Eugene Cyril "Geno" Smith III - QB - West Virginia

I have been off the Geno bandwagon since last year. I have referenced the game in the dome when I watched him and his demeanor on the sideline. Then I read this:

But when it was over, after a 38-14 loss to Syracuse in the Pinstripe Bowl on Dec. 29, Smith sat dejected on the bus back to the hotel while Spavital tried to tell him what he had meant to West Virginia. Smith didn't appear to be listening.

"Man, I thought I was playing pretty well," Smith told him. "But going 7-6 makes me feel like I did nothing this year."

then this from the same article:

He commands intense loyalty from teammates. There was an infamous bench-clearing brawl at a Miramar High game back in 2007, and more than 50 players from Miramar and Flanagan were suspended in what was called Broward County's largest on-field fight. The fight started, Miramar coach Damon Cogdell said, after a late hit delivered on Smith, who was among those suspended. "He was pulling his own guys away," Cogdell said.

and this:

Smith had a quiet confidence when he stepped on campus in Morgantown, former Mountaineer Jarrett Brown said. Brown was his host on a recruiting trip. Smith didn't want to go out on the town. At one point, Brown asked whether he was too boring for him, and Smith said no. He just wanted to soak in what his future teammates had to say.

He was the No. 2 quarterback as a freshman and had to fill in for Brown when he got hurt. "He's not cocky," Brown said. "He was quiet, he did his job, and he came in and helped us win."

and now I don't know :bag: I'm sure this is a fluff piece but these are the things I thought he was missing... Now I'm not so sure.

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

such varied opinions of him make trading up,at the least, seem foolish. some guys from some scouting/draft publication were on wgr sunday morning and had him the 6th ranked QB, and 103rd best playeroverall. they could be wrong of course, but they are not alone... does not seem like the guy you give up 2 first rounders for. he just hasn't shown enough to be that sure about him.

Was it KKK Draft Inc?

You have to be kidding me.

I've shared this before but with merges, locks etc... Think its worth noting and not sure if or where the previous posts exist... A lot of perspective of the man that he is and how it translated to the field as he grew up

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/29/sports/ncaafootball/geno-smith-and-the-art-of-football-at-west-virginia.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Edited by NoSaint

Yep especially if you leave out the statistic of wins and Losses and the intangible of leadership ability which ranks near the bottom

Individuals in a team game like football do not have a win loss record. Cam newton doesn't have a w-L record. The Panthers have a win loss record. Buddy Nix doesn't have a win loss record, The Bills team does. Back to Cam though, the fact that he has infact been so good statistically yet his teams w/l record is inferior points to other areas of concern. Is Cam perfect, no of course not, but he has been very good. Just because he hates losing and is vocal about that fact doesn't mean he can't lead.

According to NFL.com, a former NFL scout named Daniel Jeremiah tweeted this:

"Here are the QB matches I hear most often from NFL sources: Bills-Geno, AZ-Glennon, JAX-Nassib, PHI-Manuel…for what it's worth.

Jeremiah also said he'd be "surprised" if Matt Scott escapes the third round. Several teams are buzzing around the Arizona prospect."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000154843/article/jeremiah-eagles-focused-on-florida-qb-ej-manuel?campaign=Twitter_atl

"Here are the QB matches I hear most often from NFL sources: Bills-Geno, AZ-Glennon, JAX-Nassib, PHI-Manuel…for what it's worth.

Jeremiah also said he'd be "surprised" if Matt Scott escapes the third round. Several teams are buzzing around the Arizona prospect."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000154843/article/jeremiah-eagles-focused-on-florida-qb-ej-manuel?campaign=Twitter_atl

really just taking stabs based on bits and pieces we can scrap together but if he is interested in running a high tempo, spread style offense, without the need for an option runner but valuing mobility still.... geno is the guy.

if he is wanting to build an offense around someone, or has a different offense in mind.... well, we will see.

http://www.nfl.com/n...ign=Twitter_atl

I think that Matt Scott is the "stealth" QB in this draft. In that, he's regarded as a middle round project by the "experts" and draft blogs, when in reality he's probably one of the highest rated QBs in this draft class by the NFL team scouts.

Since it's getting out that Scott's already being projected as a third round pick, that means the "stealth"ness is wearing off. That means NFL teams won't get him on the cheap and if one of the many teams want him they will have to spend a second round pick on him.

Also, I thought this was very strange...

UPDATE: Manuel worked out for the Eagles on Thursday and will work out for the Cincinnati Bengals on Friday, the Cincinnati Enquirer reported.

I wonder what the great Andy Dalton thinks about that?...LOL

Did anyone notice that the QB that many of us want (Geno) was only 3 months old when the Bills played in Super Bowl XXV? I just thought this was funny. Funny? I mean sad.

Funny? Funny how? Like a clown? Whaddya mean, funny? It amuses you? It makes you laugh? Funny how?

GO BILLS!!!

I think that Matt Scott is the "stealth" QB in this draft. In that, he's regarded as a middle round project by the "experts" and draft blogs, when in reality he's probably one of the highest rated QBs in this draft class by the NFL team scouts.

Since it's getting out that Scott's already being projected as a third round pick, that means the "stealth"ness is wearing off. That means NFL teams won't get him on the cheap and if one of the many teams want him they will have to spend a second round pick on him.

Also, I thought this was very strange...

UPDATE: Manuel worked out for the Eagles on Thursday and will work out for the Cincinnati Bengals on Friday, the Cincinnati Enquirer reported.

I wonder what the great Andy Dalton thinks about that?...LOL

Why do you think this? He is undersized and a one-year starter who didn't put up outstanding stats. Now, I know that there is more to scouting than college statistics, but I do think it is a red-flag that he is a one-year starter. I know that some like Nick Foles, whom Scott sat behind, but Foles (until proven otherwise) is a marginal NFL prospect - perhaps can carve out a nice career backup role. It isn't like he was sitting behind Andrew Luck.

Please understand that I am not challenging your opinion - after all, your opinion is as valid as mine, I just want to understand why you think so highly of Matt Scott.

Why do you think this? He is undersized and a one-year starter who didn't put up outstanding stats. Now, I know that there is more to scouting than college statistics, but I do think it is a red-flag that he is a one-year starter. I know that some like Nick Foles, whom Scott sat behind, but Foles (until proven otherwise) is a marginal NFL prospect - perhaps can carve out a nice career backup role. It isn't like he was sitting behind Andrew Luck.

Please understand that I am not challenging your opinion - after all, your opinion is as valid as mine, I just want to understand why you think so highly of Matt Scott.

I understand that my opinion is an outlier here and mostly everywhere. I'll try to explain my thinking regarding Matt Scott. There was apparently a whole lot of NFL personnel at Arizona's pro day. From everything I've read about that day, there was a very real "buzz" going on with Matt Scott. Why is this? What's the reason? I think that the NFL is on the cusp of welcoming a new breed of QB and a new brand of football which will eventually dominate the game. Matt Scott fits the mold. He's got it all except the long record. He's fast, athletic, can sling the ball like nobody's business, he's very competitive, he rocked both Stanford's and USC's defenses, he showed a great comback in his bowl game. Yet, the draft echo chamber only talks about the same six or seven guys not named Scott. It's very weird to me. The drop back QBs are going to dwindle with each and every year, just watch. Matt Scott is the new breed and can probably be had with our 2nd rd pick.

IMO NFL teams don't want to let another future rock star like Kaepernick or Wilson slide through their fingers. I truly believe that Scott is the guy NFL teams are tagging as this year's hidden rock star. That draft guy said round three is where he goes? Since that's out there I say he goes in round two. Is he raw? Yes, but who cares if it will take only a year before he's having success like Kaepernick or Wilson. As for the one year thing, his previous coach wanted to run a classic drop back offense which was obviously going to be Foles, so Scott decided to take a redshirt year and kicked butt in his one and done year with Rodriquez. He needs some smoothing out, but I have a feeling this guy is going to be very good.

This is a strange year where everyone is all over the place on this QB class. It sucks that whichever QB the Bills do end up drafting, he will have a large group that wasn't in favor drafting him for the Bills QB of the future.

Edited by 1billsfan

I understand that my opinion is an outlier here and mostly everywhere. I'll try to explain my thinking regarding Matt Scott. There was apparently a whole lot of NFL personnel at Arizona's pro day. From everything I've read about that day, there was a very real "buzz" going on with Matt Scott. Why is this? What's the reason? I think that the NFL is on the cusp of welcoming a new breed of QB and a new brand of football which will eventually dominate the game. Matt Scott fits the mold. He's got it all except the long record. He's fast, athletic, can sling the ball like nobody's business, he's very competitive, he rocked both Stanford's and USC's defenses, he showed a great comback in his bowl game. Yet, the draft echo chamber only talks about the same six or seven guys not named Scott. It's very weird to me. The drop back QBs are going to dwindle with each and every year, just watch. Matt Scott is the new breed and can probably be had with our 2nd rd pick.

IMO NFL teams don't want to let another future rock star like Kaepernick or Wilson slide through their fingers. I truly believe that Scott is the guy NFL teams are tagging as this year's hidden rock star. That draft guy said round three is where he goes? Since that's out there I say he goes in round two. Is he raw? Yes, but who cares if it will take only a year before he's having success like Kaepernick or Wilson. As for the one year thing, his previous coach wanted to run a classic drop back offense which was obviously going to be Foles, so Scott decided to take a redshirt year and kicked butt in his one and done year with Rodriquez. He needs some smoothing out, but I have a feeling this guy is going to be very good.

This is a strange year where everyone is all over the place on this QB class. It sucks that whichever QB the Bills do end up drafting, he will have a large group that wasn't in favor drafting him for the Bills QB of the future.

That's a good post and you're probably right about GMs and drafting guys.

Be prepared for a crap-load of lousy quarterbacks overdrafted in the first three rounds for a couple years.