Draft that will make you want to jump off a building

After reading the Kiper Mock Thread it got me thinking about a draft that people would hate. I am not talking about something ridiculous like a punter in the 1st round but guys that just do not make sense (kind of like Whitner when Ngata was on the board). I guess that I will take a shot:

1st - Jonathan Cooper

2nd - John Jenkins

3rd - Mike Glennon

I hate the idea of a guard in the top 10, I think that DT is not a need at all (especially with Branch signing) and I just do not like Glennon as a prospect. I like his arm but not much else appeals to me. I would hate the above draft.

I only went 3 rounds because I think that it is really difficult to hate a 6th round pick before they play a game. You can always use 20/20 hindsight on mid-late round picks but at the time you are filling holes.

yours???

Edited by Kirby Jackson

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading the Kiper Mock Thread it got me thinking about a draft that people would hate. I am not talking about something ridiculous like a punter in the 1st round but guys that just do not make sense (kind of like Whitner when Ngata was on the board). I guess that I will take a shot:

1st - Jonathan Cooper

2nd - John Jenkins

3rd - Mike Glennon

I hate the idea of a guard in the top 10, I think that DT is not a need at all (especially with Branch signing) and I just do not like Glennon as a prospect. I like his arm but not much else appeals to me. I would hate the above draft.

I only went 3 rounds because I think that it is really difficult to hate a 6th round pick before they play a game. You can always use 20/20 hindsight on mid-late round picks but at the time you are filling holes.

yours???

I wouldn't jump off a building if that were the Bills draft, but I would be very hard pressed not to shove you off one.

A corner, any corner and I maybe done with this team.

I do not understand the aversion to corners by some on this board. Corner is a very important position, especially in the current pass-happy NFL. I understand that it appears that they misfired on Aaron Williams, but I wouldn't give up on him yet as he might be a better player at safety. Beyond that, they have drafted Stephon Gilmore in the first recently, but not a lot of other corners high in the recent past.

I do not understand the aversion to corners by some on this board. Corner is a very important position, especially in the current pass-happy NFL. I understand that it appears that they misfired on Aaron Williams, but I wouldn't give up on him yet as he might be a better player at safety. Beyond that, they have drafted Stephon Gilmore in the first recently, but not a lot of other corners high in the recent past.

Not to mention, this... 1990 16 James Williams Defensive back Fresno State 1991 26 Henry Jones Defensive back Illinois 1992 27 John Fina Tackle Arizona 1993 28 Thomas Smith Defensive back North Carolina 1994 27 Jeff Burris Defensive back Notre Dame

If you count the top 3 rounds, Nix has used 3 of his 9 draft picks on cornerbacks (Williams, Gilmore, Brooks).

On top of that, our roster still has a former first rounder from the last regime (McKelvin).

We've used plenty of resources on that position. Time to focus our attention to some areas.

i always liked Thomas Smith.

If you count the top 3 rounds, Nix has used 3 of his 9 draft picks on cornerbacks (Williams, Gilmore, Brooks).

On top of that, our roster still has a former first rounder from the last regime (McKelvin).

We've used plenty of resources on that position. Time to focus our attention to some areas.

ok I'm not going to look it up but wasnt Brooks later?

1st - Jonathan Cooper

2nd - John Jenkins

3rd - Mike Glennon

yours???

Does not bother me at all 3 needs addressed appropriately. The presence of Spiller is an impact multiplier when drafting offensive line. The right O linemen combined with an elite back allow you to dictate to the D. In addition with a QB like Kolb he was shell shocked last year by a poor line.

I kinda have an order of importance - (QB), (4-3 RDE, LOT, CB), (NT, WR, TE, 3-4 OLB, FS, C, 4-3 MLB, RT, 4-3 DT), ( 4-3 LDE, SS, 3-4 ILB, 3-4 DE, RB, 4-3 OLB, OG, FB, P, K )

QB is kinda a strange position as a great QB is worth everything while an average QB is worth almost nothing, other positions have a much less steep drop off

I would not jump off a building regardless of how the draft goes. However, I would be more than a little ticked if the Bills waste their #1 on Nassib without trading way down. My two cents.

I like Milner but Xavier Rhodes at 8 would not make me happy.

Corner is vital in this defense and we need to add one at some point. I'd be pleased if we ended up with Milliner. The corner debate is very different than it was in the Jauron days with the change in scheme. We're going to bring pressure and we need guys who can cover on an island. McKelvin and Brooks haven't earned being handed the #2 and #3 spots without competition. It isn't quite our most desperate position but it is a need, and if Milliner is there he's probably the best value on the board.

edit- Also I agree I don't want Rhodes or any CB outside Milliner in the 1st.

Edited by Big Bad Boone

So brooks was in the 4th, which means 2 out of 9 where DB's. There are generally a minimum of 4 DB's on the field at a time (2 safeties and 2 Corners.

So about 22% of Nix's top 3 picks are for a position that makes up a minimum of 18% of all 22 players on the field. If we regularly play a 5 DB set, the position takes up almost 23% of the total field.

How dare Nix draft proportionally to the number of players at that position on the field.

Concur.

Check out the starting corners in the NFL. Almost all of them are 1st and 2nd round picks.

I love taking corners in the 1st-- low bust risk , little learning curve, cheaper than free agent corners.