QB class worst in decade (article)

TPS

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So many Too many angles to go with this article. So, this will make it quick, painless and easy:

• Russel Wilson was not graded that highly, nor was Dalton
  • The class may grade lower with top end talent but just because the pool is shallow doesn't mean it's not long. That is to say, there are going to be several QB's in this class that will be in this league 10 years, though not a single one could end up being an All-Pro
  • Ryan Leaf was graded higher by many then Peyton Manning, and Eli was not believed to have been as good as Philip Rivers.
  • A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. If we find a QB we like now that falls in our laps it is much safer taking that player now then it is to wait and see what we could get next year.

Alright, my personal take is that I do not think we will even go QB in the first 3 rounds. We could go with someone like that Kansas kid in the 3rd, or Manuel is he falls to the second but there is no way we pull the trigger on a QB blindly. Nix hasn't yet with much better QB's on the board and I do not think he will this year.

So many Too many angles to go with this article. So, this will make it quick, painless and easy:

• The class may grade lower with top end talent but just because the pool is shallow doesn't mean it's not long. That is to say, there are going to be several QB's in this class that will be in this league 10 years, though not a single one could end up being an All-Pro
  • Ryan Leaf was graded higher by many then Peyton Manning, and Eli was not believed to have been as good as Philip Rivers.
  • A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. If we find a QB we like now that falls in our laps it is much safer taking that player now then it is to wait and see what we could get next year.

Alright, my personal take is that I do not think we will even go QB in the first 3 rounds. We could go with someone like that Kansas kid in the 3rd, or Manuel is he falls to the second but there is no way we pull the trigger on a QB blindly. Nix hasn't yet with much better QB's on the board and I do not think he will this year.

How dare you talk with rationality on this board!!! lol

Yeah Kolb signals what I felt was happening all along, they are over doing research to know which 1-2 guys they can get in the 2nd or a trade back into the 1st that might be the guy. We aren't going QB at #8 and it wouldn't shock me to see a serious attempt to trade down.

Yeah, based on this offseason it seems like business as usual at OBD wrt to QB. I don't see them going all-in on a QB after not doing so in any of the last 53 drafts.

Unless there is a surefire lock like Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning within easy reach there is always a plausible excuse not to.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

This team has too many needs to spend a pick on a QB. We need impact players on defense and a wide receiver who can open up the passing game. Whether Kolb is the QB of the future remains to be seen. It seems like a lot of money was spent on Kolb so the assumption has to be he is the man for this season. .

I think the Bills do not take a QB in this draft and roll the dice by waiting until next year.

I have to agree, although I don't think we will be in the Manziel sweepstakes next year. I get the argument Buddy hasn't taken a chance on a QB, but I wouldn't take one let alone two this year in the first 3 rounds. We need play-makers on offense and defense. I don't get the Geno love. I know this is the status quo mentality at OBD, but if we do hit on some play makers rounds 1-3, next years deep QB class really makes sense to me.

As a former "if Geno is there at 8 take him guy", I say do everything you can to trade down without giving up value according to the charts and get extra picks. We have so many holes and we have not used FA to fill them. Take the best value there to fill a position of need. If a QB you really believe in is there in the 2nd take him. Otherwise take one available in the latter rounds as a developmental gamble. I would prefer a WR, LB or TE in the first two rounds, if the talent is there. We do need a guard or O tackle to fill Lev's hole in the latter rounds. But NO reaching, period!

That`s why we wait until next year. We have so many other holes to fill. Take the best this class has to offer and move on. Do you really want a Nassib type player who`s ranked 5th in Mayocks Q.B. rating ? Take the linebackers ,receivers, linemen and move on. QB ,running back next year.

I agree, especially when it comes to the "Russel Wilson would be a first round pick if he was four inches taller" argument in retrospect. I keep wondering if the "Tyler Wilson has small hands" argument is going to sound the same way.

But I also agree that it's looking like QB isn't our first pick. So be it. Kolb gives us security for at least a decent chunk of the year, and we can start developing players and teaching our system to a guy with a few flaws.

Edited by Whitewalker Merriman

If anyone can tell me what made Gabbert, Locker, Ponder, Tanneyhill and 28 year old Brandon Weeden so much better prospects than Manuel, Nassib, Barkley, Smith and Wilson, I'd like to hear it. Flawed college QBs that have potential to be winners are there most every draft. Tom Brady is still an unathletic, girly man. Being successful is more about developing a skillset that can overcome flaws and less about eliminating them.

Why is Smith getting trashed so much as of late. I havent really read up on anything, just seen headlines here and there about it.

Because a couple teams in the back half of the top ten are trying hard to push his stock down?

If anyone can tell me what made Gabbert, Locker, Ponder, Tanneyhill and 28 year old Brandon Weeden so much better prospects than Manuel, Nassib, Barkley, Smith and Wilson, I'd like to hear it. Flawed college QBs that have potential to be winners are there most every draft. Tom Brady is still an unathletic, girly man. Being successful is more about developing a skillset that can overcome flaws and less about eliminating them.

I think Tannehill looked OK last year,but based on what you have seen from Gabbert, Locker, Ponder (2 years each) and Weeden - do you want any of them?

I think the Bills do not take a QB in this draft and roll the dice by waiting until next year.

There are too many variables to wait until next year. Top two QBs are sophomores, they may decide to stay another year. Or the Bills somehow win too many games and only get a shot at forth or fifth rated guy. Or injuries. Or the top guys next year have a bad year and no longer look that great, so then what wait another year? Not drafting QBs is what got us here.

I think Tannehill looked OK last year,but based on what you have seen from Gabbert, Locker, Ponder (2 years each) and Weeden - do you want any of them?

Over what we have, yes.

There are too many variables to wait until next year. Top two QBs are sophomores, they may decide to stay another year. Or the Bills somehow win too many games and only get a shot at forth or fifth rated guy. Or injuries. Or the top guys next year have a bad year and no longer look that great, so then what wait another year? Not drafting QBs is what got us here.

Over what we have, yes.

Jake Locker: 56% 10 TDs, 11 INTs

Christian Ponder: 62% 18 TDs, 12 INTs - this is pretty decent, but he had the GREATEST rushing performance in NFL history to open up the passing game

Brandon Weeden: 57%, 14 TDs, 17 INTs - Browns are so unsold that they are considering picking another QB high.

Blaine Gabbert: 58% 9 TDs, 6 INTs

Ryan Fitzpatrick: 61% 24 TDs, 16 INTs

My point isn't to trash any of these QBs - one or more of them might improve, but most were not even as good as Fitz was last year.

I would want better than that if I were to invest the 8th overall pick in the draft.

Edited by OldTimer1960