Brad Smith and releasing him to get cap room to sign a FA receiver

Everyone keeps saying we don't have the cap room to sign FAs. Yet we have an opportunity to release Brad Smith and use that 2.75 Million cap savings to get a receiver with more impact. He is set to get 3.75 Million this year, in the situation we are in, is he really a good value? Next year he is scheduled to make well over 4 Million, so we probably will be releasing him then anyway. I just have not seen much value from him in the past and even less in the future. He has done nothing any better that a run of the mill receiver couldn't do who got vet minimum. Unless, someone out there still believes the wildcat is still a valuable option beyond being a gadget play used a couple of times a year. It proved so effective last year for us, lol. I cant believe we could not get a FA receiver for around 3 million that would have more impact than he has. Aren't their any decent productive FA receivers who are better than our current WRs (beyond Stevie) to be had for 3 Million?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of offensive players weren't used properly in Chan's offense. We need a #2 WR and while Brad may not be that he still has a skill set that can be affective if used properly. If the plan is to use him the way Chan used him I'd say it's not worth the money....but if the new staff has some ideas to get him involved then we might see an upside.

Unbelievable that a solid hand like Nelson is gone while this completely worthless player stays for twice the money.

David Nelson cannot run routes yet, why should they have tendered him?