think they NFL would learn to only invite 5-10 sure bets.

Hell, they could have just invited the Alabama team to the green room.

Maybe that's it, just invite the National Champs to the green room so they can celebrate and support their teammates as they get drafted.

I've been that guy growing up playing hockey in Canada. Always one of the last few guys picked. I took it as a badge of honor, but that's just me. Geno isn't a top QB and all his handlers and talking heads propped him up, and the young kid didn't know any better. If I were him I would have went as well. There was no reason in his mind that he would not be the first picked or not picked at all. As to those that say it doesn't mean anything that he was hanging his head? I beg to differ. We have kids running into gunfire at age 18, seeing things that make movies look mild in comparison, and they (most of them) handle it with about as much as one can expect. To me that is the real adversity. Not being picked first in a sport that pays millions and acting all pouty DOES suggest to me that the individual does have character concerns.

Edited by D521646

A few months back there was a thread titled "Geno Smith Skips Senior Bowl" or something along those lines. The vast majority of posters here were of the mindset that he was smart to skip it as he was a sure fire top 10 pick (or first round at the very least). To that I responded that if you really take a look at his numbers and especially how he played against the tougher competition that he was at best a 50/50 shot to go in the first round and he should play in the game to improve his draft status. I was laughed at, told I was out of my mind, called delusional, and all the other classy things some posters say. Well, EJ played in the senior bowl and by all accounts looked fantastic, rose up the charts and became the only QB drafted in the first round. Geno didn't go and, well, we all saw those awkward shots of him in the Green room. Unless you're a Luck type prospect, you should be in the Senior Bowl when invited.

Edited by Mark80

too big of a deal on this... he knew all along he might be there all night, and said it'd be fine. of course he's still disappointed, but i don't think not coming back for day 2 and being the only guy in the room means he's a quitter. it just does not sound like much fun!

Well, I think they said last night that the NFL had 24 people there, which is just ridiculous in the first place.

After the past few years of watching some of these kids get humiliated on live TV, you'd think they NFL would learn to only invite 5-10 sure bets.

Hell, they could have just invited the Alabama team to the green room.

Maybe that's it, just invite the National Champs to the green room so they can celebrate and support their teammates as they get drafted.

The NFL draft is not a sporting event. It's reality TV for dudes. Watching the disappointment on players faces as they are not picked is just as much a part of the TV show as Mel Kiper's hair and Todd McShay's incorrect analysis. They invite enough players so that they get that "entertainment."