WR Wonderlic Scores

Some guys did terrible. My favorite Robert Woods looks good. According to the score, Tavon Austin is illiterate. These scores probably don't mean as much for WRs as it does for QBs but its still fun to see how these guys do.

Eric Galko

@OptimumScouting

From the @BobMcGinn article, Wonderlic scores from WRs: C.Patterson (11), T.Austin (7), K.Allen (19), R,Woods (23), J.Hunter (12).

https://mobile.twitter.com/OptimumScouting/status/324910201012645888

Edited by Bangarang

Holy chit...maybe my 7 yr old daughter has a "Leapster" program they can borrow. Those are some dreadful scores.

Yea, anything even bordering on single digits amounts to filling random bubbles on the sheet.

Sadly, those are not uncommon scores.

Meaningless for WR for the not part, se with RBs. Look up the historical scores, they'll prove it. I'll take a dumb WR anyday... Moss had a 12 and AJ green a 10.

You won't find a Super Bowl winner with a Wonderlic less than I think 15 (Bradshaw) with the next lowest I found being Favre with like a 22.

There's a highly positive correlation between playoff and Super Bowl wins and higher wonderlics for QB...

Meaningless for WR for the not part, se with RBs. Look up the historical scores, they'll prove it. I'll take a dumb WR anyday... Moss had a 12 and AJ green a 10.

You won't find a Super Bowl winner with a Wonderlic less than I think 15 (Bradshaw) with the next lowest I found being Favre with like a 22.

There's a highly positive correlation between playoff and Super Bowl wins and higher wonderlics for QB...

Still though, it is somewhat disheartening to think these guys went to good colleges and can only pull a 10 on this test...did they attend class at all such that their brains had a basic workout in the last 3-4 years??

Yea, anything even bordering on single digits amounts to filling random bubbles on the sheet.

Sadly, those are not uncommon scores.

Woods and Allen are more well spoken and went to Cal and USC... and scored much higher than the articulately challenged Patterson and Austin from Tenn and West Virgina. Shocking.

Edited by Brainiac21

at the very least, knowing hes illiterate before you bring him into camp might help you with the transition and teaching process.

At the draft luncheon they did make a point of saying the Bills coaches wanted smart players... so not a stretch to say it could be a factor. It was also reported that Patterson did not interview well, which could reflect this low score. I really don't think anyone but Hunter was truly a likely candidate for the Bills anyway. A 12 might not scare them off of him, at least in round 2, since he reportedly has solid character.

Wonderlic scores? WGAS? Can the guy play or not?

Todd McShay said this morning on Mike&Mike that Patterson has fallen down the draft board because he has a tough time recognizing where to go in certain defensive alignments or in blitzing situations...not that McShay is a super reliable source, but this is what he heard from other GM's. I guess the Wonderlic is supposed to gauge a players ability to analyze and respond quickly. In Patterson's case, it may reflect the truth. He's not a quick learner.

what was TJ Grahams? I'm trying to figure out how smart you need to be to know to run IN FRONT of the safeties on a slant pattern in the endzone

So that it would have been well over his head, and even further behind him? It's a read/judgement call... he nobly took the blame, but looked like a horrible throw no matter what. Graham sounds pretty smarty, bet he got a 20 or more.

So that it would have been well over his head, and even further behind him? It's a read/judgement call... he nobly took the blame, but looked like a horrible throw no matter what. Graham sounds pretty smarty, bet he got a 20 or more.

If he ran in front of the safety then it was a TD. Because he didn't the safety stepped in front and it was an INT. TJ's response after the game was "that's probably why I don't play very much." He doesn't sound that smart to me. He should stick to track and field

what was TJ Grahams? I'm trying to figure out how smart you need to be to know to run IN FRONT of the safeties on a slant pattern in the endzone

Apparently he's not as smart as fritz.....the guy who threw the ball to the guy not in position.

Hence Kelly and Marino.

I'm guessing that these WRs looked at that test and doodled on the answer sheet because they know that after that entire process of the combine, interviews and pro days, no team is gong to make any decision where to take them based on those test results.

Edited by Mr. WEO

If he ran in front of the safety then it was a TD. Because he didn't the safety stepped in front and it was an INT. TJ's response after the game was "that's probably why I don't play very much." He doesn't sound that smart to me. He should stick to track and field

or he was saving Fitz like i said by throwing himself under the bus. Chan didn't say he run it wrong, said it was up to him to read it.

the ball was barely caught by a leaping DB. anyone in front of him, it would be uncatchable and over their head by 6 fet. it was also about 10 feet behind TJ, even after running the deeper route, so it would have been even further behind him if he broke in sooner. it's science.

at the very least, knowing hes illiterate before you bring him into camp might help you with the transition and teaching process.

Todd McShay said this morning on Mike&Mike that Patterson has fallen down the draft board because he has a tough time recognizing where to go in certain defensive alignments or in blitzing situations...not that McShay is a super reliable source, but this is what he heard from other GM's. I guess the Wonderlic is supposed to gauge a players ability to analyze and respond quickly. In Patterson's case, it may reflect the truth. He's not a quick learner.

Learning a route tree or understanding blitz adjustments is simply not that complicated for a WR. Now on the other hand a QB or MLB, it might be an indicator I'd consider. WR not so much IMO.

These are meaningless, Morris Claiborne got a 4 last year and now he's one of the best young corners in the league. Also we had the guy who had the highest score ever for a QB (Fitz) and look how he turned out.

Edited by cosmo

Learning a route tree or understanding blitz adjustments is simply not that complicated for a WR. Now on the other hand a QB or MLB, it might be an indicator I'd consider. WR not so much IMO.

I’ve got to disagree with you on this part. IMO, it’s very difficult and one of the reasons it takes many young WRs a few years to make an impact and why so many of them flame out. The WR has to read the defense the exact same way the QB does or the timing and/or the route could be way off. Rarely does the WR just line up and run a set pattern like many of them did in college, there are so many adjustments built into just about every play. The best example I can think of to give you is the Steelers vs. Cowgirls SB in the mid 90’s. The WR and QB weren’t on the same page at least twice. The QB read the defense one way, the WR another. It lead to 2 big INTs and most of us knowing who Larry Brown is.

Edited by cnico

I’ve got to disagree with you on this part. IMO, it’s very difficult and one of the reasons it takes many young WRs a few years to make an impact and why so many of them flame out. The WR has to read the defense the exact same way the QB does or the timing and/or the route could be way off. Rarely does the WR just line up and run a set pattern like many of them did in college, there are so many adjustments built into just about every play. The best example I can think of to give you is the Steelers vs. Cowgirls SB in the mid 90’s. The WR and QB weren’t on the same page at least twice. The QB read the defense one way, the WR another. They weren’t on the same page and it lead to 2 big INTs and most of us knowing who Larry Brown is.

It's more a matter of experience and repetition vs. intelligence IMO.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

These are meaningless, Morris Claiborne got a 4 last year and now he's one of the best young corners in the league. Also we had the guy who had the highest score ever for a QB (Fitz) and look how he turned out.

always exceptions to the rule, Dan Marino is another example of someone who scored low and turned out pretty good.

intelligence is not meaningless, its just another piece of the puzzle (for me, an important piece).

always exceptions to the rule, Dan Marino is another example of someone who scored low and turned out pretty good.

intelligence is not meaningless, its just another piece of the puzzle (for me, an important piece).

I agree, I just don't believe that you can measure someone's intelligence with a number out of 50.

I agree, I just don't believe that you can measure someone's intelligence with a number out of 50.

sounds like someone didnt do well on tests?

truly, a 50 question test will never be able to tell the whole story or anything close to it.... but when putting together a thorough composite on the guys make up - especially extremely high or low scores - tell you something. at the low end, you drill down on these guys and figure out if its an attitude issue, or a learning disability.

It's more a matter of experience and repetition vs. intelligence IMO.

I don’t completely disagree with that but if the coaching staff and/or the QB doesn’t trust that the WR will be where they’re supposed to be consistently, they’ll never get that experience or repetition because they’ll be on the bench. They’ve got to show some progress in practice and in meetings to prove that they are mentally getting it.

Do those scores surprise anyone? Have you listened to these guys talk? English is their first language, almost across the board, yet they cannot even speak clearly half the time. There is no way half the NFL players would've graduated from college had they not been pushed through - irregardless of their scores. I'm guessing many of them had people doing their homework for them, and had special testing areas, and the ability to retake tests with help. There's just no way, listening to many of these guys - with DEGREES - they went through and passed 4 yr college courses on their own.

All that being said - it probably doesn't make much of a difference unless you're an offense that expects the WR's to know all the positions and to make a lot of decisions on the fly. Most of these guys have been doing it for years, irregardless.

I always hated the SAT, LSAT, MCAT etc....get rid of them all.

I remember taking mine at NTHS. It was TNT week and my friends all wanted me to skip the test and get high.

I rushed the test, got a good grade and still fulfilled my friends wishes.

Some guys did terrible. My favorite Robert Woods looks good. According to the score, Tavon Austin is illiterate. These scores probably don't mean as much for WRs as it does for QBs but its still fun to see how these guys do.

https://mobile.twitter.com/OptimumScouting/status/324910201012645888

Rotoworld had this to say about Patterson,

"Scouts from 10 different teams have reportedly expressed reservations regarding Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson's mental acuity.

It's a fancy way of saying the scouts don't think Patterson is smart. He reportedly wasn't impressive during team interviews at the Combine and scored an 11 on the 50-question Wonderlic test. "Mentally, it's going to be a project," one personnel man told the Journal-Sentinel. "Running routes, he doesn't know how to do any of that stuff. You may have to keep it simple for him, but this is football. It's not building a super glider or anything."

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel Apr 18 - 11:13 AM

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football/

Edited by KollegeStudnet

sounds like someone didnt do well on tests?

truly, a 50 question test will never be able to tell the whole story or anything close to it.... but when putting together a thorough composite on the guys make up - especially extremely high or low scores - tell you something. at the low end, you drill down on these guys and figure out if its an attitude issue, or a learning disability.

Haha actually I wasn't too bad at these kinds of tests, and I don't buy that excuse of "I'm smart but I'm not a good test taker". I just don't think that a player's wonderlic score has anything to do with how good of a football player he is. They should have a test that measures a player's knowledge relating to football like identifying coverages, memorizing playbooks and stuff.

https://mobile.twitt...910201012645888

Yep. That is where the scouting phrase "slow blinker" comes from.