QB class worst in decade (article)

TPS

This is true. Yet some teams strike gold. I'd love to see some good research into how that happens. Is it fit with a system? Is it that that player gets a few years to learn under a successful operation? Is it that the rest of the team is so good that he can't help but succeed? These things might describe a guy like Bulger, but they don't describe how a guy like Brady comes in and simply TAKES OVER the league for a team that was sort of a fringey playoff team for awhile. Maybe he is just an outlier, a guy everybody thinks they should have seen but whose combo of work ethic and untapped potential is uncommon.

I tend to think that the number of Brady-like situations is so small that they can be simply looked at as aberrations with no commonality amongst them.

In the last 25 years.....after the 36th pick in the draft.....there is only one.....Tom Brady......unless one wants to count Wilson as well after only one year in the NFL.

Schaub would be the next level down IMO.....but is alone in that skill level bracket as well.

If you include all of the thousands of undrafted QBs as well.....only Warner can be added.

Particularly with this QB draft class....the worst in a decade(as the OPs article claims).....if any given QB in this draft falls to our #41 pick......he most very likely hasn't got even a glimmer of a chance of "that something special".....and we should select a different position IMO.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to think that the number of Brady-like situations is so small that they can be simply looked at as aberrations with no commonality amongst them.

In the last 25 years.....after the 36th pick in the draft.....there is only one.....Tom Brady......unless one wants to count Wilson as well after only one year in the NFL.

Schaub would be the next level down IMO.....but is alone in that skill level bracket as well.

If you include all of the thousands of undrafted QBs as well.....only Warner can be added.

Particularly with this QB draft class....the worst in a decade(as the OPs article claims).....if any given QB in this draft falls to our #41 pick......he most very likely hasn't got even a glimmer of a chance of "that something special".....and we should select a different position IMO.

With all due respect, Kurt Warner and Tony Romo wen't drafted. Hasselback was a 6th or 7th rounder and had a very good career. We hate him now but if a rookie put up Fitz' (7th rounder) #s from last year, we'd all be very happy. Kaepernick went #45.

I get that people are scared with using the #8 pick on a QB but isn't every draft pick risky? Robert Gallery, Rolando McClain, Aaron Curry were all thought to be super safe picks. These "experts" miss so bad on QBs, why do people trust them? Marrone took an unheralded kid in Nassib and made him into a potential 1st round pick. I'd trust him over the draft "experts." And if a guy is a QB who can potentially take this team to the playoffs, an #8 overall pick is a small price to pay.

Again, you can't get a franchise QB if you don't take a chance.

With all due respect, Kurt Warner and Tony Romo wen't drafted. Hasselback was a 6th or 7th rounder and had a very good career. We hate him now but if a rookie put up Fitz' (7th rounder) #s from last year, we'd all be very happy. Kaepernick went #45.

I mentioned Warner as undrafted(line 4).....and Romo doesn't come close to the talent level that we are talking about IMO(though his new contract does lol).

Hasselback etc....I was responding to RuntheDamnBall about elite level QBs......and I personally couldn't give a toss about the stats our rookie QB will put up, I only care whether he is going to be great....or not great.

Kaepernick went #36

I get that people are scared with using the #8 pick on a QB but isn't every draft pick risky? Robert Gallery, Rolando McClain, Aaron Curry were all thought to be super safe picks. These "experts" miss so bad on QBs, why do people trust them? Marrone took an unheralded kid in Nassib and made him into a potential 1st round pick. I'd trust him over the draft "experts." And if a guy is a QB who can potentially take this team to the playoffs, an #8 overall pick is a small price to pay.

Again, you can't get a franchise QB if you don't take a chance.

.....but the experts nearly always recognize the potential for greatness at the QB position.....thus nearly all of the great QBs(last 25 years) were selected inside the top 36 picks. The NFL scouts actually do a fantastic job in regards to QB analysis.

I totally agree with your final thoughts though. Effectively I was trying to point out that if we don't take a chance in the 1st round.....we might as well not bother taking a chance in the 2nd.

I mentioned Warner as undrafted(line 4).....and Romo doesn't come close to the talent level that we are talking about IMO(though his new contract does lol).

Hasselback etc....I was responding to RuntheDamnBall about elite level QBs......and I personally couldn't give a toss about the stats our rookie QB will put up, I only care whether he is going to be great....or not great.

What about better, but not great? I still take that plunge. Improvement at that position will make the whole team better even if it isn't elite.

This is true. Yet some teams strike gold. I'd love to see some good research into how that happens. Is it fit with a system? Is it that that player gets a few years to learn under a successful operation? Is it that the rest of the team is so good that he can't help but succeed? These things might describe a guy like Bulger, but they don't describe how a guy like Brady comes in and simply TAKES OVER the league for a team that was sort of a fringey playoff team for awhile. Maybe he is just an outlier, a guy everybody thinks they should have seen but whose combo of work ethic and untapped potential is uncommon.

Well... I'd say some dumb luck. If there was an obvious answer, there'd be a lot more Tom Brady's.... Or I guess none at all as they'd all go in the top 3 picks instead of falling if easily spotted.

Any 22 year old that ranks in the top ten or so qb prospects any given year meets some sort of minimum standard that gives them a shot to win.... But it takes a perfect storm to turn that lotto ticket into a million bucks. Brady physically transformed in a way you don't often see. I still don't get how that happened for him, as its pretty rare to see a qb change his physique like he did. Start rolling in generally great health, a couple instances of dumb luck, a coach that was better than his résumé showed at that point, tremendous stability in the franchise, getting a real shot at the right point in his career arc(even if it was at drews expense)... But it's not all luck. His personality type seemed to be just right.

I also don't buy the nfl biases like many on this board but its possible he got a little help along the way too....

Montana was drafted in the third yes?