Bills sign UFA DT Alan Branch to 1 year deal

I'm already with the lack of sacks and how he's not a "penetrating" player, but are his roughly 2 tackles per game going to be enough to stop the run?

Maybe he takes on 2 players and allows other to make tackles? It's not always about stats.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm already with the lack of sacks and how he's not a "penetrating" player, but are his roughly 2 tackles per game going to be enough to stop the run?

How many tackles do you want him to have? It's not about tackles for these run stuffing DT's. Just because you don't get a tackle doesn't mean you didn't make a play. Go check Sam Adam's career stats..

But you also have DL Kelsay, Merriman, spencer johnson and kyle moore not currently on the roster. I would think they might want to replace a guy or two there. And if they classify Mario and/or anderson as olb's that leaves you even shorter on DL. I think there will be room for both and I think he replaces Johnson more than anyone else.

Could well be. I just had the feeling going into this off season that the FO was going to take a hard look at whether or not KW would ever return to form. Maybe he's not a every down player anymore. Don't know, but what you say makes sense as well.

Wow...everyone actually...likes...this idea?

We need a dissenter and we need one fast or else The Wall will implode.

Well, he's described as being a 3-4 NT, which would have Dareus and K Williams flanking them both on the outside. With Mario as the Jack Back, acting as a pure rusher/DE in the 46 subpackage, Lawson/Anderson handling rushing downs and pass plays respectively, maybe a rookie ILB in the middle with Bradham, and scott (maybe) back as a safety, suddenly our defense doesn't look so sparse.

Edited by Whitewalker Merriman

As a guy who follows the Hawks, I will admit to being a big fan of this option. Branch and Red Bryant manning the middle of the Hawks D last year made for a very large interior line that defended passes well, blocked a few kicks and held opposing RB's to the 5th lowest ypg in the league last year. He wasn't the only reason, but he was a noticeable piece of it. I like the threesome of Williams, Williams and Dareus, but I think the mix of players and schemes Pettine seems to look to use will require a guy like Branch. He can play the NT and a DT well, so I can't complain about quality depth on that front. And, the Seahawks not resigning him comes down to the finances required to sign Michael Bennett, Percy Harvin and Cliff Avril. They signed a guy on the "cheap" (Tony McDaniel) to fill Branch's role. The quality is a downgrade, but interior linemen weren't the most integral part of Bevell's Defense last year and I don't see that changing this coming year.

Edit: Very happy to see the above Post!

Go Bills!

Edited by VanCity

Nice. I like the move, although not too keen on the one year deals.

I feel the same way. We couldn't get a 2 or 3 year deal?

Nice to have more depth for the D-Line. I'm sure Branch will get his share of playing time.

Wow, this fits both of the casual fan's FA criteria:

a) Heard of him

b) Got him on the cheap

Championship!

I am a bit past the "casual fan" level and he fits my criteria.

a) Has skills

b) Fills need