Eugene Cyril "Geno" Smith III - QB - West Virginia

While what you say is true, it was very different. I hadn't seen one of these since the first year he did it and then I watched last night, and it was night and day. We don't get to see these kids get asked the tough questions the way they are in team interviews, and for me that was what was so cool about it. Last night he didn't once ask Geno about anything he doesn't do well, just focused on his strengths the whole time. It was like a half hour commercial for Geno and the WV offense.

You do still get to a see a bit more of their personalities than usual, which is interesting.

They did show the one fumbled snap that Geno had in a bowl game

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While what you say is true, it was very different. I hadn't seen one of these since the first year he did it and then I watched last night, and it was night and day. We don't get to see these kids get asked the tough questions the way they are in team interviews, and for me that was what was so cool about it. Last night he didn't once ask Geno about anything he doesn't do well, just focused on his strengths the whole time. It was like a half hour commercial for Geno and the WV offense.

You do still get to a see a bit more of their personalities than usual, which is interesting.

i didnt see all of the geno episode, but ive seen a good chunk of them through the years.

he still has been asking a lot of guys the "what went wrong here" type of questions. Luck with the spider 2 y banana stuff instantly comes to mind from last year and the bad INT he tossed.

he doesnt challenge them as hard, but id bet agents told him to fluff it up a bit or their players wouldnt go on. if he loses just a fraction of the top qbs he no longer has a show. its an interesting balancing act.

I took this from the Philadelphia Daily News which Mayock contributes to before the draft

I'm not his biggest fan but a lot of people on here like him and I didnt see this posted anywhere. He also listed a Riser and Sleeper. I like Bray in the second but dont think he will be there when the Bills pick because I see a run on QBs at the bottom on the first through the top of the second

QUARTERBACKS

THE BEST

Geno Smith, West Virginia (6-2, 218)

40-time: 4.59

Hands: 9 1/4 inches

Round Projection: 1

Mayock: "He has all of the components of a franchise quarterback, but is not consistent enough on tape for me. He doesn’t have very good pocket awareness. He had something like 32 fumbles at West Virginia.

"He has no awareness of the rush surrounding him. I don’t sense a feel in the pocket to slide and move at all. I don’t sense an internal clock when he’s standing inside his own five-yard line. Common sense things I’d love to see and don’t.

"His deep-ball accuracy is erratic. I mean really erratic. Guys wide open (that he missed). Six to eight touchdowns that he threw away this year. He played horribly in the Bowl game in the snow (Pinstripe Bowl) and he also played poorly in the cold and wind at Iowa State. I’m not sure what that means other than it disturbs me. For me, there’s a bunch of different red flags, and it doesn’t add up to a top-10 quarterback. Or even top 20."

THE RISER

Tyler Bray, Tennessee (6-6, 232)

40-time: 5.05

Round Projection: 2-3

Mayock: "I think people are starting to recognize his arm talent and are digging deeper into what kind of kid he is, which was the knock. He’s got big-time arm talent. There’s no way he’ll get out of the third round, and it wouldn’t surprise me if he went in the second."

THE SLEEPER

Sean Renfree, Duke (6-3, 219)

40-time: 4.76

Hands: 9 inches

Round Projection: 5-6

Mayock: "He hurt his shoulder on the last snap of their bowl game and might not even get drafted. But he’s got the best anticipation and time of any quarterback in this draft. Part of it is because he’s got an average arm and has to. (Duke head coach) David Cutliffe told me that Sean approaches the game with a work ethic and passion similar to Peyton Manning’s."

Edited by Max997

I took this from the Philadelphia Daily News which Mayock contributes to before the draft

I'm not his biggest fan but a lot of people on here like him and I didnt see this posted anywhere. He also listed a Riser and Sleeper. I like Bray in the second but dont think he will be there when the Bills pick because I see a run on QBs at the bottom on the first through the top of the second

QUARTERBACKS

THE BEST

Geno Smith, West Virginia (6-2, 218)

40-time: 4.59

Round Projection: 1

Mayock: "He has all of the components of a franchise quarterback, but is not consistent enough on tape for me. He doesn’t have very good pocket awareness. He had something like 32 fumbles at West Virginia.

"He has no awareness of the rush surrounding him. I don’t sense a feel in the pocket to slide and move at all. I don’t sense an internal clock when he’s standing inside his own five-yard line. Common sense things I’d love to see and don’t.

"His deep-ball accuracy is erratic. I mean really erratic. Guys wide open (that he missed). Six to eight touchdowns that he threw away this year. He played horribly in the Bowl game in the snow (Pinstripe Bowl) and he also played poorly in the cold and wind at Iowa State. I’m not sure what that means other than it disturbs me. For me, there’s a bunch of different red flags, and it doesn’t add up to a top-10 quarterback. Or even top 20."

THE RISER

Tyler Bray, Tennessee (6-6, 232)

40-time: 5.05

Round Projection: 2-3

Mayock: "I think people are starting to recognize his arm talent and are digging deeper into what kind of kid he is, which was the knock. He’s got big-time arm talent. There’s no way he’ll get out of the third round, and it wouldn’t surprise me if he went in the second."

THE SLEEPER

Sean Renfree, Duke (6-3, 219)

40-time: 4.76

Hands: 9 inches

Round Projection: 5-6

Mayock: "He hurt his shoulder on the last snap of their bowl game and might not even get drafted. But he’s got the best anticipation and time of any quarterback in this draft. Part of it is because he’s got an average arm and has to. (Duke head coach) David Cutliffe told me that Sean approaches the game with a work ethic and passion similar to Peyton Manning’s."

Tyler Bray has way more upside than Geno Smith. And look at the conferences they played in. Smith in the Big East and Big 12 (WVA switched last season) where the defenses are down rite awful. And Bray in the SEC, where defense is paramount. Smith is lacking in the intangible dept, based on what Mayock is saying and the other scouting report that came out earlier this week. If I am a GM, no way I am taking Geno Smith with a top 10 pick. Way too many questions about his game. If Bray is there in the second round we need to take him. He has a gunslingers mentality. And I like that he has some attitude. We have been missing that for a long time, especially at QB.

yep, gotta keep up on that Phillies news.

also saw/heard this the other day, word for word, on nfl network.. they were asking him after the Nawrocki comments. if Geno is too risky for the first, Bray is way too risky for the 2nd. maybe in the 3rd or 4th.

as i've stated, i don't think you bring in Kolb to a decent contract if you are drafting a guy at 8. drafting a guy at 8 these days means you start him. you may have cheap competition for the rookie, but you don't sign a 6 million per year FA to go against a top 10 pick. i think they wait on QB until at least later in the first round.

Tyler Bray has way more upside than Geno Smith. And look at the conferences they played in. Smith in the Big East and Big 12 (WVA switched last season) where the defenses are down rite awful. And Bray in the SEC, where defense is paramount. Smith is lacking in the intangible dept, based on what Mayock is saying and the other scouting report that came out earlier this week. If I am a GM, no way I am taking Geno Smith with a top 10 pick. Way too many questions about his game. If Bray is there in the second round we need to take him. He has a gunslingers mentality. And I like that he has some attitude. We have been missing that for a long time, especially at QB.

Look...I understand what you're trying to say...But there is no way Bray has more upside than Geno...Upside is the high-end potential...Geno is not just a good, but an excellent athlete at QB with a very good arm...He has almost unlimited upside...Bray is a skinny tall kid with a great arm, especially a great deep arm...But he's slow footed...He's not going to be able to extend many plays...That's where Geno's upside surpasses Bray easily...If he becomes the QB he can based on his athletic ability he can throw it, run it, or scramble to buy time...That's a lot of upside...

I'm not saying that Bray will not become a better NFL QB in time...He very well may...But if it's true upside potential were talking about Geno and Manuel are 1,2 in this Draft because they are incredible athletes along with having very good NFL arms... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Has any QB ever looked bad or not smart on Gruden's QB Camp?

Great sports entertainment though. And that's their objective. However, it adds no value to a QBs draft status.

Gruden's might not... but you can bet the team's own, similar, evals do. I'm definitely going to check these out for all the QB's. but i agree with the above... that when i saw Mariucci talk to Geno Smith it wasn't good, and without trying very hard i seemed to remember more than he did. Usually i'm totally lost, and usually those guys remember it pretty good except for maybe one thing.

Regardless, despite all these visit Bills are doing with these QB's, i don't think we're taking one at 8. or maybe it is an indicator that it's so many.. most of these guys are not a consideration at 8.. i think they are determined to find out who the best one is when they get their 2nd or 3rd pick.

he has some issues when asked to repeat, communicate, or break down plays. my non-football watching girlfriend answered mooch's questions correctly and quicker than geno

keep in mind this is at the tail end of the combine and these players have been pushed through 3 solid days of little sleep and a 100 interviews.

One thing is for sure. Geno Smith is a very intelligent guy.

Then Geno is a great pick up at #8 for the Bills. He ran a up tempo Offense at WVU, he made on field adjustments, and he had success doing so. The Bills will be running an up tempo west coast spread hybrid, and Geno 's accuracy and college experience make him a good fit for Buffalo

and I don't want Tyler Wilson in any round

Edited by shibuya

http://youtu.be/Vv-VdQRYvyc

If you're interested to see how Geno breaks down film and interviews with Gruden this is worth a watch.

Thanks for posting this. I hadn't seen it. If nothing else, it should put to rest the ridiculous notion and completely anti-football assertion that Geno Smith is a "one-read" QB or that he only reads "half" the field.

GO BILLS!!!

Gruden said "he's got size, athletic ability and can really throw the ball". I was excited until I realized that this description applied to Rob Johnson as well. I can't even act like I know about any of the QBs this year. I just hope they get it right at OBD.

keep in mind this is at the tail end of the combine and these players have been pushed through 3 solid days of little sleep and a 100 interviews.

One thing is for sure. Geno Smith is a very intelligent guy.

Then Geno is a great pick up at #8 for the Bills. He ran a up tempo Offense at WVU, he made on field adjustments, and he had success doing so. The Bills will be running an up tempo west coast spread hybrid, and Geno 's accuracy and college experience make him a good fit for Buffalo

and I don't want Tyler Wilson in any round

And Doug Maroone was 3-0 against Geno Smith with a less talented Syracuse team...

And Doug Maroone was 3-0 against Geno Smith with a less talented Syracuse team...

Less talented team on offense. The West Virginia defense was one of the worst in college. Geno has the most overall tools to succeed. Ej has similar tools but is far less accurate throwing the deep ball. Geno ran a complicated no huddle scheme with many reads. I don't know if he'll be a star but I believe he will be the first QB drafted this year. Even if he lost to Syracuse all 3 times.