RIP Larry Felser

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Larry was Buffalo guy. He wrote to the sports fan as if they were at a local watering hole. He was humble and kind. Meeting Larry was a joy. Really nice fellow who made you look forward to his news column or radio show. Condolences to his family. God bless Larry and rest in peace. You were the last of the great Buffalo Sports writers.

Larry Felser and Jim Kelley. Did we even know how good we had it?

Jim Kelley as Sabres beat reporter, Vic Carucci as Bills reporter, and Felser as lead columnist..........No, I didn't realize at the time that that was great.

I think Mark Gaughan is the only suitable replacement we ended up getting for them. He's really good.

Ralph's Statement

“I am deeply saddened to hear the news of the passing of Larry Felser. Larry was there at the beginning of the American Football League and along with fellow reporters such as Will McDonough and others, played an important role in the growth of our league. He was the consummate professional—tough, but fair, and never one to shy away from clearly stating his opinion. I had tremendous respect for Larry and we developed a deep friendship that lasted throughout our lifetimes. We shared some great laughs over the years and that’s what I am remembering most today about Larry. I will truly miss him. My deepest sympathies and condolences go out to his lovely wife, Beverly, and their family.”

Larry was truly an icon, one of the best. I loved reading his columns growing up and feel fortunate not only for that but also that I got to later listen to his opinions and insight on the radio and then to see him on Empire Sports Network. A very sad day for all who knew him personally or via his work. We lost a great one. You will be missed, Mr. Felser. Rest In Peace.

Sad day for the Buffalo News and Buffalo sports fans.

Hopefully reflecting on his previous work and style of writing will lead to some of the current writers to make an honest assessment of what the News's sports coverage has been lacking for some time - objective, well written pieces without unnecessary provocation.

Sad that his death reminds me not only of why I used to read the Buffalo News, but also why I now rarely do. RIP. You have been, and will continue to be, sorely missed.

Great post and thoughts. RIP Larry.

Jim Kelley as Sabres beat reporter, Vic Carucci as Bills reporter, and Felser as lead columnist..........No, I didn't realize at the time that that was great.

I was just thinking the same thing. That was one hell of a trio.

You left quite a legacy.

RIP

RIP Larry

Im sad to hear of his passing. Before the internets :) all we had was local coverage. I used to live for the Monday's Sport section in the paper after Bills games. His writings were must read if you lived in the area.

To me the news Sports section wasnt the same without him.

Rest in Peace Mr. Felser.

I used to call into Monday Evening Quarterback every week... I met him in the press box at an away game and he asked me to stay and listen to the pre-game show he did with Vic Carucci... He was always so nice to me and a class act. He wrote the best Buffalo Bill articles... I looked forward to his articles and shows every week. Hell of a man... RIP Larry... There will never be another like you.