Geno Smith goes home <edit> will attend day 2

http://profootballta...back-on-friday/

At a time when quarterback Geno Smith has faced harsh criticism regarding his ability to handle adversity,Smith isn’t handling adversity well.

Specifically, the game that is the NFL draft isn’t going the way he expected, so Smith plans to take his bat and ball and go home.

Smith told ESPN’s Suzy Kolber after Thursday night’s opening round that he won’t be backon Friday for rounds two and three.

If Smith doesn’t return, he’ll be confirming in the minds of many that he can’t show grit and resolve under pressure. That he’ll sink his head and slump his shoulders when the team is 14 points behind in the third quarter. That he’ll pout if he’s not the starter or if he gets benched. That he’ll complain about the use of too many running plays when he prefers to air it out.

At a time when multiple other quarterbacks remain on the board, Smith needs to stand tall in the face of disappointment and show up for Friday’s festivities. Only 32 players have been picked, including only one quarterback. And if Smith thinks he has it bad, at least Smith didn’t have to experience his college coach Dana Holgorsen take an NFL head-coaching job (Marrone-Nassib), trade down from No. 8 to No. 16, and then select E.J. Manuel.

Edited by Beerball

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

He's a Whitney B%#^H and he's showing his stripes. I posted this in the Manuel thread also. So happy we Didnt waste a draft pick on this scrub. The next Vince Young. Only not as gifted and not as safe of a bet.

At a time when quarterback Geno Smith has faced harsh criticism regarding his ability to handle adversity,Smith isn’t handling adversity well.

Specifically, the game that is the NFL draft isn’t going the way he expected, so Smith plans to take his bat and ball and go home.

Smith told ESPN’s Suzy Kolber after Thursday night’s opening round that he won’t be backon Friday for rounds two and three.

If Smith doesn’t return, he’ll be confirming in the minds of many that he can’t show grit and resolve under pressure. That he’ll sink his head and slump his shoulders when the team is 14 points behind in the third quarter. That he’ll pout if he’s not the starter or if he gets benched. That he’ll complain about the use of too many running plays when he prefers to air it out.

At a time when multiple other quarterbacks remain on the board, Smith needs to stand tall in the face of disappointment and show up for Friday’s festivities. Only 32 players have been picked, including only one quarterback. And if Smith thinks he has it bad, at least Smith didn’t have to experience his college coach Dana Holgorsen take an NFL head-coaching job (Marrone-Nassib), trade down from No. 8 to No. 16, and then select E.J. Manuel.

Couldn't agree more. My friends and I touched on this during one of the shots of him hanging his head. I told them I hope he's texting someone cause if he's just moping he's in trouble. He needed to look up and show the camera a cocky smile, one of those "I'll pay all the teams that passed me over back" looks.

Having said that I can only imagine how hard it would be to be in his situation, getting your confidence hit with each selection over and over again. But then again, no one said being a NFL QB was an easy job either.

Geno Smith has to realize that Matt Barkley, Tyler Wilson, Mike Glennon, also weren't drafted. He has to realize that Ryan Nassib's former coach just drafted a different QB.

Geno's showing a complete lack of perspective.

A truly mature and together guy would have said something along the lines of

"I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed in not being drafted. It would have been an honor to be the first QB taken or to have been a first round draft pick but things happen for a reason.

EJ was drafted and I congratulate him. I'm standing here with a bunch of other great quarterbacks who haven't been drafted yet either so we all have to accept that and make the best of the situation.

I know guys like Aaron Rodgers and Brady Quinn have been through this so it's not all about me. Tomorrow my dream of becoming an NFL player will come true and I know this will work out for the best."

Every time ESPN showed Geno in the second half of the round he had his head hung low. Of course there's the chance that the camera crew picked and chose its times to show him in a dismayed light but odds are against it. He hung his head low and he kept it low. A little texting here and there is fine but man, if you are confident in your abilities and in what you have to offer then hold your head up high and keep it up. To me how he reacted to unexpected bumps in the road showed a lot. Perhaps I'm reading too much into this but maybe not. What reveals a man's character is how he handles adversity. Geno did not handle it well at all. If anyone had told him how to handle it, he did not take the advice. This could be very telling.

And therein the drop continues...

Edited by Pilsner

Every time ESPN showed Geno in the second half of the round he had his head hung low. Of course there's the chance that the camera crew picked and chose its times to show him in a dismayed light but odds are against it. He hung his head low and he kept it low. A little texting here and there is fine but man, if you are confident in your abilities and in what you have to offer then hold your head up high and keep it up. To me how he reacted to unexpected bumps in the road showed a lot. Perhaps I'm reading too much into this but maybe not. What reveals a man's character is how he handles adversity. Geno did not handle it well at all. If anyone had told him how to handle it, he did not take the advice. This could be very telling.

And therein the drop continues...

He'll go in the top half of round 2. If Jacksonville doesn't take him I think Philly will. JMO

I'm not sticking up for Geno at all, but every single pick that went by every single player that wasn't picked, especially if ANYONE picked them in the first round, felt the same thing. The way they may portray it in public doesn't say anything about their resolve or personality or talent or toughness, it only shows what KIND of person they are, if that. Thurman was furious and dejected when so many teams passed over him. If the cameras would have locked on numerous times when it wa son him you may say the same thing about giving up.

Last year, SO many fans thought the shot of Gilmore showed he hated being drafted by the Bills. The fact was, that was about five minutes after he knew. He was called before the pick and spoke with Chan and was happy. A few minutes later, when the cameras were on him just after the pick, he was contemplative about how happy he was to make it to being a #1 pick in the NFL. He described it eloquently and there is no reason not to believe it. It didn't at ALL seem like a cover up and everything about the guy says it's true.

Geno may or may not turn out to be a good or great QB. I'm on the fence with him. I prefer Manuel myself. But going home will have zero effect on his career and will show no clue as to whether he has the wherewithal to be a player.

Kelly I agree with you that every passed over player feels a sting in their heart. What matters is how they act towards it. I can only go by what I saw on tv when the cameras were panning on Geno's downtrodden look. Perhaps due to his descendancy the camera crew took advantage of this. Who knows really? It's to keep viewer's interests. But if there was no bias involved with the crew, he had a hard time dealing with being passed over. Some players may grow up and overcome this. His reaction though isn't inspiring.

i was surprised that the bills literally could have had any qb they wanted in the 2nd round. i am not sure yet about manuel. i can understand if smith is disappointed the guy thought he was going to be drafted in the first 8 picks. but he shouldn't go home, he should stick around show he can tough it out even when disappointed.

Geno Smith has to realize that Matt Barkley, Tyler Wilson, Mike Glennon, also weren't drafted. He has to realize that Ryan Nassib's former coach just drafted a different QB.

Geno's showing a complete lack of perspective.

A truly mature and together guy would have said something along the lines of

"I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed in not being drafted. It would have been an honor to be the first QB taken or to have been a first round draft pick but things happen for a reason.

EJ was drafted and I congratulate him. I'm standing here with a bunch of other great quarterbacks who haven't been drafted yet either so we all have to accept that and make the best of the situation.

I know guys like Aaron Rodgers and Brady Quinn have been through this so it's not all about me. Tomorrow my dream of becoming an NFL player will come true and I know this will work out for the best."

Awesome. You should be working in the PR Department of one of the NFL agents or the teams......That is pretty smooth talking.....and will make the rounds around the networks!!!

Geno looked visibly upset all night and I question his resolve too.

Why didn't Goddell protect Smith the same way he did with Brady Quinn a few years ago by removing him from the Cameras?

What's entertaining is the 100's of posts I have seen on here saying no way Geno falls to us at 8.

I know, right! Or all the people predicting, 6 teams drafting ahead of us are going to take QBs. I argued, no way are 6 teams looking for QBs, but Whatever! Amazing how everyone thinks they have all the answers, and will let you know that, yet they really have no clue.

Edited by billsbum

I don't blame him at all. Controversy? Get real. He had his whole family there, sat by himself in that room all night with camera's on him and got embarrassed. I mean the best QB in the class goes undrafted in the first round, doubt that has ever happened. There were plenty of players named who weren't there, were they handling adversity bad also? Some people and the media like to make a big deal out of nothing just to start controversy. Not sure where he will go if you believe the reports, the Jags like Nassib or Barkley, but then again that is what everyone thought about the Bills also. Aaron Rodgers still holds a grudge 8 years later and lets it be known, he has done alright for himself in my opinion. Edited by BuffBill