Ryan Nassib - QB - Syracuse

The thing about Nassib is there is catch-22 if no one picks him before 8th and the Bills pass on him ... he may fall pretty far. If I am a GM looking for a QB and his former head coach and OC pass, I think to myself "If they have no confidence in him how can I trust what my scouts tell me about him". Just a thought but that may leave him there until round two.

I don't know if I take that chance if I want him but that may be an avenue of subterfuge for the FO.

I was thinking the same thing. Draft Wilson at #8, no one wants Nassib now that his HC passes on him. Grab Nassib in the 2nd.!!!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's possible. But it didn't seem to have an affect when Joe Philbin was named the coach of the Dolphins, he had Matt Flynn on his team, and didn't really go strong after him, but Seattle did. Of course, one could say they had their eyes on Tannehill and that is why they didn't. But Tannehill was a big risk regardless of what the OC Sherman might say, Sherman wasn't the decision maker, and they didn't know where Tannehill was going to be drafted.

Because there is no clear cut QB prospect this year, I would imagine that every team's Big Board of the top 7-8 QBs is different (however many teams really need one) There are very likely 32 different combinations of them, or close to it. And I would imagine each of the top 5 QBs rated will be #1 on someone's board.

Also, these guys all, rightfully, have huge egos. They all think they can spot talent. If a team is SO high on Nassib from their own scouting, and want to draft him in, say, the Top 20, they are likely not going to let the Bills passing on Nassib affect them much. especially if the Bills take a different position, or a player, like say geno or Wilson, who are also very highly rated, and that team thought highly of too.

I honestly don't get the nervousness over the possibility of losing out on drafting Nassib by the Bills 2nd round pick. It seems as if you think he's a very special QB we must have. I've read a lot of articles and have seen his videos, I just don't see a special player there. I see a game manager. I see an Andy Dalton or Christian Ponder. I understand people getting attached to certain players, but I just do not understand the want to draft such a blah and average talent at #8. I've been checking out media tweets from the senior bowl and I think this guy nailed it on Nassib...

https://twitter.com/dpbrugler

@dpbrugler / Nassib reminds me a lot of a mix of Jake Locker and Colt McCoy. Good enough to start at the next level but the flaws are there

@dpbrugler / Entering the season I gave ‪#Syracuse‬ QB Ryan Nassib an early to mid 2nd round rnd grade. After his SR season and SR Bowl wk, I stand by that

There will no doubt be a player that has Nassib's abilities and maybe more in the 2nd round. I'm talking about Manuel, Jones, Bray, Dysart. So that's five (including Nassib) 2nd round quality QB prospect that the Bills will probably have their pick of at least three of them. Nassib simply doesn't have the ceiling near of what it will take to beat the elite QBs of the NFC in the Superbowl this next decade. You need special talents and he's just good at a lot of things while being master of none.

Edited by 1billsfan

I honestly don't get the nervousness over the possibility of losing out on drafting Nassib by the Bills 2nd round pick. It seems as if you think he's a very special QB we must have. I've read a lot of articles and have seen his videos, I just don't see a special player there. I see a game manager. I see an Andy Dalton or Christian Ponder. I understand people getting attached to certain players, but I just do not understand the want to draft such a blah and average talent at #8. I've been checking out media tweets from the senior bowl and I think this guy nailed it on Nassib...

https://twitter.com/dpbrugler

@dpbrugler / Nassib reminds me a lot of a mix of Jake Locker and Colt McCoy. Good enough to start at the next level but the flaws are there

@dpbrugler / Entering the season I gave ‪#Syracuse‬ QB Ryan Nassib an early to mid 2nd round rnd grade. After his SR season and SR Bowl wk, I stand by that

There will no doubt be a player that has Nassib's abilities and maybe more in the 2nd round. I'm talking about Manuel, Jones, Bray, Dysart. So that's five (including Nassib) 2nd round quality QB prospect that the Bills will probably have their pick of at least three of them. Nassib simply doesn't have the ceiling near of what it will take to beat the elite QBs of the NFC in the Superbowl this next decade. You need special talents and he's just good at a lot of things while being master of none.

I was just responding to a post. I have no idea if Nassib is good or not, or whether we should draft him. To me, from what little I have seen, I think there is a lot to like, and a lot to be very concerned about. I don't love any of the options, and in the last few years I have liked quite a few.

I do, however, think that Nassib will go in the first round to someone, and would be willing to bet on it (unless he tanks in the Senior Bowl/combine). Simply because guys like him, with good arms, good intelligence, ending their careers on a clear ascension, decent size and mobility and production, shoot up the draft boards in the months and weeks leading up to it.

I was just responding to a post. I have no idea if Nassib is good or not, or whether we should draft him. To me, from what little I have seen, I think there is a lot to like, and a lot to be very concerned about. I don't love any of the options, and in the last few years I have liked quite a few.

I do, however, think that Nassib will go in the first round to someone, and would be willing to bet on it (unless he tanks in the Senior Bowl/combine). Simply because guys like him, with good arms, good intelligence, ending their careers on a clear ascension, decent size and mobility and production, shoot up the draft boards in the months and weeks leading up to it.

I don't believe that Nassib will go in the first round. To me, his chances are pretty small. I think the only three QB first round draft picks are Smith, Barkley and Wilson (he doesn't make it past Dallas IMO).

What the Bills' plan (if they really do want him specifically) is to probably trade up ahead of a team targeting Nassib at the beginning of the second round. Contradicting myself, he could make it into the very bottom of the first round in that scenario...LOL

I think there's almost no way the Bills draft Ryan Nassib at #8. I just don't see any way of selling him going there and passing on REAL NFL talent. If they do go ahead and do that then I think it will be another disaster pick that sets this team back another three years.

You want to know what I'm fearful of? I have this gut feeling the Jets are going to have the first pick overall in 2014 in a draft pack full of real "franchise" QBs. I wish the Bills could somehow swing a trade back in the first round this year to get their hands on a 2014 first round pick and even trade Fred Jackson for a 2014 pick as potential ammo for a "trade up for a franchise QB" situation. If Nassib really was a franchise QB do you think there would be so much debate on him at #8? I think he could become a good QB like Andy Dalton, but that's not good enough when your goal is to eventually win a Superbowl. BTW, I have no problem with them taking a flyer on Nassib with their second round pick. This team does desperately need QBs!

http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2013manuel.php

"Nassib did not look good during the game, going 4-of-10 for 44 yards and a terrible interception. It was only one week in which he was unfamiliar with his receivers, but he didn't exactly do himself any favors in terms of increasing his first-round chances. In fact, one team he's been linked to isn't quite interested in him. Pauline reported that the Bills, despite being coached by Nassib's former head coach Doug Marrone, aren't very intrigued about the possibility of drafting Nassib.

If Pauline's report is true, it's pretty damning for Nassib. We've seen Charlie Weis pass on Jimmy Clausen and Pete Carroll eschew drafting Taylor Mays, and look how that turned out. Still, Nassib should be a second-day draft choice."

http://walterfootbal...l2013manuel.php

"Nassib did not look good during the game, going 4-of-10 for 44 yards and a terrible interception. It was only one week in which he was unfamiliar with his receivers, but he didn't exactly do himself any favors in terms of increasing his first-round chances. In fact, one team he's been linked to isn't quite interested in him. Pauline reported that the Bills, despite being coached by Nassib's former head coach Doug Marrone, aren't very intrigued about the possibility of drafting Nassib.

If Pauline's report is true, it's pretty damning for Nassib. We've seen Charlie Weis pass on Jimmy Clausen and Pete Carroll eschew drafting Taylor Mays, and look how that turned out. Still, Nassib should be a second-day draft choice."

The "funny" thing is, his interception came when he tried to throw to fellow Orangeman Alec Lemon.

http://walterfootbal...l2013manuel.php

I think this is true test for Marrone. If Marrone feels as though Nassib is a first round pick I think it will be indicative of the type of talent evaluator he is. Nassib is no 1st or 2nd round pick. Keep in mind in the senior bowl Nassib had just as much time as the other QB's to prepare. Will Marrone get the best person to make him successful or will he be persuaded by other factors such as history and friendship. We will need to draft 2 QB's, if the Bills are interested, Nassib should be the second QB drafted. My gut tells me he will be around in round 4 or maybe 5 but clearly not in the first 2 rounds.

Edited by VADC Bills

I'm sure some of this can be attributed to "draft games." If marrone/hackett really want him, and they know all there is to know about him, best to sow the seeds of confusion...

Personally, Nassib seems to be more a 2nd round talent, and I'd hate to see us "waste" our 1st on him.

I think this is true test for Marrone. If Marrone feels as though Nassib is a first round pick I think it will be indicative of the type of talent evaluator he is. Nassib is no 1st or 2nd round pick. Keep in mind in the senior bowl Nassib had just as much time as the other QB's to prepare. Will Marrone get the best person to make him successful or will he be persuaded by other factors such as history and friendship. We will need to draft 2 QB's, if the Bills are interested, Nassib should be the second QB drafted. My gut tells me he will be around in round 4 or maybe 5 but clearly not in the first 2 rounds.

Nailed it.

I have a new feeling after the senior bowl that buddy nix drafting style of grabbing guys from down south (sec, acc) will prevail. We will draft Tyler Wilson at 8 or ej Manuel in the second...if Nassib lasts to the second well get him, but I think espn has pumped him up too much for that. We see it every year, espn jumps on a QB prospect and he shoots up boards to be over drafted. This year it will be Nassib.

I have a new feeling after the senior bowl that buddy nix drafting style of grabbing guys from down south (sec, acc) will prevail. We will draft Tyler Wilson at 8 or ej Manuel in the second...if Nassib lasts to the second well get him, but I think espn has pumped him up too much for that. We see it every year, espn jumps on a QB prospect and he shoots up boards to be over drafted. This year it will be Nassib.

Not after yesterday's game....LOL

Seriously, there is no way any team can sell drafting Ryan Nassib in the first or second round. Those picks are for QBs who have "franchise" level potential. Nassib comes from an inferior conference and he crapped his pants playing against rookie NFL level players. Nassib looks like a back up QB at the next level and that makes his worth a 4th and more probably a 5th and beyond draft pick. The 1st through 3rd round draft picks are meant for starters only.