Draft that will make you want to jump off a building

I do not understand the aversion to corners by some on this board. Corner is a very important position, especially in the current pass-happy NFL. I understand that it appears that they misfired on Aaron Williams, but I wouldn't give up on him yet as he might be a better player at safety. Beyond that, they have drafted Stephon Gilmore in the first recently, but not a lot of other corners high in the recent past.

Well I'll try to explain why. I live in Pennsylvania surrounded by Steeler fans. They have consistently had one of the best defenses for over a decade in the NFL. Now quick tell me the no.1 corners they have drafted in the last 10 years.....I'll wait and remember I said corners. And here's a shock Gilmore isnt a shutdown corner, he maybe good but shutdown, I dont think so. Maybe he can make a probowl before we put him in the HOF. There is a true shut down corner maybe once every 10 years. The key to a good defense is pressure, the Steelers attack the opposing Qbs, they get sacks, they get fumbles, they hurry throws, they shut down the run. Now to me, it doesnt take a genius to see what the Steelers have been doing is working and what the Bills have been doing has not. Building a team with backs, be they RBs or CBs is not a very bright strategy. But hey maybe in year 14 of doing the same thing over and over this time it will work, but I doubt it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So brooks was in the 4th, which means 2 out of 9 where DB's. There are generally a minimum of 4 DB's on the field at a time (2 safeties and 2 Corners.

So about 22% of Nix's top 3 picks are for a position that makes up a minimum of 18% of all 22 players on the field. If we regularly play a 5 DB set, the position takes up almost 23% of the total field.

How dare Nix draft proportionally to the number of players at that position on the field.

It should have been 9 QBs. Draft them til you find one!

Well I'll try to explain why. I live in Pennsylvania surrounded by Steeler fans. They have consistently had one of the best defenses for over a decade in the NFL. Now quick tell me the no.1 corners they have drafted in the last 10 years.....I'll wait and remember I said corners. And here's a shock Gilmore isnt a shutdown corner, he maybe good but shutdown, I dont think so. Maybe he can make a probowl before we put him in the HOF. There is a true shut down corner maybe once every 10 years. The key to a good defense is pressure, the Steelers attack the opposing Qbs, they get sacks, they get fumbles, they hurry throws, they shut down the run. Now to me, it doesnt take a genius to see what the Steelers have been doing is working and what the Bills have been doing has not. Building a team with backs, be they RBs or CBs is not a very bright strategy. But hey maybe in year 14 of doing the same thing over and over this time it will work, but I doubt it.

While you posted that, Ike Taylor was beat again by Thomas on Denver

It should have been 9 QBs. Draft them til you find one!

While you posted that, Ike Taylor was beat again by Thomas on Denver

While you posted that Ike Taylor was polishing one of his superbowl rings and you, Leodis McKelvin and Aaron Williams were at home in January watching Taylor get beat in a playoff game.

Concur.

Check out the starting corners in the NFL. Almost all of them are 1st and 2nd round picks.

I love taking corners in the 1st-- low bust risk , little learning curve, cheaper than free agent corners.

But then Seattle has an UFA corner in Brandon Browner. So it seems they may not need to be 1st or 2nd rounders.

Concur.

Check out the starting corners in the NFL. Almost all of them are 1st and 2nd round picks.

I love taking corners in the 1st-- low bust risk , little learning curve, cheaper than free agent corners.

Yes, early defensive backs is the way to go. Especially when a team has no decent quarterback. Drafting Williams and Gilmore insted of quarterbacks is why we are such a respected, winning team.

But then Seattle has an UFA corner in Brandon Browner. So it seems they may not need to be 1st or 2nd rounders.

UFA qb: romo, warner

UFA rb: arian foster, fred jackson

UFA wr: wes welker, victor cruz

UFA te: antonio gates

UFA ol: jason peters, jeff saturday

UFA lb: james harrison, bart scott, fletcher

UFA dl pat williams...

In fact, why are we even drafting 1st and 2nd rounders at all, when we could just stockpile UDFA's at every position.

Concur.

Lucky for us, our starting 3 corners are two #1s and a #2...

After reading the Kiper Mock Thread it got me thinking about a draft that people would hate. I am not talking about something ridiculous like a punter in the 1st round but guys that just do not make sense (kind of like Whitner when Ngata was on the board). I guess that I will take a shot:

1st - Jonathan Cooper

2nd - John Jenkins

3rd - Mike Glennon

I hate the idea of a guard in the top 10, I think that DT is not a need at all (especially with Branch signing) and I just do not like Glennon as a prospect. I like his arm but not much else appeals to me. I would hate the above draft.

I only went 3 rounds because I think that it is really difficult to hate a 6th round pick before they play a game. You can always use 20/20 hindsight on mid-late round picks but at the time you are filling holes.

yours???

If we can get Glennon in the 3rd round, that will be the biggest coup of the draft. Glennon will be a "franchise" QB in the NFL. My dream mock draft would be:

1) Lane Johnson-OT

2) Mike Glennon-QB

3) Quinton Patton/DaRick Rogers/Robert Woods-WR

4) Gavin Escobar-TE

5) AJ Klein/Chase Thomas- LB

6) Alec Lemon-WR

I would want to surround my QBs with as much talent as possible to help him succeed. Our defense, as bad as it was last year, played well enough for us to win games.

Well...I definitely don't want an OG at #8...That much I know for certain...I'm not crazy about any of the WR's at #8 either...

It would be hard to argue with just about any pick on the Defensive side because there are so many needs...But I would not be too happy about an interior D-Lineman...I don't believe in taking Safeties in the Top 10...And outside of Milliner, I don't think any of these CB's is worthy of the #8 overall pick...

I'm just hoping the Bills trade down and grab whatever QB they like most in the 1st... B-)

UFA qb: romo, warner

UFA rb: arian foster, fred jackson

UFA wr: wes welker, victor cruz

UFA te: antonio gates

UFA ol: jason peters, jeff saturday

UFA lb: james harrison, bart scott, fletcher

UFA dl pat williams...

In fact, why are we even drafting 1st and 2nd rounders at all, when we could just stockpile UDFA's at every position.

Point taken. We just need to find the talent in rounds 1-6 and UDFA.

Lucky for us, our starting 3 corners are two #1s and a #2...

Right, and McKelvin and Williams have failed to live up to where they were drafted. If you can't evaluate players it doesn't matter what position you draft.

The last time the Bills made the playoffs they had Thomas Smith and Antoine Winfield. The last time they had a winning season they had Nate Clements, Terrence McGee and Jabari Greer. Since that time, not only has the league become far more pass happy, the position has also become more difficult to play. And yet we should ignore that the CBs on those teams were significantly better than what we have now?

Don't get me wrong, there are more important positions than CB. But there are also certainly less important positions, too. A team that already has a DL in place but has mediocre cover guys should consider Milliner, especially in a pressure scheme.

Obviously QB comes first. If a franchise guy is there you don't pass on him for anything.

Yeah, but that's rare. I think if you look at the rosters of most teams, you'll find mostly 1st and 2nd rounders Starting at corner.

Makes sense too-- I think corner is a position where you need an elite player and it is a position where it's easy to identify and draft someone who is going to be elite. It seems rare for there to be 1st round busts that are corners and rare for there to be low picks who end up being starting corners. It happens, but it is infrequent.

Yeah, but that's rare. I think if you look at the rosters of most teams, you'll find mostly 1st and 2nd rounders Starting at corner.

Makes sense too-- I think corner is a position where you need an elite player and it is a position where it's easy to identify and draft someone who is going to be elite. It seems rare for there to be 1st round busts that are corners and rare for there to be low picks who end up being starting corners. It happens, but it is infrequent.

I don't know the stats but my instinct is that you're wrong here. Off the top of my head I can think of a slew of first-round (and high second-round) corners who were busts. We have two of them. The Patriots and Dolphins each have several over the past few years. I don't think corner has a lower bust rate than other positions in round 1. If anything, offensive linemen have a lower bust rate.