Eugene Cyril "Geno" Smith III - QB - West Virginia

The problem is I feel strongly the Eagles will take him at #4. They have Vick to be the veteran to groom Smith for one year or maybe even just a half year. Chip Kelly's offense largely depends on a mobile quarterback and I think they will take Geno Smith as their QB of the future.

I either hope we get lucky and they don't take him or Buddy Nix has the sack to trade up in front of them.

Is Geno Smith really a mobile QB? I thought he was more of a traditional pocket passer.

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with BB.

I think Hackett-Marrone can do more with a RD2 QB than we think (see what Marrone & Co. did with sub-.500 team in New Orleans with a short, accurate QB named Brees). And I think our 31st ranked defense needs the #8 pick.

Going with Jarvis and Okafor first two picks, nice :thumbsup:

I'm thinking same thing but with FA Kruger and Simon in the third, don't want to pass on the quality O-line in this draft.

I agree with BB.

I think Hackett-Marrone can do more with a RD2 QB than we think (see what Marrone & Co. did with sub-.500 team in New Orleans with a short, accurate QB named Brees). And I think our 31st ranked defense needs the #8 pick.

I'm not so sure...Nix spent 15 Picks in the last 3 drafts, including 7 in 2011 alone, on Defense. And how did that work out? I don't believe any position will get priority over QB in 2013...That means if there is not a QB The Bills want at #8, then trade back a bit...and still Draft a QB in the 1st...I certainly hope Buddy has leaned his lesson concerning Drafting for "need." The lesson is, there is no need greater than QB... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Are u out of your mind, we need more than a QB to build our team. Oakland just gave away a boat load of picks to Cincinnati and look where they are. Marrone owned West Virginia and Smith everytime. We need a linebacker and then a QB 2nd round.

Forget linebacker. If the only thing the Bills accomplish in the next two years is to acquire a franchise QB, these two years will have been a success.

You can get good, solid linebackers later in the draft.

Stats dont mean everything, but I ask everyone that hasnt seen them yet to take a good look at Smith's stats over the last 3 years of starting.

http://espn.go.com/c...8025/geno-smith

The Completion Percentage. The Yards per Attempt. The TD:INT ratio... The TD:INT ratio...

Then add in his arm and ability to make all the throws, with touch, or with heat, or deep. And he does it accurately.

Then add in his ability to learn a new offense in the middle of his college career, and his drive to excel in it.

Then add in his mobility and ability to burn you on the ground.

The only place I question him is in his heart or toughness. But I havent been in the huddle, or on the sideline, or in the locker room with him, so I dont know. I'll leave that to the professionals to figure out in the interviews.

But as it stands, Im willing to invest multiple picks in order to bring him to Buffalo.

This is the reservation I have about Smith. I was very close to the WVU sideline at the dome in 2011. It was Chandler Jones coming out party (and why I was so high on him last year) and Cuse absolutely smashed what was the 11th ranked wvu team. The final score ended up being 49-23. Geno threw 2 picks and was sacked 4 times (as an interesting aside Marrone won all 3 of the games against WVU that Smith started holding the O to 14, 23, and 14 points - he must know something about Smith's weaknesses) I went to the game expecting SU to get blown out but was looking forward to seeing Smith in action. He wasn't good. Bad days are bad days and normally that wouldn't be the end all be all, but his demeanor was concerning. He went from (all of this is imo) apathetic in the early going to laughing it up on the sidelines late. I didn't see a rah-rah rally the troops leader. I didn't see a guy that frankly seemed to care very much.

The stats are there and so is the accuracy but I can't shake that night whenever Smith is mentioned.

btw what is up with these chicken little sky is falling threads? Levitre is leaving, SMith will be gone!!! Do people around here just enjoy being miserable and fearing the worst?!?! I know we're Bills fans but come on...

I like Geno, but Tavon Austin is the player from the neers that you don't want to miss out on. You guys are saying you want Percy Harvin, this guy is a younger faster version. The ideal draft should go:

1. Linebacker from Georgia

2. Tavon Austin

3. Best Available - Kiko Alonso for Oregon could be a reach here but he's a head hunter

4. Tyler Bray or Zak Dysert

5. Ryan Swope from A&M. Poor man's Welker

Edited by hercuhatty

This is the reservation I have about Smith. I was very close to the WVU sideline at the dome in 2011. It was Chandler Jones coming out party (and why I was so high on him last year) and Cuse absolutely smashed what was the 11th ranked wvu team. The final score ended up being 49-23. Geno threw 2 picks and was sacked 4 times (as an interesting aside Marrone won all 3 of the games against WVU that Smith started holding the O to 14, 23, and 14 points - he must know something about Smith's weaknesses) I went to the game expecting SU to get blown out but was looking forward to seeing Smith in action. He wasn't good. Bad days are bad days and normally that wouldn't be the end all be all, but his demeanor was concerning. He went from (all of this is imo) apathetic in the early going to laughing it up on the sidelines late. I didn't see a rah-rah rally the troops leader. I didn't see a guy that frankly seemed to care very much.

The stats are there and so is the accuracy but I can't shake that night whenever Smith is mentioned.

btw what is up with these chicken little sky is falling threads? Levitre is leaving, SMith will be gone!!! Do people around here just enjoy being miserable and fearing the worst?!?! I know we're Bills fans but come on...

I normally don't follow college football; which means my knowledge of college QBs is limited. That said, what you've written above is an extremely serious concern. The last thing I want on my team is a player who's laughing and joking on the sidelines while his team is losing. I'd sooner expect to see Bill from NYC advocate trading up for a DB than to see a QB like Brady or Rodgers laugh and joke during the middle of a putrid performance.

Ok, everybody's throwing out there that he is a pure pocket passer and is not a running threat. While it is true his primary game is as a pocket passer (a good thing in my opinion because you don't have to untrain a run-first mentality), he certainly has the ability to hurt you bad with his legs. He is not Colin Kaepernick with his legs, that is clear. Geno Smith's and Tim Tebow's 40 times are both in the 4.7's and Smith has not even trained to better his 40 time for the NFL combine. If I recall correctly, Tim Tebow can really hurt teams with his legs but sucks as a passer, therefore Smith has the speed to do the same with waaaaay better pocket QB skills. If you don't believe it, watch the first play of the youtube clip below. It makes it quite clear that he can do serious damage with his legs.

Defenses would have to respect this and the explosiveness of CJ spiller possibly leaving wide open gaps in the secondary for deep balls. Plus our O-Line is high quality.

Get it done Buddy!

I will admit this is a bit of a concern. You need a guy who lives and dies with winning. In interviews I have seen with him, he seems to be that guy who has fire and determination; who works hard and leads vocally and by example. This story surprises me. I hope this one anecdote is not indicative of his true competitive spirit. I don't think it is.

The only quarterback I want in this draft is Geno Smith. He has a unique skill set that you could build an offense around especially if you are innovative and adapt schemes to players strengths. Add his dynamic skillset to CJ Spiller in the backfield and you could have a dangerous offense.

What people on here seem to underestimate as well are leadership characteristics in a QB. I believe Geno Smith possesses great leadership qualities. He has a great positive attitude. He can handle the media with class, dignity and confidence. He also has a slight "edge" to him that guys would follow.

I think all the other QBs will basically be like Tannehills, Ponders; just mediocre guys who will never be a franchise quarterback.

The problem is I feel strongly the Eagles will take him at #4. They have Vick to be the veteran to groom Smith for one year or maybe even just a half year. Chip Kelly's offense largely depends on a mobile quarterback and I think they will take Geno Smith as their QB of the future.

I either hope we get lucky and they don't take him or Buddy Nix has the sack to trade up in front of them.

I wouldn't let Vick groom my dog! Oh wait, poor choice of words.

The only quarterback I want in this draft is Geno Smith. He has a unique skill set that you could build an offense around especially if you are innovative and adapt schemes to players strengths. Add his dynamic skillset to CJ Spiller in the backfield and you could have a dangerous offense.

What people on here seem to underestimate as well are leadership characteristics in a QB. I believe Geno Smith possesses great leadership qualities. He has a great positive attitude. He can handle the media with class, dignity and confidence. He also has a slight "edge" to him that guys would follow.

I think all the other QBs will basically be like Tannehills, Ponders; just mediocre guys who will never be a franchise quarterback.

Unique like Vick, Kaepernick, Locker, Russel Wilson, RG3, and every other mobile NFL QB?

Unique like Vick, Kaepernick, Locker, Russel Wilson, RG3, and every other mobile NFL QB?

Yeah and everyone of those QBs other than Locker would be a big upgrade at the QB position for the Bills. Plus I think his pocket passing skills and leadership qualities coming out of college are superior to most on that list.

Edited by The Voice of Truth

Yeah and everyone of those QBs other than Locker would be a big upgrade at the QB position for the Bills. Plus I think his pocket passing skills and leadership qualities coming out of college are superior to most on that list.

Geno Smith's skill sets are no longer "unique" my friend. I was on this Geno Smith bandwagon way before the Smith train picked up steam but I'm off the wagon now. Not impressed anymore.

I think we should be more worried about the Chiefs taking him. I don't think there's a chance in hell that he falls past the Chiefs, Raiders AND Cardinals (who have QB problems worse than ours). The Eagles MAY want to pick up a new QB as well. The only team which (as far as I know) isn't in desperate need are the Lions, who pick at 5 and anyone below us will have a lot better pick leverage. Remember the high cost of getting RGIII? If Smith falls to 8, great. If not, I think Wilson is a great choice.

They can have him. He went from being the Heisman front runner to not even being invited to the ceremony. The guy has a great arm but crumpled under better competition and showed the predictability of the offense (Holgersens fault). He is not nearly the athlete RG3 is. Look at all of his highlights, there is no check down or progressions, just snap and throw. He wont be able to hit his #1 WR in the NFL and he doesnt have the chops to tuck and run. Hes a nice player but agree not a #1 overall pick.

I already posted this but please watch the first play of this clip before commenting again on Geno's mobility. It is true that he has pocket passer skills, but he has run potential that has been underutilized. If anybody thinks Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Tony Romo, Sam Bradford, Matt Cassel or any other traditional pocket passer can make this run, then they are kidding themselves. The first play of the youtube video below shows he has the mobility to really hurt teams. Do not comment on his mobility until you watch it.

They can have him. He went from being the Heisman front runner to not even being invited to the ceremony. The guy has a great arm but crumpled under better competition and showed the predictability of the offense (Holgersens fault). He is not nearly the athlete RG3 is. Look at all of his highlights, there is no check down or progressions, just snap and throw. He wont be able to hit his #1 WR in the NFL and he doesnt have the chops to tuck and run. Hes a nice player but agree not a #1 overall pick.

So you make 3 knocks on the guy. The first one being incorrect. The second you admit isnt his fault. And the third has already been proven false in this very thread, embarrassingly so. That's some strong offseason posting, right there.

So you make 3 knocks on the guy. The first one being incorrect. The second you admit isnt his fault. And the third has already been proven false in this very thread, embarrassingly so. That's some strong offseason posting, right there.

Please explain how the first part was incorrect. Secondly after he and the offense became predictable he did nothing to transcend his play, the guy was an after thought after going 5-0. Way to check a highlight reel to get the true feel of a player, typical wall moron.

Please explain how the first part was incorrect.

He had two bad games, against Texas Tech and Kansas St. But also played well against Baylor, Texas, and Oklahoma. Those were unfortunately the toughest teams WVU faced this year. He did not "crumble under better competition".

As a matter of fact, in the games were it was truly QB vs QB in a shoot-out, such as Baylor, he won the shoot-out going 45/51 (88%) for 656 yards and 8 TDs. That is with his defense putting all the pressure on him to keep the scoring going so they could win 70-63.

Secondly after he and the offense became predictable he did nothing to transcend his play, the guy was an after thought after going 5-0. Way to check a highlight reel to get the true feel of a player, typical wall moron.

Highlight reel? I watched every one of WVU's games (that was televised) this year, and have watched him play his previous 2 years. He regularly works through his progressions and was heralded all year as being a student of the game. If you are referring to the video posted in this thread, it's not a highlight reel. Unless you want to tell me he has a 14+ minute highlight reel. In which case, I'll again argue that he's worth our pick.

He had two bad games, against Texas Tech and Kansas St. But also played well against Baylor, Texas, and Oklahoma. Those were unfortunately the toughest teams WVU faced this year. He did not "crumble under better competition".

As a matter of fact, in the games were it was truly QB vs QB in a shoot-out, such as Baylor, he won the shoot-out going 45/51 (88%) for 656 yards and 8 TDs. That is with his defense putting all the pressure on him to keep the scoring going so they could win 70-63.

Highlight reel? I watched every one of WVU's games (that was televised) this year, and have watched him play his previous 2 years. He regularly works through his progressions and was heralded all year as being a student of the game. If you are referring to the video posted in this thread, it's not a highlight reel. Unless you want to tell me he has a 14+ minute highlight reel. In which case, I'll again argue that he's worth our pick.

He had almost 400 attempts the only guy with more was the QB from Fresno, his numbers better be impressive for the amount of times he threw it. And when he lost those two games he was all but shut down. I thought we were discussing the #1 overall pick not who is right for the Bills.

I will admit this is a bit of a concern. You need a guy who lives and dies with winning. In interviews I have seen with him, he seems to be that guy who has fire and determination; who works hard and leads vocally and by example. This story surprises me. I hope this one anecdote is not indicative of his true competitive spirit. I don't think it is.

This is why I posted it. I think watching the kid he has tons of tools that will help him in the NFL. I have also read about him being intelligent and a student of the game. I just clearly remember saying to my sister - "look at the qb he couldn't care less" and that scares the bejeesus out of me. I hope it was just immaturity and that this one anecdote doesn't explain him but as I said it's tough to shake.

All of this said, if the Bills don't draft him - I don't give a hill of beans whether he cares or not lol.

He had almost 400 attempts the only guy with more was the QB from Fresno, his numbers better be impressive for the amount of times he threw it. And when he lost those two games he was all but shut down. I thought we were discussing the #1 overall pick not who is right for the Bills.

518 attempts (to be exact) and how many ints? He put up stats no doubt. Tds, completions, etc... but the lack of ints should be very telling to you that he makes good decisions with the ball and has accuracy add in his ypa of 8.1 and it's very telling that he wasn't just throwing screens and dump offs.

I'll save you the time - 6. 6 ints which at 518 attempts would put him among the NFL leaders (actually above every NFL qb in the league this year 1:86.3 attempts - NFL Leader Aaron Rodgers 1:69)

Edited by section122

He had two bad games, against Texas Tech and Kansas St.

Didn't look too hot vs Syracuse. To me it appeared he wasn't going through progressions in that Pinstrip Bowl. He was just chucking to that speedy dude, #1 I think, who seemed open all the time. Seen him a handful of times over the past couple of years and didn't come away saying wow, look at that QB.

....To me it appeared he wasn't going through progressions in that Pinstrip Bowl. He was just chucking to that speedy dude, #1 I think, who seemed open all the time.....

If Speedy Dude #1 was first in his progressions......and he was open all the time.....there would have been no need to go through any other progressions.

Just saying...

Didn't look too hot vs Syracuse. To me it appeared he wasn't going through progressions in that Pinstrip Bowl. He was just chucking to that speedy dude, #1 I think, who seemed open all the time. Seen him a handful of times over the past couple of years and didn't come away saying wow, look at that QB.

Ah - so he just threw to the open guy all the time? Awful!

LOL, FearTheLosing just sunk your entire argument by posting the Syracuse game. Smith makes his first pass attempt from the pocket at 9:15 in that video. On his very first pocket pass, he goes through his progression before finding an open man as the safety valve.

Smith's numbers in that game: 19/28 (68%) 201yds, 2 TD, 0 INT, 151 Rating. Yeah, real horrible.

I implore everyone in this thread to please watch the Syracuse game that has been posted. It is the one most referred to around here. Everyone says "Marrone beat Smith" or "Nassib beat Smith" as if these games are 1-on-1. Watch the tape. It's just an all-around crappy game. Dana Holgorsen loses that game for WVU by running so much against an excited Defense. He only allowed Smith to pass 28 times, his 2nd lowest of the season (first lowest was 24 times in a blowout where Smith went 23/24 407yds 3TDs). Then as usual, WVU's defense doesnt bother to show up.

It's Smith's fault the OL wasnt blocking. It's Smith's fault the WRs ran into each other at the end of the first drive. It's Smith's fault WVU's kicker missed a 30 yard FG to open the game. Puh-leeze. :rolleyes:

Marrone out-coached Holgorsen in this game, all there is to it.

Edited by DrDareustein

LOL, FearTheLosing just sunk your entire argument by posting the Syracuse game. Smith makes his first pass attempt from the pocket at 9:15 in that video. On his very first pocket pass, he goes through his progression before finding an open man as the safety valve.

Smith's numbers in that game: 19/28 (68%) 201yds, 2 TD, 0 INT, 151 Rating. Yeah, real horrible.

I implore everyone in this thread to please watch the Syracuse game that has been posted. It is the one most referred to around here. Everyone says "Marrone beat Smith" or "Nassib beat Smith" as if these games are 1-on-1. Watch the tape. It's just an all-around crappy game. Dana Holgorsen loses that game for WVU by running so much against an excited Defense. He only allowed Smith to pass 28 times, his 2nd lowest of the season (first lowest was 24 times in a blowout where Smith went 23/24 407yds 3TDs). Then as usual, WVU's defense doesnt bother to show up.

It's Smith's fault the OL wasnt blocking. It's Smith's fault the WRs ran into each other at the end of the first drive. It's Smith's fault WVU's kicker missed a 30 yard FG to open the game. Puh-leeze. :rolleyes:

Marrone out-coached Holgorsen in this game, all there is to it.

If people on this board don't allow that argument to go by wiht Fitz, then why would you expect the same people to let it go by for Geno?

rotoworld.com:

NFL Network's Mike Mayock stated on the Rich Eisen Podcast that he has a "hard time buying" West Virginia QB Geno Smith as a legitimate selection for the Chiefs at No. 1 overall.

"I have a hard time buying into that," said Mayock, fresh off studying 12 hours of Geno's tape. "I couldn't even pound the table today for a first-round quarterback, let alone a (No. 1) pick quarterback. I watched a bunch of Geno Smith and he can make every throw. He's athletic. The ball jumps out of his hand. But there's a lot of things that make me nervous about him. He misses people by wide margins for no reason. I see a little bit of hesitancy with the blitz. When that first read is not there, it's not as pretty on the second or third read. His eyes come down. He makes mistakes."

IMO, Geno is the best QB prospect in this draft and I would be ecstatic if he dropped to us at #8. I cannot see him dropping to #8 though, considering the amount of teams ahead of us that need a QB.

Mike Mayock said: Geno Smith can make every throw. He's athletic. The ball jumps out of his hand.

Exactly, and that's why he'll be gone by 8 probably. :cry:

Edited by bobobonators

If Speedy Dude #1 was first in his progressions......and he was open all the time.....there would have been no need to go through any other progressions.

Just saying...

True. But in order to make the transition to the NFL level, he'll have to learn how to go through his progressions. Losman is a good example of a QB who never learned to go through his progressions at the college level, and never learned it in the NFL either. All else being equal, I feel much more comfortable drafting a college QB who's shown he can go through his progressions, than one who is a question mark.

Forget linebacker. If the only thing the Bills accomplish in the next two years is to acquire a franchise QB, these two years will have been a success.

You can get good, solid linebackers later in the draft.

Give this man a cigar :thumbsup: . And Geno Smith ws sacked 19 times this year in 13 games. Being mobile doesnt necessarily mean being a runner. But I still prefer a Tyler Wilson just 'cuz of his attitude but we have to have a QB. A solid QB makes every position stronger

I don't think the Eagles will take him just because I think it's too high of a grade for him. Sure he's arguably the best QB but there are so many sure thing position players that are highly touted that I think it would be a waste to draft Geno so high. The best part about Chip Kelly's offense IMO is that it can be successful WITHOUT a great QB! Think of how many "mobile" qb's are out there that are available. Nobody wants them because they aren't successful in the typical NFL system. But in a system like Chip Kelly's I think they would flourish. I bet Chip will just stock up on these QB's that most teams don't want and get them for next to nothing. No use wasting a high draft choice on a QB imo

If people on this board don't allow that argument to go by wiht Fitz, then why would you expect the same people to let it go by for Geno?

True, but Fitz has proven to be a wildly inaccurate QB with a weak arm, regardless of how the rest of the team plays. Smith is neither inaccurate or weak.

But I definitely get your point that people have a hard time separating individual versus team performance.

True. But in order to make the transition to the NFL level, he'll have to learn how to go through his progressions. Losman is a good example of a QB who never learned to go through his progressions at the college level, and never learned it in the NFL either. All else being equal, I feel much more comfortable drafting a college QB who's shown he can go through his progressions, than one who is a question mark.

Then Smith makes your grade.

Edited by DrDareustein