Those who like the Kolb signing post here

I like the signing.

--> It allows Buffalo to be patient, and not "reach" for a QB. (Although...it is becoming more possible Geno may fall to us at #8 given recent developments).

--> He should help our new QB as a mentor. (and I believe we'll draft one rounds 1-3 somewhere, probably 2.

--> He is reportedly adept at the offense Hacket plans to run. (read it somewhere, sorry no link)

--> I "think" he provides more upside potential than Fitz, although I'm not certain of this.

--> He "could" flourish, and maybe "surprise" given his fresh start behind what I think is a better OL than zona provided.

--> He should make for a good QB competition at training camp. He may make Tarvaris a better player and vice versa given the competition.

---> I believe he's at least as good as Fitz overall and comes cheaper (and no draft picks surrendered) freeing up a little money for other needs.

So I'm OK with the signing. Frankly, I would have preferred Matt Hasselback, but this should work.

Thanks for creating the thread, OP.

jb

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So those of us that like the move can discuss without the many bitching and whining about it posting their crap.

So, we can only post "YAY BILLS" homer stuff here? Ok.

If Kolb can be cut without major penalty after 1 season, I like it. Kolb could be a good fit in a WCO. I'm willing to give Marrone some time...

Edited by Leelee Phoenix

Honestly, I like Fitz better. Sorry. Kolb does have some ability but I think this is the case of a horny husband where every other woman looks better. I hope for the best bit Kolb will be hard pressed to match Fitz' production.

Bottom line, I want a highly drafted rookie this year. I'm sick of journeyman & other teams trash. Here's hoping Kolb can stay healthy but I want someone fresh & unused.

Kolb will be an all-pro, and NFL comeback player of the year this season .... just wait, you'll see

But the real question is, can he run the Orange offense ????

Edited by CSBill

It's okay. Considering the Oakland pending trade and the Arizona/Palmer pending deal, everybody is covering their a**es with vet QB's. Kolb seems no worse than Palmer or Flynn. He seems more accurate than Fitz. He's our bridge guy and a good call by the FO. Would you rather have Colt McCoy? I'm good wtih this. Now let's find a true franchise guy this year or next.

"People who agree with me, please post in this thread."

That is not the purpose of a message board.

All you can do is ask.

Love the signing, not because Kolb is a likely long-term starter, but because he may not be any worse than any QB in this draft. Kolb, with a decent OL and running game could be serviceable. Draft the Lane Johnson at OLT and move Cordy Glenn to RT, move Chris Hairston to Levitre's spot and feed Spiller, Jackson the ball. When you do have to pass, Kolb will get pretty good protection with Johnson at LT and Glenn at RT with Wood in the middle.

Honestly, I like Fitz better. Sorry. Kolb does have some ability but I think this is the case of a horny husband where every other woman looks better. I hope for the best bit Kolb will be hard pressed to match Fitz' production.

Different offense than the one Fitz ran for three years. Who's to say Fitz wouldn't have struggled with Marrone's offense? Besides, Kolb seems far more accurate than Fitz. As mentioned earlier, no ground balls or way over your head throws to open guys. Even if it's a wash, it was time to move on.

So those of us that like the move can discuss without the many bitching and whining about it posting their crap.

The guy was behind the worst OL in football the last two years and had no running game, something Buffalo actually DOES have both of. We add another WR and a TE (plus Chandler coming back) the guy can get the job done.

I am sick of the Fitz comparrisons, they just aren't the same guy. This guy was highly sought after 2 years ago for a reason, Fitz... no one come knocking down his door, ever. The guy has a good enough arm, is mobile enough and has played in a very complex offense (Philly).

Now are we still drafting a QB? Sure, but I really think this changes things. I think this move was made (Again just opinion) because Whaley and Nix both didn't think that much of the QB class and IF we took one, he would need a year on the bench to develop.

I see Patterson as the pick if he is there at #8 then a QB in the 2nd.

This is surprising coming from someone who usually says no to every free agent suggestion. Good for you. I wasn't for Kolb, but he comes very cheap.

Different offense than the one Fitz ran for three years. Who's to say Fitz wouldn't have struggled with Marrone's offense? Besides, Kolb seems far more accurate than Fitz. As mentioned earlier, no ground balls or way over your head throws to open guys. Even if it's a wash, it was time to move on.

Definitely time to move on. I just hope Kolb won't prevent us from draft a young qb high.

Bottom line, I want a highly drafted rookie this year. I'm sick of journeyman & other teams trash. Here's hoping Kolb can stay healthy but I want someone fresh & unused.

Unfortunately, that is what you will get (a highly drafted rookie who becomes a journeyman) in this draft. The view that the Bills must take a QB in round 1 or 2 is the same view of the "horney husband" hoping that some rookie in a bad class will be better than whomever is available already in the NFL.

Kolb can throw past 8 yards in the NFL. So he's better than Fitz pick. He's not the long term solution, but a solution for this year. I hoep he does well as it would be a great problem to have with him coming off a great year and a draft sitting and learning.

If he doesn't do well, we cut him next year. simple. No one thinks even on this board we're going to the playoffs anyway. For those that stated "well, we'll win just enough games to not get a good draft next year", I'll take the 9 wins if we could get them. As far as next year, we can throw the farm at another tema to move up that is in worse shape than us as Washington did last year.

We're in it to win.

Unfortunately, that is what you will get (a highly drafted rookie who becomes a journeyman) in this draft. The view that the Bills must take a QB in round 1 or 2 is the same view of the "horney husband" hoping that some rookie in a bad class will be better than whomever is available already in the NFL.

I keep hearing this bad class & it annoys the hell out of me. Everyone needs to stop acting like experts. Alex Smith & Aaron Rodgers was thought to be a bad class. Romo & Warner didn't get drafted. Brady in the 6th, Kaep in the 2nd, & Wilson in the 3rd.

Face it, no one has any idea. But I know how you don't find a franchise guy, don't take a chance & that's what the Bills have done. And if the guy isn't the guy, draft another one until you get one. But hoping for the next draft class or on Fitz, Kolb, etc. helps you get 13 years without the playoffs.

The 35 yard TD to Fitzgerald in the Eagles game on the video is exactly the type of pass that has been missing from the offense during the Fitzpatric era. So at least there's that. Now if only we had a WR like Larry.

The guy was behind the worst OL in football the last two years and had no running game, something Buffalo actually DOES have both of. We add another WR and a TE (plus Chandler coming back) the guy can get the job done.

I am sick of the Fitz comparrisons, they just aren't the same guy. This guy was highly sought after 2 years ago for a reason, Fitz... no one come knocking down his door, ever. The guy has a good enough arm, is mobile enough and has played in a very complex offense (Philly).

Now are we still drafting a QB? Sure, but I really think this changes things. I think this move was made (Again just opinion) because Whaley and Nix both didn't think that much of the QB class and IF we took one, he would need a year on the bench to develop.

I see Patterson as the pick if he is there at #8 then a QB in the 2nd.

Kolb probably came cheap. Thirteen million dollars over two years isn't terrible, and we don't know what the floor for his contract numbers is. I'd rather draft a QB next year, and it looks like the coaching staff feels that way; Kolb had a poor o-line, and while I have low expectations, it will be interesting to see what happens if we can get him some weapons. I'm in favor of an offense-heavy draft without the QB, unless the scouts really like someone they see.